Prev_page Previous 1 3
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 06/16/2012 06:46 AM CDT
Details of Barb abilities please, someone who has access. List of abilities, what they do, anything!
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 06/16/2012 08:06 AM CDT
they are listed in this catagory, I believe Kodius outlined them shortly after listing the new barbarian reqs in gm announcements.

More details can't really be given because permission to do so hasn't been given yet. Besides, there's still bugs that have to be fixed.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 06/16/2012 09:44 AM CDT
>>they are listed in this catagory, I believe Kodius outlined them shortly after listing the new barbarian reqs in gm announcements.

As the release of the circle reqs demonstrated, there have been some significant changes to many of the outlined systems since we were given the explicit details of 3.0, at least for other guild abilities. I would be surprised if abilities were released exactly as advertized a year ago.
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 06/16/2012 09:47 AM CDT
Also, why would they be a secret? I'm not familiar with test server policy but it doesn't to me seem the same as someone from plat posting auction or quest details early and spoiling it for prime account holders, or some such.
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 06/16/2012 10:12 AM CDT
Test server stuff is pretty much similar to Plat server stuff: we're strongly discouraged from taking about it unless told otherwise. While the "to prevent the surprises from being spoiled" part possibly doesn't come into play here, the GMs might not want us talking publicly about things that are still in testing/development, just to avoid arguing/drama/showing how sausage is made.

This is also why no Community Leader and/or Plat people are taking about any other testing they might be invited to do, as well.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 06/16/2012 10:20 AM CDT
additionally, based on test results, there might be significant changes by the time its ready for general release.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 06/16/2012 11:29 PM CDT
How do you get granted access to test?

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 06/16/2012 11:33 PM CDT
>>How do you get granted access to test?

If you're a community leader (aka: blue names) or plat account holder you get access to Test.

The instance sometimes opens up to the general public, as well, but I don't know what the plans are for that.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 06/17/2012 06:47 AM CDT
Attend SUMICON.. That is how I got access.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Bit Player of M'Riss
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 06/17/2012 07:35 AM CDT

Join plat. plus, you never have a crowd in a hunting area, subscribtion to TF comes with it, no extra charge, free vaults, and JJ to get places quick.

/---
Leucius
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 06/17/2012 07:56 AM CDT
It's not the same, but you could just IM someone with access and ask them all the questions you want to but they can't answer on the boards.

Might have stuff for them to check/test too, so kill two birds with one missle.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 06/24/2012 04:02 AM CDT
I've only recently came back to DR after an almost 2 year break and thus don't know the in-depth story of a lot of the upcoming changes.

Based on my understanding it seems like Barbarians fall under one of the guilds receiving the biggest overhauls in how their abilities function (no more berserk blood & stone holding up indefinitely and running around with 6 bleeders for half an hour)

What I'm wondering is I'm considering introducing some friends to DR and would it make more sense to hold off until 3.0 hits? Is it soon enough that I shouldn't have my friend learning the old system only to have to relearn everything later?

DR is an odd game to introduce to people because rather than just a months play we're usually talking about at least several months of invested time.
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 06/24/2012 09:10 AM CDT
>DR is an odd game to introduce to people because rather than just a months play we're usually talking about at least several months of invested time.

With the new exp system, if you kinda get a grasp of what you're doing (which, for a total newcomer, they won't) you can be level 5-20 in a month easy. Granted level 20's nothing that impressive, but it's enough to start getting some cool new abilities, and seeing some hunting grounds and provinces.

In answer to your question on now or later, I'd say now. DR3 is still months away, and while the systems are changing, they'll still benefit by having a character with some RP invested, some gear, a few levels, etc.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 06/24/2012 09:20 AM CDT
>>What I'm wondering is I'm considering introducing some friends to DR and would it make more sense to hold off until 3.0 hits? Is it soon enough that I shouldn't have my friend learning the old system only to have to relearn everything later?

I would agree with Ucu, now. Lower level stuff in DR is balanced fairly well, but there is some frustrating parts like training parry and armor penalties so you can't retreat. If you coach them a bit through that, or point them to the forums where others can help it's better to get them rolling - lots to learn.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 06/24/2012 10:42 AM CDT
I would really encourage them to get involved now, rather than wait. While we all are working hard towards a release date this fall, RL does pop up and schedules do slip. They might lose interest and never try it out if you wait!

