Prev_page Previous 1 3
Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 10:23 AM CST
Quick question on the two-handed weapon/shield trade-off. Does this penalty apply just for wearing/holding a shield or only when the character is stanced to attempt to use the shield? In other words, can I keep my armworn shield on and just stance to parry while using my claymore (to use it without penalty), or do I need to take off the shield entirely?
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 10:42 AM CST
Any word on stealth changes and how any appropriate...

1) Moving between rooms while invisible will have a stealth skill check to determine if anyone sees you move in or out of th room
2) Hiding will have defensive penalties to discourage people from staying in stealth 24/7 while in a fight totally immune to everything except AOEs(which are weak)

...will be applied?

~Leilond
http://tinyurl.com/Leilond-Portrait
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 12:01 PM CST
<<* Water combat will be more viable than at present, and use Outdoorsmanship skill as a modifier.>>

Did you mean to say Athleticism here?

This sounds like a lot of great stuff. Thanks for the update.

Kaxis

"See? Dust. Just like the rest of them." -- Buffy
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 12:11 PM CST
<<Small weapons have a lower minimum RT than the larger weapon types.>>

<<Balance is lost by attacking at a rapid-fire non-stop pace,>>

Does one sort of negate the advantage of the other?

Also, we players still think in terms of more gen, but with combat slowing down and getting swarmed being a death sentence (with retreat losing some effectiveness) it sounds like critter gen will actually need to be lowered across the board.

Kaxis

Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 12:35 PM CST

>Small weapons have a higher chance of a positive critical roll.

How small does a weapon need to be, is it determined by weapon class only or weight within that class? Is it a static 'small or not' thing or does it scale to the size? And if it's based on class, is MB smaller than SS?
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 01:11 PM CST
>>Does one sort of negate the advantage of the other?

AFAIK, you'll be able to attack again without losing balance faster with a lighter weapon as opposed to a heavier one, too.
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 01:26 PM CST
>* Water combat will be more viable than at present, and use Outdoorsmanship skill as a modifier.

Cool. Would be also neat if there were mud, quicksand, rocky/inclined terrain room modifiers.

>>* Guarding allies will be a little more useful and practical.

Also cool. I was always impressed with how well paladins could work in a group, but always wished non-pallies were a little more viable in such a role.
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 01:48 PM CST
>>How small does a weapon need to be, is it determined by weapon class only or weight within that class? Is it a static 'small or not' thing or does it scale to the size? And if it's based on class, is MB smaller than SS?

I think this is meant to be the nature of the class of weapon. I.E. LE and ME are small edges in the new skill.

No idea how SS and certain small pikes will work out though.

Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 02:22 PM CST
>>I think this is meant to be the nature of the class of weapon.

For a while it was talked about that minimum RT and such would be based on weight of the weapon itself and not just weapon class. Not sure if that bit made the cut or not, though.

~Leilond
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 03:03 PM CST
Oh! P.S. Any update on how the Stalk/Group mechanics fix is going? (So that someone who has STALKed you isn't immune to AOE attacks which are designed to hit everyone outside of your group)

~Leilond
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 03:26 PM CST
>>How small does a weapon need to be, is it determined by weapon class only or weight within that class? Is it a static 'small or not' thing or does it scale to the size? And if it's based on class, is MB smaller than SS?

I would assume it would scale with weight and be class independent. If it was based on class, there would be alot of descrepencies. like your SS example, SS and QS are being combined, so you would get the same benefit/penalty or whatever you would call it whether you were using a nightstick or a pike staff.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 03:29 PM CST
While other improvements seem to be getting made, I am hoping that backstabbing has a slight improvement maybe it was already improved in all of this just wasn't presented.

Backstab seems to be a parallel but different from combat attacks, the big annoyance for me, is most attacks will make your character do an auto advance to your enemy, but backstabbing from out of range, just advises you are out of range.

Could backstab follow the other attack options closer?

Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 03:56 PM CST
<<I would assume it would scale with weight and be class independent. If it was based on class, there would be alot of descrepencies. like your SS example, SS and QS are being combined, so you would get the same benefit/penalty or whatever you would call it whether you were using a nightstick or a pike staff.

I believe they said that the weapon type will not change, just the skill it trains. So for example, you would have something like these appraisals:

A short sword is a light edged melee-ranged weapon that relies on your skill with small edges.
A scimitar is a medium edged melee-ranged weapon that relies on your skill with small edges.
A nightstick is a short staff melee-ranged weapon that relies on your skill with staves.
A quarterstaff is a quarterstaff melee-ranged weapon that relies on your skill with staves.

