Prev_page Previous 1
Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/03/2012 01:14 PM CDT
I think when the GM's said that folks wouldn't be loosing effectiveness, they were talking about skills besides magic. Armifer flat-out told Magic Users that these magic changes are going to be a nerf and there was no way to sugar-coat that. Barbarian non-magical magic dances/etc = Supernatural = new magic changes, so I'm not sure why Barbarians would expect to not lose any effectiveness in this area.

Maybe y'all Barbarians have been told something different from GM's, but for Magic Users we've been warned to expect decrease in effectiveness when the new magic changes go live.

FWIW,
Aluriaz
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/03/2012 01:37 PM CDT
We were told point blank we weren't going to lose effectiveness.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/03/2012 01:50 PM CDT
>>so I'm not sure why Barbarians would expect to not lose any effectiveness in this area.

Please define effectiveness clearly.

Dance time is drastically being increased. Dance "power" is being nerfed to fall in line with global caps, but has nothing to do with being based on supernatural ranks.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/03/2012 02:00 PM CDT
The defining difference is that magic has a set of skills to be split from. Barb magic use does not. It's apples and oranges.

And as someone else said, power might be what you're used to but duration will not.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/03/2012 02:01 PM CDT
Dance 'power' is already in line with global caps. Power is not being nerfed.

BMR is getting nerfed.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/03/2012 04:03 PM CDT
>>Dance 'power' is already in line with global caps. Power is not being nerfed.

Hmm.

~Leilond
http://tinyurl.com/Leilond-Portrait
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/03/2012 04:15 PM CDT
<<Hmm.

This argument is old and pointless, Leilond. Go re-read the old posts about dances and global caps.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/03/2012 07:05 PM CDT
>>old and pointless... old posts about dances and global caps.

Yeah, which is why I just said "Hmm." I really can't argue for or against it TBH.

Pretty sure no ability will be as powerful as Dragon Dance presently is now though, FWIW.

~Leilond
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/03/2012 08:02 PM CDT
>We were told point blank we weren't going to lose effectiveness.

Okies, Magic Users were told differently about these magic changes. Nevermind my comment!

Aluriaz
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/03/2012 08:39 PM CDT
<<Pretty sure no ability will be as powerful as Dragon Dance presently is now though, FWIW.

Taken alone, no. Dragon is roughly the sort of bonus a fully buffed character might be able to expect, though.

That's sort of the crux of the issue. Right now Barbarians have one choice. 3.0 will give them more like 900.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/04/2012 09:46 AM CDT
>>Dance 'power' is already in line with global caps. Power is not being nerfed.

Dances will have a start-up time, however, which I consider to be a significant nerf of "power" for PvP purposes.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/04/2012 10:05 AM CDT
>>Dances will have a start-up time, however, which I consider to be a significant nerf of "power" for PvP purposes.

But, in fairness, that just puts it in-line with all other magical buffs.

"hypocrite, thy name is teveshszat, and i just hope i'm there to see you when you're broght down." - GERSTEINJ2

Chatter[Gonifa] whatever, scripto-gnome.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/04/2012 10:08 AM CDT
>>But, in fairness, that just puts it in-line with all other magical buffs.

Yep, no argument there, except it would be nice if we could "snap cast" dances for less effectiveness.

A few minutes of something like Shear if often more than enough.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/04/2012 10:10 AM CDT
<<Yep, no argument there, except it would be nice if we could "snap cast" dances for less effectiveness.

Isn't snap-casting going to be feat-based in Magic 3.0?

No reason Barbarians couldn't get an equivalent feat (tree).
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/04/2012 03:35 PM CDT
>>Pretty sure no ability will be as powerful as Dragon Dance presently is now though, FWIW.

Rubbing 10 cjs + stacking buffs from various guilds including one's own > Dragon dance, currently. It's all just a matter of perspective to be honest.

BMR will be axed, but don't expect Barbs to be push-overs when it comes to casting magic at them (as long as they use their abilities correctly, of course).

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/04/2012 03:59 PM CDT
>>Rubbing 10 cjs

This should be nerfed if it hasn't already been said it will be, and whoever does it is a crazy-twink.

~Leilond
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/04/2012 04:09 PM CDT
<<This should be nerfed

Working as intended last time it was brought up, if I'm remembering correctly. CJs are meant to be stackable that way.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/04/2012 04:13 PM CDT
>>Working as intended last time it was brought up, if I'm remembering correctly. CJs are meant to be stackable that way.

Still needs to be nerfed. I'd say one CJ at a time, two max.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/04/2012 04:14 PM CDT
<<Still needs to be nerfed. I'd say one CJ at a time, two max.

