Prev_page Previous 1
Mech Lore Question 05/23/2006 05:35 PM CDT
How come putting things in a pyramid and forgetting about them teaches more Mech Lore than actual usage of mech lore, as in creating something?
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/23/2006 05:51 PM CDT
Shhhhhhhh!!

Strangeguard Prayermaster
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/24/2006 12:58 AM CDT
They don't nothing locks my mech faster then makingi 5 arrowheads which takes about 25 seconds and i'm locked. They don't teach better then tanning armor either. I'm sure they will all go away with the mechlore split.

The Dragon priest hisses, "We'd have won, too, if it weren't for thossse meddling kidsss."
>
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/24/2006 12:12 PM CDT
>> How come putting things in a pyramid and forgetting about them teaches more Mech Lore than actual usage of mech lore, as in creating something?

Wayerd Pyramids are the first in a revolutionary line of products being marketed to young adventurers today. The Wayerd Pyramid uses alchemical properties that turn Light into Experience, and because experience is lighter than air and faster than light, it is sent directly to the owner of the last pair of hands that fiddled with it.

Not to be outdone, merchants in other fields will soon be marketing similar products, such as the Wayerd Buoy, which is placed in a body of water and can similarly be abandoned for weeks or months at a time. It turns Water into Experience (swimming, in this case). You'll also see Wayerd Harmonicas, which are a natural offshoot of the humming power of the pyramids, and also require sunlight, but are small enough to also operate off moonlight, starlight, torchlight, and children's laughter. It will teach wind instruments, vocals, and a little bit of light thrown.

All that said, as Aleyden mentioned, it is quite likely that the mech split will remove the functionality of the pyramids, directly or indirectly. Which is good for the game but bad for those of us who bask in the warmth of massive passive exp gain. :P

-- Nomad Reike

>.run
[Script run is running, Esc to cancel, Shift-Esc to pause]
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/24/2006 12:13 PM CDT
I thought folding paper cranes in combat was the best way to learn Mech Lore?
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/24/2006 06:24 PM CDT
Yaks. It's all about the yak.

~Dulcinia

"We do not care if you or your character is gay, straight, asexual, gelatious, nougat filled, or covered in a hard candy shell." --Solomon

[Meerc] "People are irritatesome..."

"The forums are for Obinigiousisms." --Huldah's Pal
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/27/2006 05:08 AM CDT
Can somebody explain this pyramid thing to me? I have neglected my mech lore for a long, LONG time.

Troubadour Raziaar
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/27/2006 05:12 AM CDT
Forage a bunch of crap (jadice flowers or nemoih roots are easy to find and will work), throw it in the pyramid, check the weather to see that the sun is unobscured, close the pyramid, and drop it.

Whoever closes the pyramid gets the experience, so leave it unattended only at your own risk. People (like me) will open and close any unattended pyramids they find for some free mech exp. You could probably do this too pretty easily. Your best bet if you want your own, though, is to lug it around with you and drop it wherever you're sitting.

Rev. Reene

On Martyka's stone market table you see a white glazed clay jar painted with a grey knotwork maze and fitted with a silver rim labeled "Sindea Ashes", ...

A glazed jar on a stone market table exclaims, "Help me! I'm not dead yet!"
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/27/2006 07:13 AM CDT
>>People (like me) will open and close any unattended pyramids they find for some free mech exp.

It's become quite a fun game of hide and seek.
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/27/2006 07:57 AM CDT
I pick one up whenever I'm in town, fill it with crap, drop it somewhere remote and get mech exp from it until someone finds it or the game crashes. Then I go grab another one and repeat.

It'll be fixed soon enough (it's SO much worse than the buckets ever were) but until then I've gotten a solid 30 mech ranks from em and expended absolutely 0 effort to do so. And this is 30 ranks in a tert skill over 200 in the course of maybe 2 months.

-Teeklin

This post (including the signature) is in no way meant to offend anyone nor is it an attempt to troll or be "cute". Hopefully my opinions do not conflict with yours in any way.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/27/2006 11:07 AM CDT
>>I pick one up whenever I'm in town, fill it with crap, drop it somewhere remote and get mech exp from it until someone finds it or the game crashes. Then I go grab another one and repeat.

>>It'll be fixed soon enough (it's SO much worse than the buckets ever were) but until then I've gotten a solid 30 mech ranks from em and expended absolutely 0 effort to do so. And this is 30 ranks in a tert skill over 200 in the course of maybe 2 months.