I am also going through great pains to add help messaging, in-game readouts and explanations for all of the changes. At the core, you'll still have a wide range of powerful abilities, circle primarily by killing things in glorious battle and pass the time breaking mages and their shiny doodads in half :nods:

Even better, should the test instance get opened to more people, they could give valuable feedback as a new customer without many pre-set opinions about the game. Yeah, that last one helps the GMs out more than players, but feedback can be extremely important in helping to define what comes next!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 06/25/2012 05:12 PM CDT

>>but there is some frustrating parts like training parry

try taking evasion down and parry up, just circle the critter
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 06/30/2012 07:15 PM CDT
This brings up an interesting question Kodius. Can we explain in detail the things going on in testing on the public forums or is that frowned upon?

-P

Luck is nothing more than opportunity meeting preparation.
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 06/30/2012 10:52 PM CDT
I'm clearly not Kodius. But what has been said to plat players is that until the thing is announced on the prime folders there is a no fly rule in effect. You're not supposed to even know it exists, let alone know details.

Like if they dropped new skinning in plat, and someone asked on the prime boards if there were any changes planned for skinning, I couldn't drop in and go 'ya, there's this whole new system in plat!'

Test might be different just because it's more open, but I think the general concept applies.

Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 07/01/2012 03:58 PM CDT
Honestly, I am not too concerned about information getting out. Better for folks to know, understand and discuss this stuff ahead of time. Our test population is kind of small anyways and I'm eager to get some feedback.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 07/01/2012 07:19 PM CDT
>>Honestly, I am not too concerned about information getting out. Better for folks to know, understand and discuss this stuff ahead of time. Our test population is kind of small anyways and I'm eager to get some feedback.

Someone post the complete logs and lists from tests like I requested earlier then!
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 07/01/2012 08:24 PM CDT
>>Honestly, I am not too concerned about information getting out.
>Someone post the complete logs and lists from tests like I requested earlier then!

Especially the most embarrassing details about Kodius!
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 07/01/2012 10:46 PM CDT
>Especially the most embarrassing details about Kodius!

Favorite band: Alvin and the chipmunks covering Nickleback.

Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 07/02/2012 01:03 AM CDT
If GM Kodius okays it, I'd be happy to do a write up and post it.

Oh, if you're curious, IM me and I can chat about it. I've always got spare time.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 07/02/2012 01:56 AM CDT
Should let me into test. If it can be broken, I think I can break it.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 07/02/2012 08:46 AM CDT
<<Honestly, I am not too concerned about information getting out. Better for folks to know, understand and discuss this stuff ahead of time. Our test population is kind of small anyways and I'm eager to get some feedback. >>

In that case:

This is with a 52nd Barbarian:

>ask agonar about agonar
Agonar nods approvingly at you and says, "Agonar, Guildmaster of the Crossing Barbarian Guild, and master swordsman. I can answer any of your questions about BERSERKS, FORMS, MEDITATIONS and ROARS if you just ask."

>ask agonar about berserks
Unconsciously clenching his fist, Agonar replies, "Berserks let loose the rage within you, allowing for massive increases to your combat potential. They are harder to maintain than forms, however both can be used simultaneously."

Agonar hands you a parchment detailing what abilities you can learn.

Path of the Horde

Path of the Flame

Berserks: Famine.

Path of the Predator

Agonar goes on to say, "You can ask me about these by name, to learn more."
>ask agonar about famine
Unconsciously clenching his fist, Agonar replies, "A surge of vitality fills the barbarian, allowing them to continue the fight just a bit longer."
>berserk list
From the path of the Horde you know the Berserks: Avalanche, Wildfire and Volcano.
You have not been trained in any Berserks from the path of the Flame.
You have not been trained in any Berserks from the path of the Predator.
ask agonar about avalanche
Tilting his head slightly to the side, Agonar says slowly, "This rage quickly refills the barbarian's fatigue."
>ask agonar about wildfire
Unconsciously clenching his fist, Agonar replies, "Like fire leaping from home to home, a barbarian caught up in this rage will see an increase to agility and strength."
>ask agonar about volcano
Agonar bares his teech in a fierce grin and says, "The ultimate rage, even mortal blows fail to slow the barbarian's assault."

