Prev_page Previous 1
looking for some stat advice-barbarian 04/06/2012 08:53 AM CDT
my barb is going on the riot quest in a couple of days, so I'm doing my best to circle once beforehand. usually tasks given me throws me into things that are over my head, so i'm expecting it to be a challenge. I use ME as primary weapon, and 2he as my secondary. I'd also like to reduce the RT i presently have with the 2he.

My present stats are as follows:

circle 46:

Strength : 28 Reflex : 28
Agility : 28 Charisma : 25
Discipline : 25 Wisdom : 25
Intelligence : 26 Stamina : 30

I'd like to either increase STR, AGIL or REFlex, whichever would do me the most good.

Race is human, so the cost would be identical.

Also, which abilities would you recommend for questing?

These are roars i have :
Everild's Rage
Death's Embrace
Death's Shriek
Serpent's Hiss of Warning
Banshee's Wail

I also have the normal berserks and dances to my circle.

I can't scare peccaries or elder brocket deer <the critters i normally hunt> with shriek yet, so i don't think i'll be
able to use that one.

I have noticed a reduction in RT for my bastie sword when i dance panther, which gives agil/reflex boost.
However, this dance doesn't seem to last the amount of time I'd need it to be up.

The one time I tried out baby gryphons I was able to survive in there by using berserk stone.

So any tips I can get before questing would be appreciated.

Thanks.

>

<<as I firmly believe that upstanding citizens have the inalienable right to strike down musicians whenever possible.>>
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 04/06/2012 10:22 AM CDT
If you want to dodge more, reflex. If you want to hit more, agil or strength. You're not going to train more than a stat or two from a level up so you're better off focusing on the long term goal. You said you want to reduce the 2he round time. You could use strength for that obviously, or you could get a lighter weapon. Even if it's platbarb there are weapon options.

Might want to note which dance(s) you usually use, as that might change suggestions if you're religious about using only one.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 04/06/2012 02:32 PM CDT
Discipline discipline discipline.

Discipline all night all day.

You'll gain way more from your dances by raising discipline than you would from any other stat increase at this point, until it becomes unreasonably expensive(like 2-3x as much).

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 04/20/2012 02:14 AM CDT
You mean like...

>It will cost you 150 TDPs to raise your Discipline from...

>It will cost you 63 TDPs to raise your Strength from...

Yeah......oh, and....

>It will cost you 210 TDPs to raise your Reflex from...

Granted, I'm a tog, but still.... that's insane!
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 04/20/2012 08:36 AM CDT
If only it was that cheap...
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/03/2012 07:25 PM CDT
further question ... thinking of trying this with a Barb since I read this

Disci = Y
All other Stats = X

where Y = dumping most TDP's into Disci

and X = a reasonably stat for the rest of the skills to sit at for a while.
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/04/2012 05:33 AM CDT
Discipline's really nice since it powers dance time and helps with shield blocking and hiding (if you plan on being a stealth user), but I think that would be a sub-optimal build for Barbarians. They rely heavily on physicals (especially reflex) because of their quick advancement up the critter ladder, and more points in wisdom/intelligence for quicker exp gain never hurt.

I don't think the benefits of treating discipline as a godstat outweigh the penalties of neglecting other stats. This will be even more true in 3.0, I think, when dance times will be increased substantially. Having said that, barbarians are very versatile. If X is at least a reasonable number (40+), you could do fine with that build.
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/04/2012 07:45 AM CDT

Thx's , I'll take that advice. It's still early enough in his career to be entertaining idea's.
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/04/2012 09:49 AM CDT
I took everything to 20, then physicals to 30. Then everything to 30, then physicals to 40. etc. At that point I started to customize. If I raised something first, it was agility, because I wanted to be able to hit first and foremost, because I could pretty much let the berserks take care of defence. If I was trying to be stealthy I might take disc half way to the next tier, then physicals, then everything to that tier. Then disc half way to next tier, etc etc. That is just the framework that I use I do vary from it somewhat based on my current needs and such.
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/05/2012 05:34 AM CDT
I usually raise everything to 20, 25, then 30 etc... I raise all the stats I get a racial bonus in first, then neutral stats, then the stats I get a racial penalty in. Keeping everything close, within five or ten ranks. Using this method you are taking advantage of your races bonus. At any one time your likely to be slightly "ahead", of the baseline (human).
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/05/2012 10:15 AM CDT
Until you get everything to 30, train whatever is cheapest.
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/05/2012 11:59 AM CDT
<Until you get everything to 30, train whatever is cheapest.

Does that include charisma? It would be one of my highest stats!

