Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/23/2016 10:20 AM CDT

What happens if I chain lightning in water? Is it super chain lighting, or has that synergy been lost?
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/23/2016 10:44 AM CDT
>>It's a messaging change.

Nice, thanks for the reply.

Checked that out today and then tested Chain Lightning a bit, the new Emperor Palpatine version is quite amusing.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/23/2016 11:01 AM CDT
>Chain Lighting was intentionally made available earlier in the Warrior Mage's career since AoE is such an essential part of the Warrior Mage identity.

Well. I know what I'm doing this weekend.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/27/2016 12:26 AM CDT
Quick question while working on the Cleric spell tree:

The change log doesn't list how much the spell slot reductions are specifically, although most are discover-able via discern in test. Fires of Ushnish, however, doesn't list what the spell slot cost is at all. I'm assuming it dropped from 3 slots to 2 slots or did it go all the way to a single slot?

> discern fou (on test)
An infernal cataclysm spun into magic, this spell wrings the fires of the World Dragon from its very throat! From the bowels of Elanthia's core, Ushnish's ire will spew forth -- but it will be up to your skill to converge its flows upon enemies. Beware, for calling out His name in invocation is seldom without peril.

This is an area targeted spell, which must be TARGETed at the area around you before you cast it. This spell does fire and electricity damage. It affects yourself and hostile creatures. It requires a minimum of thirty mana streams, and can expand to a maximum of one hundred mana streams woven into it. To begin to be able to cast this spell, you will need to reach the rank of a 50th degree adept. By the time you have mastered this spell, you will be ranked as a guru in your abilities as a caster. It requires the Targeted Magic skill to cast effectively.

You don't think you are able to cast this spell.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/27/2016 01:06 AM CDT
2 slots.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 01:40 AM CDT

In regards to Paladin's Holy Warrior spell: was there an increase in difficulty in addition to now using both Warding and Utility? (I'm not sure what it used before).

I learned this spell earlier in the week at circle 32, and am now unable to cast it at all. I thought I had good magic skills for my circle, as I used to practice while forging.

I hadn't used it much, but I had no difficulty in casting it.

Mithgrek

Circle: 32 |
o < > Showing Magic skills with field experience.
SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction |
Holy Magic: 245 24% nearly locked (33/34) Attunement: 238 08% rapt (30/34) |
Arcana: 218 20% enthralled (32/34) Targeted Magic: 120 44% nearly locked (33/34) |
Augmentation: 222 78% intrigued (16/34) Debilitation: 116 53% nearly locked (33/34) |
Utility: 197 39% learning (3/34) Warding: 211 10% focused (20/34)
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 01:49 AM CDT
I'm guessing your spell stance was set at 130% potency and even though your warding skill was low it was high enough for you to cast with that edge. Since your utility skill is slightly lower than your warding it's probably not enough for potency 130 to overcome.

Ask a cleric to cast Sanctify Pattern (or Moon Mage prediction) on your utility skill and if you can cast HOW you'll know if utility is the culprit.

HOW moved from esoteric to advanced but I expect that's just a change of terms and is the same difficulty as before (except that it now requires 2 skills at 250).

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 02:11 AM CDT

Ahh.. you know what, I did used to default to potency, but recently tried duration. I didn't realize that spell stance gave a skill boost. I thought it just boosted the effects.

[Tried this...]

No change. Discern says I don't have the skill, and even at minimum prep, I can't cast it. No backfire, it just fails completely due to lack of skill.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 02:14 AM CDT
>>In regards to Paladin's Holy Warrior spell: was there an increase in difficulty in addition to now using both Warding and Utility?

No, though your skills look on the low side to use it before 3.2 too so being dragged down by your 197 utility is likely taking you just a little south of being able to cast it.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 04:47 AM CDT
So did something in this change affect critter magic as well? After the change I went back into Orc Bandits, and the warcats are chain calming me again. They haven't been able to calm me for a couple months now.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 06:13 AM CDT
>>So did something in this change affect critter magic as well? After the change I went back into Orc Bandits, and the warcats are chain calming me again. They haven't been able to calm me for a couple months now.

