Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/06/2012 09:49 PM CDT
>>When the number of spells you can have up at one time is capped, please come back and share your wisdom with us.

Your concession to my point is noted.

"hypocrite, thy name is teveshszat, and i just hope i'm there to see you when you're broght down." - GERSTEINJ2

Chatter[Gonifa] whatever, scripto-gnome.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/06/2012 10:09 PM CDT
No one conceded to your point.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/06/2012 10:59 PM CDT
>>No one conceded to your point.

3.0 Barbarians will be able to have multiple things up at once, thus limiting the argument of how a zerk/form/meditation/etc needs to be all encompassing in order to have a Barbarian be bonused comparatively to magic users. Yes/No?

Now, if your point is that Barbarians do not get an infinite number of spells that they can keep stacked on themselves, then I'd argue that, with the way stacking mechanics work in 3.0, not to mention the way "spheres of influence" work, we'd probably seem some kind of equalization with the way stacking in general magic works versus stacking in barbarian magic (and probably khri, too).

We also don't have a solid grip of everything related to magic. It may not generally be possible, skill-wise, to stack up every single one of your guild's spells at a time. Or, at least, it wouldn't result in a notable shift in the boosts a barbarian would get comparatively.

"hypocrite, thy name is teveshszat, and i just hope i'm there to see you when you're broght down." - GERSTEINJ2

Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/06/2012 11:07 PM CDT
>>3.0 Barbarians will be able to have multiple things up at once, thus limiting the argument of how a zerk/form/meditation/etc needs to be all encompassing in order to have a Barbarian be bonused comparatively to magic users. Yes/No?

Your original tangent was comparing Dragon Dance to CJs, with tons of skills boosted for a miniscule roundtime.

Ignoring the earlier point of Dragon Dance in its current incarnation dying, whether it's a magic-using Barbarian or a Bard, there should be a limit to the number of capped buffs that a person can apply with only a 2-second RT, on top of all their normal guild buffs.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/06/2012 11:15 PM CDT
<<3.0 Barbarians will be able to have multiple things up at once, thus limiting the argument of how a zerk/form/meditation/etc needs to be all encompassing in order to have a Barbarian be bonused comparatively to magic users. Yes/No?

What are you talking about?

Please stop taking very simple trolls on enormous troll tangents.

<<Now, if your point is that Barbarians do not get an infinite number of spells that they can keep stacked on themselves, then I'd argue that, with the way stacking mechanics work in 3.0, not to mention the way "spheres of influence" work, we'd probably seem some kind of equalization with the way stacking in general magic works versus stacking in barbarian magic (and probably khri, too).

Does not follow.

<<We also don't have a solid grip of everything related to magic. It may not generally be possible, skill-wise, to stack up every single one of your guild's spells at a time. Or, at least, it wouldn't result in a notable shift in the boosts a barbarian would get comparatively.

Does not follow.
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/07/2012 12:02 AM CDT
Knock it off, guys. Be constructive or end it. Or go to OOC conflicts -- I hear Annwyl is bored.

Thanks!

Svafa

_
If you have questions or comments, please email me at MOD-SVAFA@PLAY.NET or Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at
DR-SIDATURA@PLAY.NET or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-ANNWYL@PLAY.NET
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/07/2012 01:16 AM CDT
>>Your original tangent was comparing Dragon Dance to CJs, with tons of skills boosted for a miniscule roundtime.

Vee brought up rubbing 10 CJs being better than dragon dance, not me. I replied to that saying I saw nothing wrong with stacking enchantment boosts if they're for different skills, as opposed to stacking Evasion boosts on Evasion boosts, for example.

>>there should be a limit to the number of capped buffs that a person can apply with only a 2-second RT, on top of all their normal guild buffs.

And they are, in a way.

3.0 won't allow similar skill boosts from stacking past cap, and each guild won't get maximum potency if it falls outside of their spheres: http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:Stacking_3.0_-_06/27/2011_-_18:51

While it isn't a hard-line "X BOOSTS ONLY," no guild has that limitation. Even Barbarians are able to get outside boosts while going full blast with their internal abilities.

It might help to think of Barbarian abilities as cyclic/held-mana spells, where you have to allocate X amount of mana to keep each one running. So, it's not a matter of not being allowed to have more than X number of boosts going because of an arbitrary cap, but with the general nature of how the magic system as a whole will probably be supporting how cyclics work.

