Connections 09/30/2011 05:25 PM CDT
What does an intense connection to a specific Arkati mean to your character? We've all seen different levels of zealotry in GS -- just like in the real world, there are the fervent worshipers and the casual supporters. Where does your character fall on that spectrum? What would you expect to result from an incredibly intense connection, given the nature of Elanthia's Arkati? Just some stuff to chew on.

Korelyz

"Oh, woe! Emo! Cut self, cut babiez. I love rock bands and Eorgina." -Eugenidies
Re: Connections 09/30/2011 08:03 PM CDT
Great question!

Godefroy's considers himself a pragmatic Koarite - he understands what his deity is about, more or less, and also understands that actually seeing Koar take a direct hand in things would, more likely than not, result from/in truly horrible things, so he kind of hopes to "keep the boss happy." He is intensely devoted to Koar, but sees himself as devoted equally to the IDEA of Koar as much as the God-King Himself.

Were Godefroy's understanding and connection with Koar to strengthen further, I would expect him to become more detached, less talkative, fewer puns, and probably a bit less warm and friendly.

Continuing on the theme, I think we'd find folks acting more and more polarized, as archetypes of what they think their Arkati represent. Which in fairness, most that RP a devout character tend to do anyway - so not much change for adventurers.

~Godefroy

Morvule hisses, "Ssssally ssssellssss sssseashellssss by the sssseasssshore."
Re: Connections 10/01/2011 01:11 AM CDT
My main is an empath of Imaera. She believes that Imaera spoke to her when she was about to give up the profession, and now guides her steps. She considers herself in Imaera's debt. She is deeply devoted to her Akarti, and believes in the balance of nature, and the balance of the Arkati. She is quietly religious. She doesn't push her beliefs on anyone, but any discussion about Imaera brings a fervor to her speech. Her faith is unflappable. Imaera simply is a major influence in her life, philosophical arguments be damned.
Re: Connections 10/02/2011 01:32 AM CDT
Are you wanting a discussion on this or just throwing stuff out there?
Re: Connections 10/02/2011 02:00 AM CDT
I'm really curious about what people think about these questions, as they relate to their characters... not necessarily having to do with Eorgina, but any Arkati. Of these specific questions relate to a central theme in the quest, but I'm interested in hearing the thoughts of others.

K

"Oh, woe! Emo! Cut self, cut babiez. I love rock bands and Eorgina." -Eugenidies
Re: Connections 10/02/2011 02:17 AM CDT
I play Eulogia in Plat and she has always followed Eorgina. And Eulogia would want:

- A personal sign that she was pleasing Eorgina
- The power to do something she could not before
- Some big and flashy sign of Eorgina's favor to intimidate those around her

I look at Eorgina as a deity that is taboo to follow in polite society, but her followers as someone you don't want to cross. Like a biker gang or something.

-E
Re: Connections 10/02/2011 08:50 AM CDT
Quite simply, Lumnis is Rohese's raison d'etre. She has made great (and painful) sacrifices in her life for the Queen of Enlightenment and would continue to do so if necessary.

~*~ She conquers, who endures ~*~
Re: Connections 10/02/2011 10:54 AM CDT
My main in Prime believes Lumnis works alongside other spiritual forces within her, and is the dominant of the Arkati within her. As for how Lumnis would favor her? That's hard to say. Zenaxa doesn't do her works with hopes of compensation... and in following Lumnis the wisdom you gain is something of a reward. Tough question.

My main in Plat, however, is solely devoted to Aeia. She has little understanding for the extremes of Light and Dark, and little tolerance for the battles for power which result. She watches for Aeia's blessing in every living plant, and assumes any blooming flower to be a symbol of praise.

I'd say my Plat character is much more devout, even though Aeia is a lesser spirit and not of the Arkati really.

A black-billed nightingale examines you carefully then says, "With all the vicious creatures we've got threatening the city, I would think that a person with your skills could find plenty to do."
Re: Connections 10/02/2011 01:10 PM CDT
Mirrami views the Arkati as role models. Their domains encompass the paths in life their followers should take. That is how she shows her devotion to Andelas.

She doesn't try to please Andelas directly nor is she seeking his attention. She emulates him in her actions since she believes his ideals are the best path for her.

What's fun is this allows her to be polytheistic. When in a situation where Andelasian ideals don't apply, she will walk the paths of the other gods as long as they do not conflict. Thus she'll identify with Lumnis if a situation calls for patience and wisdom or Ivas if she needs to manipulate someone to get what she wants, etc etc.
Re: Connections 10/03/2011 11:58 AM CDT
>What does an intense connection to a specific Arkati mean to your character? We've all seen different levels of zealotry in GS -- just like in the real world, there are the fervent worshipers and the casual supporters. Where does your character fall on that spectrum? What would you expect to result from an incredibly intense connection, given the nature of Elanthia's Arkati? Just some stuff to chew on.

For Jacinto, Gosaena is his redemption. She helped him off the destructive path of V'tull and has given him the ability to both avoid his greatest fear, undeath, and know with certainty how he will pass on, how he will meet oblivion. In thanks he serves the Right Hand of Gosaena as a messenger and a champion. He's a warrior, but her visions and her granting choice to him have confirmed in him the fact that ultimately, he is a warrior in hearts and minds. He seeks to destroy those who defy the natural cycle (be they of Lornon or Liabo) and always keenly desires to prevent mortals from ascending to Arkati-hood (primarily conducted through the tools of the Left Hand path.)

