Prev_page Previous 1
Light edge advice needed... 10/23/2009 01:04 PM CDT
Greetings,

I am thinking about starting up a gnome character and would like him to use light edged and light blunt for his main weapon choices. I've never had a gnome and my LE and LB experiences are pretty limited.

Keeping the following in mind: I'd like to have a LE jabber. I'd like the weapon to be as low weight as possible while also giving me a viable option for killing things. I'm a gnome so my intent isn't to train much strength. If possible, I'd like thoughts on a starting setup(since my char won't have much money initially) and intermediate setup for when I get a plat or 3 saved up and a higher end setup for when I've got a bit more money to play around with.

Thanks in advance,

- no name yet, Gnome
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/23/2009 01:06 PM CDT
Go Quarterstaff and Staff Sling. Trust me.

- Chivalrous Shield Korsik Rippentropp, Most Noble Paladine

Crusader against the Innocent
Defender of All That is Wrong
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/23/2009 01:11 PM CDT
Over in Plat, I did see a dagger from the trader shop on Ratha that appraises as fairly sturdy. Keep in mind that none of my chars are primarily LE users, though.

You might consider a Sun Blade from Knife Clan or a Leaf-Blade from Riverhaven too. Or someone might be able to locate a jambiya for you.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/23/2009 01:30 PM CDT
Head over to Riverhaven and ask around for a Jambiya (which are usually given away for free). That will serve you well until you can get 15 plat for a forged Katar. That is as high end at LE gets.

"Join me in the place of power, you risen dead. Join me where the waters weep and the trees have no hearts."
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/23/2009 01:53 PM CDT
He wants a jabber, and he's going to be low strength.

For jabbing or backstabbing get a stout short sword from dirge for a few silvers. For general melee get an ivory-hilted jambiya from a hunter in riverhaven. Or Ciressa often has free ones.

If you just want to carry one weapon, get the jambiya. It's a pretty good all purpose LE.

You are certain that the short sword is a little stronger than the ivory-hilted jambiya.
You are certain that the short sword is a little more balanced than the ivory-hilted jambiya.
You are certain that the short sword is a little less suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength than the ivory-hilted jambiya.
You are certain that the short sword does a little more puncture damage than the ivory-hilted jambiya.
You are certain that the short sword does somewhat less slice damage than the ivory-hilted jambiya.
You are certain that the short sword does about as much impact damage as the ivory-hilted jambiya.
You are certain that the short sword weighs a little more than the ivory-hilted jambiya.
[Roundtime: 8 seconds]

Kaxis

Your unwillingness to admit responsibility for your crimes shall weigh heavily upon you, Elf.
It is with a solemn hope that you will change your ways that I pronounce a fine upon you of 28 coppers.

TIP OF THE DAY:
A heavy crossbow is a heavy crossbow type weapon.
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/23/2009 07:01 PM CDT
Name: Slaughter Chief Hide Race: Gnome Guild: Barbarian

Light Edged: 568 25% examining (13/34)
Medium Edged: 601 92% understanding (14/34)
Heavy Edged: 686 76% scrutinizing (17/34)
Twohanded Edged: 682 02% cogitating (24/34)

LE is my last priority, and if it wasn't still locking, I'd have dropped it a long time ago. My recommendation is stay away from LE. It sucks. It doesn't do enough damage, ever. It doesn't train well or kill easily, ever. Even as a gnome, I would go with the lightest heavy weapon available, which means a 28 stone g/s bastie... or something similar. You will be sorely disappointed in LE. Just sayin'...

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/24/2009 09:34 AM CDT
LE is a viable main weapon choice, it is currently mine although I am training up other weapons to take it's place eventually. If you want a jabber, you may want to start out with a sun blade from Knife Clan or if you can get your hands on a forged short sword.

Other than that, some LE staples are a forged katar, forged short sword, jambiya, and I like the serrated dao from Muspar'i.

If you are low on funds or need any help locating any of these weapons, feel free to find me in game. I'm sure I have some spares hanging around.

- Terra
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/25/2009 12:13 AM CDT
I hope you're planning on being a thief. If so, LE is great. If not, it's one of the worst choices you could make...the only worse choices are sling, staff sling, and light blunt.

That being said, free jambiya is tough to beat for starting, but the best choice you could possibly make for a light jabbing LE is the finely balanced tago from the trader shop. 5 stones, fair puncture, high-end well balance, average strength. They cost about 15 plat.
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/25/2009 09:43 AM CDT
<<If not, it's one of the worst choices you could make...the only worse choices are sling, staff sling, and light blunt.>>

Hm...did I mention that light blunt was going to be my secondary weapon....
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/25/2009 10:00 AM CDT
LE and LB sound like good weapon choices on the surface, but with current mechanics LE is really a poor choice for someone with low stamina, and LB is a poor choice for anyone period. Do it if you want for RP reasons, but not mechanics.

