Prev_page Previous 1
Small favor 10/20/2004 04:10 PM CDT
Would you barbs mind not hunting in areas were Warrior Mages frequent. You mess up our magics with your MR.

There, that was easy.

Have a nice day.

Woodcubb of Ilithi
Re: Small favor 10/20/2004 04:18 PM CDT
>>Would you barbs mind not hunting in areas were Warrior Mages frequent. You mess up our magics with your MR.

Would you mages mind not hunting in areas that swarm? Thx.

Brabs

It's fascinating, though, how much like an oral culture this can be when it's carried out entirely in text.--GM Natala
Re: Small favor 10/20/2004 04:26 PM CDT
<<Would you barbs mind not hunting in areas were Warrior Mages frequent. You mess up our magics with your MR.>>

Sorry, Woodcubb but that's a pretty unreasonable request.

Gizella
Re: Small favor 10/20/2004 04:28 PM CDT
<<Sorry, Woodcubb but that's a pretty unreasonable request.>>

I know. I figured it was. But I figured since barbs tend to be unreasonable anyways, I might have a fighting chance to have my selfish desires appeased.

Can't blame a mage fer trying though. I just wish barbarians think about MY needs and what I want. Why can't it be about me me ME for once?

sighs selfishly

Woodcubb of Ilithi
Re: Small favor 10/20/2004 04:29 PM CDT
<<Would you mages mind not hunting in areas that swarm?>>

Heh. Touche.

Woodcubb of Ilithi
Re: Small favor 10/20/2004 04:51 PM CDT
Could always try not being so weak? :P

I walk around all day long where war mages hunt, usually im the one gettin a stray bolt or two from CL, I don't see myself messin anyone's day up.

-G, player thereof

---
Messenger Boy: The Thessalonian you're fighting, he's the biggest man I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Achilles: That is why no one will remember your name.
Re: Small favor 10/20/2004 04:53 PM CDT
There's a warrior mage complaining about barbs messing up their non-room-resistance-checking spells. Like ES and spells that aren't targetted at the barb.

I am --- Navak
Re: Small favor 10/20/2004 05:13 PM CDT
<<There's a warrior mage complaining about barbs messing up their non-room-resistance-checking spells. Like ES and spells that aren't targetted at the barb.>>

Ya have to admidt, that can be a pain in the keester.

Woodcubb of Ilithi
Re: Small favor 10/20/2004 05:15 PM CDT
<<I walk around all day long where war mages hunt, usually im the one gettin a stray bolt or two from CL, I don't see myself messin anyone's day up.>>

But that's different. Folks who walk into our rooms and get hit by stray bolts are dummies. Barbs who walk into our rooms and disrupt our magics are just plain evil.

(ducks)

Woodcubb of Ilithi (Hoping their buying this)
Re: Small favor 10/20/2004 09:42 PM CDT
<<Folks who walk into our rooms and get hit by stray bolts are dummies.

How are we dummies? That'd be like us throwing a spray of knives around and hitting a mage as he runs through, it's the same idea. You'd blame us, we have the right to blame you.

-Z-

Times change, people don't.
Re: Small favor 10/20/2004 09:46 PM CDT
Dear woodcubb,

Go away.

With Love, Everyone.

Celestica moves a stone mortar labeled "NotCelestiaa" to his right hand.
You tap a hollow ram's horn labeled "NotCelestica" that you are wearing.
* Celestiaa was just struck down!
* Celestica was just struck down!
* Celesi was just struck down!
Re: Small favor 10/20/2004 10:40 PM CDT
I hear they make non-lead-based paints now woodcubb.

-triton

Klatu...verata.....ni....Necktie... Nickel... It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word!
Re: Small favor 10/21/2004 01:05 AM CDT
I'm so glad these forums have features they didn't before. Sure, you miss things, but only the things you want ::grins::

~Ambassador Viptorian Arcinian

"Gor'Tog is not stupid. He is slow in mind, but he keep thinking until he get answer or he ask someone who knows. He always get answer somehow, or else answer not matter anyway."
~Aunt Olma's Tog Story
Re: Small favor 10/21/2004 01:22 AM CDT
Woodcubb, it's not rude, it's incentive to raise your skills! Think of us as kind teachers, urging you to greater feats of ability! Every time your CL fails and you die, take it as a message from us to you that you really ought to have raised that PM and harness, now oughtn't you?

