Prev_page Previous 1
Pikes 02/21/2004 03:32 PM CST
Alright first I'd like to ask on lunge. Lunge has the highest defensive cut it seems and also the longest rt (pretty much double) of any manauver. It also seems like it is nessesary for me to use it in pike combo's to gain much balance. So any chance you could lower the rt to maybe 4 or something? Even that I'm afraid of with how much I get hurt using it. And if anyone knows which defenses are best to use with lunge? Seems whether I'm on evasion, shield or parry I still get smacked.

For me with fighting Celpeze where I've been testing my various weapons. I can fight 3 fine with a shield or parry stance for hours with various weapons without taking much damage at all. Go one on one with a celpeze and try to lunge in a combo (where I'm gaining balance) with incredible balance and overwhelming it and it either kills me in one shot or hurts me really badly.

Some combo's I've been using with pike,

Combo 1 dodge\jab\sweep\thrust\feint
Combo 2 jab\sweep\thrust\lunge

So with the first combo I can not get hurt, maintain balance fairly well (in and out of incredible) and scuff things to death. The thrust is the only thing that really seems to do more than scuff actually.

With the second I get damage with thrust and good damage with lunge but get totally smacked around everytime.

This is testing with a heavy puncture spear, great puncture pike, and javelin with shield. Get min rt with em all.

So I'm wondering if something could be done about how pikes stand right now, if anyone else is having similar problems, or if by chance I'm missing something and one of you has an easy answer of how to use pikes now. Being my 3rd weapon I'd rather not give it up but it's exceedingly difficult for me to do even semi well with them now compared to previously or compared to any other weapon I train (Halberd, edges, blunts, thrown)

Beliel
Re: Pikes 02/21/2004 10:35 PM CST
Beleil I agree completely with your post, the way pikes are set up now you have the choice to either deal out no damage and keep yourself from being hurt, or deal out damage with lunge and get nailed during the RT. The one combo I have been working that is sort of a compromise is parry/jab/sweep/thrust/feint/lunge. It seems to work out pretty well in killing the critters and only leaves you open to being hit on the lunge.

Pikes definitely need an overhaul.

--Just a "clueless" Squire
Re: Pikes 02/21/2004 10:41 PM CST
Well retreating to pole for a lunge would seem in order. I use to like Pike. But since change and before it some I have not played with one. It use to be fun and effective.

I love my GRITS !
Girls Raised In The South !

Re: Pikes 02/21/2004 11:09 PM CST
<<Well retreating to pole for a lunge would seem in order. I use to like Pike. But since change and before it some I have not played with one. It use to be fun and effective.>>

Actually, thats a good point Soim, which I failed to mention. Oftentimes I do in fact retreat to pole range when I am getting ready to go into a lunge. Pikes need to be made fun again!

Re: Pikes 02/24/2004 08:23 AM CST
While I would like a reduction in rt for lunging, I think the bigger problem is that jab and thrust dont seem to do as much damage as they did before and the only way to really do any damage is to lunge and hope to stun your opponent. I think the pike combos need to be redone to give jab and thrust more power. Currently, thrusting has almost as much of an evasion penalty as lunge but without doing near the amount of damage as lunge. Something really needs to be done to bring pikes back to their former status.

-Rayje Bledd
You smite with gweat heavenly fworce!
Re: Pikes 02/24/2004 10:26 AM CST
More pole ranged pikes would be excellent. Maybe reduce the weight of the crossing pike to 60-70 stones, but keep the app that it has now?

- Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, The courage to change the things I can, And the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Re: Pikes 02/24/2004 03:42 PM CST
I agree on lowering the stones of the crossing pike. I picked one up a few days ago to just play with it, jabbed, and got a 19 second rt. I was like who would ever use one of those, so I went and bought a short hunting spear from arthe and got like 3 seconds.. and I can put the spear in my bags.. who would ever use a pike from crossings over one from arthe dale is beyond me.

Setver
Re: Pikes 02/24/2004 10:34 PM CST
what about the gold-tipped lance from I think Shard, the warlance from pali guild shop, or the pitchfork from droughtmans tent?

I sorely need to start working my pike skills but am trying to figure out a weapon that both has a nice "look" to it (warlance) but doesn't have an ungodly rt.
Re: Pikes 02/27/2004 11:43 AM CST
Well I have the pitchfork. It's not bad. Something like 40 stones isn't it? And HT.

Steel.

YOU HAVE <insert ability here>!! YOU ARE OVERPOWERED!! DIE GUILD DIE!!!

