Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 02:39 PM CDT
>>What about auction ones with unlimited uses?

Under this plan, all gwethsmashers would continue to function, there would simply be no more player-created ones entering the system. Gwethsmash auction items are still possible, albeit I am unsure how wise.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 02:45 PM CDT
I kind of think there's a certain symmetry to gwethsmashers as devices existing, but I could go either way. My ideas:

1. Block broadcasting, but allow listening. You can still hear what's going on and all that, you just can't participate in the conversation anymore.
2. Increase the time to 2-4 hours or more.
3. Reduce the amount of time albredine is shut down to ~10 minutes.
4. Change the timer on smashing/thumping to apply to the target, not the enforcer. I can smash/thump Bob and Jane back to back, but I can't smash/thump Jane twice in a row in one 24 hour period. Make it mechanics abuse to use alts to get around this.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 02:46 PM CDT
>>...let's assume for a moment we actually do move to a "gweth thump" model. What kind of silence period do you think is appropriate?

Gweth shutdown comparable to thump and a smash cooldown comparable to thumping someone.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 02:54 PM CDT
please dont shut off new gwethsmasher production that would seriously be a shame.

Lets leave it alone!

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 02:57 PM CDT
Oh neat somebody got their feelings hurt so now we should probably change the game and stuff. Neat.

>befriend clear all
You are now friendless.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 03:01 PM CDT
I like that DR players are so used to kneejerk whining that they're missing the subtext that this will make silencing people on the gweth easier and more common, not less.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 03:02 PM CDT
I prefer to break gweths completely, thanks.

>befriend clear all
You are now friendless.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 03:16 PM CDT

So, because I smashed someone that made a comment that my necro...let me say that again...necro didn't like, we have to change everything? I don't agree with that. Having a moonmage as well that makes gweths and gwethsmashers, it would be fruitless to change the system. I get gwethsmashed just like other people do, live with it, it happens. I wait an hour, get more gweths and move on. It was not something done to be malicious, it was because of the comment that was made when I was trying to sell something to make coin. I live with my actions every time I gweth and get smashed or rp and get killed or for just walking into town. It's not something I use just to pick on people and even those that smash often, I am sure they have rp reasons to do so. Remember you are playing an rp game. You have other ways of getting retaliation if you can't handle me yourself. I'm not one to shy away from conflict, but I do know how to run fast.

So please for the love of everything that is unholy, do not change the way gwethsmashers work.

Z
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 03:16 PM CDT
> 1. Block broadcasting, but allow listening. You can still hear what's going on and all that, you just can't participate in the conversation anymore.

This. Yes, please. Please?

~Aislynn
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 03:26 PM CDT
Bear in mind that I am planning to make it cheaper and more accessible, not harder, to silence people on the gweth. However, if your priority has been "let's screw up someone's equipment!" rather than "let's silence undesirable speech on the gweth," you are likely not a good spokesman for changing my mind.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 03:32 PM CDT

My priority is not to screw up someone's equipment, it's to shut them up. Just like I get shut up, or Fahijeck get's shut up or Jessalyne or any number of us that can get under people's skin. But on the other hand as I said, I have a moonmage that makes and sells smashers and gweths. You take away the ability to break things you take away the ability to make more and sell. I'm not saying it's not a pain in the ass to have your stuff broke, especially when you're half way across the realms or in Zehira's case, you can't go shop for more gweths when time is up. So take the balance of taking an ability away fom a guild that, let's face it, doesn't have much in it's favor right now, to merely silencing the annoyance and you'll have moonmages in uproar that make gweths for smashed people and make and sell smashers as a way of earning coin. Just tossing that out.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 03:34 PM CDT
personally, i like the idea of adding it to thump.. really dislike the idea of taking smashers out tho. they have a niche (wether you like them or not)

4 people raging on the forums in my opinion isnt enough to warrant phasing them out.

you essentially use charges (up to ten) on something that has a cooldown of 7 days to make, to break something that can have 1 to how.ever.many charges that one can make in about a minute, any time. (and im ok with that)

Its a system that is flagged on gm side everytime (there words not mine) and sofar (up to last week or so?) its been said that sofar nothing thats been smashed to date has really been anything to look further into because of it. (thats a pretty good run in my eyes since they have been around for how long?)

if someone abused it- slap said persons hand.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 03:35 PM CDT
> 1. Block broadcasting, but allow listening. You can still hear what's going on and all that, you just can't participate in the conversation anymore.

