Carnival of Freaks - Finit 09/24/2018 09:00 PM CDT
The Carnival of Freaks had not always been its name. They HAD no name, in the beginning. They were a family, and traveled around the small villages, entertaining the children, and enjoying the camaraderie of the road. That was before the Demon, however. A dark ritual gone awry in a moment of weakness opened a doorway that was never meant to be opened, and everything changed. For almost a thousand years after that horrible night, the Freaks wandered the lands, cursed to perform... and horrify. Each handled things in their own way, and they made an existence as best they could, while keeping the Demon mostly pacified with a steady diet of their misery.

When the Demon was vanquished, the remaining Freaks were freed, well and truly. Their bodies would never recover, and without the Demonic influences, they would begin to age normally once more. But they were free. Free to find their own way. Free to finally, truly be... happy.

Hexxie

Hexxie's vision had never been the greatest... not since the change. But it worked well enough for her to see the trouble that was brewing. When the bonfire exploded, Hexxie ran as if her life depended on it. She heard the roar of the Demon, and knew her time was numbered. She stumbled across someone or something and went sprawling. Before she could impact the ground, strong arms reached out and caught her, whisking her off her feet. A small group of carnival-goers surrounded the towering giantman who had caught her, and as a group they rumbled through the woods, putting as much distance between them and the carnage as was possible. Hexxie couldn't breathe, couldn't think... and finally, mercifully, lost consciousness.

Ymantha

Ymantha stood, slack-jawed, as the Demon rose up from the bonfire. Her tail twitched out from her cloak, hanging to the ground behind her. And for once, Ymantha didn't even notice. Her eyes darted to her wagon... to her lovelies... and she ran for them. She got almost halfway there before the Demon's whip curled around her neck. Her last thought before her eyes closed forever was a hope that her lovelies didn't suffer.

Sprague

When the bonfire exploded, consuming the Matriarch, Sprague was terrified. He wobbled on his legs, trying to decide which way to run, but the sudden madness, and the appearance of the Demon, had him scared stiff, until he was yanked suddenly backwards! Before he could cry out, his mouth was covered by a soft hand, and his eyes met the hopeful expressions of a few of the carnival-goers. Before he realized what was happening, he'd been bundled off, literally thrown over the shoulders of one of his rescuers. The madcap dash through the woods that followed fractured Sprague's frail bones in a number of places, but he considered it a small price to pay for his life.

Ziito

Ziito couldn't believe his ears. The Matriarch was... apologizing? Ziito knew about the darkness, of course. He'd seen it with his own eyes, as had all the Freaks. But he'd made his choice, long ago, to serve willingly. He'd never believed he could be betrayed by the Matriarch herself, and he felt paralyzed by the very thought. The sight of the Demon, rising out of the bonfire and consuming the Matriarch, jolted him from his reverie, but not nearly in time. The Demon's claws cleaved through the top of his head, tearing a portion of his skull away. Ziito was dead before his corpse hit the ground.

Perdu

Perdu was terrified. She knew what was happening, and she knew what was coming out of that bonfire. Some of the carnival-goers had given her an idea, and she hoped she had the courage to enact it. When the bonfire flared, and consumed the Matriarch, Perdu knew it was time. She stripped out of her clothing and fled into the night, unseen by any. She's currently in hiding, waiting until she can be sure that it's safe to emerge.

Phestor

Phestor had not lived as long as he had without understanding what was really going on. He served the Matriarch faithfully, and she protected him as a result, but he knew the day would come when the darkness would overwhelm them all. His plans had long been laid, and he did not hesitate to enact them when the Matriarch was consumed by the fire. A trusted servant, confidant, and friend was ready and waiting, and bodily tossed Phestor in the back of a wagon, then jumped aboard himself and snapped the reins, sending the frightened horses tearing off into the night... almost like there was a Demon at their backs.

Holtum

Holtum was losing his mind. He couldn't believe what he was hearing, what he was seeing. He looked around at the other Freaks, and they were as lost as he was. And then the Demon arose from the campfire, like the living nightmare that it was. The eyes of everyone in his immediate vicinity turned towards him. The strong man. He would protect them. He would fight.

Holtum turned around, let out a high-pitched shriek of terror, and ran off into the night as fast as his legs could carry him.

Kyrralynn/Moirralynn

They could hear the fighting roaring from over near the bonfire... A single suitcase in each hand, they stood near the carnival ground exit. Moirralynn worried, "We should try to leave... we could make it!" Kyrralynn snapped, "You know they won't defeat her! If we don't help... I don't even want to know what she'll do..." Moirralynn countered, "But we'll never get anot--" Just then the death roar of the vathor echoed around them and they could feel the air tremble with the sound. They both glanced at each other briefly and the disagreement was over. For once, Kyrralynn didn't drag her foot.

Nimudi & Grolf

Grolf had been warned. Nimudi had told him this would happen, but he hadn't been sure if he could trust her. Now, though... it was all coming apart at last. With panicked movements, he ran to his wagon and retrieved his precious cat. Then he dashed to Nimudi's trailer, banging on the door frantically. She opened it for him, packed and ready to go. They didn't exchange a single word. Grolf took Nimudi's outstretched hand and led her away through the woods as fast as they could move. Nimudi had told him where they must go when it was time, and Grolf guided her safely the entire way.

