Prev_page Previous 1 3
Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/04/2014 05:17 PM CDT
I've heard heavy plate on anyone not a Paladin is bad, but just how bad is it? Assuming I'm not really going to be on the cutting edge of combat and won't be PvPing(when avoidable), is it really that prohibitive? I want my Cleric to wear heavy plate for RP reasons, but if it's going to seriously screw me up in combat I can stick with chain.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/04/2014 07:38 PM CDT
>>Cardinale01: I've heard heavy plate on anyone not a Paladin is bad, but just how bad is it? Assuming I'm not really going to be on the cutting edge of combat and won't be PvPing(when avoidable), is it really that prohibitive? I want my Cleric to wear heavy plate for RP reasons, but if it's going to seriously screw me up in combat I can stick with chain.

The GMs say that it's supposed to be viable, but players often say that the added hindrance can outweigh the added protection. Plate-wearing Warrior Mages, in particular, have complained about the hindrance now that the Y'ntrel Sechra spell doesn't reduce hindrance.

How much of a budget do you have for armor? You could just try out different options. Some sellers may even let you try out different items and exchange them if they don't work for you.

For forged plate, the lightest, least hindering style is "light plate." The lightest, least hindering style of plate helm (for the head, eyes, and neck) is the sallet. I don't see a lot of light plate in stores, so you might want to speak with an armorsmith.

If you don't want to do 100% plate, another option is to go with brigandine (what used to be known as "light plate" in 2.0). For forged brigandine, the lightest, least hindering style is "scale."

If you go with chain, I would recommend ring (the lightest, least hindering type).

All forged (player-made) metal armor can be enhanced in the following ways:

tempered (increases durability/construction)
lightened (decreases weight but not protection or hindrance)
reinforced (increases protection, weight, and hindrance)

For an armor-tert, especially just starting out, I would recommend tempering and lightening. (The same item cannot be both lightened and reinforced; you can only temper and lighten or temper and reinforce.)

Lumium is a good metal to use if you can afford it, because it protects as well as steel but is lighter.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/08/2014 10:35 PM CDT
>I'm not really going to be on the cutting edge of combat and won't be PvPing

If you add "I don't train stealth" to the above, you'll be absolutely fine with a full suit of plate... at least until ~700 ranks and then you'll realize the extra hindrance is making it very difficult to effectively do at-level combat.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/08/2014 10:42 PM CDT
Honestly, my WM at around 150-200 in HP was really hurting. Like many things, it's 'doable', but I think you're probably better off stepping down to brig/chain.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/08/2014 11:18 PM CDT
Having recentlyish branched out into guilds other than Paladin, what I'm having trouble understanding is why anyone would use chain or brig. I'm probably just not understanding something, but it seems as if the choice really just boils down to whether you're doing a stealth/evasion build (the lightest light armor you can find) or a stamina heavy build (the heaviest plate you can find.) Going for chain or brig seems like a middle of the road sort of thing - but this means you won't be hiding as well. For training purposes it's almost certainly fine, sure, but in a tough fight, why gimp your stealth for extra protection if you're not going to get as much protection out of the deal as you can?
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/08/2014 11:18 PM CDT
To give you an idea.

In plate, well past the point where I can't learn from them anymore (I can't even hit 1/34 mindstate-wise), Dragon Priest Zealots can still kill me.
In chain, which was 300 ranks below my plate at the time I started training it, I was almost entirely uninjured after hours.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/08/2014 11:27 PM CDT
<In plate, well past the point where I can't learn from them anymore (I can't even hit 1/34 mindstate-wise), Dragon Priest Zealots can still kill me.
<In chain, which was 300 ranks below my plate at the time I started training it, I was almost entirely uninjured after hours.

Interesting. I'm assuming this is a result of the plate hindrance penalty, which must be steep enough to permanently punish armor terts such that the extra protection isn't worth the penalty (even at max ranks) while allowing armor primaries to work it down to the point where it's actually beneficial to wear plate. Is that about close to the mark?