That way they don't have to re-do all the various feats and abilities that rely on weapon skillset status or type of weapon, such as dual wielding or backstabbing.
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 04:00 PM CST
>>That way they don't have to re-do all the various feats and abilities that rely on weapon skillset status or type of weapon, such as dual wielding or backstabbing.

Ahh that makes at least more sense then, thanks for the clarification. I am still hoping it goes by weight though just so you have more benefit to using the lighter weapons of a class. Maybe breathe some new life into Glaes weapons.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 04:02 PM CST
<<Oh! P.S. Any update on how the Stalk/Group mechanics fix is going? (So that someone who has STALKed you isn't immune to AOE attacks which are designed to hit everyone outside of your group)>>

This should remain true. If you spot the person, you can disband them, right? If you don't spot them, they should get the benefit of the stalk. Or maybe a toggle that you can set to automatically "disband" stalkers from your AOE when you spot them. Stalking a battle leader is an important part of friendly team mechanics too.
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 04:08 PM CST
>>This should remain true. If you spot the person, you can disband them, right? If you don't spot them, they should get the benefit of the stalk. Or maybe a toggle that you can set to automatically "disband" stalkers from your AOE when you spot them. Stalking a battle leader is an important part of friendly team mechanics too.

Stalking should not equal grouping (even grouped while hidden) and that is what is hopefully changing. You shouldn't be able to stalk and bypass AOE skills, I don't think it was intentionally made that way.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 04:12 PM CST
> Quick question on the two-handed weapon/shield trade-off. Does this penalty apply just for wearing/holding a shield or only when the character is stanced to attempt to use the shield? In other words, can I keep my armworn shield on and just stance to parry while using my claymore (to use it without penalty), or do I need to take off the shield entirely?

Good question. For the sake of player convenience, it is based on how you are stanced. If you aren't trying to use the shield, it won't hinder you (beyond any standard burden hindrance to defenses, anyway). If you make any attempt whatsoever to use the shield while using a two-hander (ie stance for shield at all), you will be penalized.

I also want to remind folks that shield has penalized evasion in the past but no longer will in the new system, so the defense penalty is largely a wash. Instead, it will -only- impose a penalty when used in conjunction with a two-handed weapon, and yes, a few "two-handed" weapons will receive reduced penalty due to traditionally used in conjunction with shields -- short piercing pole arms, primarily (spears, javelins). I know this will be an unpopular change for some people, but there needs to be some drawbacks to using two-handers to offset their superior damage, and the most obvious one (aside from increasing the roundtime, which I think would be less popular) is to place limitations (not complete restrictions) on combining them with one of the best defenses.

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 04:14 PM CST
> Also, we players still think in terms of more gen, but with combat slowing down and getting swarmed being a death sentence (with retreat losing some effectiveness) it sounds like critter gen will actually need to be lowered across the board.

Which is precisely why I have been telling people since I started this rewrite to quit asking for gen increases since they might not live to regret it when I finish!

But yes, gen rates will probably need to be tweaked to some degree. Or people will need to actually KILL things instead of just dancing with as many as they can pile on. Or most likely a combination of both.

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 04:14 PM CST
> Did you mean to say Athleticism here?

I meant the "Skill formerly known as Swimming". :-D

- GM Dartenian

Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 04:23 PM CST
> Does one sort of negate the advantage of the other?

Yes and no.

The new combat system is intended to offer more strategic decisions without actually requiring them (for those of us who are just lazy). One of those strategic decisions is whether or not to build up a high balance and try to stay there (which flat-out means slowing down a bit and/or focusing on balance friendly but lighter attacks), or whether to build up a high balance, then machine-gun hard-hitting attacks back down to a lower balance level to do high burst damage under the best conditions.

- GM Dartenian

Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 04:33 PM CST
>>But yes, gen rates will probably need to be tweaked to some degree. Or people will need to actually KILL things instead of just dancing with as many as they can pile on. Or most likely a combination of both.

Geez, it's about time.
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 04:36 PM CST
<<Or people will need to actually KILL things instead of just dancing with as many as they can pile on.>>

Please tell me you will allow more than 4 to advance a person in 3.0. I yearn for the old days when my pole ranged weapon would hit 8 when I whirled.. 4 that were at melee and 4 that were at pole!

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Bit Player of M'Riss
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 04:47 PM CST
Thanks for those replies, Dart.

