Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 11:17 AM CDT

Same problem with almost every idea revolving around gweths.

"Whats to stop someone from rolling up a F2P (takes 2 minutes) and giving him/her a gweth?"

Solution is simple, people below 20th circle can't participate in the gweth system, they can only hear thoughts if you use a Kyanite/Jadeite or any gweth.
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 11:18 AM CDT

Or perhaps make the circle 16th as 16th is when they lose chatter.
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 11:43 AM CDT
So limit the interaction of new people with other people in the game? I don't think that's a good solution at all, and I don't see why it has to be so complicated. Armifer's proposal will drastically cut back item destruction, and more than likely decrease the amount of time someone is kept from using the gweth with THUMP (timing is still an unknown).

I'm not sure what really needs to be done other than this? Taking gweths away from low circle characters for their protection, or to stop trolling isn't really a good solution.
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 02:25 PM CDT

You're not limiting new player interaction; for someone with less then 16 circles it would be near impossible (and in fact, actually impossible, strictly going by bank account limitations) to purchase gweths. And up to circle 16 they have access to CHATTER, which is far more useful and community-oriented/moderated source of information. In fact, I WISH genuinely new players will avoid the steaming cesspool of scum and villainy known as the gweth community.

And why is it so complicated? System checks that you are under 16 circles, denies you ability to vote and thoughtcast, pretty simple, one line of code.
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 02:26 PM CDT
With the caveat that this is not policy_ now I am only spitballing ATM.

I'm wondering how effective it'd be if we remove the "to police OOC" from gweth thump, smash, and regular thump, and just make it strictly an IC tool. OOC disruption on the gweths would return to being moderated by the GMs.

I don't know if it's practical, but I thought I'd throw the thought out there to see what kind of response it'd get.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 02:40 PM CDT

Or to compromise even further, below 16's CAN have FULL use of gweths but just aren't allowed to vote on gweth thumps. Now they have full access to gweths but the exploit of making dummy F2P accounts for purposes of cheating the ballots is fixed.

The main problem that needs to be dealt with is this "one man judge,jury, executioner". This is exactly why societies developed constitutions, trial by juries, and law making through consensus building. When a king can just sit there and proclaim through "might makes right" that he finds your RP "boring or unsatisfactory or even OOC(in his opinion)" and then on a whimsy gweth block/thump you it leads to things like this thread and eventually cancelled accounts. When 100 people in concert say "shut up you're disruptive", generally (for normal people), they accept it and move on (and most likely for 100 players to say "yeah, that was way over the line" it probably was truly disruptive).
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 02:54 PM CDT

It's a good thought but not very practical unless gweth thump powers were strictly reserved for GMs/mentors (I've spoken with all the active mentors and would trust them with this power without any reservation.)

The main problem with this policy is that it's a round-a-bout way of saying that the gweths are a free for all; since OOC offenses are now strictly in the purview of GMs, what's left? Probably just 1.) I don't like that comment(for whatever reason). 2.) I want to pick a fight with you (for whatever trollish reason) 3.) I like abusing my power over newer players (for whatever demented trollish reason) etc. At least, if gweth thump retained it's OOC punishing purpose, there would be some legitimacy to it but without that purpose gweth-thump becomes a tool solely to troll,provoke,and harass.
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 03:04 PM CDT
If you're expecting gwethspeech to be protected in any scenario you are probably going to be disappointed with the outcome.

I'm totally willing to tweak things and make them more group-oriented, but you're not going to get around the idea that PCs will have tools to silence speech which offends them, both on the gweths and in the room with them.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 03:10 PM CDT
>>I'm wondering how effective it'd be if we remove the "to police OOC" from gweth thump, smash, and regular thump, and just make it strictly an IC tool. OOC disruption on the gweths would return to being moderated by the GMs.

Wouldn't be against it, but it's not like people wouldn't smash/thump someone being OOC, anyway.

Honestly I think smashing would be more balanced if it just turned off thinking for 10-15 minutes (and maybe burned a charge off a gweth), as opposed to outright exploding gweths no matter how many charges they had.