Big fan of this.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 03:40 PM CDT
>>So, because I smashed someone that made a comment that my necro...let me say that again...necro didn't like, we have to change everything?

Only if you ignore the months/years of other things that also contributed to this decision.

>>So please for the love of everything that is unholy, do not change the way gwethsmashers work.

Similar to how if thumping someone caused their head armor to explode, they're just reassessing how much damage a gwethsmash should produce in addition to the shuush itself. In other words, the primary effect – shutting someone up – is not going away.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 03:46 PM CDT
>>I also give out RPAs when people handle it decently and roleplay it out without flying off the handle and going even more OOC.

What a waste of RPA. I guess if you are into a little slap and tickle?

>>Yes, my first thought is just to outmode gwethsmashers entirely and make this a THUMP verb addition. Everyone gets it. No sense buying a rare enchanted item just to thump someone.

>>Talking more about it behind the scenes, what I'll probably do (not promising it's certain yet, but where I'm leaning towards) is shutting off new gwethsmasher production, but letting existing gwethsmashers remain gwethsmashers that will either get used up without replacement or start gathering dust in vaults.

Let's not get carried away here. While I think smashing and using gweth are both not important, and quite frankly its more enjoyable to not use them if you want immersion...I just don't see why Enchanting has to be affected. For my fellow moon mages making coin from selling them, its rather absurd to cast out one of the last remaining enchants people are seeking. It could even affect the sales of gweth.

This is just silly. I can't believe its going so far.

>>I mean, the complaining will never end, but that doesn't by itself mean that there isn't a nugget of concern there. That the anti-gwethsmashing crowd on the forums have yet to find a good example doesn't mean there isn't, or won't be, an example of abuse that we can cut off early.

I gave advice before I wish people would just take instead of complaining about being smashed. ITS NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL! You aren't missing out on anything really. Just deal and get a new set and be more careful if you MUST use the gweth channel...

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 03:47 PM CDT

I wouldn't know the years of other things that contribute to this decision which I think hasn't been made yet. I've only been playing this game three years and over two of it was just with Aay. What it is, is a few people that are whining because they got gwethsmashed, let them whine, let them eat cake. I don't think that taking away gwethsmashers is going to be the answer. People would still whine if they got silenced in any way.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 03:55 PM CDT
>>What it is, is a few people that are whining because they got gwethsmashed, let them whine, let them eat cake. I don't think that taking away gwethsmashers is going to be the answer. People would still whine if they got silenced in any way.

Wondering how many people are going to gloss over Armifer saying "everyone is going to get to gweth-thump, even without a magical device with limited charges."

Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 04:01 PM CDT

Big picture, huge, big, big. Gweth smash, gweth thump, silenced by someone else because of something you did or said, it will not matter if it's done by a magical device or a thump. People are going to whine. It's in the nature of the beast. I was small once, not saying I am huge now but comfortable in where I am. I died, I was beat up, I was smashed. I didn't whine. I dealt with it. It is going to happen in a rp setting. So the whiners are gonna whine. The reporters will start reporting for thumping instead of smashing. They will warn harass and warn interact. It is a vicious circle.

Z

I will always be a monster, but what type of monster I become is entirely up to me.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 04:04 PM CDT
> I just don't see why Enchanting has to be affected

I just want to point out that Enchanting will eventually be effected anyways. It as a moon mage only system is going away and I wonder how many people against this (who I note are moon mages) would care as soon as it is out of their wheelhouse.

The issue isn't nearly as much as "Booo hoo someone got their feelings hurt over a smash" but more about the idea of items and permanence. Remember that when gweth making was first started charges were pretty low compared to what many people can get now, so it isn't absurd to re-evaluate the system overall.

If there is any major takeaway I've seen about the necromancer guild and the evolution from the day it opened to right now, it is that people go insane when there is a chance for item loss. Necromancers were supposed to basically survive off what they could find but the uproar over the years has basically shown that people just can't accept that as a reality so the GMs had to re-evaluate it all and have given numerous tools to prevent that from occurring now. If a necromancer or anyone can bond a weapon, doesn't that cut into the profits that a weapon forger can make? I mean one gweth often sells for as much as a steel weapon and lasts almost infinitely longer. So who should be crying about profits?
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 04:07 PM CDT
<<I just want to point out that Enchanting will eventually be effected anyways. It as a moon mage only system is going away and I wonder how many people against this (who I note are moon mages) would care as soon as it is out of their wheelhouse.

