Something wicked this way comes... 08/01/2018 08:30 PM CDT
The wood of the wagon creaked and snapped, the thin glass of the window rattling against the rising winds. Darkness streamed past the window, broken only by the occasional silhouettes of other wagons and the broken ruddy light of the bonfire. The ambient light painted the wagon's small sleeping section in a violent, bloody hue.

A sharp knock sounded at the wagon's door, rousing the young woman asleep on the bed. Her eyes snapped open, their milky white hue stained red by the dim light.

"Come in," she rasped.
The wagon's door slid open with a bang, revealing the silhouette of a tall man, the apron tied around his body flapping wildly in the wind.

"Nimudi, you hungry?" The man’s gruff voice cut through the air with a hint of a growl.

A smile crossed the woman’s face, the shadows pooling in the crevices of the scars covering her eyes.

"Thank you Grolf, you’re sweet," she remarked.

"S'nothing." Grolf waved a large, misshapen hand dismissively as he stepped fully into the room. He set a large bowl of stew, still steaming hot, on the small table next to the bed with a clunk. Nimudi patted his arm gently as he helped her over to the table, her movements slow but sure.

"It's not nothing," Nimudi said slowly. "You have been a pure ray of light in this darkness. Ever since..." her voice trailed away.

"Maybe..." Grolf growled slightly, before he too stopped. His sharp teeth flashed in the light as he snarled in the silence. "Maybe," he tried again, "this next place will be... better."

Nimudi reached up to pat the tall man’s head, ruffling the fur behind his ears as she sighed.

"Have you... seen anything?" He asked hesitantly.

"I am not sure I dare to try." Nimudi replied, her voice barely a whisper. "Perhaps this Landing place will be better, perhaps not. I don’t know if I have it left in me to hope."
Re: Something wicked this way comes... 08/01/2018 09:58 PM CDT
I am thrilled at the idea of a creepy, Ray Bradbury-esque Dark Carnival!
Re: Something wicked this way comes... 08/02/2018 08:10 AM CDT
Some of us are triggered when you use that phrase...
Re: Something wicked this way comes... 08/02/2018 08:25 AM CDT
Others are inspired to use them as often as possible when folk complain about trigger-words...

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Something wicked this way comes... 08/02/2018 10:07 PM CDT

Luukos is providing Safe Space for the "triggered" ...
Re: Something wicked this way comes... 08/02/2018 10:49 PM CDT
Luukos schmookos! The Feithidmore is coming back!
Re: Something wicked this way comes... 08/05/2018 01:15 PM CDT
If Darcena knew about this, she would be super excited to see what this could mean - perhaps she will finally find a place to fit in? Maybe she will disappear with the Carnival of Freaks and never be seen again.

--Jen

>Darcena says, "But I cannot give my heart to someone else, when I no longer own it."
>Balley nods and says, "I hope you will find your heart and heal one day."
>Darcena admits, wincing, "I think he ate it."
>Balley's jaw drops, "Really. Men are jerks at times."