Prev_page Previous 1
Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 04:36 PM CDT
Apparently gnomes have no racial weapon I could find. If imagine this would be like a bastard sword in general concept.

Swappable Weapon Template

Gnomish Knosa-Zaya (Quick-Spear)
Melee Quarterstaff
Pole Pike

This weapon consists of a famously-balanced shaft within which a long, slender, dual-edged, spring-loaded blade hides. Upon activation the blade springs out to add slice and pierce damage with associated messaging at the cost of balance.
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 04:42 PM CDT
>Apparently gnomes have no racial weapon I could find

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Weapon:Jewel-hilted_Gnomish_long_blade_incised_with_a_blood_channel

and Tisks wagon has some weapons, though perhaps not what one would consider a "racial" weapon.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Tisk%27s_Wagon_(4)

A brief, unbidden thought crosses your mind that you just implicated yourself and Anjinson in the murder of Terald Sanfala. You wonder if anyone will notice.
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 04:42 PM CDT
Perhaps instead of swapping template like a bastie, the blade could spring out and retract pre and post strike automatically, the blade snapping out for THRUST and SLICE type commands and staying a staff with BASH type. Perhaps this would be like adding that odd +Slice/+Pierce type brawling damage to a staff? I don't know; just tossing stuff out. Heh. Even just a bastie-type forging template would be really awesome.
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 04:43 PM CDT

Oh at least its the same type of cultural design, then. Thanks! Any thoughts on the staff/spear?
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 04:46 PM CDT

Oh and I call first dibs on the first one Caraamon makes. :P
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 05:53 PM CDT
>Any thoughts on the staff/spear?

My Gnome uses a cane. I have no dog in this fight.

But, as a side-note, I'm always in favor of more swapping-style weapons. Having two weapons for the price of one is always a neat feature.

A brief, unbidden thought crosses your mind that you just implicated yourself and Anjinson in the murder of Terald Sanfala. You wonder if anyone will notice.
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 06:19 PM CDT

Without the curved end, yeah, pretty close. Heh. I also developed this for a few reasons:

- Gnomish mechanical affinity without breaking genre by using a spring-loaded blade. Surprise!

- Balance is a gnome's best friend [IMO]. A straight column can be made pretty darn balanced.

- ICly, this weapon has reach. Obvious advantages here ;)

- In an RP I'm doing gnomes once fought shapeshifters [Ocular] and developed a cultural affinity for adaptable weapons (pole to grapple, swappable damage types). I figured even without the RP gnomish culture would value adaptability.
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 06:24 PM CDT
>>In an RP I'm doing gnomes once fought shapeshifters [Ocular] and developed a cultural affinity for adaptable weapons (pole to grapple, swappable damage types). I figured even without the RP gnomish culture would value adaptability.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Weapon:Dull_steel_staecklumba

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 07:04 PM CDT
>Without the curved end, yeah, pretty close. Heh. I also developed this for a few reasons:

A cane is not a walking stick, as most people think. In combat terms, it's a short staff, of varying lengths.

Imagine it as the weapon used in Filipino martial arts, like a kali/escrima stick.

>This weapon consists of a famously-balanced shaft within which a long, slender, dual-edged, spring-loaded blade hides. Upon activation the blade springs out to add slice and pierce damage with associated messaging at the cost of balance.

There are other weapons which do this (there is a bladed cane in DR, but it's lackluster). I don't know that the 'mechanical' hidden/spring blade would really fly in DR, most of the weapon tech is old, and we don't have the tech to really do that currently.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 07:15 PM CDT
I forgot about those kali sticks, right. Thanks. Do you mean game engine tech or Elanthian tech? We have repeating crossbows and explosive box traps but not a spring loaded blade in a shaft? Its not even a complex machine, really, just mostly a spring. As far as the game engine goes I figure its just like the other swappable weapon templates just with its own SWAP messaging.
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 07:41 PM CDT
<<There are other weapons which do this (there is a bladed cane in DR, but it's lackluster). I don't know that the 'mechanical' hidden/spring blade would really fly in DR, most of the weapon tech is old, and we don't have the tech to really do that currently.

There are several examples of mechanical hidden/spring blades in game already, although I'm not sure of their relative IC rarity. Crafting one, however, would make use of the Tinkering discipline in the Engineering skill to at least some degree I assume.
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 09:16 PM CDT
>>There are several examples of mechanical hidden/spring blades in game already, although I'm not sure of their relative IC rarity. Crafting one, however, would make use of the Tinkering discipline in the Engineering skill to at least some degree I assume.<<

So Rob you're saying we can't craft one?

