Prev_page Previous 1
Re: Fire and Skin 05/14/2017 05:45 PM CDT
So many thank yous I can't even begin to say them all!!! I can't wait to try.. I can't wait to see who else tries.. I can't wait to try to try.. I can't wait!!

Love, Caidie.

Important dates:

Saturday June 3rd at 10:30 AM Eastern - Fire and Skin - Part 1: Are you Barbarian enough?

Wednesday June 7th at 9 PM Eastern - Fire and Skin - Part 2: Return of the Trophies

Friday June 9th at 8 PM Eastern - Fire and Skin - Part 3: Brands

Saturday June 10th at 12 PM Eastern - Fire and Skin - Part 3: Brands

Important Information:

This event is only for Barbarians who have earned 100th circle or higher by the start of the event.

This event will allow the Barbarians who complete the challenges to help design a brand that they will receive.

Rules will be gone over fully before the list opens.

Joining the list will cost 500 platinum Lirum.

Joining the list does NOT guarantee a brand.

Getting picked from the list does NOT guarantee a brand.

If you complete the challenges but do not show up for Part 2, you will not get a brand.

If you win a brand but do not sure up at either of the times for Part 3, you will not get a brand.

If you annoy, aggravate, complain at, whine near, or argue with the GMNPC, you will not get a brand.

If you win a brand, you will have to pay 5k Lirum to get it.

You may die during this event.

Please remember that this is a Roleplay event, you do not have to agree with, get along with, or be polite to the GMNPC, but you take the risk of losing out if they decide they don't like you.

This is event isn't for the faint of heart, weak stomached, or those who feel they should have been a Barbarian. If you regret your choices I fully understand but this is for BARBS ONLY.

~FGM Kaarina~
Wedding Lead
Re: Fire and Skin 05/14/2017 06:24 PM CDT
I don't even barb, but that is seriously cool. I envy.
Re: Fire and Skin 05/14/2017 06:29 PM CDT
>If you win a brand, you will have to pay 5k Lirum to get it.

I'm assuming this means 5K plat lirum? Steep price after paying 500 plat just to join the list.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Fire and Skin 05/14/2017 06:43 PM CDT

>>I'm assuming this means 5K plat lirum? Steep price after paying 500 plat just to join the list.

I find it reasonable. Ask others what they pay for custom tattoo's and features. At a free event none the less. No cash involved.. a true RP event..
Re: Fire and Skin 05/14/2017 06:53 PM CDT
Good plat sinks like this are highly welcome, along with the possibility of a cool reward/adventure. Anything to break up the monotony.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Fire and Skin 05/14/2017 06:55 PM CDT

I'm not even close to being able to play in these reindeer games, but I think it sounds really awesome. I hope my barb can watch though. If it's 100 plus to even watch, that's cool. I will get there eventually.
Re: Fire and Skin 05/14/2017 07:01 PM CDT
Seconding wanting to watch. I also like to live vicariously.
Re: Fire and Skin 05/14/2017 07:24 PM CDT
Not a barb, but that's fantastic. Good luck to those who participate!

Samsaren
Re: Fire and Skin 05/14/2017 08:01 PM CDT
>> I'm assuming this means 5K plat lirum?

I talked with GM Kaarina, and she confirmed that the cost of the brand will be 5000 platinum lirum. We have decided to edit the original post to indicate this clarification.

Thanks,

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: Fire and Skin 05/14/2017 08:16 PM CDT

>We have decided to edit the original post to indicate this clarification.

Can we get this too?! (sorry, had to, an edit function would be great though!)
Re: Fire and Skin 05/14/2017 11:01 PM CDT
>Joining the list will cost 500 platinum Lirum.
>Joining the list does NOT guarantee a brand.
>Getting picked from the list does NOT guarantee a brand.
>If you complete the challenges but do not show up for Part 2, you will not get a brand.
>If you win a brand but do not sure up at either of the times for Part 3, you will not get a brand.
>If you annoy, aggravate, complain at, whine near, or argue with the GMNPC, you will not get a brand.
>If you win a brand, you will have to pay 5k platinum Lirum to get it.
>You may die during this event.