With the caps of single target spells being lower, they're casting at a higher % of max, increasing their power.

Samsaren
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 09:46 AM CDT
This is an excellent release. It's shocking how much easier mana management is now. With the changes to attunement and cyclic caps, TR is usable now while casting around high 800s to 950 magics. I'm so used to quickly draining nearly all mana with only TR up that I keep power perceiving to make sure it's actually still up.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 10:35 AM CDT
I suspect mana regen is going to take another bump down - but I am very much enjoying being able to actually fling spells with energetic abandon.

Samsaren
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 11:13 AM CDT

I think it was already bumped down from test. At high skill ranks (1400+ magics) it definitely feels like I have to spend more mana to move skills, I am finding myself quite low on mana.

On a side note, teaching feels like its all over the place now due to the mana cap changes. Were the learning rates modified to stay in line with the amount of mana spent? Making spells easier to cast is all well and good but it at least SEEMS like learning magic is much harder for some schools now.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 11:21 AM CDT
One of the things I noticed in Test was that room mana mattered a lot more regardless of Attunement ranks. In rooms without great mana (like, less than 15/21 or so), where I could have stood around casting while working in the lower range of my attunement bar, I would run myself out in fairly short order.

Mazrian
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 11:34 AM CDT

>>I suspect mana regen is going to take another bump down

Sincerly hope not, yesterday was fine working my magics in combat never dropping below 60-70 percent in a room with fulgent (16/21) mana now I need blazing or blinding mana rooms to not suck wind.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 01:01 PM CDT
For whatever it's worth, from an M tert perspective, it's a huge buff. That M primary folks are noticing a dip in mana regen blows me away for the simple fact that I can't imagine casting being any better than it is right now on my tert, even with the still-present albeit a lot less significant difference in mana efficiency compared to primes around the same skill. That's not an argument for or against changing regen further; just an observation. I had no idea the difference between prime and tert was THAT huge before.

Granted, I rarely casted at more than ~10 mana before when training because it proved very inefficient on my tert, and my M primary character only had mid-300s magic so I don't have a feel for that perspective. With the same casting habits I had in 3.1, it's a big bump. Even training magics is easier.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 01:59 PM CDT

>>That M primary folks are noticing a dip in mana regen blows me away

The fact that I've gone from being perfectly sustainable in lower mana rooms to running out of mana in much higher mana rooms blows me away.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 02:35 PM CDT
>The fact that I've gone from being perfectly sustainable in lower mana rooms to running out of mana in much higher mana rooms blows me away.

Unless you frequently ran at the bottom of your pool, this really shouldn't be the case.

-Raesh

Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 02:49 PM CDT
Since, previously, running at the bottom of your pool was optimal, I think we just need people to re-adjust their habits.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 02:58 PM CDT

>>Unless you frequently ran at the bottom of your pool, this really shouldn't be the case.

As I've stated I usually ran around 60-70% mana, I've recapped pom to 700, took out all my capped buffing that I do at the start, am using casts of 24-25 with chaos and either 30 mana harnessed through cambrinth or straight harnessed in two of the four spells I actively cast. Using FoU at 35 mana And running hyh at 30 mana.

Cyclics dropping/Out of mana in a brilliant mana room in 473 seconds.

All this plus the capped buffing of Benediction, Auspice, Glythtide's Gift, and Righteous Wrath that I did before when I was having no mana issues at all and above 50 percent magic makes me think contrary to the it shouldn't be the case, it is.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 03:26 PM CDT
Are mana regen spells like BOTF working at intended? I am noticing no difference in mana regen while it is up vs it not being up. Granted I am at the lower end now, only being able to put 10 mana into it, but I see no change in the mana pulses with it going.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 04:04 PM CDT
>>The fact that I've gone from being perfectly sustainable in lower mana rooms to running out of mana in much higher mana rooms blows me away.<<

>>Unless you frequently ran at the bottom of your pool, this really shouldn't be the case.<<

It's making room mana matter a lot more than it used to, even with relatively high skill.

