Prev_page Previous 1
Learning LE 01/14/2005 10:13 AM CST
Well, I made my trip to Riverhaven and ask around but no one was willing to help with getting a jambiya. I am assuming the critter that carries them is way to strong for me, so guess I will just train ME instead. Anyone know of a good store bought ME. I am way to young to buy a forged one.

~N~ and crew
Re: Learning LE 01/14/2005 10:23 AM CST
If you are still in game, I'm in the crossing. What is your name by the way so I can find you.

Askeggi
Re: Learning LE 01/14/2005 10:28 AM CST
Heh, Never thought of that, gettin' senile. Names Nikor and I am on my way back to Crossing. Critters slap my around to much in Haven.

~N~
Re: Learning LE 01/14/2005 10:45 AM CST
I'm at the market tent when ye reach crossin

Askeggi
Re: Learning LE 01/14/2005 10:47 AM CST
Just made it. I am on my way.

~N~!
Re: Learning LE 01/14/2005 10:51 AM CST
And they all lived happily ever after. Everyone but Dulci anyway.

~Dulcinia

[Rencin] "any moonies about , i be needin a locate please"
[Daryn] "You are in front of the bank, Rencin"
Re: Learning LE 01/14/2005 10:58 AM CST
Your right there. The jambiya is great. Been using the Crossing gob short sword and the jambiya beats the short sword in every way. Thanks agin Askeggi.

~N~
Re: Learning LE 01/19/2005 03:52 PM CST
Alright I HAD been using a Jambiya till I lost mine now i'm wondering on Katars. How much do mod slice Katars go for and where (shop or forged?) Also if anyone around Haven feels like snaggin me a jambiya or two (got a friend wanting one as well) id love ya forever (be that good or bad only i know!)

~Birkan Featherhands teh drunken Prydaen
Re: Learning LE 01/19/2005 04:01 PM CST
>>>How much do mod slice Katars go for and where (shop or forged?)

Forged only for mod slice. I bought mine for 12 plat (Shadowar-forged 35-stones) and haven't even looked at a jambiya for myself. Prices and forgers may vary, consult your local Trader.

(Pssssst... Buy from Suru.)

Amagaim; the player of,

"That'll do it, yes. Unless of course it's within your power to save me from an increasingly miserable and inconsequential existence."

"Well, we have baked apple pies. Would a couple of those help?"
Re: Learning LE 01/19/2005 06:24 PM CST
I'd recommend going for the fair slice/mod impact katar. Weighs a couple more stones than the mod slice/fair impact, but seems to pack more punch.
Re: Learning LE 01/19/2005 07:05 PM CST
Weight is fine with me its damage that matters. 12 plats pretty cheap i'll have to snag one soon

Re: Learning LE 01/20/2005 10:18 PM CST
Ok anyone know a way to get ahold of edgee or some other LE forging?

Re: Learning LE 01/21/2005 05:49 AM CST
Not sure how often Edgee is forging these days, or any other forger for that matter. I did run into Vibrato last week in crossing and he made a weapon for me. He may be the most active one around still and can cap all blades and blunts i believe. or look in the trader tent in crossing, theres most likely a trader selling capped blades. especially come weekend time.
Re: Learning LE 01/23/2005 09:19 PM CST
>I'd recommend going for the fair slice/mod impact katar. Weighs a couple more stones than the mod slice/fair impact, but seems to pack more punch.

The difference between the two is if you grind them, not weight.
Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/09/2008 02:14 AM CST
Is there somewhere around ratha I can do this without dying to those blasted Hammer swains?

>>--Shnurui>
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/09/2008 06:46 AM CST
Have you tried silver leucros? Oddly 115 ranks seems like prime swain material but the leucros might work a little while longer. Other than that, there are hatchlings in the sewers.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/09/2008 07:52 AM CST
<<Is there somewhere around ratha I can do this without dying to those blasted Hammer swains?

Leucros. Can't you tingle the swains though? Would make them easier to hit and less dangerous.

-Sephos
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/09/2008 12:20 PM CST
Leucros teach at a snails pace, You can just do so much damage with store bought light edge, even the largest of them(short swords and such)

I'm assuming that because learning is based on the end damage light edge useres are generally massively disadvantaged.

hatchlings tend to deflect most of the damage, hard hide and such.

sure, I can tingle them, until I get in the middle of a swarm right after tingling 3 and one sneeks in with a hammer during the massive scroll of a swarm.

