Prev_page Previous 1
Justice Updates 03/26/2015 04:53 AM CDT
In the next few minutes I'll be rolling out a number of updates to the Justice system. The intent is to place a heavier burden on chronic offenders while leaving minor criminals largely untouched.

Your criminal history will now decay over time. This was part of the old system (That was replaced in 2007 or so) and was intended to be part of the new system, but the reduction was only being applied to a single fine instead of permanently removing charges from your history. Remember that each justice area tracks your record separately - so if the heat gets too high in one city it might be time to move to another for awhile.

Prior crimes will drive you fines up notably faster than before. This means if you have a long criminal record you will see your fines spike up across the board, but they'll fall over time now that decay works.

Murder, Endangering the Public, Forbidden Practices and Crimes Against the State will all carry much heavier fines than before.

Paladins will no longer see their fines modified (up or down) based on their soul state.

Plead Innocent has been nerfed. The size of your fine is now a much larger factor in your success rate, prior petty crimes are a slightly larger factor and prior felonies were notably lessened (due to a bug fix). Necromancer with high Social Outrage are exceedingly unlikely to be found innocent. If you are found guilty after pleading innocent your fine will be increased much more than before.

Characters below 10th circle have had their fines capped at one gold per fine.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 05:20 AM CDT
I almost forgot - big thanks to Grejuva for a the quick QC on this. Also, to clarify, if you're not a Necromancer but you still manage to get a mob after you? Pleading Innocent may not be for you.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 06:17 AM CDT
Sounds great other than it being harder to murder someone and walk away with no fine :(
Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 06:58 AM CDT
Is this going to punitively punish thieves?

They have to train stealing to circle. Getting caught 1-2 times per run is...pretty much a standard, if you want to actually train the skill.

Bear in mind stealing still has the 1 hour timer per shop, and other already punitive restrictions.
Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 07:22 AM CDT
This also sounds like a whole bunch of awesome, aside from the Endangering the Public fines coming from while using an AoE during a town invasion. I'm kinda at the point of not even using them to fight in that situation due to the difficulty of seeing whether or not they've been OK'ed by the guard during a given invasion. Maybe at some point a command could be added to JUSTICE to check the status of harmful AoEs in such situations? JUSTICE AOE or JUSTICE ENDANGER or something like that.

But thanks for the updates and the decay and all that!

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 10:04 AM CDT
Am I misremembering that justice already tells you if its turned off?

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 10:24 AM CDT

Too bad thief pretend titles don't open up a second justice pool for them. 'That wasn't me, it was my twin. Those moonmages can't be trusted I tell ya!'
Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 11:31 AM CDT
>>Am I misremembering that justice already tells you if its turned off?

It does, but if it is flipped back on before you kill a lingering critter, it can cause a problem. AFAIK the justice system going into invasion mode is a switch GMs have to flip manually on and off, it's not like there's something along the lines of "if there are invasion critters wandering around, justice is off".

While I don't know a good solution to this, I think it's a bit unfair to have people typing "justice" before each AoE.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 11:55 AM CDT
When you are doing research and attempt to cast a spell, it gives you a warning that it'll interrupt your research and tells you to repeat in X seconds to continue.
Could a similar check be added to casting a spell that would endanger the public to see if you are in an active justice area, and have a similar warning telling you to repeat the action to continue?

I'm not sure how often people purposely cast AoE spells in justice areas, if that extra prompt would get annoying..
Just seems like it would help against people who might accidentally cast an AoE not knowing the effect, or casting it during an invasion seconds after justice is restored.
Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 12:17 PM CDT
I for one hate that extra warning research gives you. If I want to cast a spell I want to cast it. You only lose whatever research you've done in that section so it's never going to be more than 300 seconds. I wish that warning was toggle-able or it would just go away completely.

It would be annoying to have to prep a spell twice every time. Worst case scenario you pay a fine - and either decide it's worth it the next time or you learn and don't cast that spell inside justice. What would you do about rogue moongates? Messaging that says, "Are you sure you want to open a moongate without a moon in the sky?".

