Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 04:30 PM CST
If I had to smash someone for being OOC on the gweths, I'd be more than happy to deal with being open for my next hour or so of gameplay.

It would be worth it.

>>I'm constantly amazed by the things that people do in game that would get them punched in the face in RL, but then they try to claim that they didn't do anything that would warrent a PvP situation.<<
-Evran
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 06:17 PM CST
>>How would the system know the difference? If Bob runs his mouth and through dialogue grants Abe consent, and Abe responds by burning a hole in Bob's head, how does the system know Abe was acting on consent and not engaging in the 'consent granting action that we can quantify' Armifer mentioned? Certainly, had Bob not been running his mouth then Abe would be initiating, but how does the system tell the difference?

If I am a Closed player... if I do not wish to PvP at all, then perhaps I'd be better off moving away from someone who is merely yapping at me? Warn Interact? Move into another room? Take off my gweths if it is over that? If they follow me everywhere I can simply report for harassment?

My point is... if I prefer to avoid PvP as much as possible, burning a hole through someone's head won't be my first option just because someone gave me consent.

If I do not want any sort of PvP at all then why would I burn a hole through someone's head just because they were yapping? Your argument really isn't holding up, man. Sounds like someone that want to eat their cake and have it too.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 06:39 PM CST
Mmmm...cake.

-- Player of Szrael --

The road to wisdom? -- Well, it's plain
and simple to express:
Err, and err, and err again,
but less, and less, and less.

http://empathunion.com
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 07:24 PM CST
Honestly, it was not a jib, I was being truthful. If you really want to add thoughts SIGN your posts. Otherwise to me it comes across as all you did in you post was a bunch of QQ.

It sounds as if someone smashed you or a friend and you did not like it. If it bothers you that much take it up with the smasher. I am always happy to explain why I smash someone.

There are times its as simple as "They are dwarven" other times its something else.

There have also been time that I smashed someone for a young person. I am more than willing to accept responsibility for my actions.

I would also add my voice here that anything that is offensive should be considered consent and put you to open. I am okay with that. Actions should provoke reactions and every action has a consequence for good or for bad I for one understand and accept that. In fact that is what in my opinion drives good rp are the consequences.

As for policy changing in regards to policing the gweth, I am fine with how they are currently set up.

carry on...

Miv
I would rather have an intelligent enemy than a stupid friend.
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 08:02 PM CST
<<I agree, actually. But I also think PC theft, offensive spell casting, and a number of social verbs (SLAP, etc.) should do it too. Essentially, any consent-granting action that we can quantify.>>

i only agree on pc theft if you get caught. if you're being properly sneaky, nobody should be the wiser.

The undead hordes would like to take this moment to remind you that they are quite happy to eat your brains so that you may test new depart.Please consider it.Hugs and kisses, Team Necro.
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 08:08 PM CST
<<If I do not want any sort of PvP at all then why would I burn a hole through someone's head just because they were yapping? Your argument really isn't holding up, man.

There seems to be a mistaken impression that a closed PvP setting is something other than the default setting for every character and that it somehow serves to limit PvP activity beyond what has been available under policy since the inception of the game.

A player is not required to use, or even acknowledge the existence of the profile system. By opting out of the system and not setting a profile he is not indicating that wishes to 'avoid PvP at all costs', but that he is playing under the same rules and restrictions set by policy that he and everyone else have played under since long before profiles were an option.

Personally, I wish profiles could be toggled off, making it so that if one tried to profile a character with profiles toggled off he would get something like:

Bob has opted out of the profile system. Normal policy rules apply.

But, where the profile system is concerned, I seem to be a minority of one so I'll just continue to pretend it doesn't exist. :-P
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 08:57 PM CST
>>i only agree on pc theft if you get caught.

You can be caught without being mechanically caught. My Empath, for instance, call tell if anyone at all is in a spot, so if absolutely no one is in the area, and she is losing money, and you are standing there, then she knows that you are stealing from her, even if she doesn't see you yanking coins out of her purse.

That's why stealing, any stealing, caught or no, should flag the Thief open.

If you don't get caught, the mark will not even know who to go after in pretty much all cases. So you have nothing to worry about unless you are relying on mechanics alone to protect you from consequences, which no Thief of any caliber ought to be doing.

-- Player of Szrael --

The road to wisdom? -- Well, it's plain
and simple to express:
Err, and err, and err again,
but less, and less, and less.

http://empathunion.com
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/07/2009 11:26 PM CST
>>There seems to be a mistaken impression that a closed PvP setting is something other than the default setting for every character and that it somehow serves to limit PvP activity beyond what has been available under policy since the inception of the game.

Maybe the policy since the inception of the game (pre-profile) isn't as sufficient as it should be? Maybe profiles bring an entirely new dimension into determining whether people are reporting for the sake of revenge, or reporting because they are truly being bothered?

DR is changing, so at this point I wouldn't rule anything out. I'm pretty sure the GMs will provide protection to players who are really getting it to them but in all honesty, I think the profile system has exposed a lot of policy players for what they are.

If I were a GM, my goal would be to provide an extremely fun environment for as many players as possible while protecting that same playerbase from harassment or any other real disturbance to their gameplay. It just so happens that in the past I think things leaned heavily in favor of the report-first-to-win-despite-pettiness mentality, which is not really fun for anyone nor completely necessary (akin to calling the ambulance for a paper cut) in some situations.

Anyway, just my perspective on it and although it presents a new set of problems, I think the profile system has been amazing for the game.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/08/2009 12:07 AM CST
I don't care for the profile system at all. I have no use for it. I don't have any intention of engaging in any PvP, but that doesn't mean someone else won't engage ME. I don't report, regardless of the circumstances. Having spent most of my time in TF, reporting is akin to whining, and it's something I won't do.

Last night was my first night back in prime in a very long time and 15 minutes after I logged in, my character was killed. Oh well. I tried to RP the scenario out, but it didn't go well for me. Afterward I whispered OOC to that person that I don't report, but would appreciate it if they left me alone. That was the end of it as far as I can tell. I haven't been bothered by this person since.

The profile system didn't help me out at all. In my opinion, it's completely useless unless you're a person who is looking to engage others in PvP.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/08/2009 12:13 AM CST
I'll just leave this here

http://textbasedshame.livejournal.com/40516.html

Rev. Reene

Your mind hears Aislynn thinking, "Hrrr. Just not Caelumia. She creates multi-dimensional pain that defies the laws of anatomy."
Your mind hears Azatia thinking, "she's good like that"
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/08/2009 12:14 AM CST

Hi!

This one's about Gwethsmashers not Profiles, that's the other thread.

Kindly get back on topic.

Annwyl
Senior Board Monitor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing Senior Board Monitor DR-Annwyl@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor DR-Cecco@play.net.
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/08/2009 12:36 AM CST
My mistake Annwyl. Oh well.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/08/2009 02:18 PM CST
<<text-based-shame

Golden.

Falker
Re: gweth smashers aka a dead horse... 11/09/2009 06:34 AM CST
<<<<text-based-shame>>

Corny and uninspired.

-Mr. Glemm
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page