But what about people, yes even war mages, that Don't have tingle?

>>--Shnurui>
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/09/2008 12:39 PM CST
Honestly, unless you're a thief who uses backstab and trains LE that way, using LE is a grossly inefficient weapon for any other guild. Depending on guild and weapon requirements, I would choose ANY other edge over LE. Even forged LE weapons kinda blow when compared to even a storebought ME, HE, or 2HE. LE generally doesn't do enough damage, quickly enough to be of any real use. However if you were using the 58 stone storebought claymore from theren with the same ranks while hunting silver leucros.... Yes, the rt would probably be great per swing until you worked that down to minimum, but the overall time it would take to kill a silver leucro would be far shorter.

Time is not your enemy- I am.
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/09/2008 06:56 PM CST
Well, I am unfortunately LE prime. And not a thief. And I really dont have any trouble training it. Yes around your ranks was tough to get thru but once you stick it out, it isnt so bad. Other edges are better, as I do train HE as well. But I really can't complain about my outcast katar. It works just fine. What I did to get thru the tough ranks was HB critters so I could hit them harder. I don't have to anymore as I trained up my body stats and LE ranks. I can still cut critters in half with my toothpick weapon. Which I find to be pretty cool. hehe.
I do believe around those ranks I played with silver leucros and then went to latami on aesry. I never ever liked swain with LE.

~Kileigh Silverarow~
Bristle-backed Peccary Killer! Grrr!

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" -George Eliot
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/09/2008 09:02 PM CST
Those are decent ranks for vipers aren't they?
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/09/2008 09:10 PM CST
Depends on his stamina and evasion for the venom. But as far as weapon ranks yes. But as I understood it he wanted something on ratha. But he is kinda in between ratha creatures.

~Kileigh Silverarow~
Bristle-backed Peccary Killer! Grrr!

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" -George Eliot
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/10/2008 01:13 AM CST
Great! Vipers? too bad there's nothing like that on Ratha, but I'll stick it out.

le 118.70 me/he/2he 119.something...

so?

as a second held weapon when I get offhand up a little more it should be ok in swains?

just need a decent balance routine, including brawling, for light edge offhand.

>>--Shnurui-->
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/12/2008 10:12 AM CST
IP is your friend in swains if you just wanna work LE and you have it. I did it on my warrior mage till he got to the point where he could get past the weapons easy enough. Works great for ranged weapons too as they don't wear head armor and can take shots there for easy stuns and good damage
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/21/2008 09:19 AM CST
I'm an LE prime pally, and I just halted swains when I hit those ranks. It worked for awhile, though it was pretty slow going.

My ultimate recommendation would be to leave Ratha and hit up Hib for bloodvines. Would teach fantastic, and it'll be better money than swains/leucros.

Dandon
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/23/2008 01:43 PM CST
I'd suggest vipers/serpents at the Pejek Bog out the east gate of Riverhaven, or vines/creepers/marauders up in Theren. I train LE and QS as my primary weapons right now and those have taught me flawlessly through those hard ranks. I think they teach much better than swains personally, but it's a matter of preference.

~Terra
Fire Dancer of Velaka
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/24/2008 02:38 AM CST
I found Snow beast and goblins on first tier. Theyve only managed to kill me once. But I did go up to leucs and get that pesky 5 ranks, to 120.

And I dumped the bone armor backtraining...Hopefully sometime after the smithing system is functioning, we'll get to do some pretty armors and weapons too.

Of corse if I could find someone who can overgrind edge on a short sword or balance a katar...

>>--Shnurui-->
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/24/2008 09:45 PM CST
First tier snow goblins in Aesry followed by second tier snow goblins in Aesry or angiswaerd hatchlings in Throne City, is what I would do around those ranks. I still stay away from black leucros, because they have such high offense compared to their defense. No telling with those sicko's.

