Prev_page Previous 1 3
Gwethsmashing 12/12/2008 12:51 PM CST
I would like to say that I think that there are a lot of people carrying and using gwethsmashers who seem to just be smashing gweths of others who express opinions for no reason.
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/12/2008 01:08 PM CST
Are you serial? There doesn't really need to be a reason to gwethsmash anyone.
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/12/2008 01:40 PM CST
<<There doesn't need to be a reason to gwethsmash>>

adjusted and..

qft

:oP Ragran
Idon Raider
____We, the disenfranchised men and women of Elanthia do, by the publishing of this accord, cast off the oppressive yoke of all law and nations and choose for ourselves a path of loyalty unto ourselves

_____www.idonraiders.com
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/12/2008 01:41 PM CST
That's exactly the kind of attitude that I feel is a problem and am complaining about.

Sometimes we forget that there are other people with feelings behind another's character.
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/12/2008 01:44 PM CST
>>Sometimes we forget that there are other people with feelings behind another's character.

and 97% of the time those other people brought the smashing on themselves

~Arwinia

Thieves will continue to be dominated by the awesome power of the perceive health ability - that which causes rivers to dry up, babies to cry, and the earth to shake.
Stand back mortal, lest ye health be perceived.
-Ssra
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/12/2008 01:54 PM CST
I've been smashed before. So what. You have two choices, either suck it up and move on, or go after the smasher. I chose the first option as being the safest of the two with my 18th circle empath at the time.

What JLo said is pretty much spot on.
- GM Dartenian
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/12/2008 01:56 PM CST
>Sometimes we forget that there are other people with feelings behind another's character.

If having a textual thought-relaying device textually destroyed is going to cause the person behind a character emotional distress, it is my opinion said person should probably find something else to do with their time.

Lest we forget, there are other people growing rather annoyed behind another's character.

Re: Gwethsmashing 12/12/2008 02:03 PM CST
So we've heard from Arwinia, and Zadie - both whom seem to be in charge of determining who can say what on the gweth, because they use their smashers to control the conversation. Anyone else? Because it would be nice to know whom else is in charge so those who don't want to lose their gweths can kiss your *es.
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/12/2008 02:04 PM CST
So are feelings going to get hurt when you(anyone) get stolen from? Maybe If someone slaps you(anyone) randomly is that going to piss you off? Maybe

There are so many ways, including smashing that are geared to piss others off. I think gweth smashing will not go away, so best to just suck it up and move on.

I've been gweth smashed before for asking for help heh, was I pissed? ya kinda but i told one of my friends and they gave me replacement gweths for free. The smasher was probably 5 times my circle and I had no way of retaliating but I got new gweths and all is well. I got over it.
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/12/2008 02:04 PM CST
>>If having a textual thought-relaying device textually destroyed is going to cause the person behind a character emotional distress, it is my opinion said person should probably find something else to do with their time.

QFT

Denstimar Dustyfoot
Idon Raider - www.idonraiders.com
"Have you not learned great lessons from those who braced themselves against you, and disputed passage with you?" - Walt Whitman
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/12/2008 02:06 PM CST
>>So we've heard from Arwinia, and Zadie - both whom seem to be in charge of determining who can say what on the gweth, because they use their smashers to control the conversation. Anyone else? Because it would be nice to know whom else is in charge so those who don't want to lose their gweths can kiss your *es.

I think you just accurately demonstrated Rmel's point

~Arwinia

Thieves will continue to be dominated by the awesome power of the perceive health ability - that which causes rivers to dry up, babies to cry, and the earth to shake.
-Ssra
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/12/2008 02:18 PM CST
Have you found out why people got smashed? Gwethsmashers are not cheap because they can only be made every 2-4 real life weeks. So people don't just waste charges willy nilly.

And the converse is also true. The smashee's feelings might be hurt but what about the smasher. They are probably angry or annoyed or unhappy about something on the gweths as well. It's a two way street.

Nikpack

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/12/2008 02:58 PM CST
<i>It's a two way street.</i>

It is only a two way street here, because here their gwethsmashers can't delete the posts.
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/12/2008 03:06 PM CST
My Last Few Gwethsmashes:

+ Someone saying "IRL" on the gweth.
+ Someone emoting on the gweth.
+ Someone threatening me on the gweth.
+ Someone threatening and insulting me on the gweth.

I'm pretty sure most people who smash have similar lists. I don't waste charges on random people, I save them for people who are OOC or who insult or threaten my character, or my character's friends.

