Prev_page Previous 1
Gryphons 12/17/2009 08:17 AM CST
I'm having a great time in gryphons but have a couple questions. First, about what should be needed for Young gryphons? Baby & fledgling gryphons don't present a threat but teach great. I can dance with young ones for awhile but eventually end up getting banged around enough that I have to leave before I'd like to.

Also, will I be able to go from one tier to another in gryphons seamlessly? As in baby/fledgling -> young -> adult -> mature -> elder?

-Guardian Lord Alaxndr Durnovaria, Advocate of Therengia

"A knight is sworn to valor
His heart knows only virtue
His blade defends the helpless
His words speak only truth
His wrath undoes the wicked."
Re: Gryphons 12/17/2009 08:20 AM CST
Forgot to add, I only ask because sometimes the baby/fledgling area is full. I don't plan on moving out of there for awhile because my weapons are lagging behind my defenses more than I'd like. While I'm at it, about what is the cap for baby/fledgling?

-Guardian Lord Alaxndr Durnovaria, Advocate of Therengia

"A knight is sworn to valor
His heart knows only virtue
His blade defends the helpless
His words speak only truth
His wrath undoes the wicked."
Re: Gryphons 12/17/2009 01:54 PM CST
>While I'm at it, about what is the cap for baby/fledgling?

Fledgling gryphons don't hard cap evasion until 450, and the multi cap goes even higher. They'll also teach offense past 400 if you're patient/lucky enough. Though you really should be mixing in young gryphons well before that anyway.

~ Kougen

Moon Mages: Ripping reality a new one since 586 BL
Re: Gryphons 12/28/2009 01:55 PM CST
Speaking of Gryphons. Is there anything that helps avoid being stunned, and/or knocked down by them?
If not is there something else to hunt that is close in skill and spawn as them?
Re: Gryphons 12/28/2009 01:58 PM CST
<<Is there anything that helps avoid being stunned, and/or knocked down by them?

I think you're referring to their wing buffet ability?

Stats will do that for you... I think probably DIS and/or REF will help you avoid getting knocked down by it.

-Evran

* Prophet Hotoke Fuku-Nyorai snuck out of the shadow he was hiding in.
Re: Gryphons 12/28/2009 05:15 PM CST
I'll train those a bit. Thanks.
Re: Gryphons 12/28/2009 10:29 PM CST
What is the combat rank range of the young gryphons?

You suddenly feel nauseous, as if you'd been doing performance art.
Re: Gryphons 12/29/2009 06:53 AM CST
In weapons, i needed around 220 ranks to start hitting them consistently and i hear they still train well at over 350 ranks.

As for defenses, i'd say 260-450. You'll be able to milk them to 500 or maybe more (except for multi).
Re: Gryphons 12/29/2009 09:22 AM CST
I still get blasted by the older gryphon's special attacks, even with SOTT and WOPT (+15 to reflex/disc). I'm not sure it's possible to dodge/resist. But maybe we're talking about different attacks.

Stat value
Strength60
Reflex 74
Agility 90
Charisma35
Discipline 60
Wisdom 44
Intelligence45
Stamina 55

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Gryphons 12/29/2009 05:08 PM CST
>I still get blasted by the older gryphon's special attacks, even with SOTT and WOPT (+15 to reflex/disc). I'm not sure it's possible to dodge/resist.

I assure you, it is possible to resist it. Not sure when that happens though, since I had 99 in the stats when gryphons got released.

It will cost you 444 TDPs to raise your Strength from 99 to 100.
Re: Gryphons 12/29/2009 06:58 PM CST
<<I assure you, it is possible to resist it. Not sure when that happens though, since I had 99 in the stats when gryphons got released.

I can echo this, at least with respect to the mature/young ones if not elders. I used to hunt in Shard gryphons with Squiff as my meat-shield while I blasted them with TM. Squiff would resist most of the buffets, while I always got nailed by the mature ones, and occasionally resisted the young ones.

The REF/DIS was just an educated guess on my part. It could be completely off base.

-Evran

Re: Gryphons 12/30/2009 12:35 AM CST
I am not sure what stats are included but I resist them fine, when thier attack does succeed it lasts longer on the gryphons than it does on me. Keep trainin and you will get there.

Miv
I would rather have an intelligent enemy than a stupid friend.
Re: Gryphons 12/31/2009 08:36 PM CST
>I am not sure what stats are included but I resist them fine, when thier attack does succeed it lasts longer on the gryphons than it does on me. Keep trainin and you will get there.