I guess my next question though would be about Backstab. Any insight you could give us on how that will be treated? It's a stealth skill like Hiding and Stalking but as it is now is more difficult and time-consuming and slower to train since I don't think it has the same contests as Hiding and Stalking. You have to hammer it for extended periods of time to get it to move at all.

Thieves have had to come up with some creative (lame) tricks to train it, like using weapons that do near-zero damage to make the critters last longer. Or even feinting and missing so one critter lasts forever. That never worked for me since Hiding would grab like 80% of the exp bits and Stalking and Backstab would crawl even slower. Plus that resulted in no boxes, which is anathema for a thief.

Also with stealth mojo being able to run out in the future so that we won't be able to work Backstab non-stop for nearly an hour, it will make it even more in need of serious changes. Anything further you could share at this point?

Kaxis

Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 05:39 PM CST
Thanks Dart, very good to hear that the 2-hand penalty situation will come from stancing and not just equipment. You mentioned that the penalty will not apply to some traditional 2-hand weapons. Is HX one of these? The primary advantage of xbow (shield use) is diminished in 3.0 because of the default "help" that the evasion only stance is getting. If, on top of this, HX is penalized for shield use (it's traditional advantage), I am not sure that weapon will viable unless it has some very, very, very strong, new upsides. Any spoilers?

<<Stalking should not equal grouping (even grouped while hidden) and that is what is hopefully changing. You shouldn't be able to stalk and bypass AOE skills>>

Why not? Frankly, I think the stalking skill is pretty pointless, and exceptionally easy to bypass/circumvent (Oh hai, you stalked me? I'll hide and sneak away, bye stalk. Or I'll just invis and run. Bye stalk). I think it's a nice niche that stalking, if unspotted, brings the stalker into the Target's group. All AOEs we're talking about have a potential "cast area/play loud" option if the caster really really needs to nuke an area for a stealther they can't see, right? As I said, I'd like to see a command, maybe like "point" whereby anyone in a group (upon a successful spot of the stalker) can "point" and push that stalker out of the group for the purposes of limited AOE.
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 06:19 PM CST
>I also want to remind folks that shield has penalized evasion in the past but no longer will in the new system, so the defense penalty is largely a wash. Instead, it will -only- impose a penalty when used in conjunction with a two-handed weapon, and yes, a few "two-handed" weapons will receive reduced penalty due to traditionally used in conjunction with shields -- short piercing pole arms, primarily (spears, javelins). I know this will be an unpopular change for some people, but there needs to be some drawbacks to using two-handers to offset their superior damage, and the most obvious one (aside from increasing the roundtime, which I think would be less popular) is to place limitations (not complete restrictions) on combining them with one of the best defenses.

Dartenian if I read this correctly you are saying that spears and javelins are essentially 2 handed and will receive some penalty when used with a shield?

If that is what you are saying I would ask that you reconsider as in my experience such weapons do not have any more damage dealing potential than a ME. Also spear/javelin and shield combo is a cornerstone of ancient warfare (Greek hoplites, Romans, numerous African civilisations, the Spartans, Assyrians... the list is long. I think that pikes and other pole ranged polearms should be classed as 2 handed.
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 07:23 PM CST
Dartenian, we all (for the most part) knew that the two-handed weapon and shield combination penalty was coming. My question is will their be a benifit to using a two-handed weapon? I understand that one can go parry stance, but I am leaning more toward the tradeoff of penalty vs gain, such as how bows currently work. They are the closest analogy I can think of when considering wearing a sheild and utilizing a weapon. When I read the small weapons having the best crit opportunities, that's when I was a little concerned. What will be the pro of wielding a two-handed weapon in 3.0?

You also see a shiny scorecard and a shiny scorecard.
Obvious paths: none.
> read scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Liurilias - 747"
> read other scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Zerreck - 2456"
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 07:28 PM CST
>When I read the small weapons having the best crit opportunities, that's when I was a little concerned. What will be the pro of wielding a two-handed weapon in 3.0?

Small weapons will have the best to-hit crits. Larger weapons will have the best damage crits. Larger weapons will also do more damage per hit.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 08:01 PM CST
Squanto along the lines of Danford.

It is to make LE and ME have more of a longevity for combat for 1-150th circles. My understanding is that currently lower circles see a lot more benefit with lighter weapons but at a certain point the power of hits is just too poignant of a benefit.

