Prev_page Previous 1
gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 03:11 AM CST
If the GMs are going to let people police the gweths they really should be trained in what is and is not an appropriate use.

Its farily simple to figure out

"Am I smashing this person for the good of the realms?"

Example: Blatant repedative OOC chatter, cursing/cussing, things that specifically break policy

if the answer is yes then sure smash away.

"Am I smashing this person for personal gain"

Example: they insulted me, they don't share my view point, they said something I thought was stupid?

if the answer is Yes, then its not a reason to use a gweth smasher, you're just being a snert.

If your reason for smashing someone ever includes I my or me you probably shouldn't be smashing anyones gweths

As far as it being "contested" that's a complete scapegoat, no its not circle based but someone who is 50th circle vs someone who is 15th circle is still going to have better stats simply because they have more TDPs to spend. Further more, generally only higher circle characters are going to have gweth smashers due to their expense. This leaves lower level character to be without any type of reasonable recourse to the situation. Its currently the equivalent of taking someone's <insert pricey item here> and telling them if they can jump this 100 yard wide canyon on foot they can have it back. Doesn't matter how much of a running start you get... its never going to happen.

/wasn't who got smashed
//still thinks its bull crap
///flame on
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 03:22 AM CST
Are you Azatia or Anjalie?

Rev. Reene

Your mind hears Aislynn thinking, "Hrrr. Just not Caelumia. She creates multi-dimensional pain that defies the laws of anatomy."
Your mind hears Azatia thinking, "she's good like that"
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 03:59 AM CST
Neither, why?
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 04:36 AM CST
Yep this is a dead horse that should be left in its grave and buried deep.

You can smash someone for any reason period! You may think this is crap while there are those of us that think it is wonderful. I will smash with the same verocity as I always have and when and If I want your moral opinions I shall ask you. Ohh have some spine and sign your posts, I have a distaste for cowardly posts.

Carry on...

Miv
I would rather have an intelligent enemy than a stupid friend.
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 06:56 AM CST
Must admit... I love being the guy selling gweths AND gwethsmashers.

I feel like such an arms dealer.

Dartenian says, "The thing that makes Dragon Dance king is that it pretty much bonuses every single that can possibly be buffed for combat. Including at least two things that don't even exist."
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 09:09 AM CST
And gwethsmashing should automatically set your profile to open.
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 09:48 AM CST
>>And gwethsmashing should automatically set your profile to open.

Oooo... please no! That's too harsh!

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 10:21 AM CST
News 2 26.

Just like thump, these can be used for any or no reason.
I think smashing setting the person open is already in the cards.
>>vinjince
Tee hee.
It is also useful to mention that the smasher will rarely know the skills/level/combats of the Smashee. You might get the Barbarian with low mentals and freakish combats who will then come smash your face in retaliation. There's always a risk involved. It is not as if the smasher twirls his mustachio thinking "Bwua ha ha ha! That person is only 9th circle! They'll never be able to touch me!"
-- Player of Szrael --

The road to wisdom? -- Well, it's plain
and simple to express:
Err, and err, and err again,
but less, and less, and less.
http://empathunion.com
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 10:42 AM CST
Gweth smashing is great.

Giving out personal information is weird.
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 10:53 AM CST
>>yes I know what the rules are. I'm stating I think the rules should be changed.

Then might I suggest you post clear, well reasoned arguments in support of why you think it should be changed? Instead of the seemingly pointless drivel that is easily mistaken as QQ, as all your previos posts have been?

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 10:56 AM CST
>"Am I smashing this person for personal gain"

>Example: they insulted me, they don't share my view point, they said something I thought was stupid?

>if the answer is Yes, then its not a reason to use a gweth smasher, you're just being a snert.

It's not that black and white in my opinion. Some characters have been developed to not put up with insults over the gweth or in person and smashing them would be appropriate for them to do so. In fact if they didn't it would probably be breaking character for them.