>ask agonar about forms
Unconsciously clenching his fist, Agonar replies, "As the foundation of our abilities, forms let the warrior exhert his or her martial prowess in battle. Other forms clue you into the subtleties of your surroundings or allow you to manipulate your inner fire in supereme displays of skill."

Path of the Horde

Path of the Flame

Path of the Predator

Unconsciously clenching his fist, Agonar replies, "A barbaric display, mighty and primal! Roars strike fear into your enemies, and drive them to make miscalculations in battle."

Path of the Horde

Roars: Death's Embrace and Serpent's Hiss.

Path of the Flame

Path of the Predator

Roars: Everild's Rage.
>ask agonar about embrace
Unconsciously clenching his fist, Agonar replies, "Sapped of confidence, enemies will be find their attacks grow weak after hearing this roar."
>ask agonar about serpent's hiss
Agonar nods approvingly at you and says, "Courage and honor fly in the face of this roar as enemies just run away."

>ask agonar about meditation
Tilting his head slightly to the side, Agonar says slowly, "Mental acumen must accompany the heart of a warrior. Focusing one's inner fire offers you a fundamental advantage over your enemy. Many of these abilities require some preparation, but it is well worth it."

Path of the Horde

Path of the Flame

Meditations: Power and Contemplation.

Path of the Predator

Meditations: Seek.
>ask agonar about power
Agonar bares his teech in a fierce grin and says, "Symbolic interpretation of one's inner fire reveals ability durations and effects with this meditation."
>ask agonar about contemplation
Tilting his head slightly to the side, Agonar says slowly, "By contemplating one's moves ahead of time, an enhanced ability with defending is obtained."
>roar list
From the path of the Horde you know the Roars: Anger the Earth and Wail of Torment.
From the path of the Flame you know the Roars: Screech of Madness.
You have not been trained in any Roars from the path of the Predator.
>ask agonar about screech
Unconsciously clenching his fist, Agonar replies, "A mighty screech hampers enemies' reflex and discipline, making them easy bait for further roaring."
>ask agonar about wail
Tilting his head slightly to the side, Agonar says slowly, "A terrible wail freeze enemies in place."
>ask agonar about anger the earth
Agonar bares his teech in a fierce grin and says, "Startled enemies' legs buckle and give out when you roar this terrible call."

ones i haven't learned :

>ask agonar about dragon <horde form>
Agonar bares his teech in a fierce grin and says, "A practicioner of the dragon form wields weapons with increased deadliness."
>ask agonar about piranha <predator form>
Agonar nods approvingly at you and says, "Quickly darting back and forth, the barbarian presents a difficult target to hit. Evasion and balance increase with this form."
>ask agonar about owl <predator form>
Agonar nods approvingly at you and says, "The extensive search and destroy concepts of this form grant improved perception."
>ask agonar about tornado <predator berserk>
Unconsciously clenching his fist, Agonar replies, "Steady destruction requires stamina and quick reflex. Both of these are present in abundance with this rage."

>ask agonar about kuniyo's spirit <predator roar>
Agonar bares his teech in a fierce grin and says, "Even the predator can become overwhelmed if they prey band together. This roar evens the field, stunning and knocking them back so you can sieze back the advantage."
>ask agonar about slash the shadows <predator roar>
Agonar nods approvingly at you and says, "A mighty roar, capable of scaring enemies from hiding, and making others think twice before they evade your view."
>ask agonar about seek <predator meditation>
Agonar bares his teech in a fierce grin and says, "Often, harmony with nature requires nothing more than a clear mind. This meditation will strip you of your hostile intentions, but improve your ability to survive and gather in the wild."
ask agonar about staunch <predator mediation>
Agonar bares his teech in a fierce grin and says, "A deep mental focus is required to staunch the flow of blood from cuts and injuries. Via a slowing of heart rate and a deep tensing of key muscle groups, a barbarian trades strength, agility and fatigue for a short lease on life. "

The following predator abilities aren't "live" yet in test:
hawk, wolf, prediction.

To be continued:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

/---
Leucius

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

/---
Leucius
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 07/02/2012 08:51 AM CDT
<continued>

>form list
From the path of the Horde you know the Forms: Dragon, Python and Toad.
From the path of the Flame you know the Forms: Buffalo, Bear and Monkey.
You have not been trained in any Forms from the path of the Predator.