>>-Teeklin

Ditto, great free Mech Lore.
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/27/2006 02:32 PM CDT
wait, am I understanding this correctly. You can forage and put things into it, I got that, no brainer. Make sure your holding the pyramid, close it. Than drop it. And wonder away from it, and you'll learn mech lore? As in, I can leave it at say the west gate in Riverhaven, and go hunt Swamp Trolls out the east gate, and as long as the sun is out, I can learn mech being that far away from the pyramid? Or am I not understanding this correctly?

~Dalkin~

If its got two legs and you hear a thud...don't panic...I just killed another one.

>>>>Agonar, apparently taking an uncharacteristic trip to the north, strolls by, winks at Marlena, giggles oddly to himself, and continues his journey onward.
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/27/2006 02:34 PM CDT
You can leave it in Muspari and go hunt in Shard and still learn from it

Re: Mech Lore Question 05/27/2006 04:30 PM CDT
I'd post my opinion on how horribly wrong and broken pyramids are, but as they seem to be widely accepted by the player base as a cheap method to learn mech, I'm afraid of the bombardments of boos, catcalls and tomatoes.

Gladiator Maulem~
[Lystid] Do you know the two most important words a married man knows?
>think Itwasn'tme, IsweartoKuniyo?

Come join the werewolf legions!
http://s1.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=12199
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/27/2006 04:38 PM CDT
>>I'd post my opinion on how horribly wrong and broken pyramids are, but as they seem to be widely accepted by the player base as a cheap method to learn mech, I'm afraid of the bombardments of boos, catcalls and tomatoes.<<

There should actually be more skills like this in my opinion. Pyramids are a way to learn mech without the tedium of fold paper, fold paper, fold paper. They're actually a decent step towards making a skill not a complete nightmare to keep learning. I think it'd be great to have more ways to learn skills like this.

Could pyramids use a little tweaking? Sure.. I'd make them only teach if you're in the room, or something like that. But all in all... it's not a horrible method for learning.

-Wighten
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/27/2006 05:17 PM CDT
They are also the only way to learn Mech after a certain point (I think 400 in mech but that might be wrong)

Re: Mech Lore Question 05/27/2006 07:00 PM CDT
My beef is not with the method, but with the distance. Being able to learn mech from a pyramid three provinces away is just wrong.

Gladiator Maulem~

Re: Mech Lore Question 05/27/2006 07:11 PM CDT
>> I'd post my opinion on how horribly wrong and broken pyramids are, but as they seem to be widely accepted by the player base as a cheap method to learn mech, I'm afraid of the bombardments of boos, catcalls and tomatoes.

I actually agree with your sentiment. That just doesn't stop me from taking advantage of it.

>> You can forage and put things into it, I got that, no brainer. Make sure your holding the pyramid, close it. Than drop it. And wonder away from it, and you'll learn mech lore?

You don't have to hold it, but yes. Just remember that whoever closes the pyramid gets the experience, so leave it alone at your own risk.

Rev. Reene

On Martyka's stone market table you see a white glazed clay jar painted with a grey knotwork maze and fitted with a silver rim labeled "Sindea Ashes", ...

A glazed jar on a stone market table exclaims, "Help me! I'm not dead yet!"
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/27/2006 11:54 PM CDT
so on the mech lore split.. wonder what category pyramids fall under

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer
--
http://people.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5198137
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/28/2006 12:23 AM CDT
My bet is Alchemy.

~Nos from Plat
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/28/2006 02:12 AM CDT
>so on the mech lore split.. wonder what category pyramids fall under

Considering there doesn't seem to be a skill contest, I'd say /dev/null .

Ice Patch - Because bludgeoning immobile things to death is fun.

Lots more stuff coming 'Soon'!

http://www.zairius.com

Supreme Bunny Overlord Zairius
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/29/2006 12:34 PM CDT
My beef is not with the method, but with the distance. Being able to learn mech from a pyramid three provinces away is just wrong.
Gladiator Maulem~

Agreed, you should have to be with the pyramid to observe what is being done with the herb drying process to actually learn Mech Lore. Till they change it though I'll keep raiding pyramids and getting free Mech Lore.

Re: Mech Lore Question 05/29/2006 12:53 PM CDT
>Agreed, you should have to be with the pyramid to observe what is being done with the herb drying process to actually learn Mech Lore. Till they change it though I'll keep raiding pyramids and getting free Mech Lore.

I'm the official pie checker.

Sadly I haven't found any pie.

Re: Mech Lore Question 05/31/2006 12:07 AM CDT
So if you close 5 pyramids, do you learn 5x the mech? Or do you just learn from the last one you closed?

~Dulcinia

"We do not care if you or your character is gay, straight, asexual, gelatious, nougat filled, or covered in a hard candy shell." --Solomon

[Meerc] "People are irritatesome..."