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 09:23 PM CDT
Go troll/forum stalk someone else. Preferably someone whose name is actually Rob.
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 09:32 PM CDT
<<Go troll/forum stalk someone else. Preferably someone whose name is actually Rob.>>

That's so rob.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 09:50 PM CDT
>There are several examples of mechanical hidden/spring blades in game already, although I'm not sure of their relative IC rarity. Crafting one, however, would make use of the Tinkering discipline in the Engineering skill to at least some degree I assume.

As far as I'm aware, the 'hidden' blades are all fixed blades which swing out. Like pocket knives (indeed, the faldenblades are...large pocket knives). What NRAY was proposing was a weapon with a hidden blade which was spring (or otherwise) actuated to pop out, like a jack in the box, at least how I read it.

>Do you mean game engine tech or Elanthian tech?

The game engine would see another swappable weapon. I meant actual weapon technology in DR. You have to bear in mind that there is a reason you don't see any weaponry like you're suggesting in real life, for actual combat use. It would be incredibly delicate, which basically translates to 'going to break all the dang time' for what really amounts to an odd bit of flair. The only reason I mention it is, DR has gone to painstaking lengths to only create 'realistic' weapons. Repeating crossbows are actually existent, from roughly something close to DR's time frame. Same goes for explosives, naphtha, and similar things. Generally speaking, we can make blunt weaponry which extends, and is functional in an extended position (asps, and similar expandable batons) for concealment. But it's difficult veering into impossible to create something that is functional as a tiny weapon and a full sized one.

Now, your suggestion here, was a staff/spear. Some of those exist, and are quest end-prizes. It's strictly the 'hidden blade' mechanism I was looking at going 'maybe not so much in DR?'. Remember that a slice/stab blade at the end of a 5 foot stick needs to be incredibly sturdy and well fixed, otherwise it's simply going to sheer off, or otherwise malfunction.

Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 10:02 PM CDT
I was going to point out https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Weapon:Bejeweled_silver_scepter but rereading it's action text, it does seem more fold out than spring loaded.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 10:07 PM CDT
<<As far as I'm aware, the 'hidden' blades are all fixed blades which swing out.

I could swear there are some wrist blades or daggers or something which 'snick' out when activated just like that staff you mentioned... but I can't find them on elanthipedia.
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 10:27 PM CDT
>I could swear there are some wrist blades or daggers or something which 'snick' out when activated just like that staff you mentioned... but I can't find them on elanthipedia.

This?

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor:Iron_gauntlets_deeply_engraved_with_stylized_lions

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 10:31 PM CDT

I thought there was some too but okay if you want it to be a staff that's a huge pocket knife okay. lol. Foldout would work I guess. Lets face it, though, it would be a point of gnomish pride to keep that thing in repair. ;) There are durable metals, anyway, all over the place in elanthia so the spring and such would be okay. I don't think its all that advanced, like a little lever or something or just push it back in hard to click it back into place. These are gnomes, here. So yeah, like a gnomish-staff-sized (4.5ft long, 2'' round?) switchblade with a 1.5'' to 1' triangular blade about 1/5' to 2' long to both stab and slice with at the cost of balance and, as noted, a durability hit in the template. Is this even feasible, I wonder? Forgable-ness, I guess? :p
I would like to incorporate Engineering skill as a confound/bonus, too some kind of way. That makes total sense. Perhaps REPAIR STAFF uses engineering and REPAIR BLADE uses forging?
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 10:50 PM CDT
<<This?
<<https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor:Iron_gauntlets_deeply_engraved_with_stylized_lions

Those aren't what I was thinking of, although those might qualify as spring loaded. It's not clear what the mechanism is behind the claws with those gauntlets. I can't get the image of Wolverine out of my head with those though. :)

The ones I'm thinking of were of a sneaky style where they strap to your wrist. Although it's possible I may just be thinking of a sheath with a special wield verb. This sheath isn't what I was thinking of since it's darts only, but it might be something along these lines: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Item:Inconspicuous_embossed_leather_wrist_sheath
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 10:56 PM CDT
Wasn't there a walking stick a long time ago where you turned the head and a pokey blade popped out the bottom? Not that it matters this is a text game where we have a giant Wild Wild West walking mechanical spider and moonlight light sabers.

Gnomes have devious minds and small hands good for all sorts of things. I'm sure they can come up with spring loaded blades too.

Vote:
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 10:56 PM CDT
Those are both pretty neat. Its nice to have precedents. I do enjoy the swappable weapon template concept, though, and the REPAIR QUARTERSTAFF/REPAIR BLADE option would be a really nice trick! :) I'm willing to sacrifice durability and repair costs for this.
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 10:59 PM CDT
Aren't razor traps spring loaded?

Also, I don't think springs are out of character for Elanthia. Elanthia already has steampunk technology so a spring is manageable.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 11:06 PM CDT
The traps that fire a projectile at you like the bolt trap and cyanide trap are spring loaded for sure. I'm not sure what the mechanism behind the scythe trap is specifically, though. It's still a swinging action caused by the release of tension rather than a forward movement. Whether that tension is from a spring is what I don't know.
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 11:13 PM CDT
Oh there is tension. It is loaded, so to speak. The gnome pushes a button to release the spring's tension and thus the blade. Later, just stick it in the ground and lean into it to hide it.

