Home node item question 12/18/2016 07:14 PM CST
I have a question regarding the "home node" items.

Do they actually have an earthnode effect or is it only the 1 mana/stamina/health per minute and 1 spirit/10 minute regen effect when rubbed?

Playing around with my snow covered cottage amulet it seems that there is only the latter effect (1 per minute regen). I couldn't find any effect similar to how an earthnode works with regards to increased mana regen anyway.

I just want to make sure that I'm not missing something. Auctioneers in both prime and plat mentioned an earthnode effect.
Re: Home node item question 12/18/2016 07:23 PM CST
I believe that it is (currently; whether that is the design intent or not I cannot say) more akin to "having eaten Manna bread and getting that effect as though you were sitting on an earthnode..."
...while you are out walking around killing stuff for two hours, rather than actually gaining the benefit of BEING on the earthnode.

And I suspect that the owners would much rather have a traveling earthnode (health/mana/stamina/spirit recovery, as was alluded to by the auctioneer) rather than "one per minute Manna-bread pulses".
Re: Home node item question 12/18/2016 07:24 PM CST
(To be fair, they did SPECIFICALLY exclude "experience" from the Earthnode effect.)
Re: Home node item question 12/19/2016 10:46 AM CST
When you think about it, an extra 120 mana--I'm not usually injured nor down spirit and only use some CMans, so "free mana" would be the standout payoff from these items for any of my characters... but I can see where Council people and Warriors would get payoff from Spirit and Stamina, too--dribbling in over a couple of hours is pretty nice.

Not like "I've got my node, thanks!" nice, but nice.

I suspect that if these get a boost in power, they are going to be one of "THE nice things to have" when doing Reim.
Two hours in there, two hours active on the item... what's not to love?!?
Re: Home node item question 12/19/2016 05:41 PM CST

>>I just want to make sure that I'm not missing something. Auctioneers in both prime and plat mentioned an earthnode effect.

This was the reason that I ended up purchasing one of these, and I was a little disappointed when there was not the advertised "earthnode" effect on the item as well.
Re: Home node item question 12/19/2016 06:13 PM CST

Here's the analyze info which specifically mentions earthnode, I suppose that's where the misinformation from the auctioneers came from. I have no idea why this would be described as anything like an earthnode. I'm beginning to feel like a chump, it certainly doesn't seem to function as advertised.

You analyze your cottage amulet and sense that the item is largely free from merchant alteration restrictions.

The creator has also provided the following information:
This cottage amulet can be altered normally.

<The cottage amulet is a magic item that, when worn, enhances recovery similar to an earthnode.

The amulet can be used once per day and aids in recovery of health, stamina, power and spirit by restoring a point of each per minute (except for spirit, which is restored every ten minutes). Once per day here means 24 hours must pass between each use.

The amulet can have one of four tiers, which determines the length of time that the amulet's recovery effect remains active after use. Each tier provides 30 minutes of the amulet's recovery effect's dduration.

This amulet is tier 4 of 4. The duration of the recovery effect of this amulet is 120 minutes.

The amulet traps four verbs: KNOCK, PRESS, RUB and TOUCH.

The KNOCK verb displays special messaging if the amulet depicts some sort of home (e.g., a cottage, a castle, a cave).

This amulet has special KNOCK messaging.

Only one of this kind of item can be worn at a time.

You get no sense of whether or not the amulet may be further lightened.
Re: Home node item question 12/19/2016 10:50 PM CST
Shows how much I deal with merchant events, now; I wouldn't have even thought to use 'analyze' on one of these, and didn't when I loresang it for the winner.

Tier 4 of 4, to me, means that these are ripe for release as off-the-shelf merchant items. (Obviously, at lower tiers.)

I believe that the GM creator should totally remove the word 'earthnode' from that Analyze text.

It would be a lot more accurate to say that it increases recovery like Heroism (which definitely affects mana, and I think health) and/or Manna (which also affects mana, and I think health) do, while leaving the note about the benefit of increased Spirit recovery.
(And, obviously, that it works IN ADDITION TO those effects. Which is a nice additive 'trickle' recovery, if you've got more than one running.)

