Prev_page Previous 1
Choke? 08/16/2014 01:58 PM CDT
Anyone have a chance to try this in Test?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Choke? 08/16/2014 02:49 PM CDT
Heya, Kodius. I tried to log into test, but cannot access it. If you can get it up and running, I'll try.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Choke? 08/19/2014 12:32 PM CDT

To tell you the truth I forget how to get into a position to be able to choke.
Re: Choke? 08/19/2014 01:14 PM CDT

GRAPPLE maybe?
Re: Choke? 08/19/2014 01:24 PM CDT
I think it was just get to melee and CHOKE.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Choke? 08/19/2014 07:18 PM CDT
You do have to be grappled first, then CHOKE the target repeatedly. Not sure about the Test server. I kind of want to give in to despair... because it is never up and when it is it won't let anybody in.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Choke? 08/19/2014 07:43 PM CDT
Do you want to just release it in prime and we can test it here?

Re: Choke? 08/20/2014 11:59 PM CDT

Wouldn't be the first time testing was done in prime rather than the test server.
Re: Choke? 08/21/2014 12:25 AM CDT
Test is up and choke should be working there for the moment. I just don't want to break combat in Prime especially given that my internet is sketchy and it is unlikely anyone else could fix it easily :P

Re: Choke? 08/22/2014 06:21 PM CDT
Stats:
728 Brawling
584 Tactics
75 Agility
55 Strength
60 Stamina
Dragon/Wildfire running

Roundtime seems to be a bit off..

>
A young wyvern forces your arms apart and gulps in some air.
Roundtime: 15 sec.
> choke

choke
>
> choke

> choke

>

A young wyvern struggles in your hands and breaks free from your choke-hold!
R> choke
choke
...wait 15 seconds.
...wait 15 seconds.

((Moved on to Malchata))

> choke

A s'sugi malchata struggles in your weak grasp.
>
A s'sugi malchata begins to wave its arms in a magical fashion, focusing on you!
* A s'sugi malchata lashes its jagged-edged claws at you. You dodge.
[You're solidly balanced and in better position.]
> choke

choke
>
A s'sugi malchata forces your arms apart and gulps in some air.
> choke

A s'sugi malchata forces your arms apart and gulps in some air.

> choke

A s'sugi malchata struggles in your hands and breaks free from your choke-hold!
R>

At first I was thinking this is wholly underwhelming. Then I realized that CHOKE is based on tactics, not brawling. Considering this is a method to INJURE the enemy (since when do you tactics something/someone to death?), it should be rolled into BRAWLING. Otherwise, as WEAPON primary and LORE tert, this is an ability that's pretty much just going to suck unless you wholly outclass whatever/whoever you're fighting.

I can circle a Malchata and throw it completely off balance..

> circ

You fling a s'sugi malchata around as you spin, throwing it completely off balance.
[You're bruised, solidly balanced and opponent has slight advantage.]
Roundtime: 4 sec.
R>

But I can't really do anything to it by choking it.

> choke

>

You'd think it'd be easier to choke something than it would be to spin and throw something completely off balance - especially when it's completely off balance already.
Re: Choke? 08/22/2014 10:12 PM CDT
Are you stronger than these enemies?
Re: Choke? 08/23/2014 12:59 AM CDT
Hmm, yeah it is using Tactics though I'm not sure that is easy to change. I'll take a look at it soon. However, I think a lack of strength is hurting you more. You must have more strength than your opponent to be able to choke them effectively.

Re: Choke? 08/23/2014 06:15 AM CDT
Yeah I second that it should be Rawlings based if possible, if it's tactics based no barbs are gonna use it anytime meaningful.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Choke? 08/23/2014 06:56 AM CDT
Thirded on the brawling thing!

Re: Choke? 08/23/2014 07:59 AM CDT

Fair point on the strength, so I'll copy over what I appraised.