>
>ask agonar about python
Tilting his head slightly to the side, Agonar says slowly, "Fresh kills feed the barbarian's hunger and fan the flames of their inner fire."
>ask agonar about toad
Agonar nods approvingly at you and says, "Much like the thick skin of a toad repels the harsh elements, so shall the Barbarian practicing this form find minor elemental attacks glance away without causing harm."

more shall follow at a later time.
/---
Leucius
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 07/02/2012 11:32 AM CDT
Okay, then I guess I might as well:

Abilities are divided into three paths. Path of the Horde is thematically the classic barbarian horde, looting and pillaging. Path of the Predator coves the stealthy/precision style of fighting, and Path of Flame covers our anti-magic stuff, as well as abilties that give us more control or information about our own abilities.

There is actually a surprisingly nice spread of abilities, and they're distributed such that there's good stuff in all of the trees no matter what your style is. The more powerful abilities require a certain number of abilities from that tree to be picked already (need x Path of Flame abilities for y), with the highest ones requiring 7 previous picks. Can't really comment on the slot costs, as that seems to be in flux still. It's been mentioned that you'll be able to pick a primary path which will give you phantom abilities for the purposes of choosing more powerful abilities, but it isn't active yet.

Berserks are short term instant-on abilities, and all of the annoying negatives (can't retreat, or see, etc) have been stripped from them. Forms (formerly dances) are long term (up to 2 hours!!!) abilities with a short rev up time, but no longer care about hindrance. Meditations have to be started out of combat and are a mishmash of utility stuff. Roars are pretty much the same, but the voice pool has been significantly expanded, the more useless roars and battle cries removed and consolodated, and targeting options for single target, all engaged, and all in area added.

Multiple abilities can be active at the same time. However, rather than significant IF costs, forms reduce the regeneration rate of IF instead. IF costs are somehow controlled by the Inner Fire skill, all else is handled by the respective Warding, Augmentation, or Debilitation skills.

Inner Fire has had a passive regen cap put at 25%, but it regens much faster. I think I heard something about this cap being raised with more IF skill, but I can't seem to find where I heard that. The rest is gained by killing, and it seems that it doesn't even have to be something challenging (haven't confirmed that yet).

In addition, Guildleaders have had a pretty fancy facelift (same guys, better skills system), and it seems they'll be getting some nice lore conversations.

Chakrel is no longer required for seeing your inner fire, but having it does seem to boost the speed of meditation. Also as a side note, it automatically checks your inventory and uses the best chakrel you have on you, which is pretty spiffy.

I have to say, my own personal opinion is that I'm SERIOUSLY impressed and I can't wait to see what else we're getting.

I'll leave Gerstein to detail the specifics of our abilities.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 07/02/2012 11:47 AM CDT
I cannot wait to unleash, er I mean test, this on Madigan.

Squanto: think they'll make it so we can swim to the islands?
Codiax: probably not but who knows
Squanto: maybe moonwalk faster on the iceroad with enough reflex, athletics & xibar up?
Codiax: lol yeah totally. have to sing ice ice baby to make it work
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 07/02/2012 01:00 PM CDT
Caraamon gave a great summary. Hit me up on my AIM Vinjince00 if you have any questions. Lots of stuff aren't final yet, but I absolutely love the new system and can't wait until it is released.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 07/02/2012 08:15 PM CDT
Here's a little bit better formatted list of stuff and what it does:

Path of the Predator:

Forms:
Hawk- bonus ranged weapon in hand. Cycles every few seconds
Piranha- Enhanced evasion, balance
Owl - Eyesight <perception>
Wolf- enhances engagement speed
Lynx- esoteric - hiding boost

Berserks:
Tornado- basic, plus to stamina, shield skill
Volcano - unkillable a brief time. madman's rage

Roars:
Death's embrace - target fear effect. defensive penalty.
Kuniyo's Spirit- concussive- stun enemies, knock them off their feet
Slash the Shadows- unhides enemy, can't hide again brief time.