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 12:52 PM CDT
Heh.. so yeah, the system's quite a bit harsher than it was.

My recall warrant said my fine was gonna be like 1.5 gold (I think I got caught twice in shops and once by the sailor in Haven)... even with pleading guilty they got me for like 7.5 gold.

Is/could there be a way to tell how bad your reputation is? Don't mean it to be as descriptive as "You should expect your fine to be 5x your warrant amount with a guilty plea", but something like "recall/warrant reputation" returning something like.. "You are considered at large/an uncommon criminal/a disturber of the peace/a lawless SOB in the city/province of <blah>".

Segmere Freat
Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 02:07 PM CDT
>>Is/could there be a way to tell how bad your reputation is? Don't mean it to be as descriptive as "You should expect your fine to be 5x your warrant amount with a guilty plea", but something like "recall/warrant reputation" returning something like.. "You are considered at large/an uncommon criminal/a disturber of the peace/a lawless SOB in the city/province of <blah>".

Let me think about it. Because of the way decay works this wouldn't be as simple as you might think.

I will reiterate that over time the MASSIVE spike in fines some people will see will normalize out since decay will actually work now, but it's going to take some time.

>>Is this going to punitively punish thieves?

It was specifically intended not to. In the short term? Yes. They're going to have a ton of priors and that's going to blow their fines up a fair bit. In the long run, once decay is able to smooth things out it'll be much better for them than the current system.

-Raesh

Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 03:08 PM CDT
>Is this going to punitively punish thieves?

>It was specifically intended not to. In the short term? Yes. They're going to have a ton of priors and that's going to blow their fines up a fair bit. In the long run, once decay is able to smooth things out it'll be much better for them than the current system.

My question was kind of angling to 'thieves are forced to steal to circle' combined with 'it is unreasonable to say steal without ever getting caught' given the current stealing mechanics. So thieves will (almost always) have a lot of priors?
Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 03:19 PM CDT
Thieves, in general, will have more priors that non thieves. That just makes sense. The problem right now is that thieves have years and years and YEARS of priors all being held against them that have never decayed.

While waiting for things to reach equilibrium I'd recommend stealing in a city you've never spent a bunch of time stealing in - you may have little or no priors there currently and while you're operating there the heat in the other justice areas will decay.

As a general rule of thumb as long as you're avoiding felony charges (Which take longer decay) as long as you're being arrested once per real life day or less, you'll see your fines drop over time.

-Raesh

Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 03:22 PM CDT
>>While waiting for things to reach equilibrium

I can't speak to how fast decay happens, but if a lot of people are in the "critical" range right now, could having a spontaneous fire at each province's record halls (clearly not organized by any guild of Thieves) but a fair/reasonable way to wipe the slate clean and get things rolling with a fresh start?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 03:40 PM CDT
Thieves gonna get reparations for years of oppression?

[20:11] Chatter[Arathael] Usually only get skill when it's successful.
[20:13] Chatter[Morpion] Thats why Arathael has 0.00 ranks in Getting Girls
[20:14] Chatter[Arathael] =(
Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 04:27 PM CDT
You're thieves. Go steal your reparations.

I considered a mass amnesty and, at this time, I don't think it's the way to go. It shouldn't be that hard to work around and for the people we don't want to hurt (thieves) the penalty didn't go up that much. Meanwhile, giving amnesty to a mass murderer would undermine a lot of these changes.

As mentioned this bug was particularly unfortunate because it works directly counter to what I was trying to do.

-Raesh

Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 05:38 PM CDT
you have been found guilty of thievery in the City of Riverhaven. It is with a solemn hope that you will change your ways that I pronounce a fine upon you of 20 platinum, 2 gold, 3 silver, 9 bronze, and 2 copper.

Please add a new way to train stealing past 700 ranks or reverse this, thanks.
Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 08:21 PM CDT
Have you tried another area that you don't have as much history with?