Wow. Just....wow. Aren't brands actually something used for cattle, horses, and slaves?

But hey, its a quest that doesn't make you have to pay ACTUAL REAL money for once. It's a start.
Re: Fire and Skin 05/14/2017 11:21 PM CDT
>Good plat sinks like this are highly welcome, along with the possibility of a cool reward/adventure. Anything to break up the monotony.
So much this
Re: Fire and Skin 05/14/2017 11:29 PM CDT

branding has a really interesting history in a lot of cultures that has nothing to do with livestock or slavery.

this is such a cool event and hopefully one that will repeat and become a goal for barbarians to reach.
Re: Fire and Skin 05/14/2017 11:48 PM CDT
>>Aren't brands actually something used for cattle, horses, and slaves?

No more or less than tattoos are.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Fire and Skin 05/15/2017 12:24 AM CDT

tattoos have been socially acceptable for longer than scarification has been. there is a dark history for tattoos just like branding. the symbolic nature of branding as a rite of passage in some tribes is what this event plays to, and you can be as big of a jerk about as you want, but it is a really cool bit of lore for barbarians and a nice thing to see happen that is not simucoin driven while being done in a way to keep it as something that is special and rare.
Re: Fire and Skin 05/15/2017 12:28 AM CDT
This sounds awesome, here's hoping that I can hit 100th in time to participate.
Re: Fire and Skin 05/15/2017 02:16 AM CDT
Looked it up. Was not aware that there is a new(ish) trend of people combining tattoos with branding. Whatever floats people's boats.

Also I do agree that it's a nice thing that DR is doing, something that doesn't cost simicoins. What I DO have a problem with is that, yeah sure it's a cool rp thing but only circle 100+ (and rich) players can do it. Can't their be tiers? That way, that circle 80 character doesn't have to regret that they missed a cool event just because they weren't good enough.
Re: Fire and Skin 05/15/2017 07:19 AM CDT
A post was hidden

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: Fire and Skin 05/15/2017 07:47 AM CDT
>Looked it up. Was not aware that there is a new(ish) trend of people combining tattoos with branding. Whatever floats people's boats.

It's not really new, it's been kicking around for years.

Most reputable tattoo artists won't do it, because scarification is difficult and has a VERY high risk of infection. Above and beyond what a tattoo imposes. Most people don't do brands, they opt for surgical skin removal (similar to how tattoos are removed, amusingly enough), which has its own set of risks. Plus they can't promise what a scar will heal up as. They can channel wounds (heh) but your own body will heal something differently, at different speeds and different thicknesses. And scar tissue isn't anything to sneeze at.

I compare it to the low-budget version of those 'snake people' who get tongues split and other highly questionable body modifications; most of the time they have to spend a long time finding a surgeon who will even do it, and then said surgeon specifically makes them sign an NDA so that no one knows they did it.

Not really relevant but I like body mod stuff.
Re: Fire and Skin 05/15/2017 08:51 AM CDT
<<Can't their be tiers? That way, that circle 80 character doesn't have to regret that they missed a cool event just because they weren't good enough.>>

This was something put in the game as a mark for people at the top of the barbarian guild. So having tiers kind of defeats the purpose and lowers the value of the act. There is already a barbarian in the game who has one, and her accomplishment was pretty impressive. I think that's where the precedent is set.
Re: Fire and Skin 05/15/2017 03:35 PM CDT
>>There is already a barbarian in the game who has one, and her accomplishment was pretty impressive. I think that's where the precedent is set.

Yup, branding is a long established thing in Barbarian lore in DR, and it carries very significant connotations of being a very skilled and accomplished Barbarian. Until now, there has only been one PC in the game to ever earn one. This event is a way to open that up some, but still ensure that it is a very rare RP-related thing that carries a great deal of weight behind it. It is, in fact, intended to be out of the reach of the lower ranks so as to not degrade the lore.

-Persida
Re: Fire and Skin 05/15/2017 04:09 PM CDT
>It is, in fact, intended to be out of the reach of the lower ranks so as to not degrade the lore.'