Maybe these few released this past weekend could be kicked up to Tier 5 (of 4), and given plus TWO (+2) points on each of their 'pulses', to more clearly show the Auction-level power of these ones?
Re: Home node item question 12/19/2016 11:39 PM CST
These are not intended to simulate an earthnode. There is no effect on experience absorption. There is just the 1 mana, stamina, and health point regeneration per minute and the 1 spirit point regeneration per 10 minutes while the item is active. Though it does behave a bit like an earthnode in that it aids in recovery, mentioning that similarity in the teaser may have been ill advised. Sorry if that was a point of confusion, but all the effects of the item were explicitly laid out in the teaser.

GM Modrian
Re: Home node item question 12/20/2016 09:43 AM CST
"all the effects of the item were explicitly laid out in the teaser" -- ibid

I agree that what the Auctioneers said, each time, was that they gave recovery of those stats (and slower on Spirit) and DID NOT affect experience in any way. Since I don't log, pretty much anything, I am perfectly willing to believe that they made explicit definition (i.e. said "one point of each every minute except Spirit 1 per 10.") of what was going to happen.

However, the use of the word "EarthNode" somewhere--anywhere at all--in that discussion & disclosure most likely raised expectations beyond that. (It certainly did for me, while bidding.)

"Though it does behave a bit like an earthnode in that it aids in recovery, mentioning that similarity in the teaser may have been ill advised. Sorry if that was a point of confusion" -- Modrian

Not only in the teaser--which most players will only have had a chance to see on that one single day of the Auction--but apparently in the items' analyze verb, as well.
Which walks around with them, now and forever, amen.
And will be visible to any subsequent purchaser, who may not have the benefit of recent experience sitting there listening to the Auctioneer and reading these clarifications here.

To repeat: ALL REFERENCE to anything even remotely resembling "EarthNode" should be removed from those items' analyze info, and any future Auctioneer spiels changed likewise.
- There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between, "trickle recovery of these few stats" and, well, "EarthNode anything".
- There is not a terribly great deal of difference between "trickle recovery of these few stats from this item" and "trickle recovery of these few stats from other spell effects (like Manna or Heroism)"--other than that this is another source, so you can have multiples of them running at once--so if you insist on having a comparison drawn between these items and anything else in-game, do it that way.

This is simply a "clarity of understanding" issue.

For additional understanding, does the wistfulness of the memories of home have any actual function, or is it just mood messaging when you activate the amulets?
Re: Home node item question 12/20/2016 10:16 AM CST

>However, the use of the word "EarthNode" somewhere--anywhere at all--in that discussion & disclosure most likely raised expectations beyond that. (It certainly did for me, while bidding.)

maybe people confused the node information with the temporary home node information. During the auction I saw the recovery rate very explicitly stated several times for the amulets.
Re: Home node item question 12/20/2016 10:30 AM CST
>maybe people confused the node information with the temporary home node information

Right. The temporary homes (the rowan branch, mithril hammer, timeworn clock) are definitely earthnodes.

~ Haliste ~
The Forest Gnome of Silverwood Manor
ASGM, Events
Re: Home node item question 12/20/2016 10:30 AM CST
I agree that we probably saw it, every time one of those items came up.

(Sidenote: Oh, and a big "Congrats!" to you, on winning one of those cool "make a Home here!" items! Those looked SO NEAT.)

We also saw the Auctioneers say the word, "Earthnode".

Several messages ago, the text of the in-game 'analyze' of one of the items was posted, and like the first line says the word, "Earthnode".

My stipulation is that including that word--at all, on the day of the event, in the Auctioneers' speech; and "permanently, when people fiddle with the items themselves"--is... I'll be gentle, and say that it's a "sub-optimal choice".

Change the 'analyze', so that there is nothing even remotely "earthnode" related.
It doesn't behave like an earthnode.
It behaves like manna bread.
Re: Home node item question 12/20/2016 07:34 PM CST

<maybe people confused the node information with the temporary home node information. During the auction I saw the recovery rate very explicitly stated several times for the amulets.