Removing smash entirely and having everyone just be able to gweth thump would be fine for me, too.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 03:13 PM CDT
>>Wouldn't be against it, but it's not like people wouldn't smash/thump someone being OOC, anyway.

Yeah, and it's not precisely a super meaningful change on our end either, but it's an important... I donno, for purposes of the side effects it'd have.

If it's an IC tool and strictly an IC tool, no strings attached, we can interact with it a bit differently than if it's meant to serve as an ooc-bridge. Plus I'm the sort of person that likes my IC/OOC interactions as cleanly split apart as I can.

-Armifer
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 03:19 PM CDT

Agreed with making it more group oriented. Classic thump requires one to be in the same room with someone and is immediately open to any retribution (I liken it to someone walking up to you and punching you in the face.) and therefore I'm fine with that being a solo affair (it makes sense). However, gweth-thump can be done from anywhere and the offending issue is broadcast to nearly everyone in the game (the game's commons if it were) thus any punishment should be decided upon and meted out by all gweth users.
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 03:27 PM CDT

Yeah pretty much the last thing I want is the additional scroll of a constant '<Person> wants <other person> to be gweth thumped! Vote now!'
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 03:32 PM CDT
>>If it's an IC tool and strictly an IC tool, no strings attached, we can interact with it a bit differently than if it's meant to serve as an ooc-bridge. Plus I'm the sort of person that likes my IC/OOC interactions as cleanly split apart as I can.

I'm all for Smashers simply being an IC 'okay, you hush now' tool. 90+% of the time I've used thump/smashers, that's its use for me, anywho.

Samsaren
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 03:43 PM CDT
I also liked the view of "mob rule" for public forums, where if person A is being a jerk and person B gweth-thumps, the downtime is 10 minutes. Downtime ends, person A resumes being a jerk, then person C gweth-thumps and the downtime is 15 minutes. And repeat until a thump is capped at 30 minutes.

In the end, I do agree that if someone is being "wrong" on the gweths (IC or not), then it's not just one person who will be reaching that conclusion. I think that's a reasonable safeguard of ensuring someone having to be quiet for an extended period of time is less the result of a personal grudge (IC or otherwise) and more a conclusion of someone's behavior.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 03:58 PM CDT

Hm, I also like this idea. But the initial thump should be 5 minutes and that person will not be allowed to thump that person again for 24 hours. The thumpee will carry a 24 hour debuff where another thump will add double the minutes and the next quadruple the minutes and so forth and so on. Thumps do not degrade and must be worn off.
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 04:30 PM CDT
I'm opposed to reducing duration that sharply. I'm fine with increasing duration with subsequent thumps but not making the initial be any less than 30 minutes at a bare minimum. That's barely enough time for someone to cool down and move on.

I also still think charges getting burned off a gweth is fine.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 04:36 PM CDT
>for someone with less then 16 circles it would be near impossible (and in fact, actually impossible, strictly going by bank account limitations) to purchase gweths.

As of 2016-April-03, according to Isharon's trader shop list, there were 94 gweths of various types on sale. 30 of those cost 5 plat or less. If I expand it to 9 plat (there are no 10 plat entries) that number jumps to 55.

I'd appreciate a universal listen function, and the Gweths enable the active speaking part. Gweth thump then dismantles the ability to project thoughts, but does not remove the person from the community entirely, which is silly.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 04:42 PM CDT
I think allowing listening while thumped/smashed is reasonable. It'll require some fiddling but it shouldn't be an issue in theory.

Universality of it is a bit harder. To be honest I've talked with a few GMs about the possibility of ditching gweths entirely and making the telepathic network just a thing people have access to (and before anyone screams, there would be an IC rationale behind it). But I'm unwilling to commit to that level of rewrite in the near-term future when I have a few other critical projects on my plate.

-Armifer
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 05:04 PM CDT

Or just ditch gweths entirely. And that's it. But, that's my personal opinion on the matter.

Again, I think the current sweet spot is Gweth Thump but with an initial "warning thump" of 5 minutes and escalating thump thereafter... 30 minutes (2nd thump in 24 hour period), 60 minutes (3rd), 2 hours (4th), 4 hours (5th)... all stackable without any limitations to time in terms of consecutive thumps by unique players. (so 10 unique players could thump another person for a whopping 128 hours.) Listening will not be hindered as per any thump.

