Prev_page Previous 1
Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 02/28/2011 12:46 PM CST
Is there anything that can be done with regard to what seems like no spawn at all when someone in a hunting ground is endlessly dancing with 4 creatures? I can sit in one spot for 30 minutes and not see a single spawn, move around and still not see one.
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 02/28/2011 01:02 PM CST
Which area are you talking about?

It would be hard for the GMs to look at the spawn rate if they do not know which of the more than 1000 critters to look at.

Please feel free to contact me (DR-Ikia@play.net), Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at (DR-
Sidatura@play.net) or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at (DR-
Annwyl@play.net).
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 02/28/2011 01:04 PM CST
Tier 3 snow goblins. 1 person w/ 4 goblins and never killin' em seems to lock spawn completely. Nothing.
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 02/28/2011 01:13 PM CST
<< Is there anything that can be done with regard to what seems like no spawn at all when someone in a hunting ground is endlessly dancing with 4 creatures? I can sit in one spot for 30 minutes and not see a single spawn, move around and still not see one. >>

Post in the creature folders with the name of the hunting area/critter and suggest spawn be increased. Most of the time GMs wont do anything about it, but occasionally they will. Generally you just have to find a new hunting area where spawn is set higher.

IMO every hunting area should be set to at least spawn 4 per hunter.
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 02/28/2011 01:23 PM CST
>>IMO every hunting area should be set to at least spawn 4 per hunter.

The plus side of this is that it allows people to maximize the amount of EXP they can get out of the creatures.

The downside is that it pretty much sets the bar so that a player shouldn't hunt there until they can handle three or four of the creatures on them, or at least kill them really fast.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 02/28/2011 01:57 PM CST
This also happens in shalswar regularly too. Someone stands there casting buff spells over and over for half an hour and tying up all 4 critters. It seems that the auto retreat mechs are gone or don't work there. And what's worse is if they decide to kill off one or two shalswar, the DP dismount and they STILL have all of the spawn in their room.
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 02/28/2011 03:20 PM CST
Anyone that likes to have MO locked, probably needs to train/dance with 4 critters. Length of time to lock of course, dependent upon skill. I always feel 'lucky' if I ever get 4 things at melee with me these days...

...And if I do, then always conscience/frequently check via 'hunt' for other adventurers in the vicinity.
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 02/28/2011 05:20 PM CST
>Anyone that likes to have MO locked, probably needs to train/dance with 4 critters. Length of time to lock of course, dependent upon skill. I always feel 'lucky' if I ever get 4 things at melee with me these days...

Just as a reminder to all those who hunt in limited spawn areas - 3/34 is the same as 34/34. Locking is not necessary to maintain optimum learning rates.
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 02/28/2011 06:42 PM CST
>Just as a reminder to all those who hunt in limited spawn areas - 3/34 is the same as 34/34. Locking is not necessary to maintain optimum learning rates.

But it really helps when you want an exp pool to drain when you go off and do other things.

The difference in advancement rates between skills you can lock and skills you can't is big because you can train other skills you can lock, then go back to the originally locked skill before it drains out and fill it up again before offline drain.

If you can only get a skill to 3/34 you are pretty screwed because not only are you stuck training it for longer periods (and worse if it is a skill that is hard to train at the same time as others), but you can't stockpile for downtime.

Lose-Lose all the way around.

-pete
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 02/28/2011 07:20 PM CST
>>Tier 3 snow goblins. 1 person w/ 4 goblins and never killin' em seems to lock spawn completely. Nothing.

Good luck, I complained about this endlessly like 3 years ago. Third tier spawns 2 per person, so yep with you and one other it's 4. I person can screw it over for others.

Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 02/28/2011 07:38 PM CST
>But it really helps when you want an exp pool to drain when you go off and do other things.

>The difference in advancement rates between skills you can lock and skills you can't is big because you can train other skills you can lock, then go back to the originally locked skill before it drains out and fill it up again before offline drain.

>If you can only get a skill to 3/34 you are pretty screwed because not only are you stuck training it for longer periods (and worse if it is a skill that is hard to train at the same time as others), but you can't stockpile for downtime.

>Lose-Lose all the way around.

I agree. My answer was based on the approach that MO is generally a skill that learns passively. I haven't seen too many people put much work into training MO as their primary objective - most of the time, we're just learning as we go.

There is an element of common courtesy though. If you are looking to train MO, you probably shouldn't pick an area that spawns at a rate of less than 4 per hunter or you could be really inconsiderate to your fellow hunters. In areas like this, I've always been an advocate of occasionally going into that person's room and clearing it out for them.
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 02/28/2011 08:42 PM CST
>>Third tier spawns 2 per person, so yep with you and one other it's 4. I person can screw it over for others.