Katsura
AIM: Dantragg
Re: Small favor 10/21/2004 06:41 AM CDT
>Woodcubb, it's not rude, it's incentive to raise your skills! Think of us as kind teachers, urging you to greater feats of ability! Every time your CL fails and you die, take it as a message from us to you that you really ought to have raised that PM and harness, now oughtn't you?

and by PM and Harness Kat means Evasion and Parry.

Re: Small favor 10/21/2004 08:03 AM CDT
<<Can't blame a mage fer trying though. I just wish barbarians think about MY needs and what I want. Why can't it be about me me ME for once?>>

<chuckles>

- Ruffles

"The fire burns bright from within."
Re: Small favor 10/21/2004 10:29 AM CDT
But mages that hunt where barbs hunt are already 20+ circles above the barbarians. . .

~Bractos

Weapon Forging
A barbarian's inherent understanding of weapons makes him or her a natural at the forge. Anyone can forge a crude weapon, but only barbarians can produce legendary quality weapons sought after by all.
Re: Small favor 10/21/2004 10:46 AM CDT
<<But mages that hunt where barbs hunt are already 20+ circles above the barbarians.>>

Those mages are what we call chemically dependant.

Woodcubb of Ilithi
Re: Small favor 10/21/2004 07:40 PM CDT
The circle discrepancy is due to the difference in requirements. While having goals is nice and good, and keeping yourself to a strict training schedule is worthy of praise, I simply cannot understand people who deliberately do not circle. Are you allergic to TDPs and concentration? Do you not like having spell slots/abilities? Or do you simply want to dominate tourneys that have circle brackets?

"Perhaps the angel world might even be set up with ectoplasm causally dependent on physical properties, so that wombat copulation on the physical plane sometimes gives rise to baby ectoplasmic wombats on the nonphysical plane." - David J. Chalmers
Re: Small favor 10/21/2004 07:51 PM CDT
I haven't circled in forever Have gained over 1200 Tdps since my last circle and really dont need more concetration. When I circle I circle.

Re: Small favor 10/21/2004 08:17 PM CDT
>>While having goals is nice and good, and keeping yourself to a strict training schedule is worthy of praise, I simply cannot understand people who deliberately do not circle.

There's no fun in circling. There is fun, however, in fulfilling goals.

Having 500 hide at 60th circle will be fun. Getting to 60th circle on bare minimum requirements will probably not be.

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia

For me, there is no perfect day.
Re: Small favor 10/21/2004 09:20 PM CDT
I just don't get it. I don't see the point of setting a skill goal by a certain circle, when by the time you reach that goal, you're actually eligible to be much higher circle.

"Perhaps the angel world might even be set up with ectoplasm causally dependent on physical properties, so that wombat copulation on the physical plane sometimes gives rise to baby ectoplasmic wombats on the nonphysical plane." - David J. Chalmers
Re: Small favor 10/21/2004 11:32 PM CDT
There is 2 extreme types people when we talk about this i think.

First being people who actually get more joy, or fufillment out of RP'ing and just taking it easy... circling is on the bottem of their priority list.

Then there are circle chasers. Who tend to burn out really quick. Those who don't burn are those people you see and go why werent you just 30th circle like 3 months ago? Most players in my experience love to roleplay and use circling(elderisms) to roleplay even more so.

I can not personally agree with not circling... it takes all of 5 seconds assuming you have the prereqs...

But i can understand why they wouldnt.

also some being of high circles, dont want to fight flexers 'O doom.

-triton

Klatu...verata.....ni....Necktie... Nickel... It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word!
Re: Small favor 10/21/2004 11:38 PM CDT
The people about whom I'm referring, though, aren't of the circle where they need to hunt flex critters to circle. I'm talking about things like, say, 200 hiding by 30th. From a Warrior Mage.

Re: Small favor 10/22/2004 08:09 AM CDT
<<I'm talking about things like, say, 200 hiding by 30th. From a Warrior Mage.