Now with combat move charts!
http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/steelflash
Re: Pikes 02/27/2004 05:53 PM CST
<<Well I have the pitchfork. It's not bad. Something like 40 stones isn't it? And HT.>>

Is it one or twp handed?

Re: Pikes 02/27/2004 06:58 PM CST
Pretty sure it's two-handed melee.

Steel.

YOU HAVE <insert ability here>!! YOU ARE OVERPOWERED!! DIE GUILD DIE!!!

Now with combat move charts!
http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/steelflash
Re: Pikes 04/02/2004 10:51 AM CST
The golden Tassled hunting spear from Theren keep is one of the lightest and definitely cheapest heavy puncture pikes and HT going. It weighs considerably less then the pitchfork or the shard pikes. Short hunting spears are the best starter though for sure specially at 400 copper.

One thing about parrying with spears or any HT for the most part. You will sustain quick and severe damage to your weapon most of the time. Some pike and non HT weapons are studier but most of them at somewhat flimsy get damaged easily while parrying. Kinda a contradiction since parry is the manuever to use with pikes and is two handed so cant use a shield.

The Moon Mage Arsenal Jaxzon
Re: Pikes 04/02/2004 12:57 PM CST
<<The golden Tassled hunting spear from Theren keep is one of the lightest and definitely cheapest heavy puncture pikes and HT going. It weighs considerably less then the pitchfork or the shard pikes. Short hunting spears are the best starter though for sure specially at 400 copper.>>

If you don't use a shield, yes its a good weapon.

Good Pikes? 10/12/2006 11:55 PM CDT
Speaking of pikes, what's the best pike that's available that is 50-60 stones in weight? I have a scythe, and I wish to high heaven it was lighter, because right now it weighs a good 80 somethin stones with great puncture. Not worth it, in my opinion.

The one who is obsessed with power..

http://drfallenbard.tripod.com/index.html
Art, Inspiration, and the Fallen.
Re: Good Pikes? 10/13/2006 01:23 AM CDT
shouldn't a scythe be a slicer?
That's what I'd want anyway..

Re: Good Pikes? 10/13/2006 08:00 AM CDT
>shouldn't a scythe be a slicer?
>That's what I'd want anyway..

Blood wraiths, or something in P5, are dropping halberd style scythes. Like baby locabers, pretty good.
Re: Good Pikes? 10/13/2006 06:58 PM CDT
>>Blood wraiths, or something in P5, are dropping halberd style scythes

Really? Does anyone have an appraisal of one of these?

The one who is obsessed with power..

http://drfallenbard.tripod.com/index.html
Art, Inspiration, and the Fallen.
Pole-Ranged Storebought Pikes 12/22/2006 10:50 PM CST
Does anyone know if the gold-tipped lance from SCC or golden-tasseled spear from Theren Keep are pole ranged? And does the spear require one or two hands? Thanks in advance.

~Thilan
Re: Pole-Ranged Storebought Pikes 12/22/2006 11:30 PM CST
No, the lance is now melee ranged.

I am --- Navak
Re: Pole-Ranged Storebought Pikes 12/23/2006 05:15 AM CST
the spear is melee and 2 handed

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: Pole-Ranged Storebought Pikes 12/23/2006 07:11 AM CST
Hmm, so I guess the best (only) storebought option for heavy or greater puncture damage from pole range is the Crossing pike? At least the weight was reduced on that so it's not too ridiculous to use. Do any of the pikes with lesser puncture damage attack from pole?

How about merchant/forged? Is there anything out there better than the ox-tongue spear from To the Teeth (heavy puncture, pole ranged, well constructed, 55 stones)?

That also makes me wonder if in future updates Oolan is going to change the ox-tongue spear in Haven and the tzece in Leth to pike from halberd (like how he switched the khuj to halberd) since both have heavy puncture. The tzece has heavy slice as well so it may stay halberd, however. Anyone know if either of them are pole ranged or not?

~Thilan
Re: Pole-Ranged Storebought Pikes 12/24/2006 10:46 AM CST
For a non paladin I'd say one of the best pikes is the golden tipped lance heavy puncture and one handed so you can use a large shield with it.
for a paladin I'd say the crossing pike when they have the strength.(what is the new weight on the pike?)

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: Pole-Ranged Storebought Pikes 12/24/2006 11:34 AM CST
>>for a paladin I'd say the crossing pike when they have the strength.(what is the new weight on the pike?)

This is for a paladin, so I might use the lance and then upgrade him to the pike when he has the effective strength to reasonably wield it. It went from 143 to 80 stones and is fair/fair.

