Re: Mod Impact Katar? 06/03/2005 01:54 PM CDT
As Rafiki would say, "Look, Harder"
Re: Mod Impact Katar? 06/03/2005 01:57 PM CDT
I stand corrected. I am afterall:

--Just a "clueless" Squire

Now I lay me down to sleep;
I pray Solomon my soul to keep.
If I should walk before I wake;
I pray that Simutronics a restore will make.
Katars 07/05/2007 10:22 AM CDT
I've been mainly using a shield as of late. Are katars and LE in general viable if I'm not parrying, or are they still lacking even despite the no-parry factor? Strength is 24 agility is 26.

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: Katars 07/05/2007 10:50 AM CDT
Use a jambiya.

________
"Just an observation, but you do not seem to know what you are talking about, and the things you say seem generally unintelligent."
Re: Katars 07/05/2007 12:28 PM CDT
If you can't get a jambiya, try the oben from Shard or the curved kythe from Knife Clan for a slicing LE.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Katars 07/05/2007 01:00 PM CDT
M, I dub thee King Balance.

Re: Katars 07/05/2007 01:47 PM CDT
Well I can't go get a jambiya myself so, other options:
Re: Katars 07/05/2007 01:51 PM CDT
Polished Lion Claw Throwing Dagger... or just go to Haven and ask Ciressa the trader to sell you a jambiya. She sells them for less than a gold.

________
"Just an observation, but you do not seem to know what you are talking about, and the things you say seem generally unintelligent."
Re: Katars 07/05/2007 02:43 PM CDT
If I remember correctly, the leaf-blade sword sold at the weapon shop on the west side of Riverhaven apps the same as a jambiya, so you might try one of those.
Re: Katars 07/05/2007 02:45 PM CDT
>> Polished Lion Claw Throwing Dagger... or just go to Haven and ask Ciressa the trader to sell you a jambiya. She sells them for less than a gold.

Think I might just do that
Re: Katars 07/05/2007 06:37 PM CDT
Once I got my katar of doom, I never looked back.

Of course, don't even think about parrying with it.

__
~Leilond, the one who is backtraining yet again and who is obsessed with power.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/leilondsootherin.png
Re: Katars 07/05/2007 06:49 PM CDT
Yes, you're better off mastering the subtle art of the face parry.

Aveda's Field Guide
http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com
Hot hot hot scripts, Antique P5 maps, a macro tutorial, skill & stat training advice, and plenty of Bardly goodness.
Reckus 3 is out! Works for all guilds! 5/21/2007
Mod Impact vs Mod Slice Katar 07/06/2007 10:52 AM CDT
Which do you prefer, and why? I've used a moderate slice katar since the beginning, but am curious about the benefits and drawbacks of moderate impact versus moderate slice.

Also, is there anyone around who is still able to get either of these at 37 stones?

>app kat careful
A pearl grey katar is a light edged melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
poor puncture damage
moderate slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the katar is dismally balanced and is well suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the pearl grey katar is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

The pearl grey katar is made with metal.
You are certain that the pearl grey katar weighs exactly 37 stones.
You are certain that the pearl grey katar is worth exactly 750 kronars.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

__
Re: Mod Impact vs Mod Slice Katar 07/06/2007 10:54 AM CDT
Basically I think it's going to have to do with what you're hunting. Especially against skeletons and vykathi (what comes to mind) you'd want to use the impact katar because those creatures are slice resistent. For creatures that carry a shield, probably impact. But for something that's just evading, like a natural quadriped creature, slice is probably better to have.

Re: Mod Impact vs Mod Slice Katar 07/06/2007 11:00 AM CDT
Hmm, guess I'll just get one of each.

So, anyone still have a 37 stone moderate impact katar?

__
Re: Mod Impact vs Mod Slice Katar 07/06/2007 11:37 AM CDT
Slice resistance is obviously a special case, and very rare.

I've always used slice but I've heard people that know say mod impact is better, since it will deal the same amount of damage but with greater balance hits.

-Sephos
Re: Mod Impact vs Mod Slice Katar 07/06/2007 04:57 PM CDT
I've got the Outcast katar and I think 40 stone mod impact katar. From what I remember, I wasn't too impressed with the mod impact against kartais. This is from a small sample though, but it didn't seem to deal much more damage than the mod slice. If it did, it wasn't very noticeable. You got me curious though so I might just break it out the vault and try it out again.