For my Empath, he would do absolutely anything for his city. His Patron is an expression of that. It will be interesting to see if his faith and the goals of his city ever come into conflict. I think though, as he drifts, farther and farther in, his faith would win, but at the same time, he is an Elf, and Elves feel themselves more on the level of the Arkati than Humans or half-elves like Jacinto. He might turn to another path.
Re: Connections 10/03/2011 04:26 PM CDT
>What does an intense connection to a specific Arkati mean to your character? We've all seen different levels of zealotry in GS -- just like in the real world, there are the fervent worshipers and the casual supporters. Where does your character fall on that spectrum? What would you expect to result from an incredibly intense connection, given the nature of Elanthia's Arkati? Just some stuff to chew on.

Raelee is very firm in her beliefs, however in her mind... it isn't religious at all. She sees it as purely philosophical. She absolutely believes that the path of knowledge is the path to greatness. However, she does not pray. She does not do anything to pander to Fash'lo'nae specifically. She does not seek his approval. She just continues working and studying for its own sake - not to please the Grandfather. It's a purely logical thing - if Fash'lo'nae mandates knowledge above all else, why would he care about a bunch of lesser beings worshipping him? He's too busy with his own work and study. (Though, one could say that intense study is the true form of prayer to Fash'lo'nae...) In the end, this all manifests itself in a logic-based, amoral way of life. (Or at least... that's what she aspires to. She's not a Vulcan. She's not a robot. Pure logic and the natural human condition don't often get along.)

... so, the day that she DID have an intense connection with Fash'lo'nae... she was definitely thrown for a loop. This, to her, was outside the realm of possibility. It never occurred to her that Fash'lo'nae might actually notice her at all. In fact, she was fairly certain he wouldn't be paying attention. Thus, when he came down to Elanthia for a little chat with her, it was an odd moment of affirmation. This didn't suddenly turn her religious though. Fash'lo'nae indicated that she was doing well, thus it served as a grand confirmation that she should keep doing what she's been doing all along. However, there is a part of her that would give anything for another opportunity to speak directly to him now that she knows he sees her. There are so, so many questions she could ask...

(OOCly speaking, it seems that opportunities for the real, intense connection has the potential to become almost addictive. I suppose that can be the root of zealotry for many. You have that one moment... then you'll do near anything for another.)

... and then there's the rest of the Arkati.

She acknowledges that they all have their places and their roles. This IS a polytheistic society, afterall. However, she has an almost pathological need for self-sufficiency (psychologically, not religiously)... thus she is very firmly against asking them for much of anything. She recognizes that she is a part of a segment of the population that has had an almost bizarrely frequent amount of contact with the Arkati. Thus, she feels many are too quick to take this for granted. We've seen them save us time and time again... so she is always quick to say, "And what will we do when they do not answer?" (Given that, the fact that Charl had to clean up the biggest mess she's ever made in her life was extremely humbling, humiliating and damaging.)

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."
Re: Connections 10/03/2011 04:44 PM CDT

Naitalya doesn't really speak much about religion unless she absolutely trusts the person. She's not ashamed of her Patron, but she knows that there are a lot of misconceptions about Mularosians. I wouldn't use the word fervid to describe my elf. She believes, above all, that there is a balance and each persons choice and their actions keep the delicate balance in our world.
Re: Connections 10/03/2011 05:43 PM CDT
Things like religion are the sorts of things Balinworn pretty rarely talks about. He prefers to listen and absorb. Partly because he prefers to generally stay in the background but also because he prefers to simply always rely on strength of arms, weapons and tactics. He is a fighter after all.

However, he's always been fairly curious about The Gods, who they really are and what kinds of powers they actually have. While he always appears goofy, carefree and sort of dumb Balinworn is always, always inquisitive and trying to learn. He just enjoys appearing dull as it helps him go unnoticed.

That being said, he's found time and again through his life, Ronan keeps popping up in various ways. The influence has definitely been there. Balinworn has gone asking questions to various people very, very privately about it. Not sure where that's going to go yet but we'll see.

There was also a commune that has had an intensely profound effect on him. It was part of a pretty involved player storyline that had a group of us performing a commune to Onar thinking that was who had cursed someone. Sheru ended up showing up. It's the absolute only thing (Apart from Rayyne's Void Blade) that Balinworn will admit to being terrified from. He refused to back down and even lived through it where five or six others died but it most certainly has had a lifelong impact. It's why he constantly fights anything Sheru oriented (And is another element of being drawn to Ronan).

Finally, there was the time during the Krolvin occupation of River's Rest that Aeia spoke to Balinworn. It was but a single phrase, but again it's something he will never forget. It was...invigorating and beautiful. But at the same time he took it as something he has to forever live up to. It's why every single time he's in River's Rest he stops by Her altar and tries to introduce others to Her as well. And for those that really pay attention, you'll see it's the only altar he'll kneel for. :)

Balinworn
Re: Connections 10/03/2011 06:27 PM CDT
Kretan is not a terribly religious fellow.

However, upon arriving in River's Rest he was introduced to the protector and patron spirit, Aeia, by the community at large. He became more and more engrossed with the goddess as he delved into the history of the Citadel. As expected, he delights in growing things, gardens, and the Rest... though he particularly venerates her role as the protector on the Rest. However, he does find himself making easy friends with followers of Imaera and Kuon.

He has only been present during a single manifestation of the goddess, which was merely wind scented with lillies at the end of a particular nasty fight to free children of the Rest of the Krolvin Carrack during the Smuggler's War. During said escapade he did find himself in brief possession of some Luukosian Deathwort. Even through the box, the experience left him scarred and quite against the Luukosians.

He prays often at the various shrines and statues to her around the Rest, though often in private.
Re: Connections 10/04/2011 02:52 PM CDT
>>What does an intense connection to a specific Arkati mean to your character? We've all seen different levels of zealotry in GS -- just like in the real world, there are the fervent worshipers and the casual supporters. Where does your character fall on that spectrum? What would you expect to result from an incredibly intense connection, given the nature of Elanthia's Arkati? Just some stuff to chew on.