You used the term personal gain and that makes me wonder if you are referring to character personal gain or player personal gain. You might do better to see things as a RPing opportunity. I realize it is easy to slip into the thought pattern of taking things personally but we really should be focusing on what our characters would do. Some might argue that people who smash are just trying to instigate conflict. You shouldn't forget conflict brings an opportunity to RP.

Without knowing the circumstances in which sparked you to write this post it is difficult to make a call on it. In any case.. so what if it was what you termed "snerty" behavior? It doesn't mean the player can't grasp the opportunity to RP it out.

All this has been said in the past and no doubt this thread will be moved to the dead horse folder.

Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 11:02 AM CST
You'll have to pardon me for my lack of knowledge, what does QQ mean?
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 11:04 AM CST
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=QQ

Dartenian says, "The thing that makes Dragon Dance king is that it pretty much bonuses every single that can possibly be buffed for combat. Including at least two things that don't even exist."
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 11:14 AM CST
ah ok thanks I've only been gaming for a month so yes I am a newb. I don't know how much more percise I can be with this. I guess I could make a power point slide if you need visual aid?

I think gweth smashers should only be used to deal with OOC situations and policy break situations on the gweths. this include talking about running to mcdonalds, the local sports teams, emoticons and language that breaks policy such as cursing cussing and generally fowl language.

that is all, did you keep up that time? shall I link to the power point next post?

/Kristen
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 11:17 AM CST
I'd like a power point presentation on this, yes.

Also the policy is what is is because, as has been stated by GMs in the past, the alternative was worse (Because the way things were before this policy was unacceptable). Thus don't expect this to gain a lot of traction.

Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 11:18 AM CST
Maybe come back when you've been "gaming" for more than a month, yes? With opinions backed by actual experience? And maybe realize that posts get a lot better reception when making concise points in a friendly, open minded manner? Maybe less condescension too?

Aside from that, welcome to the internet I guess.

-=Issus=-
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 11:46 AM CST
>>And gwethsmashing should automatically set your profile to open.

I agree, actually. But I also think PC theft, offensive spell casting, and a number of social verbs (SLAP, etc.) should do it too. Essentially, any consent-granting action that we can quantify.

I'm 100% behind the idea that if you instigate a hostile scene among players, either practically or implicitly, you should be forced to pay the piper. People who want to be -PvP should be required to act the part.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 11:48 AM CST
thanks happy to be here. and I started this post with genuine interest to help. It was everyone else who started making snide jibs about cowardice and go cry in your milk newb. I think I'm starting to see what the issues are with this realm and that this is not actually an outlet to use if you want anything more than to be told you're stupid so shut up and go home. Good to know.

/I'm out
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 11:50 AM CST
>>I agree, actually. But I also think PC theft, offensive spell casting, and a number of social verbs (SLAP, etc.) should do it too. Essentially, any consent-granting action that we can quantify.

I'm with you all the way man. I'll buy you a year's worth of booze too if you can get it done.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 01:02 PM CST
I'll chip in. Completely agree and think it would make the game a better place.

>>I'm constantly amazed by the things that people do in game that would get them punched in the face in RL, but then they try to claim that they didn't do anything that would warrent a PvP situation.<<
-Evran
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 01:10 PM CST
>>I'll chip in. Completely agree and think it would make the game a better place.

Also, give barbs the ability to smash.

Crusader Taghz

DFA = DISC + AGIL + TM > Evasion + Reflex

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 01:15 PM CST
Honestly barbs can use gweths, they should be able to use gweth smashers.

As long as they buy them from me.

Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 01:39 PM CST
I am not willing to speculate any further on magic-using Barbarians until after their own guild systems receive some attention. In the current state of the game, that, too, is dead horse material.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 01:44 PM CST
>I agree, actually. But I also think PC theft, offensive spell casting, and a number of social verbs (SLAP, etc.) should do it too. Essentially, any consent-granting action that we can quantify.

I agree with bumping Closed to Guarded, but why Open? None of those things contradict the Guarded option as written.
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 02:25 PM CST
>>I agree with bumping Closed to Guarded, but why Open?