Upai

Upai knew what was coming. There was no fighting it any longer. This was her family, and had been for nearly a thousand years. She'd done her utmost for centuries to keep them safe, but it was time to rest. She glanced down at her arm, observing the filthy, hated scales for one last time. She took a deep breath, squared her shoulders, and began to speak. When the Demon struck, she welcomed its fiery embrace.

The Freaks, one and all, wish to thank all of you for playing along, and for making this journey so enjoyable for us. You engaged, theorized, threatened, empathized, and comforted. Every bit of it was felt and appreciated. Thank you, from all of us to all of you.

-GM Quilic
Subscriptions Team Member
Premium Team Member
Re: Carnival of Freaks - Finit 09/25/2018 12:48 AM CDT
+100

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
Re: Carnival of Freaks - Finit 09/25/2018 08:40 AM CDT
I rarely ever post.. and that goes with talking as I merely am here to observe.

But I wanted to say, that was an amazing smash hit of a job you guys pulled off with the carnival. Out of my on and off exposure going back to 94', how the carnival was run, interaction, and overall immersion of the event, was completely outstanding. In a way the ambient feelings and messages left me feeling like a kid again from RL Stine days of "The Beast". Every freak was awesomely unique, the amount of time spent with each of them was very generous, and well, the dread of the demon that ushered many questions by Saturday eve that almost left me sleepless. Needless to say, I enjoyed every minute of it.. for a first time in a long time.

Everyone's role, inquisitiveness, and compassion to help and develop the depth of the story, both player and to you GM's, was every bit perfect in what I felt made this event a new record in my book of playing. Thank you, everyone!

I just wanted to say, and to encourage, that this small, short run event was no less then amazing. And I felt that everyone of us was somewhat a freak inside, all wanting to be part of the show. A++ with another +
Re: Carnival of Freaks - Finit 09/25/2018 11:11 AM CDT
YAY! Some made it!! I do hope someone takes care of Ymantha's lovelies! And I hope Perdu...doesn't get sick or freeze...poor thing! :)

- Akanah
Re: Carnival of Freaks - Finit 09/28/2018 12:46 AM CDT
Enjoyed every bit of it, and I'm glad to see so many of them managed to escape, though it's a shame Ymantha didn't make it out. Cay would gladly volunteer to take care of her lovelies. Perhaps some day, they'll come out of hiding again? Either way, it was a very enjoyable time, and a lot of fun.

Thanks again.

Chaoswynd
Did anyone... 09/28/2018 12:46 PM CDT
...manage to get the description of either Nimudi or Grolf? I ran into everyone else...I think.

Wee Sleepy Gnomette

Cloth-of-eonake: for when you absolutely, positively need to have zombie-impenetrable underwear. - Denil

When my scripts are acting up, I take Modrian with Coding. After a few hours, they feel like new! - MAXMANJ
Re: Did anyone... 09/28/2018 06:03 PM CDT
You see Seer Nimudi.
She appears to be a Giantman of the Grot'karesh Clan.
She appears to be in the prime of life. She has heavily scarred silver eyes and dusky skin. She has waist length, silver hair.
She is in good shape.
She is wearing a dark grey silk mantle clasped with a silver blossom, a glass eyeball pendant suspended from a fine silver chain, a pale grey silk bodice side-laced with ivory cording, a pale grey silk skirt embroidered with clusters of ivory blossoms, and a pair of pale grey kidskin boots secured with ivory buckles.

You see Chef Grolf the Dog Man.
He appears to be a Human.
He is taller than average and has a burly, well-muscled frame. He appears to be middle-aged. He has deep-set, beady ale-brown eyes and hairy, dark brown skin. He has shoulder length, silver-streaked charcoal black hair that frames his face in unruly waves. He has a fur-covered, broad face, a wide, flat nose and a grizzled, salt and pepper beard with bushy sideburns. Thick, dark hair covers every inch of his exposed skin like an animal's pelt.
He is in good shape.
He is holding a blackened steel fork with two sharp tines in his right hand.
He is wearing a crystal amulet, a dingy white apron over a form-fitting white cotton shirt with rolled-up sleeves with a sweat-stained undershirt underneath, a wide iron-studded belt, a huge steel ladle with a long curved handle, a layered plaid kilt colored in shades of blue and cream, and a pair of simple leather thong sandals.

--Jen
>Darcena says, "But I cannot give my heart to someone else, when I no longer own it."
>Balley nods, "I hope you will find your heart and heal one day."
>Darcena admits, "I think he ate it."
>Balley's jaw drops, "Really. Men are jerks at times."
Re: Did anyone... 09/28/2018 06:41 PM CDT
Thank you so much!

Wee Sleepy Gnomette, another Jenn

Cloth-of-eonake: for when you absolutely, positively need to have zombie-impenetrable underwear. - Denil

When my scripts are acting up, I take Modrian with Coding. After a few hours, they feel like new! - MAXMANJ
Re: Did anyone... 10/01/2018 12:10 PM CDT
You're very welcome! :)

--Jen
>Darcena says, "But I cannot give my heart to someone else, when I no longer own it."
>Balley nods, "I hope you will find your heart and heal one day."
>Darcena admits, "I think he ate it."
>Balley's jaw drops, "Really. Men are jerks at times."