You are certain that the s'sugi malchata is healthy.
>You are certain that it is about as strong as you are.
You are certain that it is somewhat less agile than you are.
You are certain that it is definitely less disciplined than you are.
You are certain that it is rather less quick to react than you are.
You are certain that it is somewhat less conditioned than you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a small diamond-hide shield sealed with protective wax and a long parry stick wrapped in frayed brown leather, you are certain that the s'sugi malchata is definitely less skilled.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with your fists, you are certain that the s'sugi malchata is a creature completely beneath your notice.
If you brawled with the enemy, you are certain that it would train very poorly.
If you defended by parrying attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you defended by evading attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you defended by blocking attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you attempted to beguile the enemy with tactics, you are certain that it would train acceptably.
If you attempted to debilitate the enemy, you are certain that it would train acceptably.
The malchata appears immune to fire.

[Roundtime: 10 seconds]

I tested on young forest gryphons (a lot lower) and was met with success..

> choke
A fledgling forest gryphon struggles helplessly in your strong grasp.
Roundtime: 8 sec.
> choke
choke
A fledgling forest gryphon struggles helplessly in your strong grasp.
>
A fledgling forest gryphon rears up on its hind legs, its wings fanned out in a majestic pose.
>
* A fledgling forest gryphon rakes a set of large, sharp claws at you. You block solidly with a small diamond-hide shield sealed with protective wax.
[You're solidly balanced and in dominating position.]
> choke
With a loud CRACK! you snap the a fledgling forest gryphon's neck and toss it aside.
A fledgling forest gryphon collapses into a lifeless mound of fur and feathers.

> choke
You gag, desperate for air!
>
You gag, desperate for air!
>

One thing I'd note is that I spammed choke, so the Roundtime isn't actually coming up as a roundtime.

I then tried against Shalswar, which are a lot lower than my tactics, and was met with this result about ten times:

>
An armored shalswar struggles helplessly in your grasp.
Roundtime: 10 sec.
> choke

choke
An armored shalswar struggles helplessly in your grasp.
>
Left and right you wrench the an armored shalswar's head. Eventually you maneuver into a better position and conclude the life-ending struggle.
> choke
choke

Left and right you wrench the an armored shalswar's head. Eventually you maneuver into a better position and conclude the life-ending struggle.
>
> choke

> choke
* An armored shalswar lunges forward and swipes its wickedly-curved talons at you. You evade.
[You're solidly balanced with no advantage.]
>
An armored shalswar struggles in your hands and breaks free from your choke-hold!
R>

> app shals careful
You are certain that the armored shalswar is healthy.
You are certain that the armored shalswar is slightly fatigued.
You are certain that it is somewhat weaker than you are.
You are certain that it is rather less agile than you are.
You are certain that it is definitely less quick to react than you are.
You are certain that it is definitely less conditioned than you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a small diamond-hide shield sealed with protective wax and a long parry stick wrapped in frayed brown leather, you are certain that the armored shalswar is an easy opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with your fists, you are certain that the armored shalswar is a creature completely beneath your notice.
If you brawled with the enemy, you are certain that it would train quite badly.
If you defended by parrying attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train quite badly.
If you defended by evading attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train quite badly.
If you defended by blocking attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train quite badly.
If you attempted to beguile the enemy with tactics, you are certain that it would train very poorly.
If you attempted to debilitate the enemy, you are certain that it would train very poorly.

[Roundtime: 10 seconds]
R>

So it's somewhat weaker than I am, I'm closing on 600 tactics (these things are barely moving my tactics), and they're able to break free every time.
Re: Choke? 08/23/2014 04:28 PM CDT
I was able to choke and snap necks with my Empath. And it didn't cause Shock.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Choke? 08/23/2014 04:39 PM CDT
Only Barbarians should be able to Choke over in Test. Can someone else confirm other Guilds can do this for me please? I'll take a look next week when I get back.

Re: Choke? 08/23/2014 04:43 PM CDT

With a loud CRACK! you snap the a fledgling forest gryphon's neck and toss it aside.
A fledgling forest gryphon collapses into a lifeless mound of fur and feathers.

Awww, no roar to Trothfang anymore? Fourth'ded on the brawling request.
Re: Choke? 08/23/2014 04:48 PM CDT
With my Bard:

>grab rat
You grab hold of a ship's rat in a tight grip. A ship's rat grips you back.
Roundtime: 4 sec.

>choke
A ship's rat struggles helplessly in your strong grasp.

>choke

>choke
With a loud CRACK! you snap the a ship's rat's neck and toss it aside.
The ship's rat falls to the ground and lies still.