I just want to point out that moon mage enchantments are still going to be a thing in 3.0 enchanting including moon mage only enchantments such as guides, gweths, and smashers. Last Armifer touched on this the guides were almost definitely moon mage only and he didn't know which way he would go with the others.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 04:07 PM CDT
I have to also point out the obvious truth of the matter. Even if people don't like Zehira, Fahijeck etc, the world needs villains too. Don't be surprised when you poke at one of said archetypes and get burned. You wouldn't reach into a hornets nest and act shocked when you get stung, you wouldn't act shocked if you kicked a wild bear in the behind when it turned around and mauled you. Just accept that we need duality in the realms to make sense of everything. For everyone who is new to game and doesn't think its fair, just remember that the game isn't designed to be fair. Its just like real life in that aspect.

I remember the days of Caelumia quite well terrorizing novices for blowing laughing boxes from louts. And even though I absolutely hated her when I was a novice, eventually I realized after she was gone, that she did in fact serve a purpose. Duality is the way we derive meaning. Don't make this change to smashers just for the fact it maintains balance. There are actually alot more do gooders in the realms, and its really lame to punish those who chose to be different. Its just a game.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 04:09 PM CDT
My two cents: Gwethsmashers acting the same towards 30-charge gweths as they do toward 3-charge gweths? Ridiculous. Totally in favor of that changing in some way.

Would I care if it all just changed to the proposed THUMP GWETH style? Yeah, I'm fine with that. Have the THUMP be sure to still set you to PvP open if you're not.

This even coming from someone who plays a moon mage who makes gwethsmashers. An appeal to tradition of "but it's one of the few things that moon mages can do with enchanting anymore!!" isn't particularly moving considering that Enchanting via Crafting 3.0 is likely to change that when it finally comes down the pike in the (hopefully) not too distant future.

Making outgoing gweth thought policing more egalitarian instead of highly concentrated in those who are rich or have pocket/alt moon mages has my vote.

>For some reason you just can't stop thinking about glarmencouplers.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 04:10 PM CDT
<<Even if people don't like Zehira, Fahijeck etc, in spite of them the world needs well played villains too.

ftfy

<<Caelumia

Caelumia was invested in the lore and RP. The others you have listed are not.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 04:11 PM CDT
>>I just want to point out that moon mage enchantments are still going to be a thing in 3.0 enchanting including moon mage only enchantments such as guides, gweths, and smashers. Last Armifer touched on this the guides were almost definitely moon mage only and he didn't know which way he would go with the others.

It's a tricky issue. We don't wish to open up guild-specific recipes until we can open up a bunch of them at once. But at the same time there are existing recipes that are very much part of one guild's wheelhouse and I'm not willing to open them up. Solutions have not been forthcoming.

The longer things go on, though, the less I care about the Moon Mage monopoly on gwethdesuans, both from an in-game economics and from a lore standpoint. Guides I'm standing my ground on, however.

-Armifer
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 04:14 PM CDT

Well said my dear. The world does need villains and while I never meant to be one, I just happened to be drawn that way. If you believe that then I have some swamp land to sell you in the desert. He is right, I am not sure why anyone is surprised. I don't hide who I am, I don't hide the way that Zehira maintains her behavior. She is fun, she is crazy, she is my outlet, just like others have their characters. So as Aerathor said, poke the bear prepare to be bitten.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 04:19 PM CDT

You have no idea how invested I am. Do you know me personally? No you do not. Are you someone that got smashed or killed and is making assumptions now? You know that is said about people that assume right? I am very invested in everything that I do, otherwise I wouldn't do it.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 04:19 PM CDT
>>But at the same time there are existing recipes that are very much part of one guild's wheelhouse and I'm not willing to open them up.

I don't think anyone in the guild thinks the new enchanting system will be bad thing. I'm sure most are anxious for it to come out. If it is possible to retain some enchants to be trademarked to the moon mage guild however, gweths and smashers should be on the list IMHO

Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 04:28 PM CDT
>>Big picture, huge, big, big. Gweth smash, gweth thump, silenced by someone else because of something you did or said, it will not matter if it's done by a magical device or a thump. People are going to whine.

That's why it's not going away, but changing in a way that is more on-par with how thumping itself works.

The fact that people complain about being smashed (and thumped) is unrelated to the fact that smashing right now seems too penalizing and destructive compared to thump.

Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 04:28 PM CDT
I vote that if this is to happen, that MM now make gweth thumpers instead of smashers. I don't see why just anybody should be able to mentally thump somebody.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 04:35 PM CDT
<<Even if people don't like Zehira, Fahijeck etc, in spite of them the world needs well played villains too.
>>ftfy
>>Caelumia was invested in the lore and RP. The others you have listed are not.