<Right. The temporary homes (the rowan branch, mithril hammer, timeworn clock) are definitely earthnodes.

I didn't confuse the temporary homes since the item I bought came up before those were sold. I did see the "home node" label from Ledirth later on and thought that they referred to the amulets, it seems I was mistaken on what they are called internally.

However, since you remember seeing the 1 minute per rate stated explicitly, then I'm sure you remember it ALSO being EXPLICITLY stated that they "enhance recovery similar to an earthnode", as below:

Baroqe picks up a snow-covered cottage amulet from the chest and places it on the table.
Baroqe says, "The item, when worn, enhances recovery similar to an earthnode."
Baroqe says, "It can be used once per day and aids in recovery of health, stamina, power and spirit by restoring a point of each per minute (except for spirit, which is restored every ten minutes)."
Baroqe says, "Once per day here means 24 hours must pass between each use. The recovery effect lasts for 2 hours."
Baroqe says, "If the design of the amulet depicts some sort of home, the KNOCK verb displays special home-reated messaging based on the type of home (e.g., a cottage, a castle, a cave)."
Baroqe says, "The item can be used by anyone, but after it is rubbed it only affects the person who rubbed it. After the 24-hour cool-down period, it can be used again by anyone."

Both enhances recovery similar to an earthnode AND the 1 per minute regen rate were stated. I assumed both effects were on the item, it gave you an earthnode and the increased recovery when rubbed.

The 1 per minute wasn't the reason I bid for the item, I certainly wouldn't have used my Great Auction slot on an item that only did that for 2 hours once per day.

I bid 10m silvers on and used my Great Auction slot on an item that "when worn, enhances recovery similar to an earthnode."

If there is no earthnode effect involved with these items then I would like to request they be reviewed and the effect enhanced whether to duration, uses per day and/or magnitude of effect. Preferably magnitude of effect.

Thank you.
Re: Home node item question 12/20/2016 10:00 PM CST

you're selectively bolding.

Baroqe says, "It can be used once per day and aids in recovery of health, stamina, power and spirit by restoring a point of each per minute (except for spirit, which is restored every ten minutes)."
Re: Home node item question 12/21/2016 08:44 AM CST
We all agreed that the explicit power was stated.

I'm saying that including the word "earthnod"--at all, anywhere in the conversation--is ridiculous, confusing, and misleading. Just remove it. Replace it with, "similar to Manna or Heroism", and things become much clearer.

Aluvius is making his own point about the power and desirability of the items.

I think that the fact these are "unlocked to tier 4 of 4" (from the posted copy of 'analyze') indicates pretty clearly that these are the first/early release of some QuickSell off-the-shelf and other versions. Sure they're the max of what is currently allowed, but, really. It's Heroism, without the AS bonus. (I have no knowledge if the "warm fuzzy feelings of home" act to counter undead fear, like Heroism does.)

My earlier suggestion or request--besides excision of the "earthnode" note--was, "Hey, these are Auction items. Kick them up to "+2" of each of the recovery streams, and they get a lot nicer."
(Still not "earthnode" nice, but twice as good as they were before.)

It sounds like Aluvius thinks they could use a kick in the pants for power, too.
Re: Home node item question 12/21/2016 07:43 PM CST
>The 1 per minute wasn't the reason I bid for the item, I certainly wouldn't have used my Great Auction slot on an item that only did that for 2 hours once per day.

>I bid 10m silvers on and used my Great Auction slot on an item that "when worn, enhances recovery similar to an earthnode."

>If there is no earthnode effect involved with these items then I would like to request they be reviewed and the effect enhanced whether to duration, uses per day and/or magnitude of effect. Preferably magnitude of effect.

I completely agree that the phrase "similar to an earthnode" was very poorly chosen.

