1 3 Next Next_page
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 12/11/2015 11:53 PM CST
The armor skillset (really, every defensive skill in DR) is just inherently problematic.

Most solutions to the weaknesses in their design can be reduced down to 'remove all defenses from the game, give everyone a generic defensive value based on average combat skills.' So that's an equally problematic indication.

I'm wondering lately if it'd be worth re-designing defense in DR. Offense in DR is pretty problematically simple itself; the game didn't start out designed for PVP and how much good development time do you want to throw after bad?

Your search-fu is pig dung!
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 12/12/2015 12:19 AM CST

I think moving away from one shot kills was great. I think doubling survivability for PCs AGAIN would be cool, so you could RP during combat
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 12/12/2015 02:38 PM CST
<I think moving away from one shot kills was great. I think doubling survivability for PCs AGAIN would be cool, so you could RP during combat

You sir, are crazy. At around the same ranks combat can last a loooong damn time now. The only way your getting killed now days quickly is if your are outclassed by quite a bit.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 12/12/2015 03:55 PM CST
>>Paladins are HOT right now. Everyone loves them for PVP. There's a reason. We're not underpowered, lacking in depth or in any other way weak.

Come to the wyvern trials on monday night at 9est. You can see just how they do in PVP. I wouldn't say they are HOT. But they do ok.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's nothing wrong with a tert wearing plate. I train all of the armors and do just fine. I'll also say that you are barking up the right tree, but you are doing it all wrong. I read half your post and say "he's got something there" then I read the next half and say "man, he's got no clue". That's not a slam, that's just saying that it's hard.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 12/12/2015 05:37 PM CST
>>Tommar: I gave an example of this. If that isn't a good option, I'd like to hear your ideas for it.

As I said before, buffing the armor stats is considered a non-starter by GMs due to the fact that armor is already "borderline making people invulnerable."

I have posted some Paladin-specific ideas in the Paladin boards before, but I don't have any proposals for making armor more interesting as a skillset for the entire game. It's a challenge that GMs have acknowledged but not yet solved.

>>Tommar: Paladins are HOT right now. Everyone loves them for PVP. There's a reason. We're not underpowered, lacking in depth or in any other way weak.

I never argued that Paladins were mechanically weak. I said that they were underdeveloped in terms of guild identity, a point that GMs have acknowledged multiple times.

>>Tommar: If you're a fan of the current system, we probably shouldn't be arguing. But if you have ideas and input for a fix, I'd love to hear it.

As I have said many times, I would like all of the armor types to be viable for every guild. However, I do not know how to balance that. Hindrance is currently the only real "cost" to wearing heavy armor. If you reduce the cost too much, you end up with a situation where every non-stealth character would be a fool not to wear plate, and PvP becomes even slower than the "death by a thousand cuts" affair that it already is.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 12/15/2015 10:21 PM CST
>Paladins are HOT right now. Everyone loves them for PVP. There's a reason. We're not underpowered, lacking in depth or in any other way weak.

Paladins were like 7% of the population in the last couple of censuses, which is up from years past (makes me happy), but still average at best.

Paladins are quite strong early on because it's a relatively easy guild without complicated mechanics. Paladins also peak early, with most important buffs/debuffs around basic difficulty and having few prereqs. You don't need to wait for guild-defining abilities, like dual load, to be effective. A paladin's guild-defining ability is the ability to wear plate, and you can do that out of the character gen. How effective is a paladin be in cloth? That's the overarching problem; it's got little to do with other guilds.

Isharon's replies on the subject have a lot of really good info given to us by GMs and don't come across as argumentative at all to me. A lot of paladins, present company included, don't really have an issue with other guilds wearing plate. Hell, I'd rather have my other armor ranks mean something than have exclusive access to plate.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 12/24/2015 09:31 AM CST

<<"What penalty would sufficiently balance Heavier Armors and prevent everyone from using them all of the time?">>

My understanding of the current system is that heavy armor penalizes non-Paladins heavily on both defensive hindrance and stealth hindrance. You don't use it if you want optimal survivability and you don't use it if you want any chance of hiding at-level. So already we're in the opposite situation - there really isn't a good reason to ever focus on heavier armors outside the Paladin guild.

