NPCs bugged? 03/17/2015 01:15 PM CDT
First off.. thank you as this really is awesome.

However; either I'm really having REALLY bad luck with my kobold or he's just too .. stupid.

I can go with my recent example, but.. every time I get a reading, or I switch with the "excellent counter to such and such stance" or even he compensates and auto switches etc.. they do also. what's really weird and making me wonder is the below. You'll see several switches. My kobold hit the satllion, he hits the kobold.. then the reading to switch. I can give the whole log if you want, but I'm just wondering.. is the kobold bugged or are the NPCs working as intended? It's not just this fight, but several of them that switch automatically where it makes no sense like the above. Sometimes, the kobold compensates and I immediately get the message he needs to switch again.

Here's part of the log of a recent one: Just curious.. just really bad luck / kobold is that stupid or if there's something fishy going on.

You notice Burubath giving a quiet command to a towering white stallion, followed immediately by the white stallion shifting its stance.
>tell kobold to switch crane
You quietly command an angry little kobold to switch into the Crane Style of combat.
Creature Roundtime 12 Seconds.
>
Burubath's white stallion attacks your little kobold! The little kobold dodges the attack just in time.
>
Your little kobold claws at Burubath's white stallion! A towering white stallion parries an angry little kobold's assault.
>tell kobold to attack
You command an angry little kobold to execute its special attack! An angry little kobold leaps at a towering white stallion with a primal roar, pummeling the stallion to the ground with bone-shattering force!
...9 damage!
A towering white stallion was prepared for the attack, and manages to block most of the damage!
Creature Roundtime 16 Seconds.
>
Burubath's white stallion attacks your little kobold! An angry little kobold desperately parries the attack.
>
With a mindless glare in its beady ebon eyes, your little kobold attacks Burubath's white stallion! The white stallion blocks the assault effortlessly.
>
Burubath's white stallion speeds into a charge toward your little kobold! A clean miss.
An angry little kobold gathers a bit of energy from defending.
Through your bond with an angry little kobold, you sense near certainty that Burubath's white stallion is using the Wolf style of combat! The Wolf style overpowers Turtle and Hare techniques but is weak against Serpent and Crane stances. Your little kobold is already countering the white stallion's stance.

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
Re: NPCs bugged? 03/17/2015 01:49 PM CDT

Another example:

Letting out a series of high-pitched yips, Daeneb's red fox slashes with its little claws at your little kobold! An angry little kobold dodges the attack by a hair.
An angry little kobold has accumulated enough energy from defending to use a special attack!
Through your bond with an angry little kobold, you sense near certainty that Daeneb's red fox is using the Crane style of combat! The Crane style overpowers Wolf and Serpent techniques but is weak against Turtle and Hare stances. You should switch stances quickly.
>tell kobold to switch hare
You quietly command an angry little kobold to switch into the Hare Style of combat.
>
Letting out a series of high-pitched yips, Daeneb's red fox attacks your little kobold! An angry little kobold parries a lithe red fox's assault.
Through your bond with an angry little kobold, you sense near certainty that Daeneb's red fox is using the Turtle style of combat! The Turtle style overpowers Hare and Crane techniques but is weak against Wolf and Serpent stances. You should switch stances quickly.
>
Your little kobold claws at Daeneb's red fox! An angry little kobold mends its wounds, restoring 8 health, but it is too preoccupied to attack at full strength.
A lithe red fox dodges the attack by a hair.
>tell kobold to switch wolf
You quietly command an angry little kobold to switch into the Wolf Style of combat, an excellent counter to a lithe red fox's Turtle Style.
>
Letting out a series of high-pitched yips, Daeneb's red fox nips hungrily at your little kobold! The little kobold dodges the attack just in time.
Through your bond with an angry little kobold, you sense near certainty that Daeneb's red fox is using the Crane style of combat! The Crane style overpowers Wolf and Serpent techniques but is weak against Turtle and Hare stances. You should switch stances quickly.
>
With a mindless glare in its beady ebon eyes, your little kobold attacks Daeneb's red fox! An angry little kobold mends its wounds, restoring 6 health, but it is too preoccupied to attack at full strength.
A lithe red fox parries an angry little kobold's assault.

Re: NPCs bugged? 03/17/2015 01:57 PM CDT

yeah it takes me about 12 seconds to switch stances, too, but it takes the NPCs about 0
Re: NPCs bugged? 03/17/2015 07:25 PM CDT
agreed.

Re: NPCs bugged? 03/17/2015 07:43 PM CDT

I can tell you the NPCs aren't bugged. My butterfly has high insight, and I see them switch a lot. Nearly as often as they switch into a superior stance, they often switch into an inferior stance.

It's not that they have exceptional insight, it's that they usually change stances quite often, for better or for worse. Thta's not always the case, as sometimes, though rarely, I've seen a trainer stay in the same stance the whole time, or nearly so and just take a smack down.

Since each stance has 2 stances superior to it, and 2 that are inferior, it has a 50/50 chance of picking the right one versus picking the wrong one.
Re: NPCs bugged? 03/17/2015 08:11 PM CDT
That last example was all done within 4/5 seconds.. four times the switches.. that's why I'm questioning it. I can't bite into them auto switching (0 rt) 4 times in a row within 4/5 seconds nor can I bite into seeing them switch (technically 12 seconds) and I do the special attack immediately and they had already swapped. That happens way more often than not. <shrug>

Re: NPCs bugged? 03/17/2015 09:07 PM CDT

Remember that with high insight, the beast can switch on their own. I've seen them switch up to 3 times in between a single round of attacks. Mine counters their switch, then immediately counters another switch. I assume it countered mine between the two times mine countered. This was all in just a few seconds.
Re: NPCs bugged? 03/18/2015 12:09 AM CDT
>Remember that with high insight, the beast can switch on their own. I've seen them switch up to 3 times in between a single round of attacks. Mine counters their switch, then immediately counters another switch. I assume it countered mine between the two times mine countered. This was all in just a few seconds.

It's worth noting that the chance to auto-switch is pretty low, but given enough battles, rarities like this aren't unheard of.

Auchand

"I have passed through fire and deep water, since we parted. I have forgotten much that I thought I knew, and learned again much that I had forgotten. I can see many things far off, but many things that are close at hand I cannot see."