Skills Needed for Kaith Partani
Need 293 (500) Empathy.
Have at least 200 in #1 Armor (Light Chain).
Have at least 240 Evasion.
Have at least 160 Shield Usage.
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/12/2008 03:06 PM CST
Actually I have read posts by people who brag about smashing gweths just to grief people- but it really doesn't matter. I really vehemantly disagree with gwethsmashers- so if anyone cares I vote against them- but as it is unless the gweth smashing falls under harassment any and all reasons for smashing are per the rules and thats the way it is. So I understand the point of the original poster but the powers that be have determined that this is good and so be it.

"militantly enforcing the overly rigid standards of you and your small collection of friends"
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/12/2008 03:09 PM CST
This comes up at least once a month. The GMs have said numerous times you do not need a reason to smash someone's gweth. Period.

One of the most immature things I see is someone getting smashed then buying another gweth, putting it on and saying, ' blaa blaa blaa You just wasted a charge .' Then proceed to get that one smashed and get all pissy about that one too.

Unless you have a ongoing feud with someone, you probably said something that offended the smasher.

Get over it and move on.

Drevid

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/12/2008 03:22 PM CST
>>Actually I have read posts by people who brag about smashing gweths just to grief people

Also, just to satisfy my own curiousity, can you cite one of those posts?
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/12/2008 03:23 PM CST
Hire someone to kill them? =)
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/12/2008 03:32 PM CST
EQUINE CEMETERY! YEEEEE HAW!
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/12/2008 05:12 PM CST
ahahaha winner

~Arwinia

-Ssra
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/12/2008 07:08 PM CST
I've had my gweths smashed and been the one doing the smashing. It's not that big of a deal. Make friends with a moonmage.

~Player of "One of the Caels."
Queen of Non-Sequitors
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/16/2008 02:39 PM CST
the other day I smashed 1/2 ppl putting on the monty python burn the witch skit.

if you're really worried about getting your gweths smashed, you can always not gweth. 100% fool proof defense.

I'm the guy that ate the rotten meat.
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/17/2008 01:32 PM CST
I got smashed once flew off the handle then got killed but its all in good fun. I do think people talking ooc should get smashed. I consider myself a light role player but i don't break character unless its in a whisper at a meeting or talking to a gm those are the only times i consider it ok to talk ooc. i am more careful about how i talk on the gweth because replacing gweths is a big inconvenience when you live out in ratha.

Re: Gwethsmashing 12/18/2008 02:47 PM CST
"if you're really worried about getting your gweths smashed, you can always not gweth. 100% fool proof defense."

Gweth smashers are a great way to enforce your own narrow point of view. Getting people to stop gwething at all is just an additional side benefit.

"militantly enforcing the overly rigid standards of you and your small collection of friends"
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/20/2008 08:15 PM CST
"narrow point of view"
You are arguing what you believe to be correct. That is your narrow point of view. As far as gweth smashers are concerned, the rule is you need not have a reason to smash somebodies gweths. That is the rule, and that is the only point of view that really matters.
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/22/2008 01:28 PM CST
i think a class of character needs to emerge; the Gweth Constables or some such.

these are high level characters that are SO bored they feel like refereeing gwethsmashing activity. They'd be JUST LIKE AURORS IN HARRY POTTER...but for the gweths. And they would mediate between 2 other higher and lower circle players, not voldemorte and the rest of mankind. srs difference, to be sure.

scenario1:
1. Newb gweths, "HI I AM NEW EVEN THOUGH I KNOW HOW TO USE A GWETH AND HAVE ONE FOR THAT MATTER AND I WANT TO INTRODUCE MYSELF TO EVERYONE IN ORC AND DORK LAND"

2. Many, many, many players grasp their text-smashers and frantically pound the CENTER!CENTER!CENTER! on this person.

But, as in nature, only the fastest and strongest smasher gets through.

Newb is smashed.

3. Newb cries to the Gweth Constabulary (player-run). Gweth Constabulary dont kill newb ig for even knowing that they exist IF he/she is a newb, but take the case.

They find said player with said potent smasher and question him/her.

He/she explains. Gweth Constable assigned to the case agrees the newb was rightly smashed and moves along.

scenario2:
The smashing was wrong, or bullying, or a champion may be in order. FURTHER INVESTIGATION AT VERY LEAST!