So somewhere between my current stats and Coper's 99 in everything I'll be ok. What stats do you beat me in Miv, so I know which ones to work on if I want to go try big gryphons again.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Gryphons 12/31/2009 10:04 PM CST
All of them:)

When I see you in game I will elaborate on that if you like. See you in Storm Bulls:)

Miv
I would rather have an intelligent enemy than a stupid friend.
Re: Gryphons 01/01/2010 06:27 AM CST

....how come your using my login as your sig block?!
Re: Gryphons 01/01/2010 06:36 AM CST
<<....how come your using my login as your sig block?!

I'm using in a not-so-silent protest over getting a TAC warning from using a sounded out version of your last name in a post, while you get to run around the realms scott-free with it.

Its more of a 'if you can't beat em, join em' thing rather than a crusade against your name, really.

-Evran

Re: Gryphons 01/01/2010 09:33 AM CST
Well done Evran. While I'm an adult and no stranger to offensive language, I most definitely find Hotoke's last name to be perhaps the most offensive thing I've ever seen in DR. I hope the GM's make him change it.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: Gryphons 01/01/2010 09:48 AM CST
nothing offensive about it, its from japanese mythology. Google it sometime and then go die in a fire.

Thanks,
Toke
Re: Gryphons 01/01/2010 09:51 AM CST
yeah well I find mook1 to be an offensive name to. so go figure.
Re: Gryphons 01/01/2010 09:56 AM CST
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/f/fuku-nyorai.html

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar guys
Re: Gryphons 01/01/2010 12:54 PM CST
>>a TAC warning from using a sounded out version of your last name in a post

You're doing it wrong. It sounds nothing like any offensive words in English if you say it right.

Foo - koo.

~ Kougen

Moon Mages: Ripping reality a new one since 586 BL
Re: Gryphons 01/01/2010 01:10 PM CST

There is nothing wrong with the name. It's the Japanese element of air.

Let's get back on topic. Thanks!

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Gryphons 01/05/2010 10:22 AM CST
Hanryu: Mind posting your best guess on what it takes to resist once you talk to Miv? I am 66 Reflex/65 Agility/60 Dis and still get smoked by the air buffet from matures.

P.S. Please put these on the ground (along with mature/adult).

Madigan

"le rage du paladine" Korsik
Re: Gryphons 01/07/2010 06:01 PM CST
Maybe its a strength/stam contest? Really, it doesn't make any sense at all no matter what way you look at it...no matter what, when you get hit by enough wind to lift you off your feet, turn you to your back, and send you a few feet in the air, you can't really dodge it, push your way through it, or just be plain disciplined enough to resist it, it happens. But grabbing hold of something or shoving a spear deeply into the ground and holding on makes more sense than the rest of it and would suggest a strength/stam contest rather than a will or reflex contest. While I appreciate the coded logic doesn't necessarily work like that, is there ample reason to assume the GMs WOULDN'T code it like that?
Re: Gryphons 01/08/2010 12:12 PM CST
Probably because not everyone ignores all stats except strength and uses pikes.
Re: Gryphons 01/13/2010 04:30 PM CST
I'm curious if Gryphons would be a good fit for me or not?

Strength : 42 Reflex : 30
Agility : 26 Charisma : 24
Discipline : 24 Wisdom : 22
Intelligence : 20 Stamina : 30

Parry Ability: 242 93% clear
Multi Opponent: 190 21% clear
Heavy Edged: 260 64% clear
Evasion: 234 97% clear
Leather Armor: 227 81% clear

I'm a Barbarian as well.

~Ram
Re: Gryphons 01/13/2010 05:55 PM CST
My guy avg's about 250 in weps and defense and does well with the Baby Gry,get a little beat at times,You should be able to kill em fast enough with 260,multi may hurt ya,not sure had 230 when i started there.Red leucs in garg area could help there if needed,you can milk them over 240..plus working lower weps doin so...this is with all straight ranks,no buffs,dances,etc.
Re: Gryphons 01/13/2010 05:55 PM CST
IMO unless you boost your multi via dancing you'd have problems with more than 2 on you if 2 didn't hurt you. I'd personally get multi up some black leucros or red leucros would work fine for that and reds would still move your other defenses up to around 260-270
Re: Gryphons 01/14/2010 07:32 AM CST
You should be able to learn MO from the undead on the route from the gondola to shard. Sometimes its a pain to get red leucros since some people just sit with 4 forever and never kill them. I used the undead until 250s in MO
Re: Gryphons 01/14/2010 11:29 AM CST
Still locking MO well in orc scouts/vicious warcats at ~250 ranks as a weapon secondary.