And since hindrance and stealth hindrance are separate, reducing the defensive penalty while leaving or increasing the stealth penalty on heavier armors would mean that everyone still wouldn't use heavy armor - it would cut off access to stealth, a useful (for some, arguably critical) mechanic.

If the argument is 'we don't want everyone to jump into plate armor', then that's already done, and under current mechanics the exact same effect is in play in reverse, where non-paladins actively avoid heavy armor (TDP farming aside) and are homogenized into light/chain. I'm not sure that's exactly better.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 12/24/2015 10:54 AM CST
As a tert, if I didn't train ALL of them, and didn't care about stealth, I'd wear all chain. But stealth is important to me. So, that's that. I wear all of them, and in such a way that my hindrance isn't SO bad. Keep in mind I have at least 500 in all armors. So, if there's hindrance to work off, I've pretty much done that... Even as a tert. I used to run around in leather body and LC head and hand protection. Because back in the day head and hand hits caused weird stuns for some reason. So, that helped. In 3.1 there's no reason to not train all of them. It's just too simple. Deal with the hindrance a bit, and get extra TDPs. It's not THAT bad. The hindrance sucks, but it's really livable if you plan/play accordingly.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 12/24/2015 12:16 PM CST
>If the argument is 'we don't want everyone to jump into plate armor', then that's already done, and under current mechanics the exact same effect is in play in reverse, where non-paladins actively avoid heavy armor (TDP farming aside) and are homogenized into light/chain. I'm not sure that's exactly better.

My understanding is it's more about preventing Paladins from going further into nowhere's land in terms of guild identity than an issue of not wanting other guilds to wear plate, but it could be both. Consider that no guild other than Paladin could effectively use plate pre-3.0 either other than warrior mages. A lot of the backlash comes from the YS change, so I don't know if GMs' stance (whatever it is) has really changed regarding skill set placement and plate.

Players could call for change, but we need a compelling reason. Because we can train the skill has historically not been good enough.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 12/24/2015 03:04 PM CST
So you want to lock out all other guilds from using plate just because you are under developed? Cool. Well, no one should be able to use small edged weapons except thieves then. And I guess we'll lock polearms out for paladins too while we are at it. War mages will need a piece of the pie too, we'll give them heavy edge. And Barbs, well, they'll just get two handers.

Monster Elec

Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 12/24/2015 07:50 PM CST

Elec more or less raised the important point here. Unless plate is set to become a guild-only skill, it really needs to be less of an objectively bad idea on a non-Paladin. Look at magic - sure, terts aren't going to be able to cast as many spells as quickly as magic primes, but there isn't some extra penalty on top of that to encourage them not to even try. Weapons too - there aren't many important perks to weapons primary, but that hasn't stopped the Barbarian guild from finding an identity that doesn't boil down to 'we're the only ones who can use two-handed weapons, the rest of you can try but you'll be gimping yourself if you do'.

Is it a complicated balance question? Probably. Will hindrance need to be redone? Almost certainly, probably to include stealth hindrance. Is there a compelling argument to keep it the way it is? I don't really think so, because contrary to the worries that plate will homogenize armor choices (the 'everyone will wear plate' argument) what we have RIGHT NOW is a homogenized system where almost everyone wears light or chain while every Paladin wears plate. At least with plate legitimately in the mix you'd have a little more choice and variety, especially if brig is brought on board too.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 12/24/2015 08:32 PM CST
Hindrance is going to need to become a lot more complicated before armor is more than a binary choice. The only effect armor has is defense (protection, absorption, and evasion hindrance are just variables in a single function) and stealth penalty. That's not enough meaningful variation for 4 armor skills.

Armor needs to affect more things like offense (damage, roundtimes), engagement, or something, to bring it up to the complexity of weapons.

