Prev_page Previous 1
Best slice LE 07/07/2009 06:02 PM CDT
Anyone know which LE would be the best slicer in the realms? The blight ogre knife seems it offhand, since it's got fair slice and impact, though balance is terrible. I don't notice anything with good slice/impact that has decent balance as well, though.
Re: Best slice LE 07/07/2009 06:03 PM CDT
I'm a big fan of ivory-hilted jambiyas from shadow beasts.

An ivory-hilted jambiya is a light edged melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
fair puncture damage
fair slice damage
poor impact damage

You are certain that the jambiya is reasonably balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the ivory-hilted jambiya is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

Rev. Reene

Reene: I WILL BECOME MINILYRAS!
Devan: ... I thought you already were.
Re: Best slice LE 07/07/2009 06:13 PM CDT
Forged katars have the greatest raw damage IMO.

>app kat

A katar is a light edged melee-ranged weapon.

poor puncture damage
fair slice damage
moderate impact damage

You are certain that the katar is dismally balanced and is well suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the katar is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

The katar is made with metal.
You are certain that the katar weighs exactly 39 stones.
You are certain that the katar is worth exactly 600 lirums.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

There is a slice equivalent which has moderate slice instead of moderate impact but I favor the force of impact that this particular variety brings.

__
~Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Scene.jpg
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com/
Re: Best slice LE 07/07/2009 06:58 PM CDT
The Outcast Surplus lion claw daggers are very nice, too.

A a polished lion-claw throwing dagger is a light thrown and light edged melee-ranged weapon.

fair puncture damage
fair slice damage
poor impact damage

You are certain that the throwing dagger is well balanced and is poorly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the throwing dagger is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The throwing dagger is made with metal.
You are certain that the throwing dagger weighs exactly 10 stones.

They can be kinda hard to come by though.

~Talo, Prydaen Barbarian~
Re: Best slice LE 07/08/2009 04:44 PM CDT
Dagger from last pay fest is similar. I like it cause of the le/lt viability. Forged katars definitely kill faster though.

Jalika

> app dag

A blackened steel throwing dagger adorned by a three-tined claw is a light thrown and light edged melee-ranged weapon.

fair puncture damage
fair slice damage
poor impact damage

You are certain that the dagger is well balanced and is poorly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the throwing dagger is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The throwing dagger is made with metal.
You are certain that the throwing dagger weighs about 5 stones.
You are certain that the throwing dagger is worth exactly 15000 lirums.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.
Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Ragran's pockets and carefully grab a platinum.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Re: Best slice LE 07/08/2009 10:53 PM CDT
I also agree with katars for being the best flat out for killing.

Side note, anyone remember the dagger that has severe puncture? dont remember the name or what happened to it..
Re: Best slice LE 07/09/2009 12:54 AM CDT
<<Side note, anyone remember the dagger that has severe puncture? dont remember the name or what happened to it..

There were the ruby hilted carving knives from when the trader shop first opened that had heavy slice. That got fixed pretty quick though. Was fun while it lasted! ;)

- George, Player of Foresee
Re: Best slice LE 07/09/2009 01:16 AM CDT
>There were the ruby hilted carving knives from when the trader shop first opened that had heavy slice.

There have been others in the past though. Old triple-bladed daggers, for example.
Re: Best slice LE 08/07/2009 02:20 AM CDT
I have an old triple-bladed dagger, which sadly only does fair puncture.

There were a couple gorbesh scout daggers that had great puncture.

The weapon you're thinking of is 'a slender Elothean blade sharp enough to pierce steel'. It had many owners, but as far as i know is now lost to DR legend.
Re: Best slice LE 08/07/2009 04:06 AM CDT
Word; thats the one I was thinking of. Jaw dropped when I appraised that. Wish there were more uber weapons worth drooling over.

~Maryhana
Re: Best slice LE 08/07/2009 08:31 AM CDT
>>Wish there were more uber weapons worth drooling over.