I didn't get any roundtime for the choke action, despite it saying I did.
Re: Choke? 08/23/2014 05:44 PM CDT
Does anyone have the old messaging for each step of the old choke? I couldn't find it anywhere and had to improvise :P

Re: Choke? 08/23/2014 06:07 PM CDT
Okay BUG list time!

1. As others have noted, I can CHOKE with my Moon Mage.
(Non-bug observations: It doesn't teach very well on at level creatures. Despite Tactics appraising as training acceptably, 5 minutes of CHOKE only got to about 7/34. It also 98% of the time results in struggling against my strong grasp, with them occasionally breaking free. As it stands it's kind of a pointless thing to do, not worth the roundtime investment at all.)

You grab hold of a giant blight ogre in a tight grip. A giant blight ogre grips you back.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

A giant blight ogre struggles against your strong grasp.

repeat ad nauseum

A giant blight ogre struggles in your hands and breaks free from your choke-hold!

> app ogre careful
You are certain that the blight ogre is healthy.
You are certain that the blight ogre is somewhat fatigued.
You are certain that it is about as strong as you are.
You are certain that it is rather less agile than you are.
You are certain that it is definitely less quick to react than you are.
You are certain that it is rather less conditioned than you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a gargoyle-hide targe with a reinforced design and a silver-hued parry stick with reinforced silken straps, you are certain that the blight ogre is a solid opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with your fists, you are certain that the blight ogre is a simple opponent.
If you brawled with the enemy, you are certain that it would train rather well.
If you defended by parrying attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train acceptably.
If you defended by evading attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you defended by blocking attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train acceptably.
If you attempted to beguile the enemy with tactics, you are certain that it would train acceptably.
If you targeted and cast a spell at the enemy, you are certain that it would train acceptably.
If you attempted to debilitate the enemy, you are certain that it would train acceptably.

> skill tactic

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate fraction
Tactics: 239 84.37% clear (0/34)

2. I can choke some creatures without RT, effectively making this an instant kill ability. It appears to be creatures that I far surpass in skill/stats. Possibly specific creatures, however. The log isn't too helpful since it appears to be 8 seconds of RT between each attack, but everything pasted below happens instantly. The script [.do] literally enters a command, matches for roundtime, and then loops to entering the command again after a 0.1 second pause to prevent infinite loop crashing.

>
[Script loaded: do.cmd]
[do]: choke
> [do]: choke
With a loud CRACK! you snap the a ship's rat's neck and toss it aside.
The ship's rat falls to the ground and lies still.

>
[do]: choke
A large musk hog struggles helplessly in your strong grasp.
A large musk hog struggles helplessly in your strong grasp.
With a loud CRACK! you snap the a large musk hog's neck and toss it aside.
The musk hog falls to the ground and lies still.

>
A gap-toothed scavenger goblin struggles helplessly in your strong grasp.
A gap-toothed scavenger goblin struggles helplessly in your strong grasp.
With a loud CRACK! you snap the a gap-toothed scavenger goblin's neck and toss it aside.
A gap-toothed scavenger goblin collapses to the ground, shuddering and moaning until it ceases all movement.

3. I've discovered a bug with GRAPPLE. When using GRAPPLE when already engaged and advancing at pole the game returns nothing, but puts you at melee instantly. Using it a second time at this points grapples the target since you're now at melee. I suspect it is triggering the charge mechanic, but failing to follow through with the actual attack. Using the GRAPPLE verb when starting at or engaged at missile range or starting from pole messages that you are too far away and you start to advance as expected.

> grapple
You aren't close enough to attack.
You begin to advance on a large musk hog.
>
> grapple
You aren't close enough to attack.
You are already advancing on a large musk hog.
>
You close to pole weapon range on a large musk hog.
You stop a large musk hog from advancing any farther.
> grapple

> assess
You assess your combat situation...

You (solidly balanced) are facing a large musk hog (1) at melee range.
A large musk hog (1: solidly balanced) is facing you at melee range.
A large musk hog (2: badly balanced) is moving to flank you at pole weapon range.
A large musk hog (3: slightly off balance) is moving behind you at missile range.

(You are also defending against a large musk hog.)