I've been chewing on the idea of sharing my main character's religious backstory or not. I am pretty certain anyone who knows my character knows that he is quite devoutly a supporter of Ronan. Some know how much and some don't. I would say that all of my characters view the arkati as extremely powerful beings. They are beyond our comprehension and through worshiping them we do see both a benefit and trials set before us. Are they gods? For all intents and purposes, yes. If there are beings or a being more powerful, they are dormant or long gone seemingly. So, yes, my characters generally view them as gods.

Galenok has spoken to Ronan or his avatar (I am not sure the difference matters) on multiple occasions, at least three and possibly five to six times (memory sucks). He was one of the last two characters named as a Blade by Chaeye during GSS (unfortunately he was never marked). So, I would say his "official" interactions with his God, have been relatively more numerous if not more profound than most.

Unofficially, via self-created storyline, he is even more actively a servant of Ronan. Ronan placed a tattoo upon him, initiating a call to Galenok for his service that could not be denied. Galenok is, what I term, a Dream Guardian. Much like there are Dream Walkers, there are those who defend people while they dream. Whether it is from Sheru, those that directly serve Sheru (or another arkati) or simply some sort of direct attack via the dream state, Galenok is there to defend or aid persons he is directed to assist by Ronan or simply on his own discretion.

Galenok directly combats the stuff that creates nightmares or worse night terrors. I view dream walkers as those who actually venture into dreams and interact with those as they dream. They are more likely to instruct, guide or influence those people while they dream but are not necessarily the best at staving off the evil that seeks to harm us while sleeping/dreaming. That's what I view a dream guardian's purpose to be.

Obviously, directly working for an arkati and against the whim of other arkati would indicate my character has a strong faith. Certainly it goes beyond simply believing they exist. Thankfully, I don't believe that my own storyline has conflicted with that set forth as canon by the GMs past or present. I do like that the GMs try hard to allow for player created ideas and concepts without crushing them, at least the last several years or so. Thanks Auchand, for allowing for many sorts and kinds of Dream Walkers beyond your own in your ongoing storyline. I most assuredly breathed a sigh of relief when you quelled my fears before about just that.

Also, thanks to Charna and Evelith for encouraging my character's back story all those years back as I was developing it.

~Galenok
Re: Connections 10/04/2011 08:04 PM CDT
I think it depends on the character. There isn't too much motivation to bring it out in most cases.

My cleric/paladin was a fervant follower of Charl. Shes just as scared of him as everyone else, but she loves scaring others with him.

My warrior on the other hand is a person who believes theres only two things certain in life. death and politics. She doesn't serve Gosanea (or any arkati since they are all mortal.) But she respects the keeper of death.

And my little human follows Koar but no ones really asked about that
Re: Connections 10/05/2011 12:22 PM CDT
Saidear has been working with another on this. He's not looking for a visit from either Koar or Onar, and would probably run screaming from the encounter. What he is after is some sort of proof that there is more to life than his repeated deaths. Something to work towards.

(OOC - Not sure how, even fervent worship could give a rogue any benefits)

"Oh, and why is there a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms anyway? That makes as much sense as having a Bureau of Coal, Petroleum and Citrus Fruit."
Re: Connections 10/05/2011 01:13 PM CDT
<<What does an intense connection to a specific Arkati mean to your character? We've all seen different levels of zealotry in GS -- just like in the real world, there are the fervent worshipers and the casual supporters. Where does your character fall on that spectrum? What would you expect to result from an incredibly intense connection, given the nature of Elanthia's Arkati? Just some stuff to chew on.>>

Nilandia is a bit of a paradox in several senses. She has great respect for all Arkati and spirits, and is rather polytheistic in honoring whichever is appropriate for the situation. At the same time, she looks to Lumnis and Imaera as her primary patrons. As a sylvan, she was brought up to honor Imaera and all of nature. She looks to her as a sort of mother figure, now that she is alone with no family or people she knew from home. When she was young, her mentor introduced her to honoring Lumnis, which she instantly took to as someone with a deep thirst for wisdom. Lumnis has become a guide for her since she left home, and she will refer to Lumnis as 'the Teacher.'

Nilandia is intensely spiritual, but she is not religious. She is always trying to bring honor to her Patrons Lumnis and Imaera as well as emulate them in her life. She revels in nature, tries to protect the lives of others and resists violence like Imaera, and is constantly learning, teaching and giving counsel to all to follow Lumnis. However, she does not subscribe to formal dogmas and religious orders. She's far too much of an independent spirit to tie herself to a formal religious clergy or structure. She is also not the type to try to convert people to her way of thinking, but will welcome people who inquire and answer any questions as best she can.

Because she is not a priest or someone who wields her Patrons' power directly, she doesn't see herself as having a connection to them. Rather, she had convinced herself that they had turned away from her because of her leaving her family and the people who she had cared for. Her conclusion has been challenged, however, as she has had direct contact with them on a few occasions when she wasn't seeking it. She has even been named Lumnis' Chosen and the Keeper of Knowledge in Plat during the current storyline, despite her conviction that she was utterly unworthy of such. She has since come to accept Lumnis' will in her choice and resolves to fulfill her role to the best of her ability.

For the moment, I believe Nilandia has a rather close connection to Lumnis for someone not of the clergy. She knows that Lumnis isn't the type to hand out answers but subtly guide her down the right path when the situation calls for it. Her connection to Imaera is a bit more nebulous, as she's been rather silent for the most part. Nilandia stays outside in nature and does as much as possible to renew her connection with the earth, hoping that Imaera still loves her, but she hasn't yet been given a sign of where she stands.