Try appraising Barbarians

-Denz

It isn't a troll thread because we don't agree with you. A troll is when someone posts something (usually offensive) just to get a reaction from people - Copernicus
Re: Best slice LE 08/07/2009 04:08 PM CDT
>>Wish there were more uber weapons worth drooling over.<<

This, although I've seen some really cool weapons recently (Thanks Anjison (sp?))

I just can't wait for the combat rewrite and the mech split, when hopefully a katar won't be the go-to slicing LE of doom.

- Terra
Re: Best slice LE 08/07/2009 05:21 PM CDT
Im a big fan of uber weapons of all classes. Very rare, hard to get. If the economy is the reason holding bigger/better/rarer/harder to obtain gear being created, have they considered making certain things auto-bond;

Or straight up put a NODROP flag so its used by the user who found it only.

~Maryhana
Re: Best slice LE 08/07/2009 07:02 PM CDT
>Im a big fan of uber weapons of all classes. Very rare, hard to get. If the economy is the reason holding bigger/better/rarer/harder to obtain gear being created, have they considered making certain things auto-bond;

DR is not WoW. DR was not designed on the premise of ever upscaling gear, to the point that you have to require specific levels to use it.

I enjoy WoW (sometimes?) but the two games are so insanely opposite, it doesn't do to just hash a system from one into the other.
Re: Best slice LE 08/08/2009 07:53 AM CDT
Uber items will still gather dust in vaults because of the unreasonable item loss mechanics that are apparently "fun".

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Tolle says, "Yup yup, 'bout time. What the heck took you so long?"
Re: Best slice LE 08/08/2009 08:03 AM CDT
>>Uber items will still gather dust in vaults because of the unreasonable item loss mechanics that are apparently "fun".

QFT

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: Best slice LE 08/08/2009 01:12 PM CDT
<<DR is not WoW. DR was not designed on the premise of ever upscaling gear, to the point that you have to require specific levels to use it.

My idea wasn't taken from WoW; was from another MUD. Works well over there.

~Maryhana
Re: Best slice LE 08/08/2009 02:29 PM CDT
>Uber items will still gather dust in vaults because of the unreasonable item loss mechanics that are apparently "fun".

The GM philosophy on the subject is that rare items shouldn't last forever. However, I think that enough items are lost when people put accounts on hold and never return to keep rare items usable but not commonplace.

Obligatory bonding potion nag, yada yada.
Re: Best slice LE 08/08/2009 03:44 PM CDT
>>DR is not WoW. DR was not designed on the premise of ever upscaling gear, to the point that you have to require specific levels to use it.

Why does it always seem like badmouthing WoW is the awesome thing to do? I guess when you fail @ games, you fail @ them all. Either way. "Special" gear isn't a bulletpoint from WoW.

They have special gear in GS4. And I believe DR GMs didn't want DR to end up like GS4.

Where the only way to compete/get ahead/design for was with the thought that everyone had super gear.
Re: Best slice LE 08/08/2009 05:23 PM CDT
>Why does it always seem like badmouthing WoW is the awesome thing to do? I guess when you fail @ games, you fail @ them all. Either way. "Special" gear isn't a bulletpoint from WoW.

Wow, nice personal attack for no reason, thanks.

First: reading comprehension 101 please. I said nothing bad about WoW. It is a fun game. I went so far as to say I like playing it, sometimes. For the record, I have a high 60s Ally Retadin (don't look at me like that, I started her before they were win button'ed).

WoW focuses on gear. You have to replace it every 2-5 levels to remain competative. The focus is so extreme that once you cap your levels, you have a whole new area of the game which will take probably months to get through, devoted only to getting better gear.

In fact, the developers have streamlined the level aquisition phase so that you reach the gear aquisition phase much sooner, because it was deemed more fun.

This mentality simply doesn't fit in DR, for a number of reasons I won't bother going into. That was my point.
Re: Best slice LE 08/08/2009 05:27 PM CDT
Why are people talking about WoW like it was the first game to introduce something like gear levels?