Job requires a willingness to turn a blind eye when the weaker really have it coming...and their smashing is just.

Job also requires willingness and ability to do murder on behalf of the weak, after finely honed investigative technique has failed to find true fault on behalf of the besmashed.

Maybe call yourselves Gwethulators...or Regugwethers. Srs. I have a lot of other good names too.

All activity, i believe, contingent upon GUARDED pvp profile settings of all participants.

have fun with it! i have perma gweths and am going to round 1000 debts pretty soon!

Re: Gwethsmashing 12/22/2008 01:38 PM CST
"narrow point of view"
"You are arguing what you believe to be correct. That is your narrow point of view. As far as gweth smashers are concerned, the rule is you need not have a reason to smash somebodies gweths. That is the rule, and that is the only point of view that really matters. "

Of course that is my narrow point of view. However, I don't take my point of view on what is appropriate behaviour and thoughts and attempt to impose them on others in game.

I realize of course what the rule is in game, and don't spend too much time worrying about it. I point out though that many of the people who feel that the current gwethsmashing rules are appropriate also passionately argue that consent rules should be done away, and are not detered by the fact that consent is the rule. Its perfectly appropriate to argue that a rule should be changed.

Re: Gwethsmashing 12/24/2008 06:59 AM CST
>Ragran wrote,
> something
> =oP Ragran

signing up for a MMORPG advertising 200-600 players on the main page that explains what IC and OOC is in the TOS, it sounds to me like what you'd really like is a room anyone under circle 20 gets sent to if smashed with a book of policy in it they need to re-agree to before being released.

I'm the guy that ate the rotten meat.
Re: Gwethsmashing 12/24/2008 11:22 AM CST
not a bad idea c.

however, there still are 2 unaddressed issues left over.

1. bored people that would like to be gweth enforcers.

2. bored people that are weak and like to overuse their smashers and need to be beaten into submission themselves.

Gwethsmashing an excellent tool for harassment and bullying: 04/19/2009 06:27 PM CDT
I've been gwethsmashed about 4 times so far by the same person, and one more time by a different over my way of speaking on the gweth, My character is Stormtears, he's been speaking in the same manner from the moment gnome started in the game. Now using expressions goodest good, and wonderfullest wonderful. I know that way of speaking can be as annoying as taking time to write it down. However annoying it is, it's also roleplaying. In my case, a person decides to police the gweth by smashing me. Gwethsmashing is legal, but doing it excessively becomes harassment. Policing the gweth is OOC, but since you dont need an excuse to gwethsmash, you can police the gweth. The fellow that decided to gwethsmash me, belong to a criminal organization in the game. Basically, all he has to do is to tell all his groupy friend to gwethsmash me every week by a different persons. It's perfect, it's next to impossible to proove. Like i cant prove that other person that smashed me for OOC reason is teaming up with the first one. I talk to two GM's so far, the last one told me he didnt have enough proof to do anything about. So, he mentions to use the verb WARN, which didnt work today. I took a different character to find where are the two people causing me problems, the weaker one was hunting creatures for which i need at least 30 more circle to take on, the second is almost twice my circle. So trying to take them on myself in game would be horribly studpid. Basically, gwethsmashing is allowing a couple of people to bullying me. As far as the first person is concerned, he did more before he did the gweth smashing. My Question is What are my Optios? Talk to GM's, That requires that i can prove it. so basically i need document everythings. To bad i didnt to do that when i first started. But, i'm doing it now, and I think i'll have to start documenting even my encounter with GM's, which I really dont like to do. What Do I do if the GM's cant resolve the problems and end the harassment. So far, i'm following the rules, but the rules seems to be made to protect just the higher circle people. I'm getting very depressed over this, yet i'll never bow to people that use their power to harass or bully. Your's truly JG
Re: Gwethsmashing an excellent tool for harassment and bullying: 04/19/2009 06:29 PM CDT
oh hi there post that's about to be moved to the equine cemetary how ya doin

~Arwinia

The Empath spellbook is a riddle trapped in an enigma hidden inside a lot of suck.-Armifer
Re: Gwethsmashing an excellent tool for harassment and bullying: 04/19/2009 09:19 PM CDT
I've heard you over the gweth, and if I had access to a gwethsmasher, I'd use it on you as well. Just sayin...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein
Re: Gwethsmashing an excellent tool for harassment and bullying: 04/19/2009 10:03 PM CDT
Who is this n00bling?