__
~Leilond, the Crazy Anime Ninja 1000-Macro Non-Artificial Bard
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/leicollagefinal.jpg
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com/bard_planner_v2.xls
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/25/2008 07:59 AM CST
I trained LE at around 115 in haven swamp trolls and lang peccs. I am not sure if this is still viable because this was years and years ago.
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/25/2008 08:50 AM CST
>> I trained LE at around 115 in haven swamp trolls and lang peccs. I am not sure if this is still viable because this was years and years ago. <<

This is not a viable option unless your defenses far outweigh your offenses. Snow goblins are a superb option if you have the ability for crowd control. As a Bard, I would not have survived those ranks in snow goblins without the ability to immobilize or calm all of my enemies because if they do swarm, goblins have quite a punch. But then again, I just started training shield, so I was relying on parry and evasion only. Bottom line, it really does differ what you should hunt at these ranks based on your stats, your guild/abilities, and your defensive skills. But you should try:

Silver leucro's on Ratha
Thicket vipers/Piruati serpents in Riverhaven
Young Ogres/Blood Wolves near Wolf Clan (After you climb the cliff, do not go UP at all..stay on the first level and you should be safe from Scout Ogres)
Snow Goblins (Tier 1) on Aesry
Vines/Creepers in Ker'Leor Forest west of Theren Keep (my personal favorite for those ranks)
Grave Worms in the Manor Area south of Leth Deriel (dangerous to get to and they swarm)
Gargoyles/Snowbeasts north of Shard
Blue-bellied Crocodiles (South of Haven ferry or in Throne City, but the currents in Throne are a little rough)

I'd suggest thicket vipers/serpents as they're teaching me my prime weapon (vipers) at 143 ranks still and my secondary weapon at 102 ranks (Serpents) in Riverhaven so I think this is your best bet, if you can avoid the viper poison.

Hope all the info people have compiled helps you here.

~Terra
Fire Dancer of Velaka
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/25/2008 03:36 PM CST
Still looking for that short sword with a Dao's damage and a pugio's balance....The aesery Dao is good but the problem is it's balanced to get knocked out of the hand much too easilly, even with balanced agil and reflex.

>>--Shnurui>
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/25/2008 03:39 PM CST
Mekage makes a mod puncture thats reasonably balanced, I swear by it, hits like a briquet.
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/25/2008 03:42 PM CST
I'm an edge hunter, I'm certain there's someone who grinds for edge on light, somewhere. Or I'll just wait this other 30 ranks and make my own.

>>--Shnurui-->
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/27/2008 12:30 PM CST
>I'm an edge hunter, I'm certain there's someone who grinds for edge on light, somewhere. Or I'll just wait this other 30 ranks and make my own.

The best you'll get on a LE is Moderate slice - and that's on a Dismally balanced katar.

>Mekage makes a mod puncture thats reasonably balanced, I swear by it, hits like a briquet.

No, he doesn't - at least not without special metals. Unless there's a new short sword template that's been released, you are probably mistaking Poorly balanced for Reasonably balanced.

________
Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/27/2008 12:35 PM CST
Mekage does forge a short sword that is pretty much like a briq...That is why i sold all of my briq's before the price went down on them.
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/27/2008 01:57 PM CST
So Katar that's balanced?
Or Short sword that's edged?

Either way I'm still looking for one.

Dao is good, but it's balanced is screwy.

>>--Shnurui-->
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/27/2008 03:17 PM CST
Sounds like you need to find yourself an old katar. Not sure what they're running these days, but I'm guessing they're not free.
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/28/2008 08:05 AM CST
Old katars are in the 1k plat range - if you can find someone willing to sell. Good luck with that. Any forged katar is going to have very very little balance due to the nature of the template.

My advice would be to switch to ME or 2HE.

________
Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/28/2008 08:06 AM CST
I honestly used a darkly tinted oben from shard for a very long time, You might want to test one out until you get some more skill...once you are ready to move up i would get a forged katar.
Re: Learning LE post 115 without dying? 02/28/2008 08:43 AM CST
>Either way I'm still looking for one.

Get a jambiya.

>Old katars are in the 1k plat range - if you can find someone willing to sell. Good luck with that. Any forged katar is going to have very very little balance due to the nature of the template.

Try to find a hideously altered old katar if possible. I got one from a gonif auction extremely cheap.

I've got these rubber models in my office with all the reproductive organs of both sexes that I keep locked up in separate cabinets to avoid a scandal.
Prev_page Previous 1