Or the higher ranks who have drained their savings accounts down to close to nothing buying stuff. Like me. Guess I'll be sitting this one out as I have no way to make 4K plat by the time this runs.

It is cool and greatly appreciated though. Especially based on how the turn around from the suggestion to the event took play. GM powers activate! Form of a war mammoth!

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Fire and Skin 05/15/2017 05:23 PM CDT
Just to confirm, but branding takes up the same "slot" as tattoos, right?

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Fire and Skin 05/15/2017 05:32 PM CDT
>I have no way to make 4K plat by the time this runs.

My character could not fully fund your character in this, however loaning plats for this type of endeavor would be totally up his ally if you are interested in pursuing that further in-game.
Re: Fire and Skin 05/15/2017 05:40 PM CDT
Can players from other guilds watch? Or is this a private affair?
Re: Fire and Skin 05/15/2017 06:36 PM CDT
>>I have no way to make 4K plat by the time this runs.

>My character could not fully fund your character in this, however loaning plats for this type of endeavor would be totally up his ally if you are interested in pursuing that further in-game.

By the way, I think this is meta-gaming. But, anyway:

What I mean is this - I think this exact situation could bring about an interesting roleplaying opportunity. My character is a trader - and relatively low-level at that. Looking to break into the big time, so to speak. Also, I, as the player, am looking for interesting opportunities to engage with the community in unique roleplaying situations / scenarios.

So, here is what I'm thinking, driven by the practical constraint that my character does not have 5K plat of any currency. My character would be happy to loan out 500 plats, though, under something like the following roleplaying scenario:

1. Our characters somehow connect (should be easy enough to manage - maybe you have a pouch to sell).
2. Somehow the topic comes up, and the need for further plats is discussed
3. We relocate to an inn or something, and discuss further, the construct being: a) enter the event, b) my character will try to arrange others to contribute the necessary plats to then get to you in time, c) the juice is a constant factor, so, borrow 4K plats and promise to pay back 5K plats, d) whether or not my character needs to make personal guarantees or the other stipulations would be entirely up to one-on-one conversations (say with other Traders, other characters, etc).
4. If you make it through + I raise the money, it is given to you and my character on the other "investors" will look for re-payment; a branded Barbarian should be trustworthy, no?
5. If you don't make it through or I fail to raise the requisite amount of platinums (both of which appear to be entirely possible) then the deal never activates and no coin is every provided, so the deal falls apart and everyone goes home.

Like I said, this is totally meta-gaming, but, I think the situation and the number of conversations that would need to be had to orchestrate this would be super fun. Also, there are lots of things that could go wrong, with a pretty substantial sum of money (at least for my character) so that makes things interesting as well.

I've said before that I'm relatively new at this, so would appreciate reactions to the above. Not even sure if this is kosher to do. Reactions could include: "That's a dumb idea, not interested..." which I would totally understand and not be sensitive about at all.
Re: Fire and Skin 05/15/2017 06:38 PM CDT

>Just to confirm, but branding takes up the same "slot" as tattoos, right?

My understanding is no, so if you have a tattoo custom done you should still be able to have a brand? I could be wrong

I see that some think the price is pretty high, but I think this is in line with making it 'harder' I am sure if you ask around other barbs might give a loan or let you do chores for it! RP it up..this is a neat thing

Also.. Persida..thanks to you guys for listening it means a lot xx

Love, Caidie.
Re: Fire and Skin 05/15/2017 07:00 PM CDT
My two cents, all sarcasm/cynicism/snark aside: if you guys really want a chance at this thing, start with just coming up with bare bones 500 plat lir as fast as you can just to have a chance to make it on the list. There's no point getting hung up on every single detail before anything's even happened.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Fire and Skin 05/15/2017 07:02 PM CDT
>>By the way, I think this is meta-gaming.

If it matters any, it's not meta-gaming in the sense that anyone who is actually trying to discourage meta-gaming views meta-gaming. Looking for roleplay opportunities is fine.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Fire and Skin 05/15/2017 07:09 PM CDT
>My two cents, all sarcasm/cynicism/snark aside: if you guys really want a chance at this thing, start with just coming up with bare bones 500 plat lir as fast as you can just to have a chance to make it on the list. There's no point getting hung up on every single detail before anything's even happened.