"The forums are for Obinigiousisms." --Huldah's Pal
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/31/2006 12:40 AM CDT
>> So if you close 5 pyramids, do you learn 5x the mech? Or do you just learn from the last one you closed?

Oh, but this is the most delightful part of the forbidden fruit that is free mech lore exp... pay attention, it's a subtle two-parter:

1) Each pyramid teaches independently. If you had sixty-two pyramids that you just closed and they all pulsed, they'd each contribute to your mech lore pool. With even two pyramids you can fairly much guarantee you'll be at mind lock every time you pulse exp.
2) Pyramids do not overflow mind state. Extra exp that would go into making your mindstate fluid, murky, etc. just sort of goes away.

Combine this very considerate free, mind-state preserving exp with the fact that it's RT-less, doesn't require any attention whatsoever, and doesn't actually require you to be drying anything in the first place (you can put three herbs in there and it'll just keep humming away for exp no matter how dry they get)... it is perhaps the most broken system in the game. And it works in your favor. And for now, it's working entirely as intended, so it's not mech abuse (pun intended).

Find an outdoor room somewhere that nobody goes, drop off a few pyramids, and you, too, can be mind locked in mech lore anytime there's an unobscured sun in the Elanthian sky.

Pay no attention to those who warn you that pyramid schemes always lead to disaster. <g>

-- Reike

>.run
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/31/2006 12:44 AM CDT
>>2) Pyramids do not overflow mind state. Extra exp that would go into making your mindstate fluid, murky, etc. just sort of goes away.<<

They won't overflow your mindstate by themselves. But if you're in comabt, learning 5 other skills, there's a lot of times you just wish your mech lore would stay off of locked, because all the other stuff mucks your mind.

-Wighten
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/31/2006 01:28 AM CDT
They won't overflow your mindstate by themselves. But if you're in comabt, learning 5 other skills, there's a lot of times you just wish your mech lore would stay off of locked, because all the other stuff mucks your mind.
-Wighten

Exactly, my thief is murky right because he's got his weapons locked up and the mech lore from three ill-gained pyramids locked.

Still all in all, it is great free Mech lore, thanks again one and all who leave those pyramids for me to find. :)

Jim
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/31/2006 03:07 AM CDT
Yeah you need to remember where the pyramids were so you can shut some off if your mind implodes.

Re: Mech Lore Question 05/31/2006 03:15 PM CDT
Yeah you need to remember where the pyramids were so you can shut some off if your mind implodes.

I recorded travel scripts to the various areas that appear to be pyramid havens. :grin: Anytime I find more I record a new there and back script, it's been highly successful at working the pyramids, plus the new areas I go and find that appear to be desolate to place one or two of the stolen ones.

I really assume this system has to stop working the way it does currently, it's not balanced by any means.

Jim
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/31/2006 03:23 PM CDT
"it is perhaps the most broken system in the game. And it works in your favor."

might I also point out it is also one of the most egalitarian? A pyramid costs very little- most characters can afford them, and can utilize them if they choose to do so- so it can work to all characters favor.

When they work, they work very well- however they only work during daylight and weather permitting. For a character like mine, which often hunts underground, leaving a pyramid somewhere- especially now- is a pretty good way to lose a pyramid. Of course alternately I could spend big money on expensive origami supplies, and I could be folding little paper cranes in combat to try to bore Lachs to death.

I would imagine that when the mech lore split happens, many things will change- and most creation lore skills will be learned doing something more useful than drying herbs or folding origami- and probably none of them will be done in combat.

Meanwhile- if you feel deprived- go out and get pyramid.

Flavius
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/31/2006 03:32 PM CDT
"I really assume this system has to stop working the way it does currently, it's not balanced by any means.- Jim"

I am curious how you mean its not balanced? As I mentioned previously, its availible to all characters- so its certainly balanced character/player wise- so the only question is whether its balanced versus other skills. As if anyone really cares whether lore skills are balanced? These are the red-haired step children of the skill system. Remember we have characters who can only learn mech lore by teaching it to others now- I suspect there are other lore systems that have the same issue.

Is some character going to gain some huge in game advantage because his mech lore is bigger than someone's scholarship? Remember- all characters can learn mech lore through the same mechanism so no one character is theoretically capable of gaining an advantage over others mech lore if everyone in the same skill setup chooses to use the same system.

So exactly how is it unbalanced and how does it hurt DR?

Flavius
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/31/2006 03:38 PM CDT
It hurts DR because eventually we'll have folks with such inflated mech ranks that anything new that relies on mech will have to be scaled accordingly, effectively shutting those of us out who don't bother with such an obviously broken system.