Because its an attack on someone. Some of just see an attack on our property just as much a violation as an attack on our body. What you are doing basically says about you, 'I'm going to do something against your character without needing any reason for doing so.' That is open, not guarded.
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 02:27 PM CST
>>I think gweth smashers should only be used to deal with OOC situations and policy break situations on the gweths. this include talking about running to mcdonalds, the local sports teams, emoticons and language that breaks policy such as cursing cussing and generally fowl language.

That's an opinion, not a (logical) argument. It is perfectly fine as the START of an argument. It is however missing the supporting premises that would qualify it as an argument (for changing Smasher policy).

>>that is all, did you keep up that time? shall I link to the power point next post?

Let me know when you post an actual argument with supportive statements, rather than just opinions? Since you seem to be possibly confused as to what an argument is, allow me to help:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=argument&l=0

As an aside, one of your posts did actually contain an (incorrect) premise that was pushing you towards constructing an argument. Paraphrased: Thumping doesn't cost the thumpee anything other than time, smashing does cost the smashee something (loss of tangible items, gweths.)

However, it [smashing] also has a cost to the smasher. The charge of a gwethsmasher it costs. Also there is a down time after smashing someone.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 02:30 PM CST
>>and I started this post with genuine interest to help.

>>It was everyone else who started making snide jibs about cowardice and go cry in your milk newb.

Mmmmmk. Maybe you should go back and read the OP? I mean I know you posted it, but you seem to be unclear as to what it actually says.

>>I think I'm starting to see what the issues are with this realm and that this is not actually an outlet to use if you want anything more than to be told you're stupid so shut up and go home. Good to know.

When you're acting stupid you're called stupid? What about that is counterintuitive?

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 02:31 PM CST
>>The charge of a gwethsmasher it costs

Yes, it costs more than a set of 5 charge jadeite and kyanite gweths. If the smasher fails, they also lose a charge on their own gweths.

-- Player of Szrael --

and simple to express:

Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 02:36 PM CST
>>I agree with bumping Closed to Guarded, but why Open? <<

1) You're should never be able to pick who you attack AND who can respond to your attack.

2) It would prevent policy playing by instituting a simple rule - "If you start or escalate trouble, you are responsible for all the consequences for a reasonable amount of time."

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 03:00 PM CST
>>I agree with bumping Closed to Guarded, but why Open?

If I must OOC whisper or find some other way to agree to a conflict before actually starting one with a Guarded person (as written in policy), why would they be allow to start a conflict without needing to do the same? Point is, the act of gwethsmashing or stealing from someone is Open behavior.

I have never heard of anyone asking the player of a character can they steal or gwethsmash their character before doing so. That is Guarded behavior.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 03:08 PM CST
I'm not in favor of anything that forces a change in PvP setting. The setting should never reflect anything other than the profiled player's preferences, in my opinion.

I don't see how an automated flag changing system would work anyhow. How would the system be able to track existing consent? Clearly, acting on consent already granted (attacking the thief you caught in your pocket, or anyone else who's actions gave consent via less trackable means for that matter) should never force you into an open setting that would allow attacks from previously uninvolved third parties.

If Bob gives Abe consent, then Bob should have to deal with Abe alone. Bob shouldn't be able to involve six of his closest friends just because Abe takes a justified shot at Bob and finds his PvP flag forced to open.
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 03:19 PM CST
Things like gwethsmashing, stealing, etc., are attacks. Gwethsmashing, IMO, is frequently worse than being killed.

It makes the game better for everyone if people who take such actions are open to repercussions from the entire community. Community policing is much more effective and results in much more civility than GM policing. Plus you know, roleplaying game.

>>If Bob gives Abe consent, then Bob should have to deal with Abe alone.

Why?

-- Player of Szrael --

and simple to express:

Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 03:19 PM CST
>>I don't see how an automated flag changing system would work anyhow. How would the system be able to track existing consent? <<

The system can already track who strikes first in any particular engagement. I imagine it would be possible to code the flag change to happen only when striking first.