Also, what do you think of "Repair Staff = Engineering + Repair Blade = Forging"? Fun? Feasable?
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 11:32 PM CDT
My point wasn't 'springs don't work in DR' but 'that weapon doesn't work in DR because reasons'. But whatever, I don't really care that much, just bored on a saturday night posting, I'll stop.

Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 11:34 PM CDT
If the staecklumba is something that can be used in combat without being overly worried about the mechanism breaking, I'd imagine something involving springs could be made to work through Gnomish ingenuity and all that. The expanding and collapsing messages for the staecklumba seem to indicate that it has built in hydraulics or something, which would probably more complex than something spring-loaded. (For reference: You give your steel staecklumba a few quick shakes and it quickly grows with a quiet hiss to its full length.) A piercing blade seems like it would be easier to make structurally sound than something for slashing, though.

- Miskton
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/07/2014 11:59 PM CDT
You're right. Thanks for the support! Perhaps it should be single-edged to incorporate slashing of some degree? Adaptability is a main theme here.
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/08/2014 12:46 AM CDT
I'd also like to add that so far I've been more than fine with reading all your posts, Krooner. I don't want to give the impression that I want anyone to stop getting involved with the game like this.
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/08/2014 03:16 AM CDT
I'd like to add that while technological advancements are really, really thematic for gnomes, I'm a little leery of introducing too much into DR. I love steampunk, for example, but I don't think it really has a place in Dragonrealms. The last thing we need is to eventually have gnomes flying around in zeppelins and creating steam trains to run between the cities. I suppose it could be possible to do without totally ruining the atmosphere of the game, but it'd have to have a hell of a lot more teeth than other games which have done similar things.

Gnomes (and inventions/tech) as a whole should not become comic relief. It's very easy to go down that path once the can is opened (yay mixing metaphors!) and I hate to see that happen.
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/08/2014 03:34 AM CDT
<<The last thing we need is to eventually have gnomes flying around in zeppelins

Umm, hate to break it to you but that boundary has been crossed years ago.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Airship
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/08/2014 04:05 AM CDT
Bah, I thought I remembered hearing something about that.

Well, the floodgates are really open now, aren't they? XD
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/08/2014 05:38 AM CDT
Giant. Mechanical. Spider.

Also P5 is WAY more technologically advanced then I think most people realize. Stop and read the room descriptions in Hibarnhvidar sometime, they have electricity.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/08/2014 05:39 AM CDT
Don't forget the Carousels too. Those things are mechanical monstrosities.
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/08/2014 11:09 AM CDT
>Giant. Mechanical. Spider.

Before the spider there was a dragon. A giant mechanical dragon. That really flew. And always seemed to break down around Crossings.

Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/08/2014 11:16 AM CDT
LMAO yeah and I'm talking about a spring in a shaft! [There's a joke in there somewhere, I bet.] I will say that after talking to a few DR friends about they tell me it would be pretty cool to use in terms of niche, pretty fun to watch used with the SWAP message, and, after about a half dozen conversations or so, none have stated a worry about the Knosa-Zaya becoming the next Gatling Gun. Gnomes don't have a lot in the way of racial things yet and I think this particular design suits both gnomish needs and gnomish culture well if I may say so. Besides... don't you think that 'Knosa-Zaya' at least has a ring to it? :p

P.S. I caught that 'can' line, mister! lol
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/08/2014 11:26 AM CDT
I'd also like to share that the 'spring = engineering + weapon = forging' concept in the same item has gone over really well so far. Is this even possible?
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/08/2014 11:40 AM CDT
<<Is this even possible?

The idea is that you will be able to make parts for one system via another, so yes. A large part of the Enchanting system will rely on this fact, for example. Artistry too relies almost entirely on interaction with other disciplines.
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/08/2014 01:13 PM CDT

Ah, good. I like the idea of Sylvaeus learning Engineering by bending over a workbench and tinkering with his Knosa-Zaya to clean the gore from the springs and keep the weapon functioning smoothly followed by learning Forging by repairing the spear blade and most parts of the quarterstaff itself.
Re: Gnomish Knosa-Zaya 06/08/2014 05:12 PM CDT
Currently pewter ingots are smelted for use in alchemy, blacksmiths create tools for each discipline, tailors make padding for use in armor and straps for use in shields, and so on. There's already a lot of interdependency built in to the crafting we currently have. Or ... it would be interdependent if you couldn't just buy all that stuff from the crafting societies directly anyway. :) Still, it's there! For us to use!
Prev_page Previous 1