-Raesh

Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 08:33 PM CDT
>Have you tried another area that you don't have as much history with?

Well, that's part of the problem; stealing requires you to visit a city with 5-20 shops (we're being realistic here regarding the skill).

Not all locations have goods in the price range to teach, or enough shops to teach in your price range.

Which is fine, just go somewhere else.

Except stealing has no bearing on hunting, and thieves need to do both to circle. It can be pretty impractical to go to a different jurisdiction to train stealing depending on where you are, and/or your combat vs. stealing ranks.
Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 08:38 PM CDT
Not to sound unsympathetic, but I don't consider it a design failing to not make every area primal to train every skill at once. Even setting aside p4 and teleportation, high level players can get to anywhere in for provinces within a few minutes. Thieves more so than most.

Now if there are no other viable cities at all at that skill range, that is a legitimate concern.

-Raesh

Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 09:12 PM CDT
I have to steal from Haven, Dirge, Arthe, and Crossing to just hit 24/34 in stealing experience. I can't just up and move since there is really no viable places to move stealing anymore at 700+ ranks. I should not have to relocate to the abandoned wasteland known as Muspari to lock stealing.

If I want to lock stealing outside of Muspari I'd pretty much have to steal from every shop in Theren to Shard and I'm just not willing to do that. I dont even consider Shard since the dumb place closes at night.

Where do I move to when I already steal from the better part of the world? And what about in another 100 ranks when I lose even more places to steal from?
Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 09:14 PM CDT
How often are you getting arrested?

-Raesh

Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 09:16 PM CDT
>> As a general rule of thumb as long as you're avoiding felony charges (Which take longer decay) as long as you're being arrested once per real life day or less, you'll see your fines drop over time.

Will this negatively impact TF players since they tend to stay logged in all day and probably get arrested at least once a day? Any chance to get this customized based on that, like we did for necro outrage?
Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 09:22 PM CDT
I get arrested every other day depending on how much I play. Stealing is the one skill I actually like training so I train it whenever I can. But it really just comes down to how lucky I am at any given time.
Re: Justice Updates 03/26/2015 09:35 PM CDT
We can adjust tf if it ends up being needed. Keep in mind this system isn't new. The prios going away is.

-Raesh

Re: Justice Updates 03/27/2015 02:01 PM CDT

>I have to steal from Haven, Dirge, Arthe, and Crossing to just hit 24/34 in stealing experience. I can't just up and move since there is really no viable places to move stealing anymore at 700+ ranks. I should not have to relocate to the abandoned wasteland known as Muspari to lock stealing.

>If I want to lock stealing outside of Muspari I'd pretty much have to steal from every shop in Theren to Shard and I'm just not willing to do that. I dont even consider Shard since the dumb place closes at night.

>Where do I move to when I already steal from the better part of the world? And what about in another 100 ranks when I lose even more places to steal from?

All of this. I bought JJ to travel to muspari for stealing runs, simply because spending an hour to train 1 skill (okay, 2 if you count the pitiful stealth you get shoplifting) to get not even mindlocked. When I do Shard, wolf, arthe, haven, rossman, dirge, leth, shard (sneak in the east gate isn't too bad), and hib, I don't mindlock. There is no other place to go to let some city decay. Now, I think this update would be fair if you adjust shop inventories to carry higher tier items, making it possible for people who steal to mitigate their priors by shifting between provinces. I've capped 15 shops between Crossing and Arthe. It gets really painful.

Jalika
Re: Justice Updates 03/27/2015 02:05 PM CDT

>It gets really painful.

Can't agree more. Why not crank down the timer to something reasonable... Like 20 min. Would solve so many issues.
Re: Justice Updates 03/27/2015 02:07 PM CDT
>>adjust shop inventories to carry higher tier items

Or maybe some way to make the existing shops/items harder to steal from? Sort of like a chaos symbiosis for stealing.
Re: Justice Updates 03/27/2015 03:15 PM CDT
>>adjust shop inventories to carry higher tier items

>>Or maybe some way to make the existing shops/items harder to steal from? Sort of like a chaos symbiosis for stealing.