In the 3.1 environment, in rooms with relatively less mana I'd run lower on my attunement bar and the regen would pick up and help me stabalize. Between that and being more conservative in my casting practices I could muddle through. But 3.2 doesn't have that variable regen buffer and the regen rate is low enough (as a Warmage) that conservative casting practices (harnessing in smaller chunks, basically) only extend the time until I gas out. The only way to avoid going to 0 is to spend time (how much depends on how bad the room is) standing around and not casting or harnessing.

3.2 hasn't been live long enough for me to get a great feel for it in a lot of situations. I did poke around some and try some things out.

For instance, I stood around in Drakes in a room reading 15/21 for me casting Chain Lightning (prepping at 20, harnessing 20 four times) to simulate some moderately intense casting with conservative mana management and ran myself dry in about 5 minutes (electrical conditions slightly against me).

I went to a room reading 12/21 (with conditions slightly favoring) and did the same exercise, and ran dry in just barely 4 minutes.

That's on a Warrior Mage with 1250 Attunement and being conservative with mana. I imagine it's worse for more early-game casters.

Now, maybe that's a problem or maybe not. IDK if it was your intention to make room mana matter more. To me it feels like the regen rate is a little low.

Mazrian
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 04:06 PM CDT
I've had to increase my mana put into spells to train them for sure (sorcery being the most noticeable). Whether or not I'm running out of mana faster I'm not really sure. Not really complaining at this point, just mentioning it. Seem to train ok still.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 04:12 PM CDT

1500 attunement and seeing similar issues to Mazrian. Just wanted to echo that observation.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 04:16 PM CDT
Yeah, after testing definitely also running out of mana faster. In highest level room for me it's much worse.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 04:17 PM CDT
I don't know if that's because I have to pump more mana to train now or not though. I just know trying to lock magic drains me when it didn't before.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 04:37 PM CDT
Regular AoE TM doesn't kill much faster than single target, factoring longer prep time and creature limit. Would it be better if AoE were on the same cost structure as the single target variety? In other words, I think that would drop CL's cap to 75 from 100 (I don't remember the final cost structure).

As it stands, 3.2 favors seems to favor simpler single target TM spells in terms of efficiency which is fine until you get to HLC and you probably kill quicker snapping GZ or whatever (reminiscent of 2.0). CL doesn't kill 3 times quicker than GZ, but it costs 3 times more and is a few times harder to cast.

To be clear, I'm talking about aimed AoE TM spells, not cyclics.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 04:54 PM CDT
How does mana feel for lower level magic primes? What about terts and secondary.

-Raesh

Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 05:00 PM CDT

> How does mana feel for lower level magic primes? What about terts and secondary.

I've been testing with three characters in prime that are probably considered low levels.
Ranger @ 79 attunement - didn't have a problem with mana before and I still don't.
Cleric @ 236 attunement - I feel like I have so much mana now. It's great.
Empath @ 360 attunement - it feels about the same overall, but the reduced cyclic costs are definitely noticeable.

It feels really good overall.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 05:05 PM CDT
>>How does mana feel for lower level magic primes? What about terts and secondary.

Not sure this is helpful, but with around 370 Attunement I find myself running out of mana in 11/21 mana rooms, doing things that originally did not cause me to run out of mana. As an example, previously I could reach 34/34 mind states when casting Ignite with cambrinth (prepping min and doing two camb charges at 20 each). This now gets me to about 20/34 before I'm out.

I assumed this was intentional but if not, there ya go.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 05:19 PM CDT
Ranger - magic tert

549 attunement (highest magic skill)

Having to pump more mana, had to adjust my routine by charging cambrinth multiple times and using harness or I run out of mana much faster than before. Also having to put a lot more mana into my spells to get learning moving.