On the other hand, many, many people (myself included) passed on this item because they listened to the auctioneer tell them that it only gave 1 health, 1 mana, and 1 stamina/minute. It wouldn't have gone for anywhere close to 10m if most people believed it gave you the same recovery as an earthnode for 2 hours a day.

1 HP/MP/SP per minute is... I'll call it an interesting choice for an auction item... but the the 1/10 mins spirit regen is still nice. Given that it should stack with spirit regen enhancives and other sources of spirit regen (203), it would make the item desirable for a number of people. I assumed at the time that's why people were bidding on it.
Re: Home node item question 12/21/2016 08:41 PM CST

My only point is that yes, I thought that it provided an earthnode sans exp absorption AND had the additional enhancement to recovery.

I assumed I was getting a bargain because it was one of the first items up (if not the first in the silver tent) and people were holding their bids until later. Which is in fact what happened since the bids later in the auction for the other amulets in the batch went for 3-4x my bid.

I understand that it was an honest mistake on the part of the auctioneers and that no, it doesn't provide earthnode recovery, only the 1 per additional.

I'm requesting that we meet in the middle somewhere with an increase to the effects provided by the item. Make it 5 per, make it 1 spirit every 5 minutes, keep the effect the same but make it last 12 hours, make it usuable 3x per day as is ... etc. Something, please.

Otherwise what I have is a nicely designed item that presumably will be released at some point with Tier 1 readily available where the only difference to my Great Auction Tier 4 will be in 30 minutes duration per tier.

Will I quit? Throw it down the well? Storm around town casting meteor storm? No, of course not. But I'll certainly be disappointed.

p.s. I love the visual effect from the Knock verb, it really is a neat item ... just please bump it up a notch since there's no earthnode effect.
Re: Home node item question 12/21/2016 09:09 PM CST
It wasn't an auctioneer mistake, though I agree calling it an earth node was a poor choice. It was very explicitly stated what the benefit would be. It would have gone for a lot more than 10m if it were better in any way, as many people, including me, refrained from bidding on it due to the stated and actual properties.

It's mechanically slightly better than a +1 spirit recovery enhancive for 2 hours a day, that otherwise requires no upkeep, that stacks with other spirit recovery enhancives and effects. I assumed that's why people were bidding.

To make it any more powerful, especially on the spirit front, would be extremely overpowering, and also unfair to the other auction attendees who bypassed bidding on the item as stated and given out. Auctions are usually buyer beware.

I feel for you, but the most the amulet went for was 25m when people wanted to leave with anything rather than nothing. The fact that 2 went for 6m and 7m shows that most people assumed it was as stated explicitly.
Re: Home node item question 12/22/2016 12:01 AM CST
Shucks, I just assumed it was because no-one wanted to live in a cave. :)
Re: Home node item question 12/22/2016 07:48 AM CST
>Shucks, I just assumed it was because no-one wanted to live in a cave. :)

Hey now, my character actually DOES live in a cave!

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: Home node item question 12/24/2016 08:26 AM CST
Just have Tier 4 remove the two hour time limit. As it stands, these provide a minimal benefit.
Re: Home node item question 12/24/2016 08:35 AM CST
But I think a permanent trickle may be a bit TOO much, though.

Since things like the 5x day spell dice give about 2.5 hours, and the 'normal' cap is 4 hours and change... I could get behind twice as much (so durations would be 30, 60, 90, 240 minutes), so there is "really obvious tier benefit" to having the Auction level ones.
Re: Home node item question 12/24/2016 03:12 PM CST
>>But I think a permanent trickle may be a bit TOO much, though.

Krakii, you will never convince me than an extra 1 mana per minute is "too much".
Re: Home node item question 12/24/2016 07:58 PM CST
Mana.

And Stamina.

And Health.

And every ten minutes, Spirit.

More (like the "+2" that I suggested previously), for the same duration, I agree.

Same effect, for somewhat longer, sure, I'm down.

But what amounts to "a permanent adder" is too powerful.
Re: Home node item question 12/24/2016 08:17 PM CST
Removing the 2 hour limit would be way too much. The buyers of these paid what they are worth.