Totally disconnected from the stealing system myself, but aren't you generally expected to hide while stealing? In other words, you're penalized when stealing without hiding first.

Maybe stealing from shops without hiding can be treated as a "harder" version, instead of a "dumber" version, and provide additional exp accordingly.

Then there's always critter stealing! I think the last time this was brought up, it was a matter of figuring out how treasure stolen from mobs relates to the treasure you then find on a searched mob, but maybe a nice middle ground would be allowing players to "steal" gear held by critters as long as the critters aren't engaged in combat. Might be a nice way for people to disarm critters, too.

Re: Justice Updates 03/27/2015 03:40 PM CDT
It used to be if hiding was higher then stealing it would help. I think it was only lower ranks though. No idea if still applicable. That was pre-3.0/1.

Re: Justice Updates 03/27/2015 04:26 PM CDT

Im ok with the whole increased fines, but this heat thing and increasing them even more has gotta go.

Until theres a viable option to train thievery at higher ranks where you dont have to gib every town/shop to keep it rolling once per hour there really is no practical way to 'just move somewhere till heat level dissolves'. Unless like you buy JJ to bounce from island/mainland or something, but we really want to get into -having- to do that? And even then.. you will just have heat going on in all areas eventually? (not quite sure how long it takes to fade just yet?)
Re: Justice Updates 03/27/2015 04:36 PM CDT
The rule is (or was) that hiding bonuses the attempt unless your hiding is worse than your stealing, in which case hiding is a penalty.

Im unaware of any changes to this being mentioned, especially since 3.whatever didn't touch stealing, except to rename the skill so maybe to encourage development beyond a shallow one-off and one day it won't fail the "should even be a skill" test.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Justice Updates 03/27/2015 04:48 PM CDT
>>Im ok with the whole increased fines, but this heat thing and increasing them even more has gotta go.

Once again, the heat thing is *not a new system*. Priors are tracked exactly as before. The differences are that the multipliers got larger (this is the only penalty that applies to stealing) and priors now decay away forever (Instead of just offering a one time discount on your next arrest depending on how much time had passed).

-Raesh

Re: Justice Updates 03/27/2015 05:01 PM CDT
I think much of the discussion here is not a dislike of the new changes, but identification of another problem. Stealing experience really needs a boost. The same amount of experience from pilfering is applied from before the expansion of pool sizes we saw in the late 2000's (I'm talking way before DR 3.0, when your mindstate could still get frozen).

Nikpack
Re: Justice Updates 03/27/2015 05:04 PM CDT
Yes. High level stealing can use work. There's no doubt about that.

-Raesh

Re: Justice Updates 03/27/2015 07:27 PM CDT
>I think much of the discussion here is not a dislike of the new changes, but identification of another problem. Stealing experience really needs a boost. The same amount of experience from pilfering is applied from before the expansion of pool sizes we saw in the late 2000's (I'm talking way before DR 3.0, when your mindstate could still get frozen).

Seconded. I don't have any problems with the fine or 'heat' system, etc.

Just...it really does make stealing even worse for the people who are flat out forced to train it to level up. Fixing the root (stealing, exp, etc.) makes that a moot point.
Re: Justice Updates 03/27/2015 07:34 PM CDT
Stealing in combat.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Justice Updates 03/27/2015 07:49 PM CDT
I'd like to see player stealing teach better. If it locks you open why doesn't it do anything? I realize you could compare to PVP combat which doesn't teach but combat is something that is much easier to train compared to ste...thievery.

Re: Justice Updates 03/27/2015 07:52 PM CDT
As much as I'd love a better way to learn thievery, I think player PVP stealing teaching too well would just bring back stealing circles of yore with no risk. And I'd be cranky when all them kids got easy ranks.

Jalika
Prev_page Previous 1