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Connections 10/09/2011 10:15 AM CDT
Eugenides' intense connection with himself is integral to who he is as a person (and character). If he did not have that all important connection, well... he wouldn't be who he is!

Woah. That's deep.

In so far as the spectrum of worship goes, Eugenides can be, and usually is, at any given point on it at any given time (dependent upon circumstance or general mood, etc.). At times, he fully supports himself. At times, he isn't supportive at all. Then there's all the stuff in between.

Incredibly intense connection with Eugenides, by Eugenides, ended with Eugenocide. I'd expect future connections of such intense nature to cause more "very bad things."

~Eugenides, Deific?

The town guard says, "Just when I think I've seen it all, someone like Eugenides walks by and well...." The town guard nods to you.
Re: Connections 10/10/2011 03:35 AM CDT
"What does an intense connection to a specific Arkati mean to your character? We've all seen different levels of zealotry in GS -- just like in the real world, there are the fervent worshipers and the casual supporters. Where does your character fall on that spectrum? What would you expect to result from an incredibly intense connection, given the nature of Elanthia's Arkati? Just some stuff to chew on." -- Korelyz

First, keep in mind that I choose to RP a little differently. I'm sure there could be a lengthy debate with the consensus being that I'm horrible at it, but if you [general] aren't happy with my style.. I'm certainly not forcing you [general] to spend any time with me. Also, a lot of it is due to deciding things I wanted for my character long before any mechanical aspects of a deity were present.

My character Arianiss, an elven cleric, is a follower of Lorminstra and Luukos.

Now, with that out of the way...

These questions are difficult for me to answer, because it relies on my feelings.. which are always hard for me to explain properly.

Ask me all the details of how your 632 DS is acquired, and I can rattle off a 5 page answer, but ask me the meaning of an intense connection? Pfffft.

One of the big 'facets' of Arianiss and his feelings on the arkati is the elven stance (back in the day) that the arkati aren't THAT important. That they're just a race of ascended beings filling the void left by the drakes, and that we [well, the elven race specifically] too will one day ascend to their status.

I figure Ari became interested in being a cleric at a young age, though he's always been a fighter. I think he saw the 'power' of a cleric and in his heart he's always been a softy and so he wanted to help others (plus back then, though I didn't know it at a time, clerics were badass because of the need to train in hunting skills 70+).

I don't think he's always had that strong of a relationship with the arkati, and most likely fell in line with Lorminstra because she (Goseana wasn't as huge back then as she is now) best aligned with the mentality of a cleric (helping others).

Fast forward to the events of the Vvrael saga. During this period I decided to spice things up a bit, and created a story to explain why I re-rolled Ari. Lorminstra has this call to action, but she wasn't doing anything. Ari, very stubborn, communes and openly calls her out on it. In her annoyance, she busts him back down to private. Not seeing the 'task' set before him, he calls it quits and goes godless for a bit.

Cue some drama, and enter Luukos. Ari dies 'with a lie' and ends up meeting Luukos in the afterlife. Luukos offers him the chance to 'come back', at the cost of his soul, and poof.. Ari's back up and running.

(I was doing a lot of re-rolling during this period of time)

Eventually Ari makes amends with Lorminstra, but it can't be denied that the darker tendencies are closer to the surface and that Luukos has influence over him.

Another thing to keep in mind when answering questions like yours, Korelyz, is that the arkati might better be thought of as politicians or movie stars (inadequate description) in our eyes.

While I can't speak for other religions.. in christianity there's not a handful of beings to 'follow', and there certainly aren't any that make their presences known so openly and often.

This has the effect of desensitizing people to truly miraculous and intense situations.

Why am I going to drop to my knees crying at the appearance of an arkati, when I've seem them plenty of times before?

So to finally answer your questions...

I suppose myself, and Arianiss, are casual supporters.

I don't think the arkati can achieve an intense connection. There's no mystery involved in the encounters with them.
Re: Connections 10/10/2011 03:21 PM CDT
>In so far as the spectrum of worship goes, Eugenides can be, and usually is, at any given point on it at any given time (dependent upon circumstance or general mood, etc.). At times, he fully supports himself. At times, he isn't supportive at all. Then there's all the stuff in between. -SHADOWTHEFT

I loved this. Actually, I loved the whole post. Quite literally, I couldn't have described it better myself.

Though I probably would have said, if prompted (and you did -- well not you, you, but the original poster), that Sepher is slightly bipolar with psychotic features (how's that for unspecific!) and will do whatever creepy insane thing that piques his interest. Some sort of connection would likely just incite worse of the same and in somewhat sporadic directions.

More often than not, I don't have any sort of plan for what I'm about to do. Once I dial myself into the mindset that I've built for him, everything is on the fly. It's way more fun that way when I get a great idea because I can act it out immediately (usually I just start laughing maniacally in front of the monitor when such ideas arrive).

Sorry. What were we talking about?

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: Connections 10/13/2011 04:14 PM CDT
I feel like Arulisse is a bit of a weirdo, especially for being a cleric.

While she's loyal to Charl and would never, ever switch deities, and has no problem discussing him, she has a particular disdain for proseltyzers, that she can't really get over. She feels like it's insulting to the Arkati to go out and try to convert "followers" because she feels the Arkati have power that is unique and unrelated to the number of followers they have.. basically, it's a quality over quantity thing (barring specific Arkati that clearly want teaming masses of followers, like Eorgina). She feels it serves the Arkati and regular adventurers alike to not choose allegiance unless you are 100 percent sure and steadfast that it's the path you want to take. Basically, either follow with all of your heart or don't follow at all.. it's one of the few things she's very all or nothing about. She respects zealots and she respects "agnostics" but has little regard for "casual" people.