There is another thing besides that backstab that I was thinking about, which was Snipe, will it be more like vivisect, keeping your character concealed but not being as nasty in a PvP setting (giving some fairness in retrobution).

Further is there going to be a combat action that allows for more of a fencing style of manuevering yourself in a rush of 'feint' style attacks, that won't kill your balance but actually keep you balanced and possibly kill your opponents stance or balance? [Don't need to many specifics, but it was something I was hoping to emulate in game].
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 08:04 PM CST
>>All AOEs we're talking about have a potential "cast area/play loud" option if the caster really really needs to nuke an area for a stealther they can't see, right?

Wrong. People inside your group(Stalkers included if they STALK you) are immune to the CAST AREA/SONG LOUD feature. This is what I'm talking about that needs to change.

~Leilond
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 08:12 PM CST
I am curious to hear about backstab as well, although I think I am looking for something different than the other posters.

Things I want to know about but either missed or they were not addressed:

1. auto-retreat
2. backstab
3. snipe bonus
4. hiding

Madigan
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 08:21 PM CST
>>1. auto-retreat

In regard to retreat, will RETREAT work more like ADVANCE in that it will be a gradual thing, rather than how it is right now(teleportation)?

~Leilond
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 08:25 PM CST
I'm very curious about how weapon weight will affect things. Will RT be a smooth linear scaling? How about critical chance, or anything else affected by weapon size/weight?

I got to thinking about this when I saw the new hawkbill template. I was wondering, what makes the hawkbill (at 5-8 stones) truly better than the jambiya (18-20 stones) other than 10-15 stones of weight?

In sum: Assuming two weapons have identical stats otherwise, is there any advantage to one having lower weight other than slightly lower burden?

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 08:35 PM CST
>>Small weapons will have the best to-hit crits. Larger weapons will have the best damage crits. Larger weapons will also do more damage per hit.

>>* Small weapons have a higher chance of a positive critical roll.

The wording that Dart used sounds differnt than the wording you used. That was more what I was eluding to. Hey, I could be completely misreading it.

You also see a shiny scorecard and a shiny scorecard.
Obvious paths: none.
> read scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Liurilias - 747"
> read other scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Zerreck - 2456"
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 08:39 PM CST
Dart clarified somewhere else. There are a lot of threads everywhere including the Test folders, but he is right Squanto. Small weapons = higher to-hit "crit" roll, bigger weapons = higher damage "crit" roll.

~Leilond
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 08:40 PM CST
>>Please tell me you will allow more than 4 to advance a person in 3.0. I yearn for the old days when my pole ranged weapon would hit 8 when I whirled.. 4 that were at melee and 4 that were at pole!

I was under the impression that, in 3.0, you're not going to ever want 3+ mobs on you, because even the biggest baddest guy will start suffering, combat-wise, when getting overwhelmed.
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 09:00 PM CST
<<I know this will be an unpopular change for some people, >>

as a tert-weapon & tert-armor necromancer who has extensively trained both shield and 2he <i use a bastard sword which is bonded > I hatchu.

seriously, though, i'll survive. Off to train halberd....

:-)

Preces meae non sunt dignae;Sed tu bonus fac benigne;Ne perenni cremer igne [Dies Irae]
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 09:03 PM CST
<<Or people will need to actually KILL things instead of just dancing with as many as they can pile on>>

what about empaths, who pretty much have to do this to effectively learn, and do not have a complete construct critter-ladder?

Preces meae non sunt dignae;Sed tu bonus fac benigne;Ne perenni cremer igne [Dies Irae]
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 09:05 PM CST
>what about empaths

Empaths have plenty of options even against non-construct critters. GS, Manipulate, and Innocence if all else fails.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 09:13 PM CST

<<GS,Manipulate>>, yes. those kill critters. but you don't learn weapon ranks by using them. with the current system, you have to stance parry with critters to learn weapon ranks. And you only learn them by having them pile on.

I'm thinking specifically of the ranks in-between when one can hunt boggles and gargoyles, which are both constructs. Which includes roughly eel level to croc-level.

And ever watch two eels trying to kill each other with manipulate? its like watching paint dry.

Re: Combat 3.0 Update 02/05/2012 09:21 PM CST
>>I'm thinking specifically of the ranks in-between when one can hunt boggles and gargoyles, which are both constructs. Which includes roughly eel level to croc-level.

It's my understanding that, as part of 3.0, it'll be easier to create more critters. So the construct tree might fill up faster.
Prev_page Previous 1 3