That's probably alittle high for 30th, but I try to keep a few extra weapons at my main weapons rank + skinning, lockpicking, disarming, stalking, hiding, all defenses, and perception. I just like being able to kill, skin, disarm and pick, hide on and poach\ambush the critters I hunt at level. If I just circled chased I wouldn't be able to pick my own boxes, skin my own critters, hide on them ect. That is why I don't circle fast, and it's probably the reason many others don't as well.

Codiax.

Crowd Control:
You've gained a new rank in your ability to fight multiple opponents.
Re: Small favor 10/22/2004 08:18 AM CDT
Self-sufficient, See Fafrahd.

Fafradhd, see self-sufficient...

I am --- Navak
Re: Small favor 10/22/2004 08:37 AM CDT
<<I'm talking about things like, say, 200 hiding by 30th. From a Warrior Mage.

Crap. I'm definitely behind the power curve.

Trebber
Re: Small favor 10/22/2004 08:45 AM CDT
>>Crap. I'm definitely behind the power curve.

Get with it slacker!

But seriously, what's hard to understand about people who set goals like that and try to achieve them rather than trying to achieve the goal of circling?

I mean if I sat and wanted to train armor, I could probably get 10 circles in as many days. But getting armor isn't fun for me, it isn't what keeps me playing. I set goals for myself, TDPs from ranks per circle, ranks in specific skills per circle, overall ranks per circle.

When I meet all of those three for the current circle, then I bite the bullet and go ahead and get the next circle and start all over again. But it simply isn't fun for me, or worth it really, to go and power circle.

Not to mention, as someone said, it is fun to be able to say those things. Not many people can say they killed a Seordmar at 48th circle. And also, if the Kaith Kirm ever picks up, you'll be able to tell the people working for useful goals over working for that last lore rank.

Re: Small favor 10/22/2004 09:06 AM CDT
>>you'll be able to tell the people working for useful goals over working for that last lore rank.<<

Lore? This is a barbarian board. I have both of our required lore ranks.

~Bractos

Weapon Forging
A barbarian's inherent understanding of weapons makes him or her a natural at the forge. Anyone can forge a crude weapon, but only barbarians can produce legendary quality weapons sought after by all.
Re: Small favor 10/22/2004 11:32 AM CDT
>>The circle discrepancy is due to the difference in requirements. While having goals is nice and good, and keeping yourself to a strict training schedule is worthy of praise, I simply cannot understand people who deliberately do not circle. Are you allergic to TDPs and concentration? Do you not like having spell slots/abilities? Or do you simply want to dominate tourneys that have circle brackets?

Must get more multi! Must work my survivals up higher.

I don't circle cause I enjoy working my survivals, and trying to bring my multi up to make surviving a bit better. Also I want to get every weapon out there to 200 by 60th.

Sitting right around 700 ranks gained since last time I did.

Brabs

It's fascinating, though, how much like an oral culture this can be when it's carried out entirely in text.--GM Natala
Re: Small favor 10/22/2004 11:35 AM CDT
>That's probably alittle high for 30th, but I try to keep a few extra weapons at my main weapons rank + skinning, lockpicking, disarming, stalking, hiding, all defenses, and perception. I just like being able to kill, skin, disarm and pick, hide on and poach\ambush the critters I hunt at level. If I just circled chased I wouldn't be able to pick my own boxes, skin my own critters, hide on them ect. That is why I don't circle fast, and it's probably the reason many others don't as well.

Bingo, we have a winner! I can almost open my boxes at level again. Been working on that for a while.

Brabs

Re: Small favor 10/22/2004 11:37 AM CDT
>>Lore? This is a barbarian board. I have both of our required lore ranks.

Got mine to about 120th or 130th at least.

Brabs

Re: Small favor 10/22/2004 11:47 AM CDT
Both years of the Kaith Kirm I've been dissatisfied with the way the combat is run; that's why I was so keen on Eye of the Storm and why I was disappointed that I missed it.

I guess, to be honest, what I don't understand is the people who try to achieve a goal by a certain circle, and by the time (or well before) they achieve that goal, the only reason they aren't higher circle is because they haven't gone to a guildleader and circled. Under that mentality, I could meet any number of ridiculous goals by, say, 10th circle by simply circling to tenth and then working on those skills until they are high enough. Then I could brag about how I had 500 teaching by 10th circle, when in reality I've actually fulfilled requirements for 70th.