My character would definitely support loans aligned with this objective.
Re: Fire and Skin 05/15/2017 09:22 PM CDT
<Just to confirm, but branding takes up the same "slot" as tattoos, right?>

A player can have a custom tattoo and a custom brand, but cannot have a non-custom tattoo and a brand. All brands are custom only.

~FGM Kaarina~
Wedding Lead

https://sites.google.com/site/dragonrealmsweddings/Home
Re: Fire and Skin 05/15/2017 09:48 PM CDT
>>A player can have a custom tattoo and a custom brand, but cannot have a non-custom tattoo and a brand. All brands are custom only.

Can't get a non-custom tattoo at all, or can't get a non-custom tattoo after getting a brand without losing the brand?

In other words:

1) Getting a non-custom tattoo before getting a brand = you'll have both
2) Getting a custom tattoo before getting a brand = you'll have both
3) Getting a brand before getting a non-custom tattoo = you'll lose your brand
4) Getting a brand before getting a custom tattoo = you'll have both

Re: Fire and Skin 05/15/2017 09:53 PM CDT
Follow up question, will there be a tattoo shop at Guildfest that offers tattoo removal services? Alternatively, will you be able to 'burn off' non-custom tattoos during the branding process?

Afaik the only mainland tattoo shops ingame are Grey Raven which charges prison scrip for removal and Premium shops that charge LTBs.
Re: Fire and Skin 05/16/2017 08:55 AM CDT

> A player can have a custom tattoo and a custom brand, but cannot have a non-custom tattoo and a brand. All brands are custom only.

I ask to prevent tears later. Will shifting ruin the brand?
Re: Fire and Skin 05/16/2017 09:38 AM CDT
>I ask to prevent tears later. Will shifting ruin the brand?

From what it looks like brands are playing in the tattoo slot-- so it would stand to reason since players can't shift that you won't harm a brand.. I'd definitely not get a non custom (ie shop purchased either premie fest etc) tattoo.. In other words if a GM doesn't tattoo you..dont get it.. otherwise it seems shifting wouldn't harm a brand
Re: Fire and Skin 05/16/2017 10:13 PM CDT
Brands and tattoos.

I did some testing so I could give the best answers I could.

If you have a tattoo when you get a brand, it looks like it is up to the GMNPC doing the brand and the player as to if the tattoo gets "removed" or not.

If you have a brand and try to get a non-custom tattoo, the system shouldn't let you, but it's probably better not to try. It does not appear to remove the brand but things happen.

If you have a brand and later get a custom tattoo, you should be fine.

Shifting should not effect the brand, just like it doesn't a tattoo.

~FGM Kaarina~
Wedding Lead

Re: Fire and Skin 05/17/2017 05:18 PM CDT
I think my question got missed so I'm asking again. I was curious to know if this will be a private affair or will other characters/guilds be allowed to watch the trials?
Re: Fire and Skin 05/17/2017 06:31 PM CDT
<I think my question got missed so I'm asking again. I was curious to know if this will be a private affair or will other characters/guilds be allowed to watch the trials?>

I'm sorry, I did miss the question. Some parts will be easy enough to show up and watch, others not so much. I can't really speak too much on the what or why because I don't want to give away anything. I will say that maybe a Barbarian will let you come along on parts. That will be up to them.

~FGM Kaarina~
Wedding Lead

Re: Fire and Skin 05/18/2017 03:26 PM CDT
Are there any links to epedia or anywhere dealing with the lore of the branding? Putting brand in Epedia brings up some lovely pages about leather holders and satchels.

And if there isn't an expressly stated tradition but this has been something passed down within game, is branding exactly how I am thinking? Hot poker to the flesh to leave a mark?
Re: Fire and Skin 05/18/2017 03:58 PM CDT

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Phii

She's the only Barbarian to ever be branded. There have been one or two other people that have been branded as criminals and such during big RP events, but Phii is the only one that has ever been branded in the Barbarian way so the section labeled "The Marking" is probably the best description you'll get.
Prev_page Previous 1