Still like the idea of a mentor/GM being able to thump players for being OOC (or even IC but exceptionally disruptive), after all, how would people stop a circle 200 spamming something annoying/offensive/or just blatantly OOC?
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 05:27 PM CDT
>>Universality of it is a bit harder. To be honest I've talked with a few GMs about the possibility of ditching gweths entirely and making the telepathic network just a thing people have access to (and before anyone screams, there would be an IC rationale behind it). But I'm unwilling to commit to that level of rewrite in the near-term future when I have a few other critical projects on my plate.

If/When a gweth rewrite can be slated, I'd love to see this along with multiple channels/etc.

Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 05:40 PM CDT

Wondering if the chatter code can be cannibalized to make this.
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 06:05 PM CDT

I'm opposed to ditching gweths entirely. It's one of the few consumables in this game, and it's what makes the amazing museum heists "worth" doing in a world where thievery has virtually no other practical use.

Can't we all just be adults, let the existing harassment policies do their job, and move on?
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 06:12 PM CDT
>>I'm opposed to ditching gweths entirely. It's one of the few consumables in this game, and it's what makes the amazing museum heists "worth" doing in a world where thievery has virtually no other practical use.

IMO, that's a bigger issue with thievery than gweths.

>>Can't we all just be adults, let the existing harassment policies do their job, and move on?

Part of the problem is that current policies don't really address this kind of stuff. "Because I don't like you [the player] and/or your event" is currently an okay reason to smash a gweth.

Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 06:14 PM CDT

I'm just going to chime in here again because everyone else seems to think repeating themselves like a cuckoo clock will make them more right.

I vehemently oppose the idea of reducing the duration of the smash/thump or whatever you decide to change it to. It's already too short vs the cool down of the smash itself. To make it any lower makes it a completely useless tool. If anything make it higher especially if more doodads are being attached to it like no smashing for OOC or allowing listening. I also believe if it's strictly for ic then it DEFINTELY should lock the smasher open. Back your actions up or don't play policeman.
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 06:14 PM CDT
>>Can't we all just be adults, let the existing harassment policies do their job, and move on?

I'd have a lot more time to write spells if this were the case.

-Armifer
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 06:26 PM CDT
>>DR-Armifer: I'm wondering how effective it'd be if we remove the "to police OOC" from gweth thump, smash, and regular thump, and just make it strictly an IC tool. OOC disruption on the gweths would return to being moderated by the GMs.

>>DR-Armifer: If it's an IC tool and strictly an IC tool, no strings attached, we can interact with it a bit differently than if it's meant to serve as an ooc-bridge. Plus I'm the sort of person that likes my IC/OOC interactions as cleanly split apart as I can.

I would strongly favor that. Putting ordinary players in a position to enforce game policy (especially via IC tools) is problematic for several reasons.

Of course, in order for that to be a viable proposal, the GM moderation would have to be more frequent and more consistent. Right now, either as a result of manpower or a deliberate policy decision, only the most egregious instances of OOC result in GM attention. Even in those cases, given that the same people keep engaging in the same behavior, that attention doesn't seem to be very effective.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

sortable list of all Trader-owned shops and inventory: http://www.elanthia.org/TraderShops/

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 08:17 PM CDT

>>>> Universality of it is a bit harder. To be honest I've talked with a few GMs about the possibility of ditching gweths entirely and making the telepathic network just a thing people have access to

Have you considered just removing the charges from gweths and making them permanent? It would preserve our current lore but effectively give permanent universal access (gweth prices will plummet without the constant removal of charges)
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 08:21 PM CDT
>>Have you considered just removing the charges from gweths and making them permanent?

Sure, but if I was rewriting the telepathy system anyways, why keep a legacy item that is so unsightly that we invented a secondary system just to hide them (which, admittedly, grew from there)?

-Armifer
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 08:45 PM CDT
>>>> Sure, but if I was rewriting the telepathy system anyways, why keep a legacy item

That is a good point. I was thinking that removing the charges would be a simple stopgap measure that might even avoid the need for a rewrite.
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 09:51 PM CDT

Gweth-Thump will still need to be implemented if gweths became permanent and non-destroyable.