If so, then I wonder if armor secondaries are best off in chain/brig. Again, I fully expect that I'm not understanding something here, but your reply at least has me pointed in what I hope is the right direction.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/08/2014 11:44 PM CDT
It is more than just the evasion penalty. 9 times out of 10 I dont take damage while in plate. The problem is that new thing where you basically autostun if hit somewhere you are injured already. Even against things so trivial I can't learn from them, that happens. No big deal, right? Retreat and get healed. Well, plate means I fail at retreating. I get stuck there and die the death of a thousand paper cuts. It seems backwards that even outclassing like that, I take more damage per HIT with plate because my defenses mitigate less - enough to far outweigh the extra protection and absorb. My chain appraises pretty close to my plate (1-2 levels of protect less, 3 levels of absorb less) as far as protection goes. I am four levels of hindrance above minimum in the chain. I am more than double that hindrance in plate. I could elect to wear superlight plate that goes for minimum hindrance, but at that point my chain protects better and STILL hinders significantly less.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/08/2014 11:52 PM CDT
Number data for reference:

425 plate is whe I began backtraining Chain from 80 ranks. Chain is now 425ish. Other defenses from 540-580, no hindrance. Zealots are a 350-375 range critter and stop teaching completely around 450 in 3.1.

Zealots still can drop me due to accumulation of wounds coupled with inability to retreat.

No burden.

70 reflex.

Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/08/2014 11:59 PM CDT
Sorry for another post but wanted to add that with my defenses all around 425 when I swapped to chain which I only had 80 ranks or so in, I immediately saw a huge survivability boost. Before that, I didn't think plate was so bad and stuck with it out of a combination of character concept of a plate wm, stubbornness, and not wanting to backtrain. After coming into a defent set of chain, I tried it for an hour and immediately wondered how I was putting up with plate for so long. It was night and day and the change immediately resulted in the game being more enjoyable. Sucks to give up the character concept, but after seeing the difference, I can't bring myself to do it anymore. The fun disparity is huge.

Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/09/2014 12:20 AM CDT
<no hindrance.

No hindrance? I was under the impression that armor tert guilds probably couldn't reduce chain to zero hindrance. I've even questioned whether they can reduce light armor to zero hindrance, but haven't found anyone who knows the answer yet.

Also, I had assumed that inability to retreat, much like inability to swim, was tied into hindrance.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/09/2014 12:38 AM CDT
>>Stellarmagus: No hindrance? I was under the impression that armor tert guilds probably couldn't reduce chain to zero hindrance. I've even questioned whether they can reduce light armor to zero hindrance, but haven't found anyone who knows the answer yet.

If you are wearing armor, you have >0% hindrance.

"The range formerly known as 'unhindered' now will only be shown if you are actually unhindered. That is if you aren't wearing any armor. The range between this point and insignificant is now redefined as 'minimally hindered'. Also, as insignificant hinderance was a very, very tiny range, we have let it creap slightly into the area previously known as 'unhindered'." --GM Oolan (4/15/2009)

See also: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Post:Armor_--_Neglect_Training_at_your_Peril_-_12/23/2009_-_19:20:37

If you are trying to optimize defense, lighter armors are better for armor-terts. If you are really devoted to a different character concept, light versions of heavier armors may be doable, but full plate is basically "hard mode" for armor-terts.

See: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Post:HP_on_Armor_Terts_-_12/02/2012_-_13:58

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/09/2014 06:58 AM CDT
Truth be told plate is tough on armor seconds. I can't imagine its great on a tert.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/09/2014 07:24 AM CDT
Here's the deal: If you want to do stealth, light armor is your go-to. You can make it as heavy and hindering as chain. If you're not doing stealth, chain is probably your ideal mixture of hindrance and protection, and can vary from as light/hindering as cloth, to super-dense.

Stepping up to brig/plate tends to simple overkill issues which inevitably are not compensated for with its protection after a few hundred ranks.