Freakin' kids.

Rev. Reene

SEND[Abasha] I will kill you :D
Re: Best slice LE 08/08/2009 05:38 PM CDT
DR's LACK of gear upgrades is very very rare. The vast majority of games (Paper, computer, MMO whatever) have a gear upgrade system.

What WoW did add was BoE/BoP to everything which totally reshaped the WoW economy compared to most games.

Dartenian says, "The thing that makes Dragon Dance king is that it pretty much bonuses every single that can possibly be buffed for combat. Including at least two things that don't even exist."
Re: Best slice LE 08/08/2009 05:47 PM CDT
Gemstone has gear levels
Re: Best slice LE 08/08/2009 06:10 PM CDT
>Why are people talking about WoW like it was the first game to introduce something like gear levels?

Seriously, that's like a standard of almost every text rpg I've played almost without exception.
Re: Best slice LE 08/08/2009 06:15 PM CDT
<<Seriously, that's like a standard of almost every text rpg I've played almost without exception.

Its the corner stone of Circle MUDs; GodWars, DiKu, Dystopia all pretty much followed.

<<WoW focuses on gear. You have to replace it every 2-5 levels to remain competative.

Everquest did it several years earlier. Just sayin'

Its clearly a popular concept in these types of games. It gives the player something to look forward to aside from increased numbers; even if, at its base, gear just adds numbers.

~Maryhana
Re: Best slice LE 08/08/2009 06:19 PM CDT
Where do you guys think the entire concept of a Hackmaster +12 came from? I'll give you a hint: not WoW.

Dartenian says, "The thing that makes Dragon Dance king is that it pretty much bonuses every single that can possibly be buffed for combat. Including at least two things that don't even exist."
Re: Best slice LE 08/08/2009 06:47 PM CDT
News flash folks, one can acquire "better gear" in DR, too. It's called forged scimitars, armors, and well...yea. Or you can get fancy flashy gear and well, I would say going to fests to get all the nice items that could be rare in the future is indeed "something to look forward to". Rather than having to buy new gear everytime I circle because what I have is now "outdated" for my "level".

As a matter of fact I just bought a thirty-three stone scimitar yesterday an "upgrade" from my eighteen stone one. =| Go figure. =]
Re: Best slice LE 08/08/2009 06:57 PM CDT
>News flash folks, one can acquire "better gear" in DR, too. It's called forged scimitars, armors, and well...yea.

Yes, but it isn't the same thing really. It isn't on the same scale, and there's pretty much no restrictions on use.
Re: Best slice LE 08/08/2009 07:05 PM CDT
>>Yes, but it isn't the same thing really. It isn't on the same scale, and there's pretty much no restrictions on use.

Well yea, but the way DR is set up is to be free in choice. If they have restrictions on gear and set gear that's the "best for Paladins" then everyone will become cookie cuttier and that's very anti-DR. But there is "upgrades" y'know. I mean we're not all shoved into one standard weapon.

Now if it's super rare and only one Paladin of Awesome will ever get ahold of this legendary weapon/armors well then. It's just going to sit in that Paladin's vaults like a few people have already said...so...I'm ok with just being able to buy an upgrade scimitar for 10-15 plat whenever I lose mine. Heh.
Re: Best slice LE 08/08/2009 07:12 PM CDT
Its just odd that at circle 1 you can (very cheaply) buy 3-4 pieces of armor, a shield, and a weapon and know, with near certainty, that you will have this gear for 149 circles and there is nothing better you can or will get.

The only exception I can think of is Holy weapons for Paladin. But those are trash imo.

~Maryhana
Re: Best slice LE 08/08/2009 07:22 PM CDT
Not all gear is equal in DR, but there aren't significant upgrade paths if you follow...

Re: Best slice LE 08/08/2009 07:22 PM CDT
>Why are people talking about WoW like it was the first game to introduce something like gear levels?

