Prev_page Previous 1
Katar 08/09/2004 08:12 AM CDT
You get a malachite and silver-inlaid katar from inside your weapons belt.

>look at kat

Well polished stones of malachite have been painstakingly inlaid into the hilt. Silver has been worked throughout the blade and a tiny paisley design has been etched into its tip.

>app kat

It is a light edged type weapon.

You guess that it could do:
no puncture damage
low slice damage
fair impact damage

You estimate that the katar is dismally balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are confident that the silver-inlaid katar is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

The silver-inlaid katar is made with metal.
The silver-inlaid katar feels pretty light.
You are confident that the silver-inlaid katar is worth about 26712 lirums.

A couple questions...First off what is a Katar? Didnt find anything on dictionary.com and I like having a mental image of what my stuff is, heh. Also, is my appraisal terrible or does this seem worth a bit much for something that is useless besides looking good?

Re: Katar 08/09/2004 08:58 AM CDT
http://www.ancient-east.com/products/daggers/katar-4500-lg.jpg

~Dulcinia

You get some crushed honey comb from inside your leather haversack.

You pull your honey comb through your hair, wincing as it drags on the tangles.

You pull your honey comb through your hair, brushing it out.
Re: Katar 08/09/2004 03:17 PM CDT
<<Right now the templates for forged LE's arent that great

Heh, they are pretty aweful from what i understand. I hope we get the new template sometime soon. Alot of cool things can be done with a halfway workable templates. its on my HSN wish list.

-Gred

Klatu...verata.....ni....Necktie... Nickel... It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word!
Re: Katar 08/09/2004 08:24 PM CDT
You slowly say, "Nice."

Thanks!
Katar vs. Leaf Blade 08/18/2004 01:09 AM CDT
As I mentioned in the General folder, I'm looking to get a slicing LE. When I had my bard down shopping in the sutler's wagon down by in Blackthorn Canyon, I saw they had a katar down there. Unfortunately, Inigoe's doesn't have it listed, so I was wondering if it would be better to buy a katar or a leaf-blade.

Anyone have a certain for the brass-hilted blackened katar so I can compare them? Or a preference between the two?

Amagaim; the player of,

Keep your chin up. You'll look tougher than you are. You'll also be accused of having an "attitude." Punch them in the groin and tell them you don't HAVE an attitude.

---Signs Of Your Life, Hentaraen 3, 3
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 08/18/2004 09:53 PM CDT
If you have the agility/reflexes for it buy a foraged mod slice katar. Best light edge out there that isn't special metals.

Light Edge going on savant. :D

-G, player thereof

---
Messenger Boy: The Thessalonian you're fighting, he's the biggest man I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.

Achilles: That is why no one will remember your name.
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 08/18/2004 10:37 PM CDT
Well, right now I'm not sure I can afford a forged katar. Only 13 plat kronars in the bank right now, which is why I was asking about store-bought weapons.

As for stats, it's for a Prydaen bard with 19 STR, 19 REF, 21 AGI, and 20 STA, circle 27. Could I handle the forged mod slicing katar if I was able to scrape up the coin?

Amagaim; the player of,

Keep your chin up. You'll look tougher than you are. You'll also be accused of having an "attitude." Punch them in the groin and tell them you don't HAVE an attitude.

Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 08/18/2004 11:05 PM CDT
>>As for stats, it's for a Prydaen bard with 19 STR, 19 REF, 21 AGI, and 20 STA, circle 27. Could I handle the forged mod slicing katar if I was able to scrape up the coin?

You could easily. The katar is a light edge after all.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 08/18/2004 11:15 PM CDT
>>>You could easily. The katar is a light edge after all.

Not if it's very light and I want to leave out conspicuous gaps in my attack patterns to catch my breath... Feels awkward to go through two attack sequences at full tilt, then wait 5 seconds between a slice and a chop to catch my breath. And that was with the stout short sword.

Basicaly, I'd love 30 stones or more. Keep my roundtimes out of the 1/1/2 range if at all possible until I can get that stamina up higher.

Amagaim; the player of,

Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 08/18/2004 11:16 PM CDT
Well, a lot of the forged ones are 39 stones. D/W, so primarily strength based. Minimum roundtime will be achieved at ~30 strength, but still fairly wieldable at 20. Strength below that starts gettin' a little tough to swing. Storeboughts are 25 stones I think with a slight decrease in stats. So, if you have the strength for it, it's totally worth it, if not... you might want to go a little lighter.
-Wig
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 08/18/2004 11:38 PM CDT
Thanks, Wig. I'm guessing that information puts me in the market for one, if I can find one in my price range. If not, then I'll live with the one in the wagon until I can afford one.