Light, chain, and HP all have good niches. Brig...I have no clue, aside from people looking to train multiple armors for TDPs, there's no reason for Brig, even armor secondaries are too penalized in it, plus as far as I can remember off the top of my head, the armor secondaries are also survival prime/second, which means they will probably have a strong interest in hiding.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/09/2014 09:40 AM CDT
<<Having recentlyish branched out into guilds other than Paladin, what I'm having trouble understanding is why>> <<anyone would use chain or brig. I'm probably just not understanding something, but it seems as if the choice>> <<really just boils down to whether you're doing a stealth/evasion build (the lightest light armor you can find)>>
<<or a stamina heavy build (the heaviest plate you can find.) Going for chain or brig seems like a middle of the>> <<road sort of thing - but this means you won't be hiding as well. For training purposes it's almost certainly>>
<<fine, sure, but in a tough fight, why gimp your stealth for extra protection if you're not going to get as much>> <<protection out of the deal as you can?>>

It's because you can evade better with lighter weight armors. For those that don't want to or need to train stealth, chain or brig is a good middle of the road. Decent protection and decent evasion. Throw a small-medium shield in the mix at level and you're pretty well protected. You can't take as much damage as you could in HP, but you'll get hit lot less and the hits are not as damaging most of the time.

Bluefalcon
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/09/2014 01:44 PM CDT
>Here's the deal: If you want to do stealth, light armor is your go-to. You can make it as heavy and hindering as chain. If you're not doing stealth, chain is probably your ideal mixture of hindrance and protection, and can vary from as light/hindering as cloth, to super-dense.

This. My interpretation of posts and my experience in player combat tell me the following:

For better or worse, plate is paladin armor in the current iteration of the game. The added protection/absorption isn't enough to offset the hindrance penalty through the life of an armor tertiary character. My own anecdotal experience in player combat confirms this for me. I have a MUCH harder time hitting an armor tert PC in plate with ~100 ranks higher shield/parry/evasion/armor skill than an armor tert PC in chain. Another way to put it is I might give the first guy a decent fight if I play my hand perfectly, but I don't stand a chance against the second guy. Yeah, that's PvP but PvE works the same as PvP.

The good(?) news is armor doesn't do anything right now aside from protecting you anyway and the differences between metal armors isn't a chasm. I don't even know the point of brig unless it's to make a tiny skill set a tiny bit bigger; it has a lot of overlap with plate and chain. Chain is good, really good and it gives you a big window of protection to play with from light to heavy as your character grows. Barriers more than make up the difference between chain and plate and while I understand changes will be made to barriers, I doubt they'll go away entirely. Right now MPP+MAF+Chain >>> Plate and you can easily tack on AA if you steal it from a paladin.

All that said, I would still recommend training all armors by just using little accessories and armor swapping. The game may change to where plate is an option in the future or does more stuff (active armor?) to warrant the high hindrance cost for armor tertiary guilds.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/09/2014 02:12 PM CDT
Also doesn't skein of shadows work well on brig for rangers? I can't remember if that lowers both maneuvering and stealth hinderance or just stealth hinderance..

Vote:
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/09/2014 02:17 PM CDT
Stealth hindrance + armor skill.

And, yes, it does work reasonable well on Brig.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/09/2014 02:25 PM CDT
I need to correct myself...

>I have a MUCH harder time hitting an armor tert PC in plate with ~100 ranks higher shield/parry/evasion/armor skill than an armor tert PC in chain.

I meant easier not harder.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/20/2014 08:56 PM CDT
Just for numbers sake, armor terts cannot train light armor down to no hindrance. At least I have not hit that mark yet.

>Light Armor: 1019 61% Mindlocked (34/34)

>If you were only wearing an insulated robe your maneuvering would be minimally (2/14) hindered and your stealth would be minimally (2/14) hindered.
>But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently insignificantly (3/14) hindered and your stealth is insignificantly (3/14) hindered.

Took off my shield and chain sleeves just to show. (all titanese by the way)

>>i armor

All of your armor:

an insulated robe
an insulated mask
an insulated hood
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/20/2014 09:00 PM CDT
>Just for numbers sake, armor terts cannot train light armor down to no hindrance.

