Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Gryphons 01/15/2010 10:10 AM CST
I'm with Ucu on this one. If all you care about is combat skills, then go ahead and milk hunting grounds for as long as possible. However, if you want to advance other skills at the same time, you need to push your limits so you can lock combats faster, then get out and do other stuff.

You lick the dirt and discover that it tastes like dirt.
Gryphons 03/24/2010 10:48 AM CDT
Been hunting in gryphons for a while now and my armor has hit the cap but weapons are still moving, albeit a tad slower than when I started, especially on the first tier with baby/fledgling. I'm happy with how things move in young/fledgling, but was curious when I'm ready to take the next step up are the ruby crested gryphons a good place to go? Do they fly, like the silver ones? And where exactly are they in the roost?

Also, bristle back peccaries, is there a room that has better spawn than others? I think I'd benefit from moving there but I really like the gen in gryphons (Paladin, like to train defenses). Thanks!

-Guardian Lord Alaxndr Durnovaria, Advocate of Therengia

"A knight is sworn to valor
His heart knows only virtue
His blade defends the helpless
His words speak only truth
His wrath undoes the wicked."
Re: Gryphons 03/24/2010 11:33 AM CDT
Adult and elder gryphons all fly. If you stay in young/fledgling gryphons long enough, you can transition to ratha celpeze with no issues.

Bristle-backs could possibly teach you after young/fledgling, but not by much. If you want to stay on the mainland you can try apes near Boar Clan. Malchata outside of Shard would work as well, but be prepared for sand attacks that will damage your shield and being immobilized. I could be mistaken, but I think you have posted that you have high strength/stamina and low reflex/agility. If this is the case, getting past ape parry or avoiding the malchata special attacks could be problematic.
Re: Gryphons 03/24/2010 11:41 AM CDT
Mind sharing what your armor stopped at?
Re: Gryphons 03/24/2010 02:09 PM CDT
It hasn't stopped completely, but it's slowed down significantly at around 350 ranks. Shield still learns marginally with 4 on me at 420 ranks. Needless to say my weapon ranks are quite a bit below my defenses :)

And no, there isn't a terribly significant gap between most of my physicals. Is there any chance I could go from gryphons to orc reivers? I really don't want to leave Therengia :D

-Guardian Lord Alaxndr Durnovaria, Advocate of Therengia

"A knight is sworn to valor
His heart knows only virtue
His blade defends the helpless
His words speak only truth
His wrath undoes the wicked."
Re: Gryphons 03/24/2010 03:27 PM CDT
Welcome to life after gryphons.

Felicini (who would love to be in Therengia but is in Mer'Kresh)
Re: Gryphons 03/24/2010 06:20 PM CDT
> Is there any chance I could go from gryphons to orc reivers?

Absolutely. Let me know how you feel about the spawn in the Manor House.

>I really don't want to leave Therengia :D

By all means stay, just don't expect to gain any combat exp past 600 ranks there. Post 500 will be painfully slow.

You can train against elder and adult gryphons if you want, they just use a knockdown and fly out of range, A LOT. Aside from that, I would assume that they should be able to teach well past 500.

You can also go to the sky giant area in chasm once you are nearer to 450s in avg D.

If you are a premium subscriber, try the toads that just got released. I have no idea where they cap, but they seem to be a solid 400+ creature.

There are a lot of options for "mainland" hunting until about 700 ranks. Some of those options can be a little slow or frustrating, but it is possible to stay off the islands up to 700 ranks or so.

I know you posted that you don't want to leave Therengia, but consider that a boat ride from Riverhaven/Crossing to the islands is far more time consuming than a couple swims/climbs/ferry trips.
Re: Gryphons 03/24/2010 06:52 PM CDT
>If you stay in young/fledgling gryphons long enough, you can transition to ratha celpeze with no issues.