Your search-fu is pig dung!
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 12/24/2015 10:36 PM CST

>Elec

Out of curiousity, what's your armor setup (piece location)when you're training all armors at once?
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 12/25/2015 01:10 AM CST

my wm wears plate for aesthetics, i have a large shield for aesthetics. armor is great these days, evasion is not the end all be all of defense it used to be. plate for pve is fine on a tert, of course your not gonna hide in it, but if its the right kind of plate, its going to protect you like it should.

pvp, ofc your gonna wanna min/max hinderances stats ect ect. do I wish I could wear large arm worn shields? yes, would it make sense for everybody to be able to do so? I think it would.(off topic i know, but the skillset/armworn shield size thing has bothered me ever since its introduction) Paladins should always be the best in EVERY armor. the idea of tanks wearing plate exclusively is very outmoded outside the long running games. alas there will always be the "optimal" setups.the "limitations" within the hindrance/armor/skillset systems are ones imposed by the pvp community, not the impossibility of it being done to be effective in pve combat.

and the thing I find with being tert survival and armor is this. armor vs hiding. stealth is something that oftentimes either works, or does not work, with being tert is skewed towards not working. armor is there, and it may not always work to its maximum potential, it is always going to do "something", compared to if someone spots you, the stealth ranks mean little.

Just my opinions, and far from fully informed. I wanna battlemage in plate, and will do so, optimal setup or not
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 12/25/2015 01:18 AM CST

>>Out of curiousity, what's your armor setup (piece location)when you're training all armors at once?

I forget Elec's setup off the top of my head but I've outfitted several people with:

Cloth Robe
Cloth Hood
Light Plate mask
Scale Gloves
Ring chain vambraces

Lumium on the metal pieces and you can get hindrance down to a 6 pretty quickly.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 12/25/2015 01:20 AM CST
>>Out of curiousity, what's your armor setup (piece location)when you're training all armors at once?

Also another low hindrance setup option (I use this one):

mammoth-bone hauberk
light plate mask
scale gloves
ring chain helm

Also gets me down to a 6 overall.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 12/25/2015 11:11 AM CST

an azure-scale targe with a reinforced design
a light lumium plate mask
some lumium scale gloves
a lumium ring helm
some nightmare black leathers

Elec has a fancier shield than me though.

Jalika
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 12/25/2015 11:29 AM CST
Yeah I think he has a diamond hide small shield. Which helps get the hindrance a little lower. I use a targe myself just because I don't care for the protection from the lower quality mat small shields. Now if I hade a diamond hide shield that would be another story. I use this setup which is about the same.

some lumium chain gloves
a cloud-white targe with a reinforced design
some nightmare black leathers
an enameled lamellar cap embellished with tiny dragons
a tarnished ring mail mask with a fresh leather cord
a light lumium plate aventail
[Type INVENTORY HELP for more options]

at 7/14 with the targe and can wear chain or leather gloves without a change. Two pieces of smaller chain just help me lock faster. If I use a small shield it will drop to 6/14. Used that setup because I wanted to use that lamellar cap which apps pretty nice. Figured i'd get some use out of it.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 12/25/2015 01:49 PM CST
I run...
a lumium ring helm
a light lumium plate mask
a dark silver Elven silk shirt with black trim (heavy titanese)
a small shield (Diamondhide)
some lumium scale gloves
some rugged suede pants (heavy titanese)

I'm at 6 hindrance with that.

I wore nightmares until pretty recently when I decided to get the titanese back out of the vault. Nightmares work just fine. They are a great armor. Is this the be all/end all set up? Probably not. Should it teach? I don't see why not. I have to deal with the crappy hindrance. Wearing this set up takes HUNDREDS of ranks of stealth off of Elec, and decreases reflex and evasion. Whoever was talking about hindrance doing more needs their head checked. I'll bet he/she has overtrained reflex and just doesn't notice it as much.

Would I like lower? Hell yeah. Do I think it's stupid I can't train down hindrance more? Yup. But that's because I think it shouldn't be a guild perk. I'm pretty tired of the VERY blurry line of why something mundane is a guild perk. Paladins train down more hindrance because it's a guild perk. Barbs and Paladins know how to hold a bigger shield on their arm as a guild perk. Barbs and Rangers can dual load bows. Rangers can load from a quiver faster than anyone. Rangers get a stealth reduction out of town. Thieves get a stealth reduction in town.