Because it's the largest game going, worldwide, right now, so it makes a handy refference point. I could throw out random games like Maple Story or FF10, but odds are anyone who's played those has at least tried WoW.

S'like the difference between rabies and hyrdrophobia, to me.
Re: Best slice LE 08/08/2009 07:41 PM CDT
Something just seems wrong with a 150th barb's go to weapon being 'a scimitar' (Alterations are fluff and don't count)

It would be nice for the task system to offer upgrades or improvements (like the old weapon balancers / tempers)

Obviously before this were to happen item destruction needs to stop and item 'poofs' need to be fixed. Never seen a game with so much lost that can not be replaced.

Special metals were on the right path and perhaps forging 2.0 will own my face 'soon'

~Maryhana
Re: Best slice LE 08/09/2009 05:54 AM CDT
<<The GM philosophy on the subject is that rare items shouldn't last forever.>>

Solomon also promised us the ability to buy insurance on our items. This instuance was proposed to have various levels and be able to return grave robbed items and things the janitor ate. I wish it would move WAY up the priority lest. Using rare items is more fun than just drooling over them in a vault.

I thought it would come "SOON" after item registration. Maybe Sumi soon?

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Best slice LE 08/09/2009 06:35 AM CDT
Hopefully that happens.

Seems like if you weren't around 500 years ago at the right moment, theres no chance anything special is coming your way.

I kid, of course. And by uber I mean slightly above capped or maybe some different special innate or magically based cool ability/spell that helps a bit in combat or a skill. Nothing game changing of course.

~Maryhana
Re: Best slice LE 08/09/2009 06:42 AM CDT
>Seems like if you weren't around 500 years ago at the right moment, theres no chance anything special is coming your way.

To some degree, that's true. The approval process for items used to be somewhat lacking, so really overpowered items would get created at times, intentionally or even by mistake.

However, surprise items are still found at times if you look hard enough. The last big merchant in shard sold the best light blunt weapons ever released. The leth fest had some great tower shields and the cambrinth quarterstaff from the WM tent was one of the best I've seen.

It is a little disappointing how 99% of items are on the same template though, especially when that template is inferior to forged.
Re: Best slice LE 08/09/2009 07:08 AM CDT
<<It is a little disappointing how 99% of items are on the same template though, especially when that template is inferior to forged.

Totally. Have the shield; Are there any just brutal 2he's running around that ya know of? You seem like you would know if there were any. Just curious.

~Maryhana
Re: Best slice LE 08/09/2009 07:41 AM CDT
>Are there any just brutal 2he's running around that ya know of?

Bastard swords are about as brutal as it gets.

There's a mirror axe in TF that's 2HE, but the bastard sword performs on par with it (partly due to a bug with mirror weapons and parrying that I've never gotten a GM response on).
Re: Best slice LE 08/09/2009 08:51 AM CDT
>It is a little disappointing how 99% of items are on the same template though, especially when that template is inferior to forged.

This. I've gotten my axe collection up to 40+. There are basically 5-6 templates. I can almost always tell the stats and weight of an axe before I appraise it, just based on whether it is ME, HE, HT, 2HE, etc. The few cases where one stands out is because it is something like a 100 stone ME with identical stats as the typical 41 stone ME. In every case, there is a better non-axe weapon in the same class... It makes baby Kertigen cry. Hopefully new forging will bring a lot of variance in templates, while still allowing for rp choice by making different weapon types more balanced. It would be nice to see some variation in store/fest bought stuff as well though.
Re: Best slice LE 08/09/2009 07:33 PM CDT
>I've gotten my axe collection up to 40+. There are basically 5-6 templates. I can almost always tell the stats and weight of an axe before I appraise it, just based on whether it is ME, HE, HT, 2HE, etc.

I feel your pain. I've almost stopped collecting several times because of it.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Weapon Combo Balance List
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/balance.xls
Prev_page Previous 1