As far as I'm aware, no guild can completely negate all hindrance, no matter what they're wearing.

It's a % based system.

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/20/2014 09:09 PM CDT
>As far as I'm aware, no guild can completely negate all hindrance, no matter what they're wearing.

Right, I think I used the tern too loosely, what I meant is minimum that say a ranger can train it down to. I am no complaining mind you all, I think it should be this way honestly. I just wish we had our old tools back to mitigate some of this hindrance. Since it has changed though I will deal.

I put on my shield and I stay at insignificant hindrance, I throw on my mail sleeves with it (996 in chain armor) and it jumps to somewhat hindering, throw on my light plate sleeves (496 HP armor) and it goes up into the moderately hindered area, and also caused me several deaths in the last few days just changing my sleeves in an area I normally have no issues.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/21/2014 12:57 PM CDT
What in the heck kind of sleeves are those? On an armor tert MM, I'm at light hinderance with just shield and chain shirt, and the targe is slightly higher hinderance than most terts would use (appraisal below) and a chain shirt should be fair more hindering than any chain sleeves.

Also, rangers are armor secondary but I might be misinterpreting what you were trying to say about them.

In my experience testing armor, and I've tried very, very, very hard to check all the armor possibilities for terts, the best you can hope for is generally light evasion hinderance on chain.

You are certain that it imposes minor (4/15) maneuvering hindrance.

This shield is small in size.

Your experience with shields allows a better appraisal of the protection capabilities.

You are certain that the targe offers very poor (4/26) to moderately good (11/26) protection.

Moon Mages are totally Jedi. -Raesh
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 07/21/2014 01:15 PM CDT
>I put on my shield and I stay at insignificant hindrance, I throw on my mail sleeves with it (996 in chain armor) and it jumps to somewhat hindering, throw on my light plate sleeves (496 HP armor) and it goes up into the moderately hindered area, and also caused me several deaths in the last few days just changing my sleeves in an area I normally have no issues.

>What in the heck kind of sleeves are those?

Those are sleeves that are penalized by armor mixing, is what they are.

Don't forget to vote:

Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 09/20/2014 03:16 PM CDT
After spending a few nights plotting all the numbers, I've made some recommendations for improvements. Furthermore, I am working on incorporating some aspects of armor hindrance into the fumble/recover mechanics, to diversify and expand the way in which armor can modify combat.

The bigger change I am hoping for is an adjustment to armor mixing. I was shocked by just how bad the penalty is :(

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 09/20/2014 09:52 PM CDT
I'd love to see the armor mixing penalty apply to exp rather than hinderance so that people could wear whatever armor they wanted for looks/rp but a piecemeal setup wouldn't necessarily be ideal for exp.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 09/21/2014 12:53 AM CDT
>>Drscott: I'd love to see the armor mixing penalty apply to exp rather than hinderance so that people could wear whatever armor they wanted for looks/rp but a piecemeal setup wouldn't necessarily be ideal for exp.

I'm curious how many people actually wear a mixed setup for looks/RP. My understanding is that the majority of players are only wearing multiple armor types to get extra TDPs. Even without the mixing penalty to hindrance, they would rather wear a single type of armor if they didn't feel like they were shooting themselves in the foot by foregoing TDPs. (I know my Paladin would be wearing all plate all the time, both for RP and mechanics.)

My guess is that unless you limited how many armor types could be learned at once, no matter how less efficient it was, most people would keep wearing a mixed setup. (As long as you can keep your experience pools above 2/34, you're learning as quickly as possible. Having a full pool only matters when you stop training and let your skills drain.)

Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 09/21/2014 09:50 AM CDT
<<I'm curious how many people actually wear a mixed setup for looks/RP.>>

Well I for one do it for practical reasons. I got tired of hits giving me stuns on my hands and head while wearing an all leather setup. Went to forged chain on hands and head. Cut my stuns to those areas by at least 50%. The TDP's are nice but not why I did it.

Bluefalcon
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 09/21/2014 06:18 PM CDT
>I'm curious how many people actually wear a mixed setup for looks/RP.