As far as Arulisse's connection to Charl.. to say that she empathizes with Charl and that's why she follows him is an understatement. To her, life is like an ocean- sometimes it's raging and dashing you against the rocks, sometimes it's slow and soothing and calm and delivers you safely to what you're seeking, and like the ocean, you're not going through life alone... there's millions of other beings and things moving through it with you in different ways. Sometimes it's frightening, sometimes it's beautiful, many times it's both. Charl himself is a bit of an outcast among the Arkati- he swears fealty to Koar and thus is among the Liabo pantheon, but he's aloof and keeps to himself and is more "neutral" than wholesale good.. that's something that Arulisse can easily identify with. She's half-sylvan and had a very hard childhood and young adulthood and has lived her entire life on the "fringe" of society, and she sees the world in various shades. The fact that she was basically tortured for a century by a Dhe'nar has done little to diminish her full-hearted belief that their people and pursuits are noble, for instance. She doesn't let the torture define her view of them.

As far as what an intense connection to Charl would likely be for Arulisse.. I imagine for her, it would be the constant draw to water and while there, visions and lessons that impart the beauty/terror duality of existence. I don't imagine her being terrified of Charl himself- she doesn't consider herself or pretty much anyone worthy of his attention either for favor or ire, therefore she'd meet whatever he chose to dole out to her with acceptance be it terrible or amazing or some combination thereof. As for what he would show her, I imagine it would terrify her but amaze her as well. As for it lingering, I imagine run-ins with Charl would result in periods of going mute while mulling over whatever mysteries of the deep. Either by choice or because Charl wants you to shut your mouth and ponder.
Re: Connections 10/15/2011 09:24 PM CDT
I love all the points you guys have brought up here. In getting ready to run this storyline, I've spent time trying to puzzle out Eorgina's motivations and feelings (if any!) towards her followers, as well as observing their attitudes towards her. I think, though, that these kinds of questions are better answered when you have perspectives from all kinds of religious RP.

-Korelys

Re: Connections 10/16/2011 12:29 AM CDT
Most people who know Kasia know that she is aligned with Ivas. I say aligned and not a follower of her because the relationship is an odd one in the respect that Kasia does not worship Ivas as a deity. She owes Ivas a debt due to things you will have to know her to find out, and so she does as she must. She does claim to be one of Ivas' temple dancers and considers it a pretty big honor. In general though her manner is a bit more understated than you might expect one of Ivas' people to demonstrate. She has her moments where she recognizes that kind of power and its importance in certain situations, but in general she's a very cautious soul.

That said, she also pays close attention to what Ronan and the Dreamwalkers are doing at any given moment. Given that the closest people to her are very closely involved with them, she makes it her business to know what they are doing. She made a bargain that if Ronan would keep these specific people safe, then she would never fight against his interests.

So I wouldn't call her religious, nor would I call her casual. Her only goal is to see that certain people are kept safe and she does what she must to see that it happens that way. She's a bit mercenary in that respect. She doesn't see herself as the type any higher beings would bother with, nor does she think they are in any way the benevolent "deities" that other people see them as. Especially Oleani. Don't get her started on that front.

Kasia's inner elf.
Re: Connections 10/25/2011 05:07 PM CDT

Sorry for the length of this but this is my best explanation of Ghrayce's faith. It's a rough copy of the storytelling she did on Faith last month.

Firstly, I should warn you I am not a storyteller. Nor am I a scholar or especially enlightened. Tonight, here in this setting, the term that would best befit me is perhaps...student.

I struggled most grievously with what to offer you this eve. How to go about sharing my unwavering faith in a way that is both easy to understand and enjoyable to hear? Because, make no mistake; your enjoyment is very important. That is if I am to accomplish the goals that have driven me here.

I am often asked ‘Why Niima?’ I have been told ‘She’s not even an important Akarti.’ Some in ignorance even suggest that she is not an Akarti. Others have said “She has no real power.’ It is in these moments that I delight in the knowledge and teachings of my youth. So that is where we shall begin..with a moment of thought to our own youth.

For me my family was typical of most families. A caring mother determined to raise a “Proper Young Lady.’ A hardworking and loving father, consumed with providing all that his family might need. It was a happy and harmonious home by most standards. We were not rich, but father always provided enough.

And yet whenever I wanted something, it was not my father I asked. I asked my mother. Did you do the same? This was not because I thought my father didn’t love me, for never in my life did I doubt that I was dear to him. I did not ask my father because even as a child I grasped the knowledge that his world was much larger than mine. I understood that he had cares and concerns that surely eclipsed trivial matters such as whether or not I got one of those new kites from the local store before the shopkeeper sold them all.

I asked my mother, because she did understand the concerns my father wrestled with. She was wise enough to know the right time to ask my father and she always found a way to present things in the best possible light. I asked my mother because I was dear to my father….but my mother was precious to him.

In my limited scope, experience and understanding of this world, surely the Greater Akarti have much larger concerns than the trivial matters of mortal life. That’s not to say they never concern themselves with our desires for I am certain they can a do.

But are we not unlike children in their eyes? To the Akarti are we not children who understand so little and possess magic and strength limits far below their own? And therein resides Niima’s place in my life.

Here is my answer to the question “Why Niima?” I seek her favor because she can understand a knowledge and power far beyond my scope of understanding. Ancient legend holds that Niima’s mother, much like the Akarti Lumnis, took a particular interest in mortals. It is my belief that Niima shares her mother’s fondness for mortals and as such is more likely to hear their petitions. It is my eternal hope that if my lady should hear my prayers, she will intercede on my behalf to those who otherwise might not give a thought or a care otherwise. Perhaps she herself will protect me in her gentle embrace while the world rages around me.