~Thilan
Re: Pole-Ranged Storebought Pikes 12/27/2006 08:41 AM CST
I was up in Crossing and decided to compare the silver-tipped spear and the short hunting spear

compare hunt spear to silv spear
You are certain that the hunting spear is a little weaker than the silver-tipped spear.
You are certain that the hunting spear is about as balanced as the silver-tipped spear.
You are certain that the hunting spear is about as suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength as the silver-tipped spear.
You are certain that the hunting spear does a little less puncture damage than the silver-tipped spear.
You are certain that the hunting spear does about as much slice damage as the silver-tipped spear.
You are certain that the hunting spear does about as much impact damage as the silver-tipped spear.
You are confident that the hunting spear weighs a lot less than the silver-tipped spear.
[Roundtime: 8 seconds]

I'm pretty sure the hunting spear is mid ranged mod and the silver-tipped spear is high end mod To check this I compared the silver tipped spear to a razor edged iltesh

>compare spear to ilt
You are certain that the silver-tipped spear is weaker than the dueling iltesh.
You are certain that the silver-tipped spear is less balanced than the dueling iltesh.
You are certain that the silver-tipped spear is about as suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength as the dueling iltesh.
You are certain that the silver-tipped spear does about as much puncture damage as the dueling iltesh.
You are certain that the silver-tipped spear does less slice damage than the dueling iltesh.
You are certain that the silver-tipped spear does a little less impact damage than the dueling iltesh.
You think it is likely that the silver-tipped spear weighs more than the dueling iltesh.

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: Pole-Ranged Storebought Pikes 12/27/2006 10:07 AM CST
I like the short hunting spears myself. Light, cheap, and easy to replace. But as for pike training I like to have something that can withstand at least one or two parries. The hunting spear doesnt stand up too well in that dept. after only a few parries they snap like matchsticks. I did use them alot when I was younger and my arms were scrawny, always made sure to carry two or three at a time.

As far as wanting a light spear that will stick around for awhile youd have to get those short metal ones from the merchants, but poo on those cause you cant throw them.

P.S. If any GMs are looking at this post, please make the swapable pike/QS spears from the merchants able to be thrown. I will send you all gift baskets with leftover holiday candy.
Most Useful Pikes? 07/12/2007 08:37 PM CDT
What are some of the more useful pike weapons in the game? Right now I'm using the Theren tasseled spears to train pike because I always have four of them on me anyway in order to utilize heavy thrown, but I'm sure these can't be the best or most useful ones available.

__
~Leilond, the one who is backtraining yet again and who is obsessed with power.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/leilondsootherin.png
Re: Most Useful Pikes? 07/12/2007 09:48 PM CDT
Depends on what you want from it.

The pike/halberds are good for training both.

Short spears (arthe) are good for HT and low rank pike training cause they're light, and small(ish).

The theren spears you have are good at higher ranks, due to better stats and more weight.
Re: Most Useful Pikes? 07/12/2007 11:28 PM CDT
>>Depends on what you want from it.

Damage and any other useful functionality that I can't think of. Pole reach maybe.

__
~Leilond, the one who is backtraining yet again and who is obsessed with power.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/leilondsootherin.png
Re: Most Useful Pikes? 07/14/2007 08:32 PM CDT
I like the boar spears, particularly the "balanced" ones, although most, if not all, come from Edword's tent, which shows up at various fests.

War Hawk Maulem~

Read the Barbarian Seven!
http://tinyurl.com/gksan
Pikes and Fatigue 01/02/2008 07:38 AM CST
Hello - as a young Eloth paladin practicing pike, I can get about 3 swipes in before exhaustion. I have 20 strength/22 stamina and about 30 ranks. Can anyone tell me when/if this gets better?
Re: Pikes and Fatigue 01/02/2008 07:59 AM CST
What pike are you using? My Human Paladin with 20 strength/stamina and 15 agility (4/6 or 6/6 RT using a fair/fair 40 stone spear) doesn't get that fatigued because he generally recovers during the RT. Try using the short hunting spear from Arthe (20 stones) or the golden-tasseled spear from Theren Keep (40 stones).

~Thilan
Re: Pikes and Fatigue 01/02/2008 08:15 AM CST
<<Hello - as a young Eloth paladin practicing pike, I can get about 3 swipes in before exhaustion. I have 20 strength/22 stamina and about 30 ranks. Can anyone tell me when/if this gets better?

From what I understand, exhaustion from weapon use is based on two factors, the weapon weight which determines the amount of fatigue and the stamina (and to a lesser extend discipline) of the user which determines the rate of recovery.

