Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/06/2011 02:23 AM CST
<<The need to stance down one defense to learn others will be going away.>>

This is spectacular. Thanks!

Kaxis
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/06/2011 03:16 AM CST
Yes, this is a problem, and was among the first things I worked on while rewriting combat. The need to stance down one defense to learn others will be going away. This should help immensely.

- GM Dartenian

Is this days, weeks, or Months away from happening?

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Transcendent Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/06/2011 04:53 PM CST
Thanks Dart, that's great news

Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/06/2011 06:03 PM CST
that is freakin' awesome news.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/18/2011 12:12 AM CDT
So wait, if I can dance safely with 3 leucros, but the 4th kills me in short order...

I should move UP the critter ladder rather than buffing and dancing with 4 to actually train MO? (3 don't teach MO)
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/18/2011 02:38 AM CDT
> So wait, if I can dance safely with 3 leucros, but the 4th kills me in short order...

No one claims the current system works well. Quite the opposite. On the other hand, the game was not intended for people to be dancing with 4 or more critters, so if you are, you probably should expect to die. Combat was intended to be ACTIVE (ie you kill things!), not dancing. Yes, I realize learning MO (and sometimes defenses) doesn't always allow for that, but when hunting "at level", you "should" actually learn fine (including MO) with two enemies, and start killing anything that tries to add in so that 4 never becomes an issue and three does't last long. Keep word: should. I know it doesn't always work out that way.

But seriously, if you can handle 3 indefinitely, you are underhunting. It really doesn't matter if a fourth will kill you or not -- the reality is that three is already at the point where you should be fighting for your life. If you are not, you aren't where you really should be. At least that's the intent. Again, I realize that isn't the current reality in call cases (but it is in many and many of the people who are creating spawn issues are safely dancing with 4, which is a serious problem). Working on it. Promise.

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/18/2011 06:30 AM CDT
>But seriously, if you can handle 3 indefinitely, you are underhunting. It really doesn't matter if a fourth will kill you or not -- the reality is that three is already at the point where you should be fighting for your life. If you are not, you aren't where you really should be. At least that's the intent. Again, I realize that isn't the current reality in call cases (but it is in many and many of the people who are creating spawn issues are safely dancing with 4, which is a serious problem). Working on it. Promise.

I assume that you are talking about defense training...? It is relatively easy to get into a position where your defenses are significantly higher than your offense. I pretty much always am bumping into the soft cap on defenses about the time my offense actually start to learn well on a critter, and I literally never train defenses anymore. I've pretty much found a zone where I can handle 3-4 of anything I can kill, but due to training three primary offenses, I still learn enough defenses to keep up with my requirements. I'm kind of hoping that isn't going to go away...

-pete
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/18/2011 06:55 AM CDT
I think what he is striving for is that you can constantly be swinging your sword/mace/shooting your bow etc and keep defenses moving while offenses at the same time. So you naturally can move up when defenses and\or offenses start slowing.

There is going to be some descrepencies. Like weapons terts are probably going to have to be held back to some degree because defenses go faster and weapons prime are going to have to wait a bit to let some defenses catch up. But what we have now is a situation where people can dance with immunity, but it's also a situation that makes sense to do in a lot of situations.

Problems:

- Game allows you to dance with immunity and STILL learn great.
- Offensive factor outpaces defenses, so at higher levels if you are actively killing things everything dies in 1-2 hits and you gain no defenses because you kill TOO fast! (in most hunting areas).
- If you move up to an appropriate level, you die way more because of instant death crits.

Fixes: (IMO)
- Secure lower HARD caps on defenses across the board for critters (offenses aren't as much as problem but some tweaking may be in order).
- Make learning AT LEVEl increase, so when you're at level, you learn great defenses\great offenses.
- Balance the offensive factor/damage scale with defenses making the 1 Hit instant death a rare thing, maybe you have to be OVER-hunting for this to happen (yea combat 3.0) This will help both 1 hit instant deaths and also make critters survive longer to teach defenses at level win/win.

I think that is the general gist of things at a high-level look. Obviously there are many other things going on too, like how defenses will be calculated making a 2 handed parry stance viable or a shield/parry stance viable, making armors an active defense.

It couldn't come sooner honestly

Forged Weapons:
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/18/2011 07:12 AM CDT
> I think what he is striving for is that you can constantly be swinging your sword/mace/shooting your bow etc and keep defenses moving while offenses at the same time. So you naturally can move up when defenses and\or offenses start slowing.

Pretty much the goal, yes.

> Like weapons terts are probably going to have to be held back to some degree because defenses go faster and weapons prime are going to have to wait a bit to let some defenses catch up.

This is true now, and will always be true in a system where some skills are learned more quickly than others.

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/18/2011 11:16 AM CDT
>> Like weapons terts are probably going to have to be held back to some degree because defenses go faster and weapons prime are going to have to wait a bit to let some defenses catch up.

Now, you only mention weapons as the tert/prime skillset. I've recently noticed on my weapon/armor tert character that his weapons still cant keep up with his shield/armor when both skillsets are tertiary because of the time it takes to train multiple weapons (and by multiple I literally mean more than just 1.) This keeps him constantly underhunting in order to let his weapons catch up.

Is this what Tactics and Masteries are being added for? I understand that they are supposed to make backtraining easier, and they will have to be trainable somehow. I would figure that your relevant mastery will constantly be learning in the background of whatever weapon you're using so when you train multiples, you're still training your mastery as well.
Re: Spawn when another person is dancing with 4 critters 03/18/2011 11:37 AM CDT
>>Is this what Tactics and Masteries are being added for? I understand that they are supposed to make backtraining easier, and they will have to be trainable somehow. I would figure that your relevant mastery will constantly be learning in the background of whatever weapon you're using so when you train multiples, you're still training your mastery as well.

Yeah if you train a lot of weapons it will hold you back, I don't expect that to change. It would be nice if the weapon mastery skills were grandfathered according to what they should be, instead of circle or top weapon skill based.

Forged Weapons:
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page