Hair-braiding Tool Feature Update 05/09/2017 01:28 PM CDT
The hair-braiding tool now has an ALL option to let the user specify all the desired attributes at once:

WHISPER tool ALL [#] [#] [#] [#] [#] [#] [#]

GM Modrian
Re: Hair-braiding Tool Feature Update 05/09/2017 06:23 PM CDT
I covet this hair-braiding tool.
Re: Hair-braiding Tool Feature Update 05/11/2017 11:02 PM CDT
Any chance of a fix so you can't wear other hair-changing items when you have a braid in? (It breaks hair styles and the braid).

Awesome update, thank you! <3 <3

(Bristenn takes a hold of Riend by the arm and swings her in, pulling her into an armored embrace. And, without further ado, he kisses Riend like he means it. Deffo means it.)
Re: Hair-braiding Tool Feature Update 05/12/2017 10:05 AM CDT
I don't have a braiding tool myself, but I borrow one from a friend. My braid only breaks if I actually use a braid zest while wearing a veola or something similar. Otherwise I can wear the hair altering item and remove it, and my braid is still intact. So for Maylan is simply a matter of not fussing with her braid while wearing a hat!

~Land Pirate Maylan~
Re: Hair-braiding Tool Feature Update 05/12/2017 10:17 AM CDT
"for Maylan is simply a matter of not fussing with her braid" -- Maylan

You would completely fail as Nynaeve, in "Wheel of Time"
Re: Hair-braiding Tool Feature Update 05/12/2017 11:32 AM CDT
>You would completely fail as Nynaeve, in "Wheel of Time"

I REALLY REALLY tried to get into the "Wheel of Time" series, but never made it past the first book. It just didn't hold my interest :(

~Land Pirate Maylan~
Re: Hair-braiding Tool Feature Update 05/12/2017 12:46 PM CDT
Lo these many years ago, I had exhausted everything on my bookshelves that I had a really pressing interest in reading, so I asked on the Boards (in the 'Fantasy Literature' topic in the 'Socializing' category, most likely) and people out the yin-yang were raving about the Wheel of Time series. (This was when maybe only 5 or 6 were out, and it actually started with the first book, not the later prequel. I'll say late '90s some time.)

So I took them at their word, and picked it up, and slogged through the first book--which is a fairly hefty work, if not the massive tome that he got to later (several in the 800+ page range)--and honest to god, I got to within like 75-100 pages of the end, and posted back again, asking if there was ever going to be a damn STORY hidden, like that pony, in this roomful of crap.

Apparently, I needed to read the first book, in order to lay the groundwork for the later ones.

<stare>

So I played along, and slogged my way through yet more books.

Turns out that he actually did have some fairly decent story--not what I would call as good as it was being sold as, by the fans, but moderately good nonetheless--but for the most part it was disguised, in each book, by cleverly padding the tomes with about 200 pages of useless junk.
This guy gambles, this one drinks, this one's going nuts; none of the men can understand women.
This gal pulls her hair, this one's got <some other annoying trait>, this one <something something>; all of the women have the hots for Rand; none of the women can understand men.
The Aes Sedai are oooohhh, scary powerful, and ooohhh, run the place. Except every single time some new faction gets introduced, they include the Women Of Power, and every single one of them kicks the ass of the Aes Sedai.
Every single faction has their Uber Fighters, and they're oooohhh, scary good. Except every single time some new faction gets introduced--including, possibly, "kids in training" (see the Younglings, from the Tower)--they kick the collective ass of whatever Uber Fighters they're up against (including, possibly, "the people training these kids").

Yeah, I'm down with "suspension of disbelief" in fantasy & sci-fi, but there's got to be some COHESION to it, so that it makes sense.

If any three of the characters had sat down over beers and had a forthright conversation, the series could've been wrapped up in about half the books. <snort>

And yeah, cutting out The Annoying Characteristics after a few repetitions (I'll even concede "per book") could've saved a LOT of space.

Much became clearer to me--since mostly, my complaints above should be handled by a decent Editor--when I discovered that his wife was his editor.

In all honesty, the last three--ghost-written by (Sanderson?)--are a LOT easier to read, because he really pared back on some of the more annoying qualities. Unfortunately, it was so long between the later releases that I forgot where I was, so I think I need to jump back to #11 (which I don't think I ever read), then #12, #13 I already read, and then finish out with #14.
Re: Hair-braiding Tool Feature Update 05/12/2017 01:01 PM CDT
All I can say is that I was able to trudge through two readings of the Silmarillion and not a single Robert Jordan book. I'm not saying he was a bad author, just not my cup of tea. And now I'll go ahead and bow out so that I don't completely derail this thread!

.....hair braiding tools.....love em!

~Land Pirate Maylan~
Re: Hair-braiding Tool Feature Update 05/12/2017 01:08 PM CDT
See, now the Silmarillion I can get into, because it's basically a collection of short-stories/novellas, rather than supposed to be dealt with a straight-line novel. Yes, much of it ties together (eventually) but it's a completely different approach than Hobbit or LotR ("book" or "really long book").

And, on a completely different de-railment, I would LOVE to see some/many/much/all of the Silmarillion handled on the screen, either by someone like HBO (serialize it, like Game of Thrones) or Peter Jackson/Wingnut Films (with their background of Hobbit & LotR). I believe it would lend itself well to either treatment.

So, too, would McCaffrey's "Pern" books. Mmmm, dragon CGI....
Re: Hair-braiding Tool Feature Update 05/13/2017 08:43 PM CDT
>Any chance of a fix so you can't wear other hair-changing items when you have a braid in? (It breaks hair styles and the braid).

The hair-braiding tool play nice with the hair/features system. So I'm guessing the issues come from other, probably older, items that don't follow feature system guidelines.

GM Modrian (who couldn't finish the Silmarillion)