Amagaim; the player of,

Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 08/19/2004 05:52 AM CDT
>>And that was with the stout short sword.

I've noticed that jabbers tend to wear you out faster then slicers anyway

~Apprentice to Damaris
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 08/19/2004 09:42 AM CDT
The overall effectiveness of jabbers vs. slicers is also dependent upon what defenses you are using. The manuevers for slicers and jabbers incur different penalties to different defenses.

~Bractos

Weapon Forging
A barbarian's inherent understanding of weapons makes him or her a natural at the forge. Anyone can forge a crude weapon, but only barbarians can produce legendary quality weapons sought after by all.
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 08/19/2004 08:31 PM CDT
Could you elaborate on this? I've never heard anything about that before...

Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 08/19/2004 09:13 PM CDT
Talking about dodge and parry I assume...as well of the diffrant combo for an LE jabber and a LE slicer.

~Apprentice to Damaris
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 08/19/2004 09:22 PM CDT
Every combat manuever (or nearly so) has a different modifier to evasion, parry, and shield.
Jabbers use different combinations than slicers, so defenses are affected differently by jabbing combinations than by slicing combinations.
For instance, while one manuever might pose a large penalty to your parry and/or evasion defense, it might be pretty good for your shield defense, but if you aren't using a shield you get crushed because you tanked your defenses because of the offensive move you chose.
I haven't had the patience to cross-reference the defensive modifiers with the balance-gain paths because I'm sure it will be extraordinarily tedious. I just have my gut instincts and general observations from a fair bit of melee fighting.

~Bractos

Weapon Forging
A barbarian's inherent understanding of weapons makes him or her a natural at the forge. Anyone can forge a crude weapon, but only barbarians can produce legendary quality weapons sought after by all.
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 08/19/2004 09:40 PM CDT
Yes Bractos is right, a GM posted similar just after the changes.

In the end all things return to Chaos
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 08/21/2004 06:55 PM CDT
I'm gonna have to disagree with a forged mod slice or impact katar being the best LE, I think old katars are the best.

It is a light edged type weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
poor puncture damage
fair slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the katar is poorly balanced and is well suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the onyx-hilted katar is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

The onyx-hilted katar is made with metal.
The onyx-hilted katar feels pretty light.
You are certain that the onyx-hilted katar is worth exactly 2875 kronars.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

Sslad
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 08/22/2004 01:18 PM CDT
>Yes Bractos is right, a GM posted similar just after the changes.

ya, anybody got that post?

brandon

Heck no, that would ruin my destruction of the guild. I'll be aiming for the trash that everyone throws out.

GM - Talian

IRL if i'm fighting a narcoleptic and they fall asleep midway through. The fight is over.

Rebwolf
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 08/28/2004 05:03 PM CDT
>>I'm gonna have to disagree with a forged mod slice or impact katar being the best LE, I think old katars are the best.

Why do you say that? The mod slice katars have the same balance and strength adaptation, and its really easy to get min RT on the heavier mod-slice one. So if you have min RT on both... why would you go with the weaker blade that has the least potential?

- Saint Korsik

If you're feelin' bold, And you must be told,
You'll feel a whack upon your back, From a knuckleduster made of gold,

http://www.cutelittlekittens.com
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 08/28/2004 05:18 PM CDT
<<Why do you say that? The mod slice katars have the same balance and strength adaptation, and its really easy to get min RT on the heavier mod-slice one. So if you have min RT on both... why would you go with the weaker blade that has the least potential?>>

Old katars have much more balance and a little more suitedness to strength. That makes up for the little less in either puncture or impact depending on the forged katar.
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 08/28/2004 05:55 PM CDT
ya old katars had poor balance compared to dismal and it really makes a big diffrence thats why the GMs changed the app they considered it to powerful

~thyw
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 08/29/2004 08:42 PM CDT
Old katar is way better then forged katars are. Currently the best LE you can have if you ask me. Unless of course ya can uhmm use a pointy one from hiding, then there is better choices.

And just in case anyone is interested in obtaining a old katar I happen to have one for sale. Current bid is 150 and if you have more questions you can reach me via aim at ender44. Thanks

Rej
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 08/29/2004 10:49 PM CDT
Glase or kertig would be best for short sword. Damite might work, but gives not consturction increase.