I'm in luminous room, highest I can perceive.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 05:43 PM CDT
My moon mage with around 250 or so in Attunement skill, with Aura Sight, and Shadowling, with three moons up, 1 full and 2 gibbous, deep attunement and efficient harnessing, has very little trouble with mana management, either in buffing or combat, at the moment. He can use TKS (his highest combat attunement sink) repeatedly if he waits for full prep, but I haven't pushed how much mana he can use in that way, today.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 06:01 PM CDT
> Not sure this is helpful, but with around 370 Attunement I find myself running out of mana in 11/21 mana rooms,

A few more numbers - 340 arcana, 363 attunement, empath:

Charging arcana:
Charging5/21 room10/21 room13/21 room 16/21*
5 mana 2-3% 2% 2% 2%
10 mana 6% 4% 4% 3%
15 mana 8-9% 6-7% 6-7% 5-6%
20 mana 12-13% 9-11% 9-10% 7-8%
30 mana 21% 15-17% 17-18% 12-13%
50 mana 45% 33% 37% 26-27%

- % are total attunement.

* (boosted via raise power, charging after I was back to 100% fatigue)

I seem to be regaining 2-3% every 6 seconds. At ~3 seconds to charge, that means I can't use more than 1.5% of my mana with each charge to remain mana neutral (-base spell cost), so less than 5 mana per charge regardless of room level. I'd need to spend 60 seconds charging my cambrinth per cast to cap a spell. I'd guess that I have enough mana solely because I'm casting slowly without capping. It also appears that mana levels in the room have no impact on attunement recovery, which feels like a bug.

Note that Blessing of the Fae seems completely broken. It no longer restores attunement, and it doesn't seem to be affecting the % of my pool that's used with each charge either.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 06:29 PM CDT
>>It also appears that mana levels in the room have no impact on attunement recovery, which feels like a bug.

Mana level in the room has never impacted recovery, it just impacts the rate at which you spend mana.

-Raesh

Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 06:54 PM CDT

> Mana level in the room has never impacted recovery, it just impacts the rate at which you spend mana.

Fair enough. I guess I just always assumed it did.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 06:58 PM CDT

Oh, one more thing. Those numbers are a character with all of the mana feats. Deep Attunement, Raw Channeling, Efficient Channeling, Efficient Harnessing.
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 09:53 PM CDT
Can someone please give a rationale for why Clerics were nerfed by removal of RoB and the ability to buff groups?
Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 10:13 PM CDT
>>Can someone please give a rationale for why Clerics were nerfed by removal of RoB and the ability to buff groups?

This was the product of one of the discussions that was going on around the time we started working on Magic 3.2 (Which isn't fully implemented into 3.2 since it's a chance that can stand on it's own and would have increased 3.2's scope even further).

The gist is that we've been very inconsistent with how buffing others works. Some spells can castable on others, some aren't. Some are area castable, some work on special snowflake mechanics. And we've got a bunch of feats related to group casting that... don't really work well.

So we set up some guidelines and converted the low hanging fruit as we worked on 3.2 - this is why RoB was removed and Mass Rejuv was split out.

The general plan when all is said and done is as follows:

Feats: Group Supporter and Team Player are going to quietly die in their sleep.

Augmentation: By default all Augmentation spells should be castable on others unless there is a compelling reason to prevent this (Unique class mechanics, cyclic spells, etc).

Utility: Utility spells are hard to generalize. When possible they should be castable on others, but this is frequently not possible/relevant. Otherwise they should follow the same guidelines as Augmentation.

Warding: By default Warding Spells should not be castable on others. This is particularly important post Barrier Review. Allowing Barrier spells to be cast on others should cost a spell slot.

Specific buff spells will bet set up for area casting (Kind of like how Courage works for Paladins now) but these will mostly be the domain of Bards and, to a lesser degree, Paladins.

-Raesh

Re: Magic 3.2 incoming soon - last chance to test 07/28/2016 10:40 PM CDT
> Specific buff spells will bet set up for area casting (Kind of like how Courage works for Paladins now) but these will mostly be the domain of Bards and, to a lesser degree, Paladins.

Please to be taking the opportunity to fix DRUM's targeting logic (broken since 3.1 released).