>grapple

>
You grab hold of a large musk hog in a tight grip. A large musk hog grips you back.
[You're bruised, solidly balanced and have slight advantage.]
Roundtime: 3 sec.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Re: Choke? 08/23/2014 06:54 PM CDT
First choke:
You shift your body and wrap your right arm around the neck of the goblin shaman and squeeze with all of your might!
Roundtime: 5 seconds.

Second choke:
You shift your body and wrap your right arm around the neck of the goblin shaman and squeeze with all of your might!
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
>
Your pulse quickens with the imminent demise of the goblin shaman trapped in your grasp, as a deep, blood red fills your vision. Letting loose a roar of which Trothfang himself would be proud, with one brutal twist you yank your arm across your chest and shatter the neck of the goblin shaman with a gruesome "CRACK"!

You drop the carcass of the shaman to the ground.

This is from the mighty Phii's Keep!

Re: Choke? 08/23/2014 10:22 PM CDT
>Your pulse quickens with the imminent demise of the goblin shaman trapped in your grasp, as a deep, blood red fills your vision. Letting loose a roar of which Trothfang himself would be proud, with one brutal twist you yank your arm across your chest and shatter the neck of the goblin shaman with a gruesome "CRACK"!

http://youtu.be/aNa3Co83_gk?t=1m48s
Re: Choke? 08/23/2014 10:28 PM CDT
Also just a clarification... CHOKE isn't meant to be a 24/7 hunting ability. It will not kill as quickly as or train as well as normal combat. I'm only adding it back in because it was a really cool thing Barbarians could do to stuff that was beneath them.

Re: Choke? 08/24/2014 07:11 AM CDT

>I'm only adding it back in because it was a really cool thing Barbarians could do to stuff that was beneath them.

FWIW, it wasn't just stuff "beneath" us that we could choke before. I'll agree with not killing as quickly or training as well, though.

Just wanted to clarify that before CHOKE is simply turned into a fluff verb that we can only do against goblins.

Thanks!
Re: Choke? 08/24/2014 07:15 AM CDT
>>FWIW, it wasn't just stuff "beneath" us that we could choke before. I'll agree with not killing as quickly or training as well, though.

Just wanted to clarify that before CHOKE is simply turned into a fluff verb that we can only do against goblins.>>

Seconded! I want to choke someone and break his/her neck, not just a goblin. Also, please make it brawling-based, not tactics. Thanks for reintroducing it, btw.

Re: Choke? 08/24/2014 09:04 AM CDT

Also seconded. Back in 2.0 my Barbarian was pretty young, but was definitely choking things at range. Anything he could brawl really.
Re: Choke? 08/24/2014 09:24 AM CDT
I eased up the strength requirement and made it using brawling skill in Test.

The old Choke had the potential to be excessively overpowered in 3.0 because enemies now take longer to die. I'll have to revisit the number of attempts and/or the roundtimes so you are not able to choke things dead faster than you can kill them normally with weapons.

Would you prefer CHOKE require 5 attempts at about 10 second RT each, or a faster 3 attempt at 10-seconds each choke kill with a cooldown timer?

I may be able to get the number of chokes required to scale depending on how much you succeed, but too much complexity and this becomes a month-long future project.

Re: Choke? 08/24/2014 10:29 AM CDT

>>I eased up the strength requirement and made it using brawling skill in Test.

Let us know when it's updated in test. Just logged in and the same results and still using tactics skill/gaining experience in tactics from CHOKE (no brawling.)

In regards to the attempts/RT/cooldown, if it's meant to be underpowered vs what you could do with >punch chest or attacking with a weapon, why introduce such long RTs and/or a cooldown timer?

With >punch abdomen, I can kill a Malchata with 728 brawling in under 20 seconds. Why not make choke, in comparison, at like 30 seconds with no cooldown?

I do agree with it scaling appropriately, of course.
Re: Choke? 08/24/2014 11:15 AM CDT
I agree with Uritel. I feel CHOKE should scale appropriately to damage with brawling. If a character can kill a critter in 40s brawling, from start to finish, a CHOKE should take around that long. Though, to be fair, you did say it was supposed to be a 'for funsies' quirk that Barbarians have, so maybe it needs to behave differently or whatnot.