-An Elf
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/05/2012 12:46 PM CDT
If you use roars in training.
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/05/2012 05:20 PM CDT
It includes charisma. You don't really need to specialize in anything until after 30.
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 02:06 AM CDT
Yea, 20ish is a good base to get your other stats... but after that, I'd pump Discipline/Reflex. At lower level, you'll get a good return w/ dances by putting some extra points in Disc, combined with that it dabbles in a lot of other contests too - it's a good investment up until it's costing 1.5-2x as much as other stats... Reflex is always useful, raise it up if you want to be able to move up the critter ladder faster(My 30th MM was dancing with 4 crocs w/ 46 reflex @ 110 in defenses, no buffs).

They've always been my 2 priority stats.

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 02:31 AM CDT
Dang, 46 reflex at 30th circle? My Barb has 28 reflex at 25th circle and I thought I was doing well. I think I'll keep pumping it, I've definitely noticed major benefits.
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 02:45 AM CDT
breaking mid 40's in a stat by lvl 30 sounds like a -2 modifier i.e. prydaen.

Re: sub 40 barbs I found berserks to be god mode and dances have too little benefit and survivability, so I personal opinion is that if you plan to zerk it out during low level barb don't worry too much about building stats for dances yet.
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 02:50 AM CDT
>>Dang, 46 reflex at 30th circle?

It's a MM. So it could possibly have 9401814891 ranks in overall magic with only 110 in defenses.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 03:05 AM CDT
<Re: sub 40 barbs I found berserks to be god mode and dances have too little benefit and survivability, so I personal opinion is that if you plan to zerk it out during low level barb don't worry too much about building stats for dances yet.

As a 25th Barb, this is totally true. I can Berserk Stone & Blood together back to back multiple times and be basically invincible unless I'm in some place that I really don't belong. I've experimented with Badger a bit and use Cobra to help backtrain weapons, but overall, dances don't seem to help me nearly as much.
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 03:37 AM CDT
Possibly, but he wasn't superbuff - 200 in magics at the time. Gnome. Though even if I had chosen another race, would've still pumped Reflex.

Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 03:39 AM CDT
>> sub 40 barbs I found berserks to be god mode and dances have too little benefit and survivability, so I personal opinion is that if you plan to zerk it out during low level barb don't worry too much about building stats for dances yet.

It's all about the STR/DISC, esp at lower level - I say pump Disc since it's far more useful overall.

Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 03:58 AM CDT
>>It's all about the STR/DISC, esp at lower level - I say pump Disc since it's far more useful overall.

I would actually recommend the opposite. Dances suck at low levels, exception given to Swan having some niche usefulness. I wouldn't say they supplant berserks till 70+, so if you're interested in going the dance route, I'd hold off pumping discipline till you will actually start using dances.

Having said that, I am by no means advocating neglecting it, as it's a great stat with lots of ancillary benefits like shield blocking, hiding, and such. Keeping discipline/reflex marginally higher than your other stats is quite sound advice. I just wouldn't go above 5-10 points more than my other stats, at least not till the goal was dancing Dragon back to back.
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 04:28 AM CDT
It's the low stats that keep dances from fully blossoming - Strength and Discipline.

Getting a good head-start on Discipline helps to relieve this.

Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 04:59 AM CDT
>>It's the low stats that keep dances from fully blossoming - Strength and Discipline.

The power of dances is % based, which is why they suck at low circles, not because discipline is low. Getting max time on cobra dance at circle 25 doesn't do you much good when Blood Berserk is a bigger offensive bonus.
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 07:15 AM CDT
right now mine are at:

Strength : 32 Reflex : 30
Agility : 32 Charisma : 25
Discipline : 30 Wisdom : 25
Intelligence : 28 Stamina : 30

as a human barbarian, 52nd circle. I'm planning on getting everything to 30 then boosting discip and reflex, but i'll still be playing it by ear to see what shakes out with using forms rather than dances once 3.0 hits.

Right now I use badger most of the time, but if i get into difficulty berserk stone is still my go-to.
I did want the strangth though because my secondary is 2he, and we'll need the same in our secondary weapon as in primary weapon once 3.0 reqs go live.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 08:00 AM CDT
Berserks are a ton better than dances at lower and even mid levels. I would say use berserks until at least 50th and then start testing them from time to time to see when you should switch over. I didn't switch until circle 70 and that was with discipline as my highest stat.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 12:00 PM CDT
Looking at what I had written down for them, the percentages are Conc based and the stat boost is Disc/Str. So unless they changed em in the last 6 years since I wrote that, it'd still be the same.

Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 12:46 PM CDT
>>Berserks are a ton better than dances at lower and even mid levels. I would say use berserks until at least 50th and then start testing them from time to time to see when you should switch over. I didn't switch until circle 70 and that was with discipline as my highest stat.

This.

>>Looking at what I had written down for them, the percentages are Conc based and the stat boost is Disc/Str. So unless they changed em in the last 6 years since I wrote that, it'd still be the same.

The percentages are set, discipline only affects dance time, not strength. They've had a couple minor tweaks over the years (Ssra added a small evasion boost to Swan, for example, concentration formula was overhauled). As someone who was level 35-40 for about three years, I assure you this is how they work, and I assure you berserks are significantly stronger at that level range :P.

Many barbarians choose to use dances anyways because they dislike the systems of penalties associated with berserks, which is quite fine. Also, like I said, discipline's an awesome all around stat regardless.
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 02:02 PM CDT
>Many barbarians choose to use dances anyways because they dislike the systems of penalties associated with berserks, which is quite fine. Also, like I said, discipline's an awesome all around stat regardless.

Personally I rather like that there's drawbacks for Berserks. Toughening out hardships just seems like a very masculine, very Barbarian thing to do. I'm sad that they'll go away in 3.0.

I'm glad that dances will be renamed Forms, though. I just have a hard time not having mental images of big brawny barbarians in leotards spinning around performing Swan Lake.
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 02:51 PM CDT
<<just have a hard time not having mental images of big brawny barbarians in leotards spinning around performing Swan Lake.>>

believe me, there is absolutely nothing effeminate about Barishnikov dancing ballet. :-)

If you can get an old video of him dancing - its a treasure worth the view.

Although there's nothing either particularly masculine or feminine about my barbarian, but I assure you, she definately doesn't go hunting in a dress or gown. :-) Pure steel. A warrior, through and through. Except for the time she spends in the forge... but even there, its weapon-smithing to which her aspirations lean toward.

There's only one thing I really don't like about berserk, you can't see the stuff the critter drops, so you have to make sure you grab it right away so it doesn't either poof away, or you miss it in the scroll. <still hoping for maps!>

And, that's supposed to be going away with 3.0 as well. So... we'll see what happens.
I'm trying to hurry up and train so I can get dragon before 3.0 happens, even though I know you don't get the "full" power when you just get it.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 03:25 PM CDT
>believe me, there is absolutely nothing effeminate about Barishnikov dancing ballet. :-)
>If you can get an old video of him dancing - its a treasure worth the view.

After a quick google search for "Mikhail Baryshnikov Don Quixote" and other youtube clips.. my position remains at agree to disagree, heh.

>There's only one thing I really don't like about berserk, you can't see the stuff the critter drops, so you have to make sure you grab it right away so it doesn't either poof away, or you miss it in the scroll. <still hoping for maps!>

Technically StormFront's room window bypasses this, but you can just type "Stow box" and hold down CTRL+Enter to spam collect all boxes, and do the same for "Stow Gem" and "get coin" and you'll never miss out on any loot except for random ultra rares.

I use storm front but regardless of which char I'm using I never really use the room window to read loot and do exactly the above to collect everything. I never know what i've actually collected until I looked into my backpack.
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 03:42 PM CDT
yeah, my script gets the gems and coins, gryphs don't drop boxes, my barb doesn't really pop anywhere near her level anyway :-). I just want to find the rares <like maps> and ignore the junk. <runestones, pestles, and those iron fragments that only work if you attended hallows 3 or 4 years ago </> - i didn't. Plus i'm hoping they'll update the hopper so it doesn't keep dropping stuff from the "old" craft system <spools of thread, iron nuggets> and "converts" them into useable items for 3.0 crafting. Although I do pick up scrolls, even though my barb can't read 'em>. Plus i collect the cards and dira coins as well.

/---
Leucius
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 03:55 PM CDT
I like to jack up discipline to make hiding more tolerable. There's nothing worse than stealth holding back your weapons.

For those barbs who don't train stealth, its a fail, sorry it just is.
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 04:05 PM CDT
>For those barbs who don't train stealth, its a fail, sorry it just is.

meh, only if they have interest in PvP in a mostly PvE game, and only true for a few more months.
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 04:07 PM CDT
>>For those barbs who don't train stealth, its a fail, sorry it just is.

For PvP I actually disagree. While being trained in hiding and stalking is effective, you can become one of the best pvp Barbs without it.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 04:10 PM CDT
>>meh, only if they have interest in PvP in a mostly PvE game, and only true for a few more months.