>>Please stop taking very simple trolls on enormous troll tangents.

Disagreeing with your viewpoint isn't trolling.

Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/07/2012 12:16 PM CDT
>>Rubbing 10 cjs + stacking buffs from various guilds including one's own > Dragon dance, currently.

That's what I said.

>>I replied to that saying I saw nothing wrong with stacking enchantment boosts if they're for different skills, as opposed to stacking Evasion boosts on Evasion boosts, for example.

You're failing to include the amount of boosts from different skills. Obviously everyone will be allowed to stack various different boosts, but if Dragon is deemed OP because it stacks too many different skills (by a GM), then an unlimited amount of different skill boosting would be OP as well, no matter how it's done. The fact that an enchantment allows it to happen easily (and guild abilities are always supposed to be better) makes the argument for CJs even worse.

Perhaps there is a certain number of different skills that must be boosted before it becomes OP. Regardless, unlimited boosting would exceed it and should be thrown in the same category as today's Dragon.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/07/2012 12:36 PM CDT
>>if Dragon is deemed OP because it stacks too many different skills (by a GM), then an unlimited amount of different skill boosting would be OP as well, no matter how it's done.

Eh, I guess I disagree with that. I see nothing wrong with someone taking advantage of multiple sources to get multiple boosts. I think there's a notable difference between multiple sources giving multiple boosts and a single source giving multiple boosts.

If Commoner X shows up and has someone from each guild cast each boost on him/her, I'm all for it. I think it falls far enough outside the realm of possibility that it isn't going to create an issue. I would most likely feel different if it was something that I felt would become commonplace enough that the expectation of something like that being done would in turn be reflected on the way combat is managed/scaled (AFAIK, Gemstone has this kind of situation, where you're pretty much expected to be enchanted/boosted out the wazoo at a certain point of the game).

Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/07/2012 12:55 PM CDT
>>I think there's a notable difference between multiple sources giving multiple boosts and a single source giving multiple boosts.

I would agree with this only if getting boosts from multiple sources was actually difficult. With runestones, cjs, alts, etc... it is quite easy to get boosts from multiple sources, I've done it on other characters before. Item use should never ever be as good as guild abilities, and when something such as CJs are even comparable it becomes out of line IMO.

It's not a matter of going to different guilds and asking. It's the fact that there are items IG that do it for you, that allow you to stockpile many different boosts to different skills and use them within a short period of time with hardly any limitations to the user.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/07/2012 01:16 PM CDT
>there are items IG that do it for you

Nobody seems to want to acknowledge that CJs are certainly changing with Crafting 3.0. My guess is that, if they exist, they'll have a cool down timer of hours or days in addition to charges and last for three to ten minutes (or some period less than the average length of one-on-one combat at equal skills). I would also guess that the player that creates them (since skill boosting is certainly not going to remain a MM only enchantment), will determine the maximum boost based on their sphere of influence. I would also guess a capped skill boost enchantment won't be a hard and fast 90 ranks. It will probably have booth a hard and soft cap for the activating character, like 10% or 90 ranks whichever is lower (made up numbers).

Really, since we have no idea what CJs/skill boost enchantments will look like... this whole conversation is kind of academic.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/07/2012 01:23 PM CDT
>>Nobody seems to want to acknowledge that CJs are certainly changing with Crafting 3.0. My guess is that, if they exist, they'll have a cool down timer of hours or days in addition to charges and last for three to ten minutes (or some period less than the average length of one-on-one combat at equal skills).

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the new wave of skill/stat boosters that can be crafted in 3.0 function similarly to the quest end prizes that do the same.

Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/07/2012 01:25 PM CDT
>It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the new wave of skill/stat boosters that can be crafted in 3.0 function similarly to the quest end prizes that do the same.

I would assume the quest end prizes are better than what players can make, but yes I bet they'll be similar. I haven't taken a very close look at them because I don't have time to do quests.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Just a Comment about "magical" effectiveness 04/07/2012 04:48 PM CDT
>>Really, since we have no idea what CJs/skill boost enchantments will look like... this whole conversation is kind of academic.

Hey we're arguing on whether or not they're balanced as of now. So leave us alone. :(

-GM Abasha
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page