Also, I propose Gweths and crystal rings being smashable via Barbarian roar only.
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 11:01 PM CDT
>> Of course, in order for that to be a viable proposal, the GM moderation would have to be more frequent and more consistent. Right now, either as a result of manpower or a deliberate policy decision, only the most egregious instances of OOC result in GM attention. Even in those cases, given that the same people keep engaging in the same behavior, that attention doesn't seem to be very effective.

That's why these powers should be given to vetted members of the community, honestly, along with decoupling actual smashers or a thump function from OOC policy or RP enforcement. Most Mentors would be well enough suited for it, GHs, board mods, and perhaps community leaders or another selected group of people that can be trusted with the power to shut down people using the gweth to break policy and immersion.

It'd be anonymous to the recipient but well-documented on the back-end, maybe with an automatic capture of the last few gweths and a requirement for an explanation to be put in by the person doing it. Obviously if you abuse it you are deep in the cacky, but documentation with regular GM review should minimize or eliminate abuse.

Thayet

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 11:45 PM CDT
I disagree entirely with the concept of putting that kind of power in the hands of any "responsible parties" or "vetted members of the community."

Humans are gonna human. At the end of the day we all have different backgrounds which shape our opinions, alliances, tolerance to certain types of behavior, and so on. While GM's are technically in charge of moderating the overall gaming environment, it's important to remember that they've all come from the same playerbase, and that they are not exactly immune from making bad decisions themselves. I'd prefer to not fool ourselves into thinking that righteous judgement is something any of us are capable of possessing individually, and rather that the community as a whole is able to dictate what is unacceptable.

If there's a specific HLC out there that's abusing gwethsmashing just because they can, chances are what goes around will come around. It's a small pond, but there's always a bigger fish.

>befriend clear all
You are now friendless.
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/16/2016 11:57 PM CDT
>> I disagree entirely with the concept of putting that kind of power in the hands of any "responsible parties" or "vetted members of the community."

You're right, CE GMs were a mistake. The Fallen for all!

Thayet

Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/17/2016 12:24 AM CDT
I'm of the opinion that such designations are superficial, but you're free to disagree.

TF, despite some foul language, is supposedly a more welcoming and hospitable community than prime these days.

>befriend clear all
You are now friendless.
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/17/2016 12:36 AM CDT
You're right about TF's community from everything I've heard, but CE GMs are literally that exact thing -- vetted members of the community. If you have a basic problem with members of the community being given powers to shape, influence, and police the community, that ship sailed about twenty years ago.

Thayet

Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/17/2016 12:44 AM CDT
>If you have a basic problem with members of the community being given powers to shape, influence, and police the community, that ship sailed about twenty years ago.

Quite the contrary, I'm asserting that the community is already capable of such, and that those privileges should be available to all members of that community.

>befriend clear all
You are now friendless.
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/17/2016 12:53 AM CDT
>>Quite the contrary, I'm asserting that the community is already capable of such, and that those privileges should be available to all members of that community.

If the community in its entirety was capable of acting in a capable and mature manner, this thread (and every PvP thread) wouldn't exist.

Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/17/2016 01:42 AM CDT

>>If the community in its entirety was capable of acting in a capable and mature manner, this thread (and every PvP thread) wouldn't exist.

I agree wholeheartedly. People need tougher skin.
Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/17/2016 01:58 AM CDT
I don't think tougher skin is the issue so much as DR players on the whole lacking respect for each other on a very basic level.

Very rarely is mutual enjoyment on anyone's mind when it comes to conflicts within the game, and unless and until that changes the community will continue being the toxic garbage fire it has been for as long as I can remember.

Thayet

Re: Gwethsmasher abuse 04/17/2016 02:31 AM CDT
>If the community in its entirety was capable of acting in a capable and mature manner, this thread (and every PvP thread) wouldn't exist.

I'm not so sure that these forums paint an accurate portrait of the actual gaming environment at times.

>toxic garbage fire

Case in point.

>befriend clear all
You are now friendless.