Not defending it. Enchanting 3.0 will hopefully include stuff like "magical items can have unintended consequences if you mix more than X of them..." so no one item or items are singled out.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/04/2012 04:24 PM CDT
I take it they're different skill CJs, not all 10 are the same skill?

If it's the former and not the latter, I see nothing wrong with it. It's not like we're going to tell people that they can't all cast buffs on each other and stack things up that way.

"hypocrite, thy name is teveshszat, and i just hope i'm there to see you when you're broght down." - GERSTEINJ2

Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/04/2012 05:59 PM CDT
>>If it's the former and not the latter, I see nothing wrong with it. It's not like we're going to tell people that they can't all cast buffs on each other and stack things up that way.

That's the thing. Dragon was said to be OP because it boosts too many different skills. All bonuses are within global caps, the power was never the issue. The words from a GM are similar to, "Dragon boosts too many skills, even skills that don't exist. It has to be brought in line for boosting that many different skills at once". So if Dragon is only OP because of the number of skills it boosts, shouldn't CJs fall under the same guideline?

I know using 10 CJs isn't all that practical, but the point remains. It's funny since I guarantee every single time I've used Dragon I never needed like half of what it boosts for that situation anyway.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/04/2012 06:28 PM CDT
>I know using 10 CJs isn't all that practical, but the point remains. It's funny since I guarantee every single time I've used Dragon I never needed like half of what it boosts for that situation anyway.

I would hazard a guess and say it's the combination of 10 seperate items, all of which have a creation process with skill checks, and a specific number of uses, along with a definite time of use.

Whereas dragon is a single command of instant boost to a ton of stuff with a non-finite use limit or duration.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/04/2012 07:01 PM CDT
>>Whereas dragon is a single command of instant boost to a ton of stuff with a non-finite use limit or duration.

Do you realize how long it takes for a Barb to reach a 'non-infinite' use limit or duration with Dragon? Much longer than the creation process of cjs.

Not to mention that the creation process of cjs have nothing to do with me going and buying 100. Or, the simple fact that one can actually boost 20 skills if they desire, or 30.

I'm sorry but CJs are OP, and are one of the main reasons GMs will place a cap on stacking boosts. Arguing for them isn't reasonable at this point.

-GM Abasha
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/04/2012 07:10 PM CDT
>I'm sorry but CJs are OP, and are one of the main reasons GMs will place a cap on stacking boosts. Arguing for them isn't reasonable at this point.

I'm not, really. I'm playing devils advocate, while mostly agreeing with you about it. I actually think the two systems aren't really directly comparable, but don't really have much else to do right now, so thought I'd try.

The fact remains, dragon is a single command instant boost to a ton of stuff, CJs at least have windup time (a second or two per activation), require material components, stars, sigil, a creation process, a material component to be kept on the person to activate, and can't be activated in near perpetuity; the material component will run out. They're also going to typically require a second person (a MM) though that's certainly not 100%.

Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/04/2012 08:06 PM CDT
>>he fact remains, dragon is a single command instant boost to a ton of stuff

All dances, berserks, and roars are.

As for the rest of your post, I feel you are trying to explain how cjs work and how they differ from the 'single command' of Dragon, yet you don't seem to understand the limitations of Dragon that CJs don't have. The street goes both ways here.

I think both systems are comparable in the way that many different boosts to many different skills are considered too much at this point. Regardless of how you want to dress both situations, by the time a Barb is able to use Dragon at its max potential a mage (or Barb) could buy hundreds of cjs and use them near limitlessly. If you want me to go into the benefits that CJs do have over Dragon, tell me and I will. Otherwise, there's no point.

-GM Abasha
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/04/2012 08:19 PM CDT
>Otherwise, there's no point.

Meh, there's not. We're just circling the same conversation anyway, I'll stop.

Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/04/2012 09:36 PM CDT
Dragon has a massive IF cost, a small roundtime, and prevents usage of all other barbarian abilities except roars. In addition to that, it's being kneecapped and broken down into half a dozen individual abilities now, each while will require its own RT and build-up time now.

Yes, CJs have a material component and time cost. I don't think anyone would argue that they shouldn't offer some value for use. But anything over a ~90 rank boost for 3 different skills would be right out, IMHO. Stacking ten is not very convenient, but with a basic script it's essentially the same as the current Dragon Dance model, with slightly more activation roundtime and none of the usage limitations.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/04/2012 10:48 PM CDT

>Yes, CJs have a material component and time cost. I don't think anyone would argue that they shouldn't offer some value for use. But anything over a ~90 rank boost for 3 different skills would be right out, IMHO. Stacking ten is not very convenient, but with a basic script it's essentially the same as the current Dragon Dance model, with slightly more activation roundtime and none of the usage limitations.