Did you actually do this? I spent some time in shalswar and warlkins between young gryphons and celpeze, myself. I don't know how necessary that was though, as with 70 reflex I could dance with four celps as soon as I got there, but I took that as a result of their relatively low multi penalty (critter that teaches to 600 but three don't move multi off clear at 470). I also REALLY milked the limit of what gryphons will teach on active defenses while fortifying stealth and some neglected worn armor skills.

>Is there any chance I could go from gryphons to orc reivers?

You'll be disappointed. I tried them once while collecting fangs for divination bones and found them to teach worse than young gryphons due to spawn differences.

~ Kougen

You point at Sahfra, ruining her hiding place.
Roundtime: 1 sec.
Re: Gryphons 03/24/2010 07:02 PM CDT
>>If you stay in young/fledgling gryphons long enough, you can transition to ratha celpeze with no issues.

>Did you actually do this?

Yes.

If I kept logs at that point I could be more specific about my numbers. Maybe Vashir will post in this thread, I am fairly certain he made the same creature progression (gryphons - ratha celps) and he is pretty good about keeping track of his character's progress.
Re: Gryphons 03/25/2010 12:18 AM CDT
<<Maybe Vashir will post in this thread>>

I started making regular attempts at celpeze at just over 300 ranks in weapons and around 350 defenses, but couldn't hunt them regularly until around 350 weapons and 400 defenses. I'm not sure what my reflex was, but it was overtrained to compensate for the hindrance of plate armor. Gryphons worked (albeit slowly) until I was ready to make the switch.

I imagine the transition at those ranks would be easier for a non-Barbarian, as a huge part of my problem was not being able to get my buffs to do what I needed them to do (non-berserk melee offense+defense boost would have made it far better, for example).

Now that we have toads I'd recommend giving those a shot once gryphons slow down, they might help bridge the gap better.

Tishra says, "We had a tie, get over it."

The hammer lands an overwhelming strike that knocks the larynx clear back to the vertebrae (So much for last words!).
* Tishra is slain before your eyes!
Re: Gryphons 03/25/2010 02:07 PM CDT
I went straight from fledgling/young gryphons to south barricade celpeze. Looking at my log from that transition, I had 336 SU, 409 LC, 353 HC, 460 PA, 406 MO, 436 ME and SB, 342 TM, and 300 SK. I was able to hunt there just fine, with help from Manifest Force, Harmony, Rage of Clans, and Demrris' Resolve (to hit stuff with Strange Arrow before I had good enough ranks to just target and cast).
Re: Gryphons 04/05/2010 10:48 AM CDT
<<<It hasn't stopped completely, but it's slowed down significantly at around 350 ranks. >>>

Odd, I have 200 more ranks then you, and I have no problem locking armor in young gryphons in rossman. I also have about the same as you in secondary armor. I can keep both locked pretty easy.

Asterid

Also, please remember to watch the conflicts ~Sidatura
Re: Gryphons 04/05/2010 11:21 AM CDT
Rossman's Landing gryphons appraise slightly more difficult than the ones in Ilithi.

Then there's skillsets and what % you're shield blocking, and how many armors you're wearing.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Gryphons 04/06/2010 06:09 AM CDT
>>Rossman's Landing gryphons appraise slightly more difficult than the ones in Ilithi.

I find this hard to believe when in all my experience the Shard gryphons were decidedly more difficult.

"What a curious phenomenon it is that you can get men to die for the liberty of the world who will not make the little sacrifice that is needed to free themselves from their own individual bondage." ~ Bruce Barton
Re: Gryphons 04/06/2010 11:08 AM CDT
>I find this hard to believe when in all my experience the Shard gryphons were decidedly more difficult.

Were you fighting in the water?

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Gryphons 04/06/2010 11:10 PM CDT
It also seems that the fledglings in the tree are harder then then ones in the nest. At least to some degree, they seemed harder to kill to me and harder to skin. I can triple arrange and skin the fledglings and babys in the nest, the fledglings and youngs in the tree I only skin about half the time and that is without arrange which I usually botch up.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page