Meditation:
Bastion - Barbarian shrugs off wounds. Save vs. Stamina
Seek- bonus to Outdoorsmanship <foraging> - good for barbs that mine!
Staunch - if wounded, slows heart rate - halts all bleeding for a time <like empath blood staunch spell>
Prediction - If barb stunned or knocked over, can escae to adjacent room before being dead.

abilities for other paths will be posted later. You can pick and choose from the various "paths", but you choose a particular path, there's some sort of bonus <haven't figured out what the bonus is yet, and "choosing a path" seems broken over there still - it seems to think you've already chosen one>

/---
Leucius
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 07/02/2012 08:37 PM CDT
+ Dedicated perception booster - good stuff.
+ Dumb penalties that made many people ignore the awesomeness of berserks are gone.
+ More versatility - blood staunching, athletics booster, disarm booster...
+ The stuff I cared most about is still around in some form (stun/immobilization, anti-hiding roar, powerful defense boosters, etc.)

Dislikes:
+ Most powerful MR is a meditation? I'm not sure this is in test yes, but the WORM or AC-like dance that would ostensibly be our premier MR ability would not be able to be triggered in combat? I realize there must be some limitations (both WORM and AC and Shear, for example, have their own restrictions), but it doesn't make much sense to me that an ability whose sole focus would be combat-oriented needs be triggered outside of combat, if that is true. Seems more sensible that it would restrict all berserks, or restrict most of the other forms, or some such.
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 07/02/2012 08:39 PM CDT
Double-post yay

Overall it looks amazing and I can't wait to test it in its entirety. I assume there will be a preview period for a bit so we can test them all before choosing permanently when things are first released?
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 07/02/2012 09:47 PM CDT
>>Most powerful MR is a meditation?

Eh, you have abilities kind of sprinkled all over, but I'm considering some small changes. We can discuss at the meeting tomorrow.

Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 07/02/2012 10:01 PM CDT
Would anyone mind putting up a synopsis or maybe a nice flow chart of the new abilities up on E-pedia? It would be nice to have them in a place to view other than these easy to search forums.
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 07/02/2012 10:16 PM CDT
>>Most powerful MR is a meditation?

I see your point here, but actually I kind of like it like that: It's something powerful requiring a lot of focus and forethought. If it were me personally, I'd throw in a less powerful MR ability that can be started in combat.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 07/02/2012 10:28 PM CDT

As long as I can really berserk through some stuff I am going to be allright
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 07/02/2012 11:05 PM CDT
>>I see your point here, but actually I kind of like it like that: It's something powerful requiring a lot of focus and forethought. If it were me personally, I'd throw in a less powerful MR ability that can be started in combat.

I can see the design logic, and I admit I'm mostly concerned about it from the angle of PvP combat. We have a couple other MR abilities that are combat-friendly already, I'd just hate to have the Big Boy never used in unanticipated fights.

Might still be useful for tourneys, but I'd like to be able to pop and forget, and have the drawbacks designed more along the lines of Shear, Aether Cloak, Worm's Mist, etc., where it limits or hinders other abilities. I like the idea of pros and cons, rather than a binary line of combat/no-combat. Stuff like an athletics booster makes perfect sense as a meditation, I'd rather see them stay that direction (utility abilities).
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 07/03/2012 03:48 AM CDT
>>I can see the design logic, and I admit I'm mostly concerned about it from the angle of PvP combat. We have a couple other MR abilities that are combat-friendly already, I'd just hate to have the Big Boy never used in unanticipated fights.

It really doesn't take long at all to start up meditations. It would be a simple matter of retreating and finding a place for only 10'ish seconds, assuming Serenity doesn't take any longer to start up than the others.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 07/03/2012 06:33 AM CDT
Aren't meditations going to be the longest lasting (new) abilities? MR boost in a mediation would be best then IMO.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: This is a Test. A Barbarian Test. 07/03/2012 07:34 AM CDT
>>Aren't meditations going to be the longest lasting (new) abilities? MR boost in a mediation would be best then IMO.

I was thinking similarly. Also, it all sounds awesome.

Squanto: think they'll make it so we can swim to the islands?
Codiax: probably not but who knows
Squanto: maybe moonwalk faster on the iceroad with enough reflex, athletics & xibar up?
Codiax: lol yeah totally. have to sing ice ice baby to make it work
Prev_page Previous 1 3