So you might want to look into getting a lighter pike. Check out http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls for a nice listing of store bought pikes (as there is not a readily or significantly better player created pike out there in my opinion). Personally at those stats, I would go for the 20 stone short hunting spear from Arthe Dale. Even then, you might need to pause between attacks to your fatigue to recover.

You can also start dumping all your TDPs into stamina and discipline until you can effectively your pike. Since you are a paladin, I would make sure to always have courage up, as well as any other stamina/discipline boosters you might have.

I will say the golden tasseled spear is quite drool-worthy. That would be the one I would be shooting for in the long run.

Nikpack

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Pikes and Fatigue 01/02/2008 08:32 AM CST
Ahh, ok...well this answers quite a bit:
~~
Twelvetoes hefts the tarnished pike and puts it on the medium balance scale. He patiently adds small sacks of stones on the other side till the beam becomes exactly level.

Twelvetoes squints at the balance beam needle and says, "The pike weighs about one hundred forty-three stones," and puts the pike on the counter.

You pay Twelvetoes and take your pike off the counter.
~~
Off to get a lighter pike!!

I usually have zephyr running via rune, and courage up, so the fatigue comes back quickly, once it poofs.

Thanks for the info!
Re: Pikes and Fatigue 01/02/2008 08:42 AM CST
For a pike? If you use the combo that includes Lunge, like I do, even at 40 stamina I have to either suffer the fatigue hit for the next moves, or wait about 1 to 2 more seconds after the attack RT before continuing. I usually lunge and app something, of course I can do this because my defenses so far outclass what I hunt for with a pike it's not a big deal for me to hang around with the defensive penalty you take after a Lunge.

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Sword of House Calibanor, Ambassador of the Ilithi Court, Emerald Knight, Keeper of the CEC, ... still a Ranger
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Pikes and Fatigue 01/02/2008 10:05 AM CST
Id also echo the others comments, would do better to drop down to a lower weight until you hit the 100 mark in the weapon skill, after that its you choice weather to move up or not. Short hunting spears and javilins would be good for your skill range now, but remember their construction is not the best so dont get any ideas about parrying with it.

Alexii points at the Velakan Slaver and shouts, "Another one! Don't let him get away!"
~
Walk with the Wayward Rakash: http://www.geocities.com/alexii_dr
Re: Pikes and Fatigue 01/02/2008 10:59 AM CST
Just thought I'd let you know, pikes is one of the weapons I'm backtraining. With 35 strength and 29 stamina and a good courage up (60 mana), I use the jab/thrust/lunge combo constantly without ever dropping below 85 or 90% fatigue. I don't think I've ever used anything heavier than 40 stones.

I am currently using the festival short steel spear for my pike as it has much better construction than any other spear out there (I'm sticking to spears for RP reasons). If you are training HT too I'd recommend the javelin as it is light, 1 handed and cheap. By the way, if you need any weapon straps I keep a bunch in my vault.

There is a light at the end of your tunnel friend!

-Guardian Lord Alaxndr Durnovaria
"A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His words speak only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."
Re: Pikes and Fatigue 01/02/2008 11:18 AM CST
<<one hundred forty-three stones

Wow that's a heavy pike. Where did you find that one by the way? Wasn't there a fix to extra heavy pikes a little while back?

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Pikes and Fatigue 01/02/2008 11:28 AM CST
<<I am currently using the festival short steel spear for my pike as >>

Is this from the current fest, if so, which tent?

<<Wow that's a heavy pike. Where did you find that one by the way? Wasn't there a fix to extra heavy pikes a little while back?>>

I think it's from an old fest, not sure which though :)...not sure about heavy pikes getting fixed either!
Re: Pikes and Fatigue 01/02/2008 11:38 AM CST
Javelins have the added bonus of being one-handed and can fit in a backpack, but yeah, my forged one is still getting damaged in wind hounds/reavers occasionally when I have to switch to parry, since they're not very sturdy weapons.

player of Kyriaca
Third time's the charm!
Re: Pikes and Fatigue 01/02/2008 11:39 AM CST
Pikes were supposed to have gone though a fix, I dont have the link to the post but your supposed to be able to walk into the repair shop and tap your pike to see if it needs fixing. Im not sure if this weight-fix system is still active, I do however know that it did skip over some of the older fest spears such as my obsidian tipped bricklebranch, and a few critter-used spears.

Alexii points at the Velakan Slaver and shouts, "Another one! Don't let him get away!"
~
Walk with the Wayward Rakash: http://www.geocities.com/alexii_dr
Prev_page Previous 1