Probably not that many with the current penalties.

>Well I for one do it for practical reasons. I got tired of hits giving me stuns on my hands and head while wearing an all leather setup. Went to forged chain on hands and head. Cut my stuns to those areas by at least 50%. The TDP's are nice but not why I did it.

This was extremely common before the penalty to mixed armor was added. I like options like this. I'd like the option to go heavy on vitals (chain, brig) and light on non-vitals. I'd like an option besides full body cloth or chain.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 09/21/2014 10:01 PM CDT
>>Drscott: This was extremely common before the penalty to mixed armor was added. I like options like this. I'd like the option to go heavy on vitals (chain, brig) and light on non-vitals. I'd like an option besides full body cloth or chain.

I wonder if it would be an option to only add a mixing penalty for wearing 3-4 armors, so that you wouldn't be penalized for wearing one heavier type of armor on the vitals and one lighter type of armor everywhere else.

Personally, I think the hindrance from the heavier armor itself is enough of a cost without adding the mixing penalty on top, but I understand if they want to create a mechanical disincentive for training 3-4 types of armor simultaneously.

Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 10/08/2014 01:14 AM CDT
As armor tert, I've been interested in these threads, although I'm late in joining in. I wanted to find out more about the troubles people are having. A post by Illiena in another thread got me thinking about this again.

When you see the higher hindrance on a mixed or all plate setup, do you just figure it's too high and reject it without testing? Or, how many see that it's high but go test it anyway?

I'm asking because I went to a mixed setup early on, and even though I'm very hindered it's worked well for me. As long as I hunt truly at level and don't try to go up to the next creature too early, I usually leave hunting with only a handful of scuffs at most. Retreating isn't an issue. I do use shadows for hiding.

Mixed setup:

- But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently very hindered and your stealth is somewhat hindered.

Plate torso/Brigandine head/hands/legs setup:

- But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently rather hindered and your stealth is very hindered.

(for testing only) Massive Plate from Dirge/Brigandine head/hands (I don't have plate head/hands):

- But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently highly hindered and your stealth is highly hindered.

I tested all these setups on an at-level critter, and only in the massive plate did I get more frequent scuffs. Bobbing for balance dropped this way down though. The first two setups didn't offer any trouble.

I'm wondering if these are typical of hindrances most people see? I've never used damite or fancy quest plate; I'm guessing those might have much higher hindrances. The widespread problems people are having with a mixed setup does baffle me though.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 10/08/2014 02:30 AM CDT
>The widespread problems people are having with a mixed setup does baffle me though.

I've tried it. It works ok at lower ranks. I don't think it's a good choice at later ranks.

On my last character, I went mixed armor until about 300 ranks. The thing is, not only is the overall hinderance high but the penalty hinderance stacked on top makes it difficult. Especially considering armor tert guilds tend to have evasion as secondary or higher (sorry Bards).

While it's more work, swapping out accessory pieces like greaves is a much better choice from a survivability standpoint.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 10/08/2014 02:48 AM CDT
<<(sorry Bards, Clerics, and Warrior Mages).

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 10/08/2014 04:21 AM CDT
Well, I am aware of those hindrance issues. That's why I wanted to know more about other people's hindrances.

Moon mage here, and it's just a mystery to me since I have more ranks than what you described but none of the combat problems using my mixed setup, even against creatures that app solid/difficult for me. I never really thought about the armor mixing penalty until people started complaining about it.

Next for me are malchata, goblins, giants, head-splitters, etc. My curiosity is up now, so I'll keep track and watch for exactly how issues develop using my mixed armors as I go up the ladder.

<<(sorry Bards, Clerics, and Warrior Mages).

(sorry Moon Mages, Bards, Clerics, and Warrior Mages).
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 10/08/2014 06:41 AM CDT
I have done pretty extensive testing on this to desperately find a way to be a WM viable in plate since I was plate primary before these changes and do not train multiple armors. The closest it came to being viable was a superlight lumium set of plate, which protected about like some high end chain but ultimately hindered lots more than the chain. In the end it was less trouble to backtrain for 400 ranks than it was to hunt in plate since as a WM being tert in evasion and armor skills, I didn't really have the defense padding needed to just deal with it. It would be closer to doable today with the autostancing but it still isn't enough.

Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 10/08/2014 07:19 AM CDT
>Moon mage here, and it's just a mystery to me since I have more ranks than what you described but none of the combat problems using my mixed setup, even against creatures that app solid/difficult for me. I never really thought about the armor mixing penalty until people started complaining about it.

I have a feeling that if you stopped using any broken magic barriers (MAF, etc.) you'd find it a lot more difficult to survive.

I also suspect that if you stopped using barriers and buffs, got a baseline status, and then swapped to a low hindrance setup of only chain, you'd see drastic differences.

But what do I know, my characters are all below 300 ranks.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 10/08/2014 09:02 AM CDT
>When you see the higher hindrance on a mixed or all plate setup, do you just figure it's too high and reject it without testing? Or, how many see that it's high but go test it anyway?

>I'm asking because I went to a mixed setup early on, and even though I'm very hindered it's worked well for me. As long as I hunt truly at level and don't try to go up to the next creature too early, I usually leave hunting with only a handful of scuffs at most. Retreating isn't an issue.

Speaking about purely mechanics and optimization (not RP choices) I try to minimize the mixing penalty and the hindrance penalty because they're just that, penalties. From a mechanical stand point, I want to train all types of armor on my character so I choose the option that allows me to do so with as little penalties to my defense as possible. There's no reason for my character to walk around with 4 different types of armor on at the same time and be a sitting duck when I can easily swap out greaves and learn just as well.

The choice is as simple to me as learning a skill like Plate Armor with somewhat hindrance as opposed to very/rather hindered. Both will teach me plate, the latter will just cause more wounds to get hurt much faster.

Mixed armor works if you don't spend any significant time in combat or you're lazy and don't want to have to swap armor pieces periodically. If you're running into a hunting area, locking a few skills and getting out in 20-30 minutes then a full mixed set may be perfectly fine. For extended sessions the trade off is having to leave combat early to get healed when you can extend your hunting sessions by reducing your overall hindrance and only putting yourself in a position to have the highest possible hindrance for as short of time as possible.

This is why I tend to wear a full set of cloth armor, and only put on non cloth greaves when my armor skills in their respective fields drop below a certain mind state. For the remainder of my time I'll have full cloth on.

Amiron says, "Even a mute would have said something about this amount of people being about."
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 10/08/2014 05:24 PM CDT
Speaking for as someone that hunts lava drakes and cabalists in a mixed leather, chain and brig setup while being rather hindered I can you that the mixing penalty becomes more apparent when you defenses reach the 4-digit point. I dont mind running to get healed every couple of hours or so but thats not my issuse, I'm more conflicted from a PvP standpoint.

Right now brig is my highest armor skill thats around 1060 and in all brig I'm moderately hindered, I do have an all nightmare leather setup that leaves me lightly hindered but I only have 740 in light armor. When I'm fighting people in those setups I dont see much of a trade off between the 2 sets. In the lighter setup I dodge and block better but it hurts ALOT more when I get hit, with my brig setup I get hit more but it doesnt hurt nearly as much compared to the lighter armor and I last longer too.

I'm wondering with such a skill gap between those 2 armor setups is it worth it to use my lighter setup for PvP despite the fact I tend to go down faster in it???

Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 10/08/2014 05:56 PM CDT
<<(sorry Moon Mages, Bards, Clerics, and Warrior Mages).

Moon Mages are survival secondary. Not sure why you are adding them to that list?

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 10/08/2014 07:00 PM CDT
>>I'm wondering with such a skill gap between those 2 armor setups is it worth it to use my lighter setup for PvP despite the fact I tend to go down faster in it???

Since there is a skill check for armor (can't remember against what) I would use the highest skilled armor in PvP. Leather's major benefit in PvP is the lower stealth hinderance, so if you aren't using stealth then don't bother with leather.
Prev_page Previous 1 3