I see nothing wrong with training multiple weapons at a primary level - I'm surprised more people don't do it, actually. Rounding out your skills is a GOOD thing to do. I've got more multi than any of my other combat skills, and I've got more perception than I have a right to.

Teeklin, I must agree that power circling is not fun; on the other hand, I fulfill my requirements (and more) just through my regular habitual activities. I don't have to go out of my way to circle, it just happens. I don't see any reason NOT to, when I'm eligible, pop down to the guild, circle, and take my extra TDPs and possibly a new spell.

Re: Small favor 10/22/2004 12:09 PM CDT
>>I guess, to be honest, what I don't understand is the people who try to achieve a goal by a certain circle, and by the time (or well before) they achieve that goal, the only reason they aren't higher circle is because they haven't gone to a guildleader and circled.

Well I haven't trained the weapons I need to circle due to training my other skills up. Circling isn't everything.

>>I don't see any reason NOT to, when I'm eligible, pop down to the guild, circle, and take my extra TDPs and possibly a new spell.

Spells? No spells in the barb guild. Why are we discussing spells?

Brabs

Re: Small favor 10/22/2004 01:33 PM CDT
<<the only reason they aren't higher circle is because they haven't gone to a guildleader and circled.

I don't think too many people do that, maybe some do I don't know. But if I had the ranks I needed to circle I would circle just for the TDPs and train intel or wisdom or something if I didn't know what to train.

My example, which I think is kinda the same with Brabs, is I need 2 or 3 ranks of HE to circle, but I needed 2 or 3 ranks of HE, about 600 ranks ago also.....I am just focusing on catching other stuff up.

Codiax.

Crowd Control:
You've gained a new rank in your ability to fight multiple opponents.
Re: Small favor 10/22/2004 01:39 PM CDT
I train skills that are useful to me. If I circle, so be it.

I recently getting 7 ranks of longbow would have gotten me 3 circles. I got 1 rank when bored and circled once. Still haven't circled other two times and it's been a few weeks now.

PM/harness, TM, hiding, stalking, evasion, perception, shield, light chain/light plate, and to a lesser degree HE, multi and MD. These are the skills that are important to me, and these are the skills I train.

Player of Tessaa, The 1337 80th WM
Re: Small favor 10/22/2004 02:05 PM CDT
>>Teeklin, I must agree that power circling is not fun; on the other hand, I fulfill my requirements (and more) just through my regular habitual activities.

Set harder goals :)

You'd have to have some pretty sick habitual activities to get 25 ranks hide, 18 longbow, and 450 TDPs from ranks per circle just working normally. But even if your goals did look like that (my personal ones) then you could always bump it up to 30 per.

There's always a harder goal, that's why it's called a goal. Something you have to work for. And that's alright for a lot of people, for most people. Their goal happens to totally coincide with the guildleader's goal...and so they get just the right amount of ranks per circle and they circle normally and life is good.

Others of us, for example, set goals that are difficult and work for them and that's better than circling for us.

Re: Small favor 10/22/2004 02:07 PM CDT
<<I train skills that are useful to me. If I circle, so be it.>>

I'm with Tess on this one. I use to chase circles, but when my hunting time cut cut over half, I knew there was no way for me to keep up with the jones. So I started focusing on things I like and will need, so as a mage I have to spend more time on climbing, swimming and boxes. I hope to be self suffient as I approach my centinial circle (in about 4 or 5 years maybe).

Woodcubb of Ilithi
Re: Small favor 10/22/2004 02:44 PM CDT
>Got mine to about 120th or 130th at least.

thats it? pft mine are past 200th reqs

Re: Small favor 10/22/2004 02:46 PM CDT
>I've got more multi than any of my other combat skills,

yea at what circle and how long have you been playing?

when I started multi was literally impossible to learn and when they finally switched it over alot of the older folks were in bad shape inthat department. Not that mine isn't caught up well now, but its not myhighest. however I've started new characters and its ridiculous how easy Multi is to learn and it can easily be your highest combat skill well into your 40's and if you want to keep it that way its not that hard.

Prev_page Previous 1