Juggernaut Magdar Bluefletch of M'Riss
http://www.play.net/dr/info/guilds/barb.asp
......Special Abilities......
BERSERK
ROAR
Battle Dances
Inner Fire
!!!!!!Weapon Forging !!!!!!!!!
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 09/08/2004 02:12 PM CDT
<<Old katar is way better then forged katars are. Currently the best LE you can have if you ask me. Unless of course ya can uhmm use a pointy one from hiding, then there is better choices.>>

How does this rate?

You are certain that it could do:
poor puncture damage
fair slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the claw is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

I know there are some serious disadvantages to the claw in terms of wield requirements, but how does it rate just as an LE?
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 09/08/2004 02:40 PM CDT
My opinion is that the claw from the lion gauntlets is one of the best LE in the game. All those fairs really add up. The disadvantage is the small shield you're stuck with in your other hand.

Effectiveness aside, the gauntlets are one of the coolest items in the game too, IMO.

~Bractos

Weapon Forging
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 09/08/2004 02:51 PM CDT
<<The disadvantage is the small shield you're stuck with in your other hand.>>

I have to agree. With Divine Armor I can get it up to "very good", which is better than nothing, but is quite a disadvantage vs. the better shields.

Still worth it though, imo.
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 09/08/2004 04:26 PM CDT
Which is why a lot of us would give our front teeth to be able to pop out a single claw. ;-)

Personally, I think the shield is very good once you figure in the automatic repair, low wield weight, and zero storage weight. I think that balances out the fact that it has less-than-awe-inspiring protection.

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 09/08/2004 04:36 PM CDT
Agreed. It fits a rather small niche of the DR population, i.e. plate-using, shield-using, LE wielders.

As a follow-up question...Does LE stand up to the higher circles, or does it fall behind the heavier blades in overall effectiveness?
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 09/08/2004 05:42 PM CDT
For straight melee and sheer offensive force, it falls behind. It does have its advantages though, and hopefully with the weapons rewrite and dual wield will gain back some ground. It once was much better than it is now.
It's advantages: faster charge, faster balance gain, a bit faster faster clean up of immobilized opponents.

~Bractos

Weapon Forging
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 09/09/2004 07:16 AM CDT
hmm, how much does the lion gauntlets run for these days?

N
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 09/09/2004 10:50 AM CDT
100-250 plat, recently.

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 09/09/2004 12:16 PM CDT
If you can find them for 100, that's a steal.
They've been pretty steady at 200 average for a couple years at least I'd say.

~Bractos

Weapon Forging
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 09/09/2004 07:54 PM CDT
hefty little price there. guess i better start saving up my coppers now.

Novice N.
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 09/10/2004 03:50 PM CDT
Personally, if you can find an 'old' katar for sale I would buy it instead of the lion gauntlets. I was lucky enough to practically steal one and have loved it ever since.

-Everything I know I got by eating the brains of smart people.
Re: Katar vs. Leaf Blade 09/10/2004 06:37 PM CDT
i liked the talon blades alot... but old katar rules... all in all though if you have enough agility won't matter either way though

Thyw
Forged Katar 11/15/2004 08:30 PM CST
If anyone has a forged moderate slicing katar that's on the light side(38 stones at most) that they're trying to sell, I'd be grateful if you could IM me at stigma21215. I'm lookin to buy one.

Call me baby-face Lei.
40 Stone Mod Slice Katars 03/26/2005 06:28 PM CST
Price? Who sells?

-G, player thereof

---
Messenger Boy: The Thessalonian you're fighting, he's the biggest man I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Achilles: That is why no one will remember your name.
Mod Impact Katar? 06/01/2005 01:25 PM CDT
Greetings -

I was looking into a decent LE for a 30th circle Cleric with LE primary.

I've heard that the moderate impact katars are one of the best investments. Anyone have any comments on mod impact vs. mod slice for katar? I'm a huge fan of impact, so I tend to lean towards that myself.

On the same note, is there anyone that can forge a nice (capped I guess?) moderate impact katar. Please let me know how much and the stats - I'm currently around Crossing.

On the same note, if you also have one of those jambiya's please let me know how much for that as well. Since their popularity has dictated that they are for sale more often than for free.

Thanks Kindly!
AIM: MalletDR
Or send to my play.net address.
Re: Mod Impact Katar? 06/03/2005 01:53 PM CDT
I have never heard of a mod impact katar. Slice yes, impact no...

--Just a "clueless" Squire

Now I lay me down to sleep;
I pray Solomon my soul to keep.
If I should walk before I wake;
I pray that Simutronics a restore will make.
Prev_page Previous 1