>>If Bob gives Abe consent, then Bob should have to deal with Abe alone. Bob shouldn't be able to involve six of his closest friends just because Abe takes a justified shot at Bob and finds his PvP flag forced to open.<<

I don't agree with this as a principle. Bob should not be able to start a fight and then pick who gets to respond.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 03:24 PM CST
>>The setting should never reflect anything other than the profiled player's preferences, in my opinion.

And it would reflect the profiled player's preferences based off their actions. If you're set to Closed, then don't go around behaving as if you're Open. Be a Closed person.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 03:38 PM CST
<<And it would reflect the profiled player's preferences based off their actions. If you're set to Closed, then don't go around behaving as if you're Open. Be a Closed person.

Closed or guarded doesn't require abstaining from PvP. They require limiting PvP to the confines of policy.

Acting on consent granted you by another player does not in any way constitute 'behaving as if you're open', nor should doing so ever effectively grant consent to a third party. Ever.

The only time it would be reasonable to force a player's flag to open for PvP activity would be for initiating ... never for responding. However, the system can't track all means of granting consent and therefor would have no way of knowing whether any given attack was an initiation of conflict or a response to a consent granting provocation.
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 03:44 PM CST
>>Acting on consent granted you by another player does not in any way constitute 'behaving as if you're open', nor should doing so ever effectively grant consent to a third party. Ever.

When did anyone mention anything about responding? We're talking about initiating.

>>However, the system can't track all means of granting consent and therefor would have no way of knowing whether any given attack was an initiation of conflict or a response to a consent granting provocation.

Do you have access to the system and coding?

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 03:49 PM CST
>>However, the system can't track all means of granting consent and therefor would have no way of knowing whether any given attack was an initiation of conflict or a response to a consent granting provocation. <<

It can track a lot of them. Probably almost everything except a purely verbal argument.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 04:00 PM CST
<<When did anyone mention anything about responding?

How would the system know the difference? If Bob runs his mouth and through dialogue grants Abe consent, and Abe responds by burning a hole in Bob's head, how does the system know Abe was acting on consent and not engaging in the 'consent granting action that we can quantify' Armifer mentioned? Certainly, had Bob not been running his mouth then Abe would be initiating, but how does the system tell the difference?

<<Do you have access to the system and coding?

No. But one can grant consent by running ones mouth, and unless the system has any way of keeping track of dialogue originated consent, my statement is valid.
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 04:17 PM CST
>> I'll buy you a year's worth of booze too if you can get it done.

Armifer has so many people wanting to buy him liquor at this point that he could probably completely avoid sobriety for the rest of grad school.

Rev. Reene

Your mind hears Aislynn thinking, "Hrrr. Just not Caelumia. She creates multi-dimensional pain that defies the laws of anatomy."
Your mind hears Azatia thinking, "she's good like that"
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 04:24 PM CST
>>If Bob gives Abe consent, then Bob should have to deal with Abe alone. Bob shouldn't be able to involve six of his closest friends just because Abe takes a justified shot at Bob and finds his PvP flag forced to open.

The problem with this is that the big get to pick on the small. A Fifth grader can bully a third grader all he wants then. No way the third grader can do anything about it. You won't let his Seventh grade brother help out. The way you want it promotes bullying.

>>How would the system know the difference? If Bob runs his mouth and through dialogue grants Abe consent, and Abe responds by burning a hole in Bob's head, how does the system know Abe was acting on consent and not engaging in the 'consent granting action that we can quantify' Armifer mentioned? Certainly, had Bob not been running his mouth then Abe would be initiating, but how does the system tell the difference?

I understand what you are saying. How do you tell the difference between someone smashing because some gwethed 'kissie smoothie to all the Detroit Lions fans for winning the Superbowl.' and someone smashing because they just don't like the person and was having a bad day? Answer is you cannot.

The debate then becomes do you let people get away with bad behavior to protect those who are doing things for the right reason or do you punish the bad behavior and catch some of the innocents in the process? And for each type of action you can give reasons for both. From what I have experienced and seen, I rather the innocent suffer. If they really feel that something is really out of line there is still report. If they don't want to do that, then they are role-playing open and need to learn to deal with it.
Prev_page Previous 1