Just because you don't like someone isn't reason to say what you think and assume like its a fact. Caelumia wasn't any different. She was all over the place with her motives and role played a racist.

>>I vote that if this is to happen, that MM now make gweth thumpers instead of smashers. I don't see why just anybody should be able to mentally thump somebody.

This.

Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 04:46 PM CDT
I am saddened by the lack of call to change THUMP to a brawling combat maneuver.

-Armifer
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 04:50 PM CDT
>I am saddened by the lack of call to change THUMP to a brawling combat maneuver.

I'm saddened by a lot of things in this game.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 04:52 PM CDT
<<Just because you don't like someone isn't reason to say what you think and assume like its a fact. Caelumia wasn't any different. She was all over the place with her motives and role played a racist.

Do you even read what you write?
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 04:52 PM CDT
>>DR-Armifer: ...let's assume for a moment we actually do move to a "gweth thump" model. What kind of silence period do you think is appropriate?

Somewhere in the range of 1-4 hours.

>>DR-Armifer: Along with that adding a new THUMP GWETH option that allows for the gweth thump w/o any extrenous items necessary to use it.

I like this.

I would have the THUMP GWETH option affect only gweths and not albredine rings.

Will the new THUMP GWETH option fall under the same PvP policy as the current thump, which does not lock you open? I think, given that you are no longer destroying someone's items, there is a good argument keeping it consistent with the current thump. Consider also that one of the most common reasons for gwethsmashing is to silence someone who is making OOC comments, and it is very awkward to answer ICly for that. (Unfortunately, players feel like the duty to enforce gweth OOC falls on them, since GMs either can't or won't enforce it 24/7, and whatever warnings players are getting don't seem to have much of an effect on the behavior.)

I also like these suggestions by Thayet, though I admit I am more ambivalent about whether the target should be able to listen:

>>1. Block broadcasting, but allow listening. You can still hear what's going on and all that, you just can't participate in the conversation anymore.
>>4. Change the timer on smashing/thumping to apply to the target, not the enforcer. I can smash/thump Bob and Jane back to back, but I can't smash/thump Jane twice in a row in one 24 hour period. Make it mechanics abuse to use alts to get around this.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

sortable list of all Trader-owned shops and inventory: http://www.elanthia.org/TraderShops/

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 04:54 PM CDT
>>Will the new THUMP GWETH option fall under the same PvP policy as the current thump, which does not lock you open? I think, given that you are no longer destroying someone's items, there is a good argument keeping it consistent with the current thump.

That's a touchy issue that I'm, for once, not willing to opine on until I have a 100% answer on.

-Armifer
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 05:02 PM CDT
>>I would have the THUMP GWETH option affect only gweths and not albredine rings.

IMO, no for color rings, yes for crystal rings. I can see thumping someone for whispering something dumb, and the crystal rings are just gweth-whispers.

Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 05:02 PM CDT

>>That's a touchy issue that I'm, for once, not willing to opine on until I have a 100% answer on.

Not a fan of changing the policy on smashing, personally.

I am less of a fan of it not disabling albredine rings. Whats to stop someone you "thumped" from just whining at you directly via ring? You would have little recourse beyond removing the ring. I think it needs to silence all avenues of thought projection, personally.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 05:08 PM CDT
If the major argument against having a gwethsmasher "item" is that moonies will lose money, what about letting moon mages create some sort of gwethsmash counter item? As in, a gweth shield? Some sort of doohicky that uses up a charge to "absorb" a gwethsmash attempt (or adds a bonus to resist)? Would likely appeal to an even larger market.

Is just a thought. Rip away. :)

~Aislynn
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 05:17 PM CDT
>>Is just a thought. Rip away. :)

I'll be honest, I'm pretty cold on Moon Mage Economics right now. We've opened up every other guild's niche to public consumption, the only reason I've been even the tiniest bit hesitant to do the same for enchanting is Lorez reasons. I do not possess a backdoor scheme to keep Moon Mages in a profitable niche, I am simply worried about where I'm drawing the lines on thematic issues.

The monopoly likely isn't going to survive anyways. Enjoy it while it's there, but prepare for terrible equality.

-Armifer
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 05:20 PM CDT
I don't mind it being opened up since I can still sell them and make a profit, but if smashing becomes item-less then there's no profit for anyone at all.