Put it in this perspective. With all these folks gaining mech for nothing, how will this affect the upcoming lore split and creation systems?

Gladiator Maulem~

Re: Mech Lore Question 05/31/2006 03:57 PM CDT
I've gained maybe 300 ranks of my lore through folding paper, making bows. That is as a tert skill. Folding while dancing, folding while swimming, folding between climbs, folding after running trails, folding while talking, FOLD FOLD FOLD. Still on average i could have easily foraged a limb and locked carving bows as well.

The system makes no sense as is when folding a paper horsey locks me in a few minutes. I do use a pyramid cuz i normally steal them when i find them. Or go dump them. Oh i love the ones with Labels cuz they let me know WHOSE pyramid. It annoys me when i got Find Fury and they aren't even IG. I don't see the big problem with picking UP your pyramid when you're done or going to sleep.

I really have no suggestion for pyramids since, the only solution i can see is the mech split. Most guilds don't need mech passed 150 ranks anyways. Please note I said most.

Bards, War Mages, Barbs, Paladins, thieves. The creation systems those guilds are primary in not saying they all have a system, can pretty much only train the primary factor after a certain point and get the same results.

The Dragon priest hisses, "We'd have won, too, if it weren't for thossse meddling kidsss."
>
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/31/2006 04:11 PM CDT
I just think of Pyramids as a bonus pre-mech split feature.

AIM: Huldahs Pal
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/31/2006 05:19 PM CDT
"effectively shutting those of us out who don't bother with such an obviously broken system"

I find this ever so amusing. I mean you are choosing not to learn mech lore and are upset because others are using the system to their advantage- the same system you choose not to use.

Look- my character refuses to fold pretty paper cranes- its not a matter of whether I think origami is broken or not- I find the whole idea reprehensible for my character. However if tomorrow, origami was the ONLY way to learn mech, I realize I would either have to start using it, or get left behind.

Lets talk about unbalanced and mech lore. Long time ago clerics got a unique creation system- carving beads. It was later opened up to everyone but clerics- and to a lesser extent paladins- got huge bonuses to carving beads. It taught moderately well, and if a cleric used a primer, after about 4 minutes could learn a decent amount of scholarship and mech lore. It was unbalanced because clerics had a huge advantage in using the system.

Then along came origami folding- which puts bead carving to shame. There is no comparison to how the two teach or the hoops you have to go through. So bead carving is no longer unbalanced because it is obsolete for learning mech lore. However origami folding is unbalanced versus bead carving because of the smaller returns for amount of time invested.

Systems are not unbalanced just because some characters(like myself) choose not to use them. They are unbalanced if they end up giving some characters advantages others cannot get- which just isn't the case here.
Re: Mech Lore Question 05/31/2006 07:06 PM CDT
They're at it again?
Re: Mech Lore Question 06/01/2006 01:21 AM CDT
::ponders::

mechlore split + pyramid = drying skill
hm...
*runs for cover*

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer
--
http://people.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5198137
Re: Mech Lore Question 06/02/2006 02:44 PM CDT
<<2) Pyramids do not overflow mind state. Extra exp that would go into making your mindstate fluid, murky, etc. just sort of goes away.

That is 100% False.

Falker
Re: Mech Lore Question 06/02/2006 07:59 PM CDT
>> That is 100% False.

Potentially. I've never worked with more than three pyramids at a time, and usually no more than two. I was basing the assumption on the fact that wall ranks, lore secondary, will hit mind lock, the pyramids will continue to hum, and OSM will not tick past clear.

It is definitely true that having pyramids humming away somewhere while you're in a high-exp-gaining situation, such as combat, will muck up mindstate with malevolent passion.

At any rate, I don't mind if I happen to be wrong on that point, as I was trying to convince the general populace that pyramids are good for them, and taken as a whole they are ridiculously good tools to use.

It is my dream that, someday, before pyramids outlive their (training) usefulness, all peoples of all 11 races will come together, with 2-3 pyramids apiece, and dump them all in a single room somewhere, thus creating a mind-blowing city whose combined humming would shake the very foundations of Elanthia...

... actually, since pyramids seem to be somewhat resistant to conventional janitor effects (by anecdotal evidence, at least), a wealthy patron could possibly line every room in a province with a few pyramids. A golden age of free mech for all. :P

-- Reike

>.run
Re: Mech Lore Question 06/02/2006 09:43 PM CDT
>>It's become quite a fun game of hide and seek.

yeah, I move the pyramids, ya'll have to go find them. :snicker:

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Prev_page Previous 1