You're always within your rights, if not necessarily good manners, to walk into their room and kill snoblins. If you want to hunt there with that person, you're going to have to either be nice about it and ask to hunt with them, or be rude about it and just kill things in their room.
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 02/28/2011 08:49 PM CST
Maybe they should move up if it takes 30 minutes with 4 on them to lock? That's pretty inefficient training, I'd think, because their other combats have to be around the MO or higher so they're learning even less in all the other skills. I'm just glad I'm a MM and can be in another province almost immediately finding a similarly skilled critter when the need arises. (I do feel bad for the other guilds who can travel as easily though).
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 02/28/2011 09:01 PM CST
Even though the 2 per hunter in T3 sucks I think I'm going to stick it out. It's rather difficult to find such a good hunting area these days (skins + boxes). It seems like in any hunting area you can only get 2/3 desirable traits (skins, boxes, swarmy). Something tells me though that at a point I'm going to have to pick one (probably boxes) and go with it and suffer backtraining later.
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 02/28/2011 09:45 PM CST
>>There is an element of common courtesy though. If you are looking to train MO, you probably shouldn't pick an area that spawns at a rate of less than 4 per hunter or you could be really inconsiderate to your fellow hunters. In areas like this, I've always been an advocate of occasionally going into that person's room and clearing it out for them.

Some people play characters that are very inconsiderate of fellow hunters. So yes, settling it IG would probably be the way to go.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 02/28/2011 10:47 PM CST
Just want to add that while I understand how annoying this is, with MO technically 'going away' as we know it with the combat changes, it might not be a big enough concern for long enough to warrant much time to fix.

Not that I'm unsympathetic to the situation, just something to think about.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/03/2011 04:50 PM CST
>IMO every hunting area should be set to at least spawn 4 per hunter.

This.

> The downside is that it pretty much sets the bar so that a player shouldn't hunt there until they can handle three or four of the creatures on them

Baby Everild forbid a critter kill an unprepared adventurer!

>Just as a reminder to all those who hunt in limited spawn areas - 3/34 is the same as 34/34.

Stop posting this like it's true. If you ever want to log out or do something else, 3 and 34 are not even remotely the same.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/03/2011 07:25 PM CST
>>Baby Everild forbid a critter kill an unprepared adventurer!

That's not what unprepared means.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/04/2011 12:28 AM CST
>If you ever want to log out or do something else, 3 and 34 are not even remotely the same.

-Reverend Gidien

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/04/2011 03:35 AM CST
> The downside is that it pretty much sets the bar so that a player shouldn't hunt there until they can handle three or four of the creatures on them, or at least kill them really fast.

This is precisely the problem. If you can handle 3+ critters safely, you are underhunting (at least in term of defenses). The last thing I want to do is force people to have to underhunt to survive more than is already the case.

We are looking at some other options to resolve problems like this, but increasing spawn rate is not a good option for many reasons, including the rather major one noted above.

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/04/2011 03:40 AM CST
>>Baby Everild forbid a critter kill an unprepared adventurer!

>> That's not what unprepared means.

This isn't about being unprepared. This is about people deliberately underhunting (if they are dancing with 4 goblins, they are underhunting, plain and simple). If we adjust spawn rates to account for this, we make the areas less huntable or even completely unhuntable for the people who SHOULD be there. Our current system is problematical, to be sure, but fixing it by just turning up the spawn rates just makes more problems than it solves, ranging from making areas unusable by the target levels to screwing up the economy even more than it already is by making fertile killing fields for looters, with dozens of other problems great and small between.

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/04/2011 04:19 AM CST
If you are backtraining and able to dance with 4, you are where you should be. I have a 600 rank diffenence between my leather armor and my chains and Light plate. With the coming changes, I am building up these low armor so I can use them (per the must be close to circle for full effectivness post) and getting extra bits to apply to the new defense skill.

I have also taken up wind and percussion for the extra bits in lore for crafting.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Transcendent Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/04/2011 08:12 AM CST
> If you are backtraining and able to dance with 4, you are where you should be.

Not really. If you can dance with 4 without serious risk, your defenses aren't being challenged enough to require staying -- considering you (presumably) aren't dying with a substantial penalty to all active defenses in addition to the penalties being imposed by your armor. You can move up the ladder. Really you can.

Note: I am not saying you don't have to step down a few notches in the hunting ladder from time to time when backtraining, although this is far more rare with armor than other skills, since at the current time almost all armor hindrance goes away between 70-150 ranks depending on the armor.