Is it possible to forge a mod slice/impact katar? That'd be a weapon I'd drop a few plat on.
Re: Katars 07/08/2007 11:08 AM CDT
<<If I remember correctly, the leaf-blade sword sold at the weapon shop on the west side of Riverhaven apps the same as a jambiya, so you might try one of those. >>

A LOT heavier though, was using my leaf bladed sword but it was tiring me out after 1-2 critters in a row. With my Jambiya its smooth sailing.

~Birkan Featherhands teh Drunken Prydaen
Jambia vs. Forged Katar 01/11/2009 04:29 PM CST
The character's relevant stats:
Strength 11
Agility 21

Wondering whether I should continue using my Jambiya or swap to a forged Katar for maximum damage output. Either way it'll be used in the character's off hand, so parrying isn't an issue as far as balance goes.

If anybody reading this has compared the two in similar circumstances to see which will produce the better damage output per time, I'd be glad to know what results you've had.

The character is a barbarian, in case you want to factor that into any responses.

Denstimar Dustyfoot
Idon Raider - www.idonraiders.com
"Have you not learned great lessons from those who braced themselves against you, and disputed passage with you?" - Walt Whitman
Re: Jambia vs. Forged Katar 01/15/2009 09:37 PM CST
Just to answer my own question, having done some testing now. Even with much higher agility than strength, a well forged katar grossly outperforms the jambiya. I literally saw my average strikes against like-level critters go from good/solid to very heavy/massive.

Denstimar Dustyfoot
Idon Raider - www.idonraiders.com
"Have you not learned great lessons from those who braced themselves against you, and disputed passage with you?" - Walt Whitman
Katars 07/28/2010 02:24 AM CDT
I'm sure this has been brought up before but since the boards don't have a search engine I'd rather not trudge through 1000 posts to find the answer. How are katars in DR designed? I'm curious because the katar of the real world is a fairly ineffective slicing weapon and was primarily designed as a punching weapon.

I'm just curious because I have trouble picturing a punching dagger as anything but that, and to see it as the most effective slicing LE in the game confuses me greatly.

Oban Mestofolles
Re: Katars 07/28/2010 06:30 AM CDT
Yea, I only wish they had punching daggers which acted as swappable brawling/LE weapons in DR. Maybe someday, post smithing rewrite.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Katars 07/28/2010 03:35 PM CDT
>>I'm just curious because I have trouble picturing a punching dagger as anything but that, and to see it as the most effective slicing LE in the game confuses me greatly.

I'm still pretty confident the original creator mixed up kukris and katars.
Re: Katars 07/28/2010 07:41 PM CDT
>>I'm still pretty confident the original creator mixed up kukris and katars.

This would be my best guess. Though there is a single kuhkri somewhere in DR.
Re: Katars 07/28/2010 07:45 PM CDT
weapons in DR are odd when compared to their real life counter part.

But they are also completely made up ones as well so it evens out, maybe.

Re: Katars 07/28/2010 11:33 PM CDT
>>But they are also completely made up ones as well so it evens out, maybe.

I've seen made-up names for otherwise completely real weapons, but I can't recall seeing a completely made-up weapon in DR.
Re: Katars 07/29/2010 01:03 AM CDT
>I've seen made-up names for otherwise completely real weapons, but I can't recall seeing a completely made-up weapon in DR.

If it had a made up name, how could you tell?

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi, Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Katars 07/29/2010 06:56 AM CDT
<<but I can't recall seeing a completely made-up weapon in DR. >>

I challenge you to find a real-life weapon named a hhr'ata!

S'kra weapon affectionado...

Necromancy provides the only source of reliable and potent life extension on Elanthia.

Re: Katars 07/29/2010 07:14 AM CDT
::I've seen made-up names for otherwise completely real weapons, but I can't recall seeing a completely made-up weapon in DR.::

You has graphics?
Re: Katars 07/29/2010 08:50 AM CDT
I don't has graphics! I feel cheated!

Grixlek says, "Courage is dangerous, it leads to attempts at heroics..."
Vegas asks, "What like dating?"
Grixlek says, "Nothing that dangerous I believe, but still crazy stuff."
Re: Katars 07/31/2010 12:58 AM CDT
>>But they are also completely made up ones as well so it evens out, maybe.

Which brings me to another of my pet peeves. Why would they make up weapons in a text game? I have no concept of what a khri'katana'ssla'dingo is or how it's used in combat. Does it have one blade? Four blades? I don't know!

Between the many cultures of the real world you think they could use the hundreds of thousands of weapons developed over the course of human history.

Oban Mestofolles
Re: Katars 10/04/2010 01:38 PM CDT
A khri'katana'ssla'dingo ate my baby!
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page