Don’t be fooled by Niima’s eternal youthful spirit and usual gentle demeanor. These are not signs of weakness, but rather gifts that bridge the chasm between immortality and new life.

If time but allowed, I would delight in sharing with you with details of just how deep Niima’s favor flows within the Akarti, but there are others to hear and I’ve no desire to bore you. Should you ever desire to explore this matter in greater depth, please allow me the opportunity to join you in that quest?
Re: Connections 10/26/2011 04:01 AM CDT

>>What does an intense connection to a specific Arkati mean to your character? We've all seen different levels of zealotry in GS -- just like in the real world, there are the fervent worshipers and the casual supporters. Where does your character fall on that spectrum? What would you expect to result from an incredibly intense connection, given the nature of Elanthia's Arkati? Just some stuff to chew on.

Hadya has a very intense connection to Luukos, and is very fervent. I think in the last few days that's pretty much been proven, the fact that she was willing to endure the wrath of-- not only an Arkati which she betrayed (Ronan.) but a good deal of a community who began to trust her. Hadya has a deep respect for all Arkati (even if she lies to them.), and people of other faiths who walk the path of service. She understands that faith is a hard road to tread no matter your alignment. She has respect for those not only on darker paths, but the light ones as well. While Hadya herself is of course, on the dark side, she believes she plays apart in the balance of faith (As in, someone has to be on the dark side, and I play my part.)

I would say Hadya is a zealous follower of Luukos. While she is a zealot, she isn't the crazy, preach on the corner type. Yes, she does seek converts, and if she thinks someone is a good candidate she will try to influence them. She started following Luukos through a complicated series of events which she only tells those whom she feels close to (I think she's only told two people, ever.), and while in the beginning she wasn't as connected, over the years her worship has crept into just about every facet of her life, personal relationships, reasoning, how she views people. I hate to say it, but she believes the worst of just about everyone, and believes that everyone is a liar, betrayer and a hypocrite(she'll never admit this.). She only trusts a select few and she knows that will probably come back to bite her in the butt.

She also treads more carefully than she used to, when she was fresh in her faith she was brash and defiant towards others and a little careless. These days she is careful with how she words things, how she makes decisions. While she'll always have some snark in her, she's a little more cautious with how she reacts to certain situations. Her worship has definitely changed the person she is over the years, and I suspect it will only keep happening.

Hadya's relationship with Luukos is one of completely devoted service. She looks on him as her master, she is a servant who follows her master's orders without question. She would go to any lengths to do his bidding and please him. If you ask her why, she'll tell you that he's the first to put her faith in her and she feels honored to be gifted with his presence.

I have other clerics (a Jastavian and an Oleani priestess.) but they haven't really evolved like Hadya has.

---
The Tehir and the Illistimi's string puller
<<I know merchanting sessions for me usually end with me huddled in a corner, rasping about "Judgment Day" and talking about Terminators. --Auchand
Re: Connections 11/07/2011 10:45 PM CST
<What would you expect to result from an incredibly intense connection, given the nature of Elanthia's Arkati?

Regarding Imaera:
As a casual follower my character would get a thrill seeing things that teach me more about her... kind of like scholastic subjects on Healing, Autumn, Nature, Animals, Plants, and the Harvest - and to Sylvans the 'wild, untamed nature'. In doing so you could tie in Autumn and the Harvest, Healing and Plants, Animals and Nature - with Imaera's involvement, her take, her passion - her world; as it relates to my hunting/eating/RP-ing with players.
i.e. I am hunting solo or interacting with others out of town, and a flash or vision prompts me to respond in a certain manner to gain another lesson

As a higher zealot, I would be keen to do an action that illustrates one of those subjects for others to see so that I can explain or describe Imaera's take/involvement, as it relates to my character's life.
i.e. I am hunting with a group, or interacting with others in an activity of 'healing, animals, plants or harvest', and a flash relating to the subject is noticed by all and I have the opportunity to teach others.

The lessons/teaching could also relate to Imaera's "restoration of much of the life of Elanthia after the Ur-Daemon War, notably the human-like races. She was honored often with Harvest festivals throughout Elanthia."
Re: Connections 11/10/2011 01:15 PM CST
Yes, Cryheart - it sure is intriguing.

Here's a mismash of my thoughts (always subject to change) on the topic.
Please, as always, pardon my inability to be real articulate.

If Koar and/or Lumnis appeared and wanted to personally offer me their philosophys of life for discussion, I wouldn't sniff at the experience.
That also goes for the dragon who keeps appearing momentarily while I'm on my walks around Elanthia - the dragon is my first choice, i want to know this "force."
I have no idea what he/she represents but want to understand.
Spike too, if he were to ever return.
I am curious about all the unknown, but couldn't be a follower with a passion & total loyalty.
We are all the same in my mind - I value no opinion or life over another. We are all meaningful. All have our parts. I keep seperated by choice and need.
I wouldn't align myself with any "deity," or anyone else.
My experience so far tells me to survive above all else - never sacrificing any of my soul & heart to be able to survive. To follow a path completely of my own making, as much as I can make that my path.
Living is my deity - the forces of existing and experiencing life without being "led" through it by another's ideals or philosophy or ethics or perspective - or lack of.
I created Caijin back in 1997, she & I are generally the same, and one changes when the other does. She isn't looking to be taught anything by anyone other than through her experiences. But she does love others' ideas - loves to make an effort to "understand," everything her mind and soul and heart can fill up on. Part of me would like to be able to create a character that is not at all like myself, but I can't think one up. I can hardly think myself up a lot of the time.
Cai & I believe Cause & effect - Chaos... due to cause & effect, must rule. That necessary places that need to be got to are got to through natural Chaos. She doesn't think there is any single endplace to go, other than straight ahead into an undestined infinity - forever; that the journey is what's important, not some destination.
She also has a huge desire to do no harm and to protect all life from harm & suffering.....and then there's a conflicting side to her nature - sometimes she just needs to go out & whack the crap out of someone, always waiting to be provoked first, to give killing some justification. She hates this in herself - the need/desire to destroy something she also has respect for.....but the conflicts are a part of the complete experience.
In my/Caijin's worlds the totality of the universe, nature, cause and effect and chaos rule - they are the undeniable (by me & her), main law & force - that are the Soul of a single All Powerful Force. An un-named God.
I think of Elanthia as only one place in the same universe that contains Earth.
Anyways - somewhere in all this ramblin' is Caijin's and my perspective on sacred & profane (we don't think of anything as absolutely profane), and connections - that it is all connected & non-connected, and that for the two of us to profess a loyalty to only part of the whole shehbang... well, that would put a momentary kink in it all, that someone (or many) would need to straighten out at some point, and we don't need that on our conscience.
I s'pose we just don't have a desire to play a part in an' effect & motives we can't be certain of. We don't think the gods need us.