What I am saying is that if you can dance with 4 in virtual safety, you are underhunting too far as far as defenses are concerned, and tying up resources that should be going to players who are at that level range and need them more than you do.

- GM Dartenian

Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/04/2011 08:30 AM CST
I personally don't move down the ladder for armor backtraining. As long as you have enough evasion/shield for the area you are hunting in, training a new armor should be safe enough. I just put greaves on in whatever new armor I want to train and make sure I'm blocking with shield. Trains fine, still with minimal risk at level.

Weapons obviously are a different story. But if you're training new weapons you aren't dancing with four so that's not really an issue here.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/04/2011 08:51 AM CST
> Weapons obviously are a different story. But if you're training new weapons you aren't dancing with four so that's not really an issue here.

Bingo!

I do realize that there is a certain comfort in dancing in areas where you can handle the engagement cap safely to train defenses. However, this does create serious problems for people who are hunting at level, and raising the gen rate just isn't going to solve the problem since it will make the area unhuntable for the same people who are training "at level".

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we are looking at various solutions. Raising the gen rate (past 2.5 or 3 per player, anyway) is not one of them.

- GM Dartenian

Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/04/2011 09:00 AM CST
>>What I am saying is that if you can dance with 4 in virtual safety, you are underhunting too far as far as defenses are concerned, and tying up resources that should be going to players who are at that level range and need them more than you do.

I have another 200 ranks to go before I can switch hunting grounds again (hopefully for the last time) and I hunt in "virtual safety." In essence, only botched defense rolls and superb offense rolls by the critter can kill me. 90% of the time they can't hit me.

I could train defenses at the next step up the ladder, but I couldn't train weapons at the next step up. Effectively, anyway.

Long live underhunting?
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/04/2011 09:13 AM CST
<<Long live underhunting?

You missed what Dart said. If you are underhunting (backtraining) weapons, then there is no issue because you are killing things.

If you are hogging spawn for defense training, then that is an issue.

For me, just use some darn common sense and kill some things every now and then no matter how you are training. That is courteous to everyone around you and causes no issues.

Madigan
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/04/2011 09:27 AM CST
>>You missed what Dart said. If you are underhunting (backtraining) weapons, then there is no issue because you are killing things.

>>If you are hogging spawn for defense training, then that is an issue.

>>For me, just use some darn common sense and kill some things every now and then no matter how you are training. That is courteous to everyone around you and causes no issues.

I guess I wasn't clear. I learn defenses where I hunt more or less fine. It requires that I have a fourth creature on me for MO to even creep, but it does creep with four. I don't normally bother training it.

However, I do frequently have four on me. Especially if I'm training lighter weapons and not dancing. With Dragon Dance, everything goes down in 3 hits at the outside. Without it, it takes up to a dozen. This, ironically, makes Dragon Dance not so great for training some things, but great for others.

I generally have no issue with someone coming in and hunting with me, provided they at least say something to me first, of course, and I'm not above walking into someone's room and asking them to kill something.

Here's the issue: there is zero motivation for people to take greater risks in hunting. This game is about total time invested with maximum learning rate achieved. Hunting on level, with appropriate risk, is counterintuitive when you are rewarded similarly for hunting under level. Add in people like me who train a multitude of weapons and naturally have more developed defenses, and underhunting is bound to be more common than not.
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/04/2011 09:34 AM CST
The solution IMO is easy (implementation is probably harder but that's your guys' problem)

Hunting areas should teach better at their level, but have harder experience caps. If you don't want someone milking experience, then stop them from doing it by having hard caps.

You can't really say someone is underhunting when they are locking 2 armors, 3 weapons, and all defenses and being almost completely immune to attacks. That's at level. At level is defined by how experience is rewarded from how the GM's set it up and that isn't going to change ever. If you don't want it that way then change it, otherwise everyone will keep dancing in an almost immune state to gain experience.

That's how I see it anyways.

Forged Weapons:
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/04/2011 09:51 AM CST
While I could probably attack and kill an elder armadillo if I really tried and used all of my debuffing abilities, I'm pretty sure they would also kill me many more times than I am comfortable with and would halt any progress I would have otherwise made due to EXP loss from death :)

I constantly attack and kill adult armadillos and am able to stand against 4 of them safely barring "just as the opponent fumbles" rolls. Defense skills seem to lock easily and naturally by themselves while I'm attacking and killing them so I don't ever need to just sit and milk defense exp.

tl;dr I guess the real issue is when someone stays in a hunting ground and must cease attacking in order to train defenses to optimum learning states?

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/04/2011 10:13 AM CST
> Hunting areas should teach better at their level, but have harder experience caps.