I did always like the title 'Neck Snapper'.
Re: Choke? 08/24/2014 12:24 PM CDT
I kind of agree. When you're going for a choke-kill you're not doing anything else, so it's pure dead wait/RT time.

Not sure how he'd really balance that though, honestly. Armored/armed status vs. barriers etc. change it too much to really use a time-based calculation?

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Choke? 08/27/2014 03:23 PM CDT

>>Let us know when it's updated in test. Just logged in and the same results and still using tactics skill/gaining experience in tactics from CHOKE (no brawling.)

Bumping in hopes of guinea pigging.
Re: Choke? 08/27/2014 08:06 PM CDT
>>With >punch abdomen, I can kill a Malchata with 728 brawling in under 20 seconds. Why not make choke, in comparison, at like 30 seconds with no cooldown?

Before buffs, debuffs and balance - you have 45% more offense than malchata have defenses. I'd say that is a pretty good reason for them to die quickly.

I cannot even begin to balance choke to have "dps" comparable to brawling attacks, so I am not going to try.

Choke should now properly be using/teaching brawling in test.

Re: Choke? 08/27/2014 09:11 PM CDT

After about five minutes of spamming >choke, this was the best message I got:

> choke

Left and right you wrench the a s'sugi malchata's head. Eventually you maneuver into a better position and conclude the life-ending struggle.

The above message is a little deceiving, as you'd think that the "concluding the life-ending struggle" would mean they're dead.. but no. The malchata is perfectly fine.

728 Brawling
55 Strength
75 Agility
Dragon Running

So I guess that's the best result I can get even with 45% more offense than they have defenses, pre-buffed.
Re: Choke? 08/27/2014 09:25 PM CDT
Well no, that should have killed it :P Let me dig a bit.

Re: Choke? 08/27/2014 09:28 PM CDT

>>Well no, that should have killed it :P Let me dig a bit.

Okay, good. I was worried that >choke had gotten confused with >noogie.

Thanks!
Re: Choke? 08/27/2014 09:30 PM CDT
Ok this should be fixed. I also added a small random to the strength roll. That particular messaging is dictated by strength. You mighty try using BEAR FORM to be more effective at choking things.

Re: Choke? 08/27/2014 09:42 PM CDT

> choke

Left and right you wrench the a s'sugi malchata's head. Eventually you maneuver into a better position and conclude the life-ending struggle.
A s'sugi malchata crumbles to the ground.
Roundtime: 11 sec.

Nice. Seems to working now. That was without bear form, now to test on wyverns in bear form..

R> choke

A young wyvern struggles in your grasp.
Roundtime: 12 sec.
> choke

A young wyvern struggles in your grasp.
Roundtime: 12 sec.
> choke

With extreme effort, you eventually manage to eventually smother the a young wyvern. A mixture of slick body fluid covers your arms from the life-and-death struggle.
A young wyvern squeals in pain and thrashes its leathery-black wings about its frail body, before falling silent with a final desperate trill.
Roundtime: 13 sec.

So it looks like on the third choke is when it kicks in. First two chokes are struggles and the third is either the pass/fail roll. You either kill them or they get out of your grasp. One thing to note is that the RT for the first two chokes are still not coming up as actual RT, even though it says 12 seconds.

R> l third wyv

You see a young wyvern, which is dead.
The young wyvern has a severely swollen and shattered neck which appears useless to hold up the head.
It is wearing nothing!
It is carrying nothing!

Niiiiiice. Good job on this, Kodius. Thanks for fixing it.
Re: Choke? 10/15/2014 01:18 PM CDT

I'm concerned that Kodius' tinkering with choke on the test server has led to him testing it out RL on himself to ensure accuracy, rendering him incapacitated and unable to provide us with an update for the past two months.

:/
Re: Choke? 10/15/2014 04:39 PM CDT
Ahhh, on it, not on the various other things he has been updating?

He is doing fine, has had At foot Throwing in Testing for a bit, and trying to get it rolled out or has gotten it rolled out. Think there is a bit of background work on the Festival and the various crafts as well, and something in Barbarian... some tweakings to get PvP warding/dispelling a little more aligned.

How does he do all this stuff with a job?

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Prev_page Previous 1