Would a chance of something going catastrophically bad that increases as the number of CJs active do mitigate this for anyone? Say a chance of the next CJ turning into a curse with the chance being lowered by the skill of the creator and some appropriate skill of the user being on the low end of failure and the high end turning all currently active CJs into brief but powerful curses on the high end?

I don't know if it would make sense lore wise and I hesitate to suggest a penalty like this for something that (working alone) can take up to a quarter year to get all the sigils for the skills you're looking for. But I do agree (in part) that this sort of extreme boosting should probably made a little harder to do.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/04/2012 11:54 PM CDT
>>I don't know if it would make sense lore wise and I hesitate to suggest a penalty like this for something that (working alone) can take up to a quarter year to get all the sigils for the skills you're looking for. But I do agree (in part) that this sort of extreme boosting should probably made a little harder to do.

I personally have no problem with the possibility of a curse, as even my MU characters don't ever really use CJs. However, as evidence by the usage of things like berserks and predictions, the mere possibility of a negative effect precludes usage in many people's perceptions. If there is even a chance something might go wrong, no matter how miniscule that chance, many people avoid the situation altogether.

If there were going to be some sort of restrictions placed upon them, if I am imagining I am a CJ maker, I would rather they just cap the number of skills at X boosts at one time, instead of creating a scaling chance for some sort of backfire. The backfire makes sense thematically (at least as Cjs are currently constructed), but I think CJ users would sell more if people didn't have to worry about backfiring.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/05/2012 10:46 AM CDT
>Would a chance of something going catastrophically bad that increases as the number of CJs active do mitigate this for anyone?

Or we could wait and see what the skill boosting enchantments look like in Enchanting 3.0 (if they exist at all, as I think it's been said they may not). CJs, at least in their current incarnation, are going away soon-ish, so why waste dev time nerfing them now?

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/06/2012 01:49 PM CDT
>> But anything over a ~90 rank boost for 3 different skills would be right out, IMHO.

Like just about every barb dance/zerg? My barb is pretty young, only 25th, but I'm appalled at the strength of the abilities available to him.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/06/2012 02:28 PM CDT
Difference being that dances and roars are pretty much the only abilities barbs get, with the 'no-magic' rule being the tradeoff(ouch!)

Paladins for example, have tons of spells that can all be active at once like HOW(+65 stance points), TR(+disc/MO), HES(+strength), CRC(+MO) Antistun(Really?), RUE(+weapon stats), SP(+MR), RW(+weapon skill), DA(+armor stats), Clarity(point effect on any hostile stealth action with good perception), DG(+int) n Courage(+stam). Glyph of light(+perception) plus the ability to use anything that comes in the form of Arcana. Plenty of abilities right there. So we've got +str/stam/int/disc +offense/defense +weapon/armor stats ++perception +MR +MO

Wait, how are you appalled at the strength of your abilities at 25th? You have 4 dances at this point, none of the 'total package' combat dances, and I'd wager that with your stats at that circle, you're probably at the very bottom tier of bonuses. Combined this with the fact that your BMR is pretty much nonexistent at this point and I'd say you have almost no idea what you're talking about. You're lacking any real criteria to assess the extent of barbarian abilities. It'd be like me claiming I have any idea what Clerics are all about with mine being circle 30th, and yet missing 90% of their most powerful abilities. If you'd care to elaborate further on these 'gamebreaking abilities' that are available to a 25th circle, I'd be eager to hear what I missed out on.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/06/2012 02:38 PM CDT
At the point where you're getting the full benefits of Dragon dance (and there is at least one 150th Barbarian who isn't, to be clear) you can keep way more buffs with way more bonuses up way longer with spells.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/06/2012 03:22 PM CDT
AFAIK, barbs get to stack dances/forms/zerks in 3.0, so I wouldn't bother making this kind of argument.

Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/06/2012 03:50 PM CDT
>>Like just about every barb dance/zerg? My barb is pretty young, only 25th, but I'm appalled at the strength of the abilities available to him.

If you're 25th, your abilities are not anywhere near a 90 rank boost to 3 different skills.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/06/2012 04:13 PM CDT
<<AFAIK, barbs get to stack dances/forms/zerks in 3.0, so I wouldn't bother making this kind of argument.

When the number of spells you can have up at one time is capped, please come back and share your wisdom with us.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/06/2012 04:15 PM CDT
<<You mean like those over powered bards?

Excellent point. Barbarians are not alone in being limited by their "unique" system.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/06/2012 04:27 PM CDT
:(

~Leilond
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/06/2012 04:38 PM CDT
p.s. who wants to help me test new bard and barbarian abilities in 3.0? I need to know all of your abilities inside and out in the case that Vinjince or Squanto decide it's Pick-On-Bards day :P

~Leilond
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/06/2012 07:35 PM CDT
I'm gonna poach you too, Leilond. Just because.
Prev_page Previous 1