So I think the bigger question should be WHY. Why can't anyone do these things with just more ranks? I think that would be HUGE QOL for just about everyone. Unlock these things with more ranks/stats. This is the very basis of a simple mundane feat system. Let me pick one every 25 or 50 circles. Who cares? Is it game breaking? No. These things don't identify a guild... and if they do, they shouldn't. There should be several more things IG like crossbow load reductions, where people can make it a point get a perk for training a certain way. THIS creates diversity. Think of it like skill based titles, but for feats.

So many points in Disc and stealth grants your stealth reductions

So many points in Agi, Ref, and Bows/Crossbows give you a reduction from quiver/container (basically just a hand load from container).

So many points of Agi/Ref and Bows and you can dual load no spells, nothing hokey. Just you training your character well.

So many points in Str/Stam and Total armor ranks, and you get a lower overall hindrance

So many points of Str/Stam and Shield, and you can learn to maneuver with a larger shield.

To me this is just the start, and there could be many many more.

Monster Elec

Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 12/25/2015 01:55 PM CST
I'd like it to be a stat requirement base, then an ability you acquire somehow. Either through TDP investment (remember we are encouraging diversification) or spell slot investment. A permanent choice you have to make. Unless you want to spend a few hundred on the scoin respec potion.

Make the guilds who own it get the feats free, similar to the current spell system.
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 12/26/2015 01:59 AM CST
Old forged plate greaves. I wear these to train plate because I can't seem to find anything better. Maybe you all can help.

The plate greaves are plate armor.
The greaves look like they offer protection for the following areas:
right leg
left leg
You feel certain that some plate greaves appear to impose insignificant maneuvering hindrance and moderate stealth hindrance, offering:
high protection and very great damage absorption for puncture attacks.
great protection and very great damage absorption for slice attacks.
moderate protection and very great damage absorption for impact attacks.
very good protection and very high damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and very high damage absorption for cold attacks.
poor protection and very high damage absorption for electrical attacks.
If you were only wearing some plate greaves your maneuvering would be barely hindered and your stealth would be fairly hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently somewhat hindered and your stealth is moderately hindered.
You are certain that the plate greaves are quite guarded against damage, and are in pristine condition.
The plate greaves are made with metal.
You are certain that the plate greaves weighs about 128 stones.
You are certain that the plate greaves are worth exactly 162 Dokoras.

Do you know of any plate armor that gives as a base barely hindered/fairly hindered or lower for a single item. I had some light armor greaves made and they were higher than these.

This is my PVE armor but for PVP it's all light/chain which reduces both my hindrance/stealth hindrance. I'm not at the point where I need to buy expensive PVE armor yet and I love dwarven items so...
inv armor:
a pair of black mesh handguards (brigandine)
a Dwarven mining cowl (light armor)
a dwarven chain shirt (chain armor)
a storm-bull targe sealed with protective wax (shield...duh!)
some plate greaves (plate armor)

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!
Re: Heavy plate on armor terts. 12/26/2015 02:44 AM CST
>>Rchight: Do you know of any plate armor that gives as a base barely hindered/fairly hindered or lower for a single item. I had some light armor greaves made and they were higher than these.

The smaller the piece, the less hindrance will be attributed to it. Of course, you'll also get less armor experience for wearing only a small piece, but if you can keep any skill at or above 3/34, you're maximizing your pulse sizes, so mind locking all four armors needn't be the goal.

Coverage areas by hindrance/experience: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide#Coverage_Areas

To minimize hindrance, you'll want to stick with a lighter metal like lumium. Plate masks (eye armor) have a base maneuvering hindrance of 3/15 and a base stealth hindrance of 1/15. Lighter aventails (neck armor) and gauntlets have similar maneuvering hindrance, but stealth hindrance increases to 3/15.

Item stats (you can sort by hindrance): http://www.elanthia.org/Charts/ItemStats.xls

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
1 3 Next Next_page