Urnon/ chaos runestaff 03/14/2017 09:56 PM CDT
About a month ago I emailed Vanah who had put forth the teaser on this item in hopes he/she was also the creator.. but I have no heard anything back since that time, so posting this here.

I'm the player of Voltmage -> an 80ish wizard who purchased the urnon chaos runestaff from the Great Auction of 2016. I appreciate the efforts made by you and the rest of the staff to create the wondrous items, with an exciting auction to take part in. I wanted to write you to give you thoughts and feelings about the Urnon Staff- I don't know if you created it, but it was listed under your name for the teaser on the Play.net and GSwiki boards.

I like the idea of chaos of Urnon- I've owned both urnon daggers and mauls at different points in my playtime here in Elanthia. The flares are quite fun and add "flavor" to each individual swing. The range from -50 to +50 AS, and VHCW and VHDW makes each attack hold fear and excitement.

Unfortunately, I have not had the same amount of fun with the Urnon chaos staff. The enchant rarely if ever seems to flare to +50, while the -50 enchant I've seen several times. The DS loss on a pure caster has been catastrophic for me on several occasions. While a warrior swinging a THW has redux and armor and can take a hit, pures survive mostly by avoiding damage altogether. The DS drop that occurs is significant, noticeable, and greatly reduces the usability of the runestaff. The negative flares on weapons had never been such a major DS drop likely due to using a shield, TWC, or dodging... this is an issue specific to runestaves.

The staff changes colors with every cast, but the flares are mediocre at best. From my testing, the flares occur at the same frequency of a normal flared runestaff. In comparison to the urnon weapons, which flare considerably more than a normal flaring weapon.

I know some mystery to each auction item was instilled... but I can not locate information on any way to help "Clutch" the staff to retain a certain flare... and my success has been abysmal. Only a handful of times have I gotten a successful clutch, and it's much more work to do for such little reward.

I don't know the best way to make the staff usable, but I do have some suggestions. The Enchant needs to be adjusted so that the negative DS flare isn't so hurtful to casters. The staff is beaten by even a regular, dependable 4X enchant because you can safely know your DS won't tank when hunting. The AS and acuity flares need to be more dominant. The acuity should be set at a base of 1-4 at least, with the ability to flare to something like 8-10X. 6X/6X enchant/acuity staves are less than the price of this staff... and considerably more usable.

The flares need adjusting. The rate needs to increased dramatically. For an auction-quality item this should flare nearly every cast, the same as the urnon daggers, mauls, etc. - this is not an auction-quality item in any form.

While the melee weapons have weighting... the runestaff needs something. Add weighting to the bolts. Allow the flares to multiflare or hit "Greater" elemental status if the weighting is too difficult to add.

If you've taken the time read this I thank you. I tried not to sound like a rant, and I don't want your efforts to feel unappreciated in any way. I am overall disappointed with my purchase... as the staff isn't usable for me or any of the casters I own. I wanted a chance to test the runestaff before I threw up my arms in failure, but my Death's sting can not stack up anymore in testing. I've spoken with another purchaser of the staff from Plat... who has many of the same thoughts and concerns.

I'll keep the staff for a bit longer... and I'll hope for a reply or for any changes. I had dreams of a crazy chaos wizard with wild eyes running around throwing random elements about... but I'll have to seek that path through other means for now
Re: Urnon/ chaos runestaff 03/15/2017 09:25 AM CDT
I had the opportunity to play around a little bit with the bastard sword--granted, it was with an Ambusher, so mostly I was seeing limb loss/death crits from that rather than the flares--and was similarly underwhelmed, if not nearly to the same degree. (Because first they have to find me, before they even get a chance to try and kill me.)

Maybe I should try it again, on a stand-up melee character, and see if I like it better this time.
Re: Urnon/ chaos runestaff 03/16/2017 05:58 AM CDT
That sounds rough. I wish my urnon sword from 15+ years ago had some chaotic properties of the metal, it only has the fixed 4x enchant with acid flares.

It didn't get the high ST/DU when that came about, but it is still impossibly difficult to enchant / ensorcell.

- Xorus' player

>You see Lord Xorus Kul'shin the Atlas Obscura of Elanthia.
>He appears to be an Insufferable Know-It-All.
Re: Urnon/ chaos runestaff 03/24/2017 08:56 PM CDT

Maybe you need to pickup 2hw training and haste swing the runestaff. I wonder if the flare frequency is low because you are burning some procs on damage/crit weighting, which is of no use with casting.
Re: Urnon/ chaos runestaff 03/29/2017 11:19 AM CDT
Hmm... I'll toss it on my paladin and see how it goes. If that's the case it'll be much less fun for the pure... and not likely actually usable except if you build specifically for it
Re: Urnon/ chaos runestaff 04/01/2017 03:05 PM CDT
Runestaves swing as slow as bastard swords and hit about as hard as main gauches, so I really can't recommend that course of action.
Re: Urnon/ chaos runestaff 03/13/2018 01:05 PM CDT
Speaking of ambusher (as I did, in #1297)...

...any chance that Maik (the winner at the time), or his successor (following a later sale/trade/gift/whatever), might be interested in a sale or swap of the urnon bastard sword, for the urnon misericord [i.e. 'dagger]?

I happen to have my hands on the one, and would be more interested in using the other--with an Ambusher--than the bastard sword on a "stand in melee" build.

Thanks!
Re: Urnon/ chaos runestaff 12/06/2019 03:18 PM CST
So I've been playing the "stand in melee" guy a lot more--got to make those levels to be able to wear the full-plate mist ring!--which led to some updates on the urnon/chaos weapons. (Thanks for your clarifications & additions, Naamit!)

Seems like the new-style ones--my bastard sword, and the misericord that Maik took home--have some additional flare types that the older ones don't, like plasma & steam & vacuum & disintegration & disruption.

And I was wondering if they might not also have something funky for religious folk (like "they cycle through the 'Convert' pantheon deity flares")?
If not, could that be added? (Maybe to the Urnon Mk. III material?)
If not, could that be a new consecrated material thing? (Either a brand new material, or added to eonake & white ora as a new property.)

And also about other, less normal flares: Boink, springs, briar, bubble, Rot, and on and on and on.

Weighting is already there [both kinds], how about a zelnorn-flare ("gives DS during this RT", basically making the weapon a "Defender" for a stretch of time)?

Only limit is coming up with more colors.... :)
Re: Urnon/ chaos runestaff 05/23/2022 09:36 AM CDT
"Seems like the new-style ones--my bastard sword, and the misericord that Maik took home--have some additional flare types that the older ones don't" -- Me, #1401

"It can not be enchanted since it messes with its own enchantment. It can be ensorcelled and baned. Yes it must be a bastard sword. It will not hit undead." -- GSwiki article for the 2016 auction bastard sword item that my "stand in melee" guy is using

Additional research says that the bastard sword DOES in fact hit undead, for values of "undead" equal to, at least, the 45th level non-corp ice wraiths in the Frozen Tundra area near Aenatumgana. There does not appear to be any messaging about going dim, and certainly no setup work was done on it (like Consecrate + Bless), so to me this means "permablessed".
At least until/unless someone (like a GM) says that it's a mistake.

However, it appears that some Ensorcell/735 can be possible!
...which makes me want to know, correspondingly, whether Sanctify/330 might be possible?

Sssoooo... anyone with some built-up NecroJuice care to take a stab at a Tier1 of 314 difficulty? Thanks!