Although...
we are both greatly tempted to try to kill the power hungry mayor in Wehnimer's, but are restraining ourselves. Once ag'in, trying mightily to avoid more kinks, since we are certain sompin's comin' outta the ether (or brickwork) that will take care of the whole nasty mess. Cause & effect is at work & I hope Cai and I are there as a witness, (or that i can find a log of the whole thing.)

"Are you ready."

"I'm Ready."

"Okay. Let's go do Great things."
Re: Connections 11/10/2011 01:53 PM CST
For my empath, following Imaera means pledging herself to a particular aspect: the goddess of fields and meadows, the one who brings healing herbs and helpful crops to fruition. She knows the goddess has other, darker aspects, and she's comfortable with them, but that's not where her service lies. She believes her healing powers are a direct gift from Imaera, and that in exchange for the gift she must never kill another being--death is a natural part of Imaera's cycle, but it's not her role to grant it. The one time she did accidentally kill something, she "lost" her healing powers. To restore them, she underwent a purification ritual and then spent several years working exclusively with herbs, returning to her roots and rebuilding her confidence in her skills.

If Imaera told her it was time to move on to another phase of the cycle, to become the hunter (or the planter) instead of the healer, she'd be uncomfortable with the change in role, but she would do it. She would generally consider any contact with Imaera--a whisper of words, a sense of her connection to and place in the cycle of nature--to be a highpoint of her life.

None of my other characters are as close to their chosen Arkati. My bard looks up to Jaston as the sylvan who "made it," so to speak, and also tends to think of him as the first musician because of his dominion over the winds--Cholen's music is all well and good, but when she sings and plays what she really wants to capture are the sounds of nature. She hopes he likes her compositions and she might on occasion ask for him to bless her lute when she's particularly nervous, but she doesn't really expect any direct intervention into her life. At most, she thinks that if she spends a lot of time really intently listening to the song of the wind, he might help slip a scrap of melody into her head. If he did turn up in person, she'd be awed and tripping over her own tongue.

My wizard follows Zelia with about the reverence and seriousness that you'd expect of a Zelian. Her faith is pretty private; she's been through some rough stuff, and Zelia is who she turns to when she needs to get away from the insides of her own head. They argue a lot. She knows and doesn't care that it's possible she's just arguing with herself. I have no idea what she'd do if Zelia turned up. Probably argue more.

My rogue doesn't follow any of the Arkati, but she respects some more than others--V'tull, Kai, the Huntress, Laethe, Fash'lo'nae, and most of all Gosaena (with whom she, in her hubris, feels a lot of kinship). She would treat any of them with polite caution if they turned up, but whether or not she did anything they asked would depend on if she saw anything concrete in it for her. There might be exceptions for Gosaena and Laethe. She'd be looking for things like new combat techniques or lost historical knowledge, or possibly political influence.
Re: Connections 11/10/2011 08:53 PM CST
RE: "I've spent time trying to puzzle out Eorgina's motivations and feelings (if any!)..."

I am forever trying to puzzle out the motivations and feelings of any person, or "deity in Elanthia" concerning others.
Trying to understand the "psychology" of what anyone wants from anyone else.
Including myself.
What are each of us absorbed with? Whether the being is a God or a mortal?
Why do we fight to survive?
Is there anything of substance in each of our individual natures that isn't ephemeral & can't be destroyed by some outside "or" inner force(s).
And concerning Gods alone - can they survive and remain Gods if all mortals become extinct?
Would they even care?

In Elanthia, the Gods come across to me as beings who got here before the rest of us, therefore they have more power over us, due to their knowledge gained from more experience. They are simply more evolved intellectually, but not really emotionally.
I have a sense that they are all playing, like children, and somewhere in the playing they are competing with one another, even if they don't realize it.
I don't sense anything Holy or Sacred about any of them.
Maybe they are trying to be what they think Gods should be - each having their own perception of that for his or her self.
Maybe they each feel an obligation to live up to some self assigned "duty" they are actually incapable of fulfilling; and finding that unacceptable.
Who assigned them the role of Gods? And who told them Gods must have followers and that acting solely on their own wasn't good enough?

This is all just off the top of my head - but, "there it is."
Re: Connections 11/14/2011 03:38 PM CST

Wow, I wish I'd seen this thread earlier. Completely missed it.