Agreed. The only real problem there is the extensive hunting gaps in DR, especially on the provincial level. On the bright side, I have been spending a lot of time discussing this very thing with GM Ulerith, our magnificent and hard-working Critter Guru, and we are working towards identifying (she's amazing when it comes to data tracking) and plugging a lot of the gaps.

I am pushing hard on getting the Combat 3.0 rewrite finished. It should help people hunt much more successfully and with much greater reward at their skill level, as well as provide ways to backtrain without having to drop down too many rungs on the ladder. With any luck, the first major round of testing should begin in the very near future, although I want to be clear that the first round of testing will be purely "calibration" testing -- meaning testing to help me determine how to tweak the numbers so that x ranks vs x ranks is ideal.

Stay tuned for some fun trivia in the next couple of weeks regarding just how people are hunting in terms of their skill vs the skill of their opponents. I think it will open a lot of eyes to just how skewed things are now.

- GM Dartenian

Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/04/2011 10:22 AM CST
>>tl;dr I guess the real issue is when someone stays in a hunting ground and must cease attacking in order to train defenses to optimum learning states?

Yeah I think that is it. In an optimum world no one would need to dance IMO. I think that's what they want as well.

I wanted to add, MO is definately partially at fault. To train that skill you definately HAVE to dance.

Forged Weapons:
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/04/2011 10:22 AM CST
I have the hardest time with any hunting ground that teaches defenses with only 2 critters on me. This usually means as soon as a third one gets on me I start taking hits and die in short order.

-Reverend Gidien

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/04/2011 10:27 AM CST
well in my case numbers are skewed because of creatures that teach other skills well compared to their combats. i.e. Giant wasps are great for hiding.
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/04/2011 10:48 AM CST
Your words are very inspiring Dart :)

For a while it was as if the Combat 3.0 system had died when you stopped posting for so long!

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/04/2011 11:03 AM CST
>>For me, just use some darn common sense and kill some things every now and then no matter how you are training. That is courteous to everyone around you and causes no issues.

Differences in guild abilities, skillsets, and weapon choice can make it difficult for someone NOT to dance to train as effectively as possible. So Bill the Paladin who trains 2HE, HE, and ME as his weapons may have an entirely different training experience than Brad the Barb who trains long bow, LT, and MB. There's some dancing in my training routine, but it allows me to mindlock all my combats in 20-25 minutes. I feel that as long as someone is willing to accept potential conflict, they shouldn't be required to be courteous to others. It's not anyone's fault that the current system actually encourages dancing in some cases for maximum training efficiency.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/04/2011 11:22 AM CST
>>I have the hardest time with any hunting ground that teaches defenses with only 2 critters on me. This usually means as soon as a third one gets on me I start taking hits and die in short order.

Heh. When I start feeling safe with 3 critters at melee on me, I take it that means it's time to move up a tier.
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/04/2011 02:01 PM CST
<<This is about people deliberately underhunting (if they are dancing with 4 goblins, they are underhunting, plain and simple).>>

<<If you can dance with 4 without serious risk, your defenses aren't being challenged enough to require staying -- considering you (presumably) aren't dying with a substantial penalty to all active defenses in addition to the penalties being imposed by your armor.>>

The dancing with 4 (or 3) rule isn't equally true for all guilds. The armor penalty you mention is a key point, and it's affected by skillset placement. This effect is worst with thieves and necros because their evasion is two skill sets ahead of their armors.

As evasion prime and armor tert, my evasion always leaps far ahead of armor every time I go up the creature ladder. This skews my 80% calculation. So before I go up the ladder yet again, I need to wait until my armors catch up. It doesn't matter how many creatures I can dance with. I can't neglect my armors. And because I'm armor tert it just takes a long time for them to catch up. The question isn't how well are my defenses set up versus the current creature; it's how well are they set up to face the next stronger creature. I want to be well-trained, and I won't be if I let my armors seriously lag my evasion when I try to go up the creature ladder.

Kaxis
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/05/2011 07:28 PM CST
backtraining parry can easily get me killed if i don't dance with 4 and cap them out completely before moving to the next critter up. Because i have to turn evasion far enough down in my stances in order to learn it.

Although i mostly play in plat and in TF, so "hogging" critter-spawn isn't an issue. nobody is usually in the area in either instance.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/06/2011 01:51 AM CST
> Because i have to turn evasion far enough down in my stances in order to learn it.

Yes, this is a problem, and was among the first things I worked on while rewriting combat. The need to stance down one defense to learn others will be going away. This should help immensely.

- GM Dartenian

Prev_page Previous 1