I'd also say you should work defenses a bit before going. My evasion/shield average is right around 260 and I can still lock both in scouts/warcats.

Those are two solutions in your immediate area.
Re: Gryphons 01/14/2010 11:44 AM CST
You seem like the berserking type. If you constantly berserk stone you'll be fine.

You might want to consider hunting something a bit easier and slowing down on the killing in order to get multi up to par with defenses.

I hunted nipoh oshu on Aesry before trying gryphons. They're perfect for defenses. Great loot too.
Re: Gryphons 01/14/2010 03:00 PM CST
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm in Red Leuc's now the gen rate seems a bit slow for what I'm used to perhaps I'll look into the Undead or scouts and cats. Though the leucros seem to be pretty safe hunting.

Incidentally, I am a zerking barb for sure.
Re: Gryphons 01/14/2010 03:29 PM CST
I'd check out the one nearest to the gondola in Fayrins Rest. It's just horrors and shamblers.

The closer you get to town there's cracked bone warriors thrown in which are the same difficulty but seem to block everything with their shield for some reason.
Re: Gryphons 01/14/2010 08:09 PM CST
Safe hunting is the best hunting. If you're learning well in an area there is zero reason to move up to an area that can and most likely will kill you on a daily basis. Only move up when you have to move up.
Re: Gryphons 01/14/2010 08:43 PM CST
>>Safe hunting is the best hunting. If you're learning well in an area there is zero reason to move up to an area that can and most likely will kill you on a daily basis. Only move up when you have to move up. <<

QFT. Dying in combat is an unnecessary and HUGE waste of time.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

Solomon
Re: Gryphons 01/14/2010 08:55 PM CST
>>QFT. Dying in combat is an unnecessary and HUGE waste of time.

Says the man who died 15 times a day when he moved to celps :P Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Re: Gryphons 01/14/2010 09:04 PM CST
>Safe hunting is the best hunting. If you're learning well in an area there is zero reason to move up to an area that can and most likely will kill you on a daily basis. Only move up when you have to move up.

Sort of disagree. I can spend 10 minutes in Meys (no buffs) and be at 34 in eva/mo/shield/parry/hc/lc, and probably 15 in hb/he/skin then drop off a handfull of rooms to train magic/lore, and repeat. Granted they really rough up the character. But it does have the added advantage of teaching FA.

Whereas with Snowbeasts or Sluecs I have to have 4 to not just dodge, but it takes 30-40 minutes to get combats up to 20ish. Granted, it's much better and easier to just camp in there all day, but if you only have 2-3 hours, even with the healing downtime, Meys would be better in this example.
Re: Gryphons 01/14/2010 09:10 PM CST
Not necessarily. Changing stances to not dodge as much works wonders. Lower levels aren't that big of a deal because the ranges aren't that much different, but trying to hunt something the next rung up in the higher end critters means you will get the one shot deaths daily. Dinged up is something I would have killed for before they made the change. I wouldn't get all combats near 34 and then get one shot and have to start all over again.
Re: Gryphons 01/14/2010 10:15 PM CST
"QFT. Dying in combat is an unnecessary and HUGE waste of time."

How incredibly boring. While I admit I do often hunt creatures that are very unlikely to kill Flavius, I really only have fun when I hunt ones that do have a reasonable chance of killing him.
Re: Gryphons 01/15/2010 04:23 AM CST
>>Says the man who died 15 times a day when he moved to celps :P Sorry, I couldn't resist.<<

Ha! Ya, but when I got to celps with 500 in combats I had only a total of 8 deaths, and two of those were from being killed by other players.

Flavius- I figured someone would post something about not having fun if not for the thrill that comes with living on the edge close to death. That's fine, but when it comes to training, learning, advancing... dying is still a huge and unnecessary waste of time. I know there are people who like to explore the edge of the envelope because the game is more fun and exciting for them, but when they die in that new hunting area, they wait for a drag, a heal, a rezz, and they have to start over with zeroes.

It's all good. It's the story of the tortoise and the hare. I'm much more of a tortoise when it comes to training. Slow and steady works for me, it doesn't work for everyone.

Solomon
Prev_page Previous 1