Lysistrata does follow Eorgina. Emulates her. Or how she views her, anyway, as I realize there a lots of different interpretations out there. To this end, she's very practical about the accumulation of power, with a very ends-justifies-the-means attitude, which is at the root of her choice in patronage. Strata wants to be powerful. Eorgina is powerful. Strata serves Eorgina's interests and Eorgina bestows favors that serve Strata's interests which are generally within Eorgina's domains anyway. Strata views any act of domination, of forcing one's will upon another, as bringing more power to Eorgina in general.

Strata wants to go the generic evil-doer route of RULE THE WORLD WITH AN IRON FIST and it seems (to Strata) that Eorgina would be cool with that. In her mind, she could just rule Elanthia in Eorgina's name and Eorgina would rule over her and the heavens and whatnot. It's a very basic payment for services rendered thing with Strata, rather than sheer zealous love of the Arkati. She feels a kinship with Eorgina in a kindred spirit kind of way, a role model. She doesn't expect her patron to do everything for her. If Eorgina were to be involved in a situation, the most Strata would hope for would be a gift of the right tools to get the job done herself.

My character would assume that greater power would come with a deeper connection to her patron. Although she's not given to introspection and meditation about it, she vaguely believes that Eorgina sees her followers as tools to use for her own purposes and everyone wants to have more powerful tools, heh. A greater connection would, to my character, be the knowledge of at least some of Eorgina's specific goals on Elanthia and the gift of greater power to more readily achieve those goals for the glory of both. And then, perhaps, rewards for succeeding although this nebulous 'greater power' concept might be the reward in itself.

Do I expect this stuff OOC? No. Terribly unbalancing. Fortunately, I play an elf and the long life span means she can be patient and work towards her goals slowly without ever achieving them in real time. But unfortunately, I'm also beginning to realize that the way I (and Strata) have envisioned Eorgina is definitely not the way others have which I guess is my fault for having Lysistrata be a solo operator all these years rather than joining the Circle while it was around.

She'll do her best in this storyline and probably hide her views a good deal because she's used to that anyway (and because I badly want to be a part of Eorgina activity) but she may have to drop out due to conflicting religious practices. She feels very Old Testament fire-and-brimstone next to the New Testament Eorgina-is-love stuff that's been bandied about recently and I don't know how she's reconcile that. But then again, it's just begun. We'll see!

That said, I'm glad there's any Eorgina activity at all (been too long!) and if any Lornonites are interested, they can seek Strata out for an introduction to the storyline. I say Lornonites because Strata views all of Lornon to be under Eorgina's power and command and those who serve the Queen's servants essentially... serve the Queen. And hey, maybe they'll convert! Again, just in my character's private opinion. She's on the Landing/Icemule/Solhaven side of the Dragonspine, bouncing between the three, so she's not too hard to find.

Dex
Re: Connections 11/15/2011 03:44 PM CST
>What does an intense connection to a specific Arkati mean to your character? We've all seen different levels of zealotry in GS -- just like in the real world, there are the fervent worshipers and the casual supporters. Where does your character fall on that spectrum? What would you expect to result from an incredibly intense connection, given the nature of Elanthia's Arkati? Just some stuff to chew on.--Korelyz

Responding late, and focusing on one of my other primary characters with whom I'd rather get involved with this quest, if I do end up doing so--

As a pure elf, Orthir adheres to the typical elven philosophy of Patronage among the Arkati. He does not view them as actual gods, benevolent or otherwise, but rather as exceptionally powerful and long-lived entities that have collectively chosen to personify (and support and perpetuate) different aspects of existence. They represent ideals, but in doing so they also represent exclusivity in support of their chosen aspects.

The nature of exclusivity among the individual Arkati ties into his fairly pantheistic approach toward the Arkati in general, in spite of having a single chosen Patron of his own.

Andelas, to him, represents a variety of desirable aspects: Strength, Stealth, Swiftness, Assurance, Tenacity, Patience, Beauty, Ferocity, Independence. While not tied exclusively to these nine - especially as they are an Imperial interpretation of Andelas - he does wholeheartedly embrace the concepts behind them as ideals to live by, just as he sees Andelas as an ideal to aspire toward and emulate.

To him, Andelas is not an entity who actively seeks to bestow his favor upon the mortal races, nor is he an entity who takes pleasure in them worshipping him. As such, his role as Patron for Orthir is much more spiritual than religious, almost entirely devoid of any sort of regimented rituals or celebrations or prayers. His philosophy is that this sort of emulation is an ongoing method of self-betterment. (This stance makes it entirely possible for him to operate with no religion-derived handicaps in a traditional elven society and complements his strong political and social allegiances.)

Similarly, it is perfectly acceptable to acknowledge and pursue ideals under the purview of other Arkati, and he certainly has 'second favorites', Eorgina chiefly among them.

I'm not sure that it would be possible for him to have a much more intense relationship with Andelas - outside of completely shattering the views he has developed over the past several hundred years and redirecting him with an entirely different focus on how to properly 'worship'. Ironically, I think it would be easier (relatively speaking!) to convert him to follow a different Arkati with a greater amount of outward fervor - either a conversion in full or in part. Whether or not that ever happens depends entirely on the circumstances and the specific Arkati. Either way, it'd have to be a fairly major personal event for him, and I don't expect that ever to happen.

I also don't really see him ever getting anything out of his spiritual connection with his Patron outside of, well, the fact that it gives him that template to unconsciously emulate. While, sure, it would be neat to one day see him bestowed a fancy title or mark by Andelas or an avatar, I don't ever expect that to happen - especially after the recognition my Luukosian has received for her service. Similarly, Orthir's own reaction would probably be something along the lines of, "...hey, thanks, that's pretty nice. But, uh. How about you and me go grab a bite to eat somewhere nice? And afterward I'll show you just how much I really appreciate it. *wink wink*"

- Overlord EK