ME would be a good primary weapon. I'd suggest LT (and training with throwing blades or daggers) over blunt secondary.
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/25/2009 02:21 PM CDT
LE is my secondary weapon. I choose it for RP purposes for the most part as well. For a long while I used a forged katar. Its a decently damaging slicer.

For jabbers I've always used a tago. Can be a bit pricey from trader shop 20-25plat, but its light (5 stone I think) and doubles as an LT. Never have had to repair one.

Like many people have said, LE isn't the best min/max choice but I'll assume you probably know that and have already made a choice you might (dare I say it) enjoy playing out since you've chosen the Le folder already.

Hope you find something fun!

Jalika

Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Ragran's pockets and carefully grab a platinum.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/25/2009 03:18 PM CDT
Thanks. I mainly wanted LE/LB for RP purposes, though the reality is, weapons seem to lock so fast that I'll have to pick up something else anyway, and as with all the advice I'll likely look for a lightweight jabbing ME.

I really wish sling were viable, but having 3 weapons that are on the weak side doesn't really appeal to me, RP or no RP::grin::. To that end I might end up going with shortbow.

- a Gnome
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/25/2009 05:21 PM CDT
Light Blunt seems to also factor slightly into certain ambush maneuvers, for the Thief Guild.
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/26/2009 12:28 AM CDT
>>I'll assume you probably know that and have already made a choice you might (dare I say it) enjoy playing out since you've chosen the Le folder already.<<

Sucking 24/7 isn't many people's idea of fun. Just saying. Even Medium-weight weapons kind of drag as you move up the ladder--I trained ME/HE as a gnome with 10 strength and I wish I'd have trained 2HE/2HB much sooner.

Being effective is just more fun.

As a gnome, you might want to look into LT or short bow. Both are lighter weapons that do respectable damage. Though, I'd pick HT over LT.

Avaya <--Not female.
(But supportive)
Gnome WM of TF
AIM: AvayaTF
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/26/2009 01:42 AM CDT
>Sucking 24/7 isn't many people's idea of fun.
>Being effective is just more fun.

Some people like challenges. I trained TM with runes before it opened up recently and blew my arms off every 10 casts or so. I wasn't very effective. I also trained stealing and got arrested for hundreds of ranks before the stealing rewrite with no thief bonus. Oh no! It was fun to play out a quirky character!

Besides, LE doesn't suck 24/7. Its not sling. Its just not OP like basties either.

Jalika

Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Ragran's pockets and carefully grab a platinum.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/27/2009 05:36 PM CDT
No... LE does suck 24/7 unless you're a thief using it with back stab. Dancing dragon with nearly 600 ranks in it and it has always sucked and will continue to suck. I'm not about to subject myself to 600 ranks of sling or staff sling, but really... LE as a primary weapon? Ugh. I can see it... maybe... for the RP, but for actually being effective as an implement of destruction? It's like trying to commit suicide through the use of paper cuts to induce the bleeding.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

Solomon
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/27/2009 10:12 PM CDT
<<No... LE does suck 24/7...>>

Question for you then: Do multiple hits cause a detriment to balance on critters still?

Reason I ask is back when I played before '96-2002, my main weapon was HE, while my main hunting partner had an LE for his main weapon. Using good tactics we were consistantly able to hunt 10-20 circles above our actual circles(though I am sure other skills played a factor as well). However, one thing we would do was to overload the critter with hits from his LE, one right after another and begin to knock out its balance at which point I could come in with the heavy shots.

Would something like that work in today's DragonRealm? Meaning would it make LE more of a viable weapon choice if you had a partner or spells to pair it with?

Again I appreciate the discussion and advice.

- a Gnome
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/28/2009 05:14 PM CDT
>Reason I ask is back when I played before '96-2002, my main weapon was HE, while my main hunting partner had an LE for his main weapon. Using good tactics we were consistantly able to hunt 10-20 circles above our actual circles(though I am sure other skills played a factor as well). However, one thing we would do was to overload the critter with hits from his LE, one right after another and begin to knock out its balance at which point I could come in with the heavy shots.

I think you gave the NPC a MO penalty. I'm not sure if LE had anything to do with that.

Guys, we're all missing the point! LE is a perfectly viable, perfectly functional weapon! It just so happens that there are gobs of options which outperform LE. It's not so bad though. There's comparatively worse things in DR, like being a race which has a Charisma bonus on top of a Discipline penalty.