I wouldn't say PvP is a huge focus in DR, but it definitely is a solid part of it.

-GM Abasha
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 04:26 PM CDT
>>For PvP I actually disagree. While being trained in hiding and stalking is effective, you can become one of the best pvp Barbs without it.

It's also worth highlighting that knowing how to be stealthy might not be as be-all-end-all in a 3.0 world.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/06/2012 04:42 PM CDT
>> The percentages are set, discipline only affects dance time, not strength. They've had a couple minor tweaks over the years (Ssra added a small evasion boost to Swan, for example, concentration formula was overhauled). As someone who was level 35-40 for about three years, I assure you this is how they work, and I assure you berserks are significantly stronger at that level range :P.

I'm going to disagree here - being that I purposely gimped physicals to crank mentals at low circle - dances have always been superior for me.

From 2005(@ 67th - right before I quit)

Strength : 23 Reflex : 30
Agility : 26 Charisma : 10
Discipline : 42 Wisdom : 45
Intelligence : 42 Stamina : 40

Believe it or not, I spent like 10-15 circles improving physicals to this point. They were downright atrocious before this(except Stamina).

The percentages aren't set - they have a ceiling, but they aren't set. Concentration is the main factor in the quality of a dance - Strength/Discipline affect stats. Being that Discipline is the main factor in Conc, you could say it's the most important for quality of dances. I was probably hitting the ceiling on dance strength at about 50-55th(estimate).

Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/07/2012 01:59 AM CDT
>>The percentages aren't set - they have a ceiling, but they aren't set. Concentration is the main factor in the quality of a dance - Strength/Discipline affect stats. Being that Discipline is the main factor in Conc, you could say it's the most important for quality of dances. I was probably hitting the ceiling on dance strength at about 50-55th(estimate).

I don't believe you were seeing a boost in dance performance, but a huge penalty to berserks. Berserks definitely start losing some strength once your mentals tick a little higher than your physicals (somewhere between 3-5 points is when I could first measure a difference with roundtimes). I honestly have no clue if said penalties have a ceiling, as the stats you posted are much higher in discrepancy than I ever had :).

If they're not capped, then dances may have seemed more powerful comparatively simply because your berserks were being so massively penalized.

I can't look at the game code and say with absolute certainty that discipline only affects time, but I can say that the vast majority of a dance's power is determined by ranks, or offensive factor, or whatever you wish to call it.

Strength : 28 Reflex : 25
Agility : 25 Charisma : 29
Discipline : 25 Wisdom : 25
Intelligence : 25 Stamina : 25

Twohanded Edged: 229 80.00% clear (0/34)

Two notes. First, this was immediately after the change that removed circle from the dance equation, as I wanted to test the new dynamic. Second, I saved the TDPs explicitly for testing purposes.

I measure my average first hit against red leucs, each time with a fresh opponent, 25 different times. I then danced Cobra dance (~12 minutes, 22 seconds) using the same procedure. Average hit unbuffed was solid, average hit buffed was very heavy. I then raised discipline 5 points and tried, and noticed the same damage results, though my dance time had gone up to almost 14 minutes.

This done not within itself say that discipline doesn't factor into a dance's buff "power," as damage values are a range like everything else. Additionally, 5 points of discipline may simply have not been enough to notice a statistically significant increase in power, especially at such lower ranks. The difference might be more pronounced at higher ranks, though that would be tricky to measure, because current combat scaling means mostly one-shots or two-shots at high ranks when you're dancing.

Conversely, with my mentals now only 3 points higher (on average) than my physicals, my maximum berserk time in combat has already dropped ~4 minutes. I haven't tested to see if this comes with a reduction of stat boosts and such, but I suspect it does. You at the time of your testing had a much larger gap (20+ points) difference.
tl ; dr I can't say with complete certainty you are wrong, but I explicitly tested this a few years back, and I came to the conclusion that discipline was not significant enough in determining a dance's "power" to recommend training in for the purposes of making your dance more "powerful," in the same way you would train agility for TM or discipline for stealth success.

If you are a dancing barbarian, regardless of level, you should still focus on discipline to some extent for the buff duration alone (especially if you wear chain or plate), but I cannot recommend training it and expecting to actually make your dances perform better. Berserks are generally better at lower levels. Then again, raising your mentals to 9000 at circle 10 seems to have worked out quite well for Gorteous, if only for the experience pulses, so maybe we should consider it anyways.
Re: looking for some stat advice-barbarian 08/07/2012 02:14 AM CDT

<mentals to 9000 at circle 10

I'm pretty sure that they were over 9000.
Prev_page Previous 1