- Simon

And I would've gotten away with it, if it weren't for those bloody adventurers!
Re: Gwethsmashing an excellent tool for harassment and bullying: 04/19/2009 10:21 PM CDT
>>Stormtears?

This is not carebears

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Gwethsmashing an excellent tool for harassment and bullying: 04/19/2009 10:30 PM CDT
Hire me, I will kill whoever is smashing you. 200 plat per kill.

I'm on a Motor-boat!!
Re: Gwethsmashing an excellent tool for harassment and bullying: 04/20/2009 06:47 AM CDT
there's a few possibliities.

1. kill the person. you said they are higher than you though, so...

2. hire someone else to kill the person.

3. write feedback if the person is repeatedly doing it. that could be harassment.

4. get an alt acct. train up a MM until you can make your own gweths. free. -- well, except for the cost of materials. and those can be inexpensive if you also train up a thief to acquire 'em.

It's a number, it gets bigger. That's the whole DR experience right there
Re: Gwethsmashing an excellent tool for harassment and bullying: 04/20/2009 12:35 PM CDT
Vahlissa found the gwething to be very annoying too. Just saying. She rarely smashes anyone.

As a player I can understand your wish to Role Play and that you feel having your gweth smashes is a infringement on your right to RP however you wish. However, smashing your character's gweth is equally someone elses right to RP no matter how rotten it may seem.

Annoying people IRL are heckled all the time. Rarely does someone stand back and say, "Leave him alone! He is just expressing his annoying self!"

Think about it..
Re: Gwethsmashing an excellent tool for harassment and bullying: 04/21/2009 05:19 AM CDT
One of my characters may well have been the 'other' person who had Stormtears smashed. The character in question always asks someone more capable than herself to do the smashing on the very rare occasions that she's moved to do it. There's no reason that Stormtears couldn't do the same thing to the person/people who are smashing him.

For my part, the request to smash was provoked by SEVERAL annoyingest annoying gweths in the space of about ten minutes. My character can only remain charitable for so long.

I'm pretty sure less smashing would occur to that character if either:

1) he gwethed less often (an option for reduced smashes without further conflict or altering how the character speaks/thinks),

2) he gwethed using the whateverest whatevers less often (an option that your character could well take if he feels people are out to get him based on the words he uses), or

3) he found a way to either lay the people who are smashing him out or befriend them. (an option that might actually increase your interaction by taking up the smashings as an opportunity for expanded roleplaying, and not just people being big meanies trying to ruin your personal fun)
Re: Gwethsmashing an excellent tool for harassment and bullying: 04/22/2009 04:21 PM CDT
Hello all.

I'm Stormtears RL brother. I've seen the effect these repeated smashes has had on him. I'm happy he's come to the forums so that we can see what others have to say. I'm taking notes and will talk to him about it. I'm hoping to reach a middle ground between him and those who are, apparently, annoyed by his style.

After Armifier more than clarified the reason for gwethsmashers (even though many of you use it solely for the power trip) I understand that the gweth is not something to abuse. It is a channel to all other gweth users in the area and is, in itself, alot of power. I rarely gweth myself for this reason (even less since I never know what will set someone off.) I can understand that some find Stormtears' particular style of speech to be annoying, and I hope that it's the amount of times he gweths this way that leads to smashing and that this isn't a case of the player being annoyed and smashing.

I'd also hope that we are all aware enough to know that many people do not like conflict, and don't react well to it. My brother is one of those. Smashing unfortunately is a faceless act. It lacks explanation, which can be done while face to face. All one gets is an impersonal slap in the face from some remote location. There should be a message section to fill out when you smash. A field like the Bug or Assist command to type in the reason for smashing. If my brother had received smashes with messages saying, "Stop gwething so much!!!" he would be less annoying and happier for it. Then again, perhaps he was warned of that before smashing, I can't say for sure. We have vastly different schedules and it's never happened while I was on.

I implore the player of Eladrin to please talk to Stormtears. Please explain to him your reasons. What I'm sure is a CvC situation is not viewed that way by both sides (as Storm's post shows.) Hopefully, you'll see this post.

Thanks in advance!

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
Abraham Lincoln
Re: Gwethsmashing an excellent tool for harassment and bullying: 04/22/2009 04:25 PM CDT
Serious question, is your brother a little kid?

~Arwinia

The Empath spellbook is a riddle trapped in an enigma hidden inside a lot of suck.-Armifer
Prev_page Previous 1 3