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/28/2009 05:28 PM CDT
>>Guys, we're all missing the point! LE is a perfectly viable, perfectly functional weapon!<<

Keep telling yourself that if you must, but it still doesn't make it a true statement.

Solomon
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/28/2009 05:38 PM CDT
>>However, one thing we would do was to overload the critter with hits from his LE, one right after another and begin to knock out its balance<<

Years ago, I think the combination was jab, draw, jab, draw, or something like that where you would quickly get to incredibly balanced, and in the process, tank your opponent's balance. I know the combo has changed, and it could be that you were creating a MO penalty for the critter as well. I don't think it works that way now, though I always hunt solo, so I know nothing about creating multi penalties for critters. I do know that even with lower roundtimes for each attack and therefore more attacks in a shorter period of time, LE does such minimal damage that it's not worth it, and in some cases is almost completely ineffective against harder to kill critters. The only reason LE is my fifth weapon is because my 6th weapon is too low to kill critters at level, otherwise I would have dropped it from my training list hundreds of ranks ago.

Solomon
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/28/2009 06:59 PM CDT
LE is not a bad weapon choice if you're choosing it for RP reasons, like I have.

The problem is, LE is NOT practical for PvP combat or for most creatures who wear armor or have shields. I have enjoyed LE very much for regular hunting by typically going up the natural critter ladder.

But make no mistake, this is not a good weapon or even a mostly viable weapon for any kind of PvP, with the possible exception of being a thief. Otherwise, go for it.

- Terra
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/29/2009 12:10 AM CDT
You kinda need to define viable for this argument. Yes, people have trained it pretty high. I know of no one (outside of backstabbers) who didn't hate it beyond 200ish ranks.

I personally hated it at around 40 ranks.

But I'm not hating on you for wanting to give it a try. Some day it won't suck and you'll be ahead of the curve... I just didn't want you to be mad at yourself later or all the effort that isn't going to see pay off any time soon.

You used to be able to parry/jab and hunt swamp trolls with 0 ranks in LE and defense. This was at a time when balance was King and swamp trolls were the pinnacle of combat.

Avaya <--Not female.
(But supportive)
Gnome WM of TF
AIM: AvayaTF
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/29/2009 08:12 AM CDT
For what it's worth I believe Edgee, highest barb I in prime I know of, is LE prime. When the day comes that LE's more worthwhile with its speed, I'd watch out. New combat is on the horizen. (I just hope the world isn't flat and the horizen being a far ways away)

Jab/parry was the combo to get incredibly balanced, then it was slice slice slice until balance was lost and repeat.

Vindicator Adakin of Prime
WorldsBestMagic Kastr of TF

"The Key To Immortality Is Living A Life Worth Remembering."

"Killing Time Murders Opportunities."
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/29/2009 09:18 AM CDT
>For what it's worth I believe Edgee, highest barb I in prime I know of, is LE prime

Aside from Gavyn, who is #1.

And Juulmon and Grungy.
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/29/2009 09:18 AM CDT
But yes, Edgee uses LE.
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/29/2009 10:06 AM CDT
He was the first to reach 150th then? I've never been great at keeping track of this stuff.

Vindicator Adakin of Prime
WorldsBestMagic Kastr of TF

"The Key To Immortality Is Living A Life Worth Remembering."

"Killing Time Murders Opportunities."
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/29/2009 11:55 AM CDT
He may have hit 150th before Gavyn, but Gavyn is the biggest barbarian in Prime. Straight up. Luckily for everyone, Gavyn has been and always will be played by the same guy, who's awesome. And really nice and not looking for conflicts. He apparently is just happy trying to figure out the exact numbers to be a barbarian and hide on 4 elder armadillos at melee, I guess.

- Warrior of Virtue Korsik Rippentropp, Most Noble Paladine

Crusader against the Innocent
Defender of All That is Wrong
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/29/2009 01:38 PM CDT
I agree that you would need to define what is viable. Is it worth while to have LE as your primary weapon? There are better choices out there. LE is definitely viable as a weapon overall.

Off the top of my head, staff sling and sling are easily the worst weapons in terms of damage output and experience capability in comparison to other weapons. Quarterstaff and short staff are pretty bad, but nothing as close to slings or staff slings - mainly because of the lack of quality ammunition available for it in relation to other AIMable ranged weapons in the game.

Somewhere in this thread, the theme went from if LE is viable as a primary weapon to something along the lines of if LE is viable as a weapon. LE probably isn't the best choice for someone who doesn't backstab as a primary weapon compared to other weapons, yet LE is still a very viable choice as a weapon.

- Simon
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/29/2009 02:20 PM CDT
>>Somewhere in this thread, the theme went from if LE is viable as a primary weapon to something along the lines of if LE is viable as a weapon. LE probably isn't the best choice for someone who doesn't backstab as a primary weapon compared to other weapons, yet LE is still a very viable choice as a weapon.<<

Well said Simon, and agreed. With nearly 600 ranks in LE, it IS a viable weapon. Is LE a viable PRIMARY weapon? I don't think so. As you said, there are other, better choices out there.

Solomon
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/29/2009 04:09 PM CDT
I have to disagree on Quarterstaff, I'm training it up now as a primary replacement.

Granted, it's terrible with low str/stam/agil, but around the 30s you can get some decent roundtimes and excellent damage.

>>I'm constantly amazed by the things that people do in game that would get them punched in the face in RL, but then they try to claim that they didn't do anything that would warrent a PvP situation.<<
-Evran
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/29/2009 05:23 PM CDT
It might of been mentioned in past posts but long ago before combat changes, a decent number of people would fight with two weapons (One in each hand). You would parry jab with the LE until balanced and then swap and do a slice with a heavier weapon. (Be it a blunt or edged). I did the same with a couple of characters I had back then.

I'm pretty sure the original owner of Edgee used the same tactics and could explain part of the reason why LE had continued to be trained. If you have a bunch of ranks of something some people would probably opt not to stop training it.

Anyways.. just thought it was an interesting thing to point out. No doubt a lot of older characters have LE ranks if they used this same tactic but probably didn't continue to train it after the combat maneuver changes.
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/29/2009 05:31 PM CDT
>>I'm pretty sure the original owner of Edgee used the same tactics and could explain part of the reason why LE had continued to be trained. If you have a bunch of ranks of something some people would probably opt not to stop training it.

That's just about it. A number of times I've snagged his katar when he needed a raise. The same is true with Airaman's original owner.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/29/2009 05:53 PM CDT
<<but around the 30s you can get some decent roundtimes and excellent damage.>>

What would you consider as "decent roundtimes" when compared to other pole-ranged weapon templates in relation to their damage output potential?

- Simon
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/29/2009 07:49 PM CDT
>I have to disagree on Quarterstaff, I'm training it up now as a primary replacement.

>Granted, it's terrible with low str/stam/agil, but around the 30s you can get some decent roundtimes and excellent damage.

Quarterstaff is useable, but halberd is a much better pole range weapon, no matter your stats.
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/30/2009 12:32 AM CDT
>> I know of no one (outside of backstabbers) who didn't hate it beyond 200ish ranks.<<

I have around 400 ranks of it and do not hate it. But I prefer form over function. Certainly the damage output by heavier weapons is much better, but I enjoy being LE/QS prime believe it or not.

>>Quarterstaff is useable, but halberd is a much better pole range weapon, no matter your stats.<<

Quoted for emphasis. Again, for me it's form over function. But I train halberd and QS regularly. I haven't messed around with pikes because they just don't seem very good.

- Terra
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/30/2009 12:46 AM CDT
Terra, have you ever tried forging a halberd? I'm curious what sort of luck you'd have with a crapload of mech, halberd and QS ranks.

Of course if short staff and pikes figure into the equation...

Still could be interesting.

I agree that it might be a good idea to avoid LE unless you are a Thief or enjoy it for RP reasons.

If you do train it as a non-Thief, be sure to pair it with something with more oomph. A nice blunt weapon maybe.

-- Player of Szrael --
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/30/2009 12:46 AM CDT
p.s. and a ranged.
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/30/2009 02:00 AM CDT
3/4/4/4/4/4/3 with my camb staff.
I slaughter hatchlings, north gate oafs, etc with

Quarterstaff: 133 03.87% mind lock (34/34)

Strength : 31 Reflex : 31 +
Agility : 36 + Charisma : 30
Discipline : 34 Wisdom : 36
Intelligence : 35 Stamina : 31

the only buff is sure footing
>>I'm constantly amazed by the things that people do in game that would get them punched in the face in RL, but then they try to claim that they didn't do anything that would warrent a PvP situation.<<
-Evran
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/30/2009 06:19 AM CDT
My only melee is LE, and I do it purely for RP purposes but it doesn't do badly at all. My main weapons are really my ranged though (LX and LT).

"Join me in the place of power, you risen dead. Join me where the waters weep and the trees have no hearts."
Re: Light edge advice needed... 10/30/2009 08:12 AM CDT
<<Gavyn has been and always will be played by the same guy, who's awesome.

Madigan

"le rage du paladine" Korsik
Prev_page Previous 1