Tales that need telling? 01/29/2016 01:46 AM CST
Any gaps people can recall that should be filled in or that don't seem mentioned at all?

Major and Minor storylines representations.
https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Storylines_Timeline

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Storylines
Re: Tales that need telling? 01/29/2016 09:46 AM CST
The first Griffin Sword War link gave me an internal server error and a 404 error the first time I clicked it, but now I see it's functioning. A quick viewing and I see that the telling on the House of the Rising Phoenix site does not include the information I later discovered about the reforging of the sword prior to its placement in the stone. That information was included the last time I told the tale, and I do have record of it.

The Second Griffin Sword War page on the Wiki is woefully incomplete, but there is great info on the second war readily available, such as what is available on the play.net page. As a keeper of info on the first war, I am sometimes a bit chagrined that a lot of people don't even know of the first war. Perhaps it's time to rectify that a bit, with another live telling of that story.

Kerl
Re: Tales that need telling? 01/29/2016 11:44 AM CST

Kerl's telling, First Sword Saga, circa late 90's.

http://web.archive.org/web/20011125183137/http://www.1freespace.com/gowain/griffon.htm
Re: Tales that need telling? 01/29/2016 12:29 PM CST
That's similar to the telling on the Phoenix website... but some time later I acquired logs of the reassembly, and incorporated it into the telling. The log had me on the edge of my seat. In the interest of making information available to all, here's the added part of the tale, by itself, from the teller's perspective.

Fade to scene: an old warrior sits in a pub and tells a tale, some ten or so years ago. The scene is a table in an in in Illistim, during the throws of the Second Griffin Sword War, and some context is needed.

The warrior tells his tale, after some brief introductions:

...All the parts of the Griffin Sword had been recovered, Elanthia was safe, and the story was nearly over, yet the sword was still in pieces. It was clear that it must somehow be reassembled, but how?

There was much debate about what to do with the sword once reassembled. Who should receive the honor of wielding the sword? What would be done with it? How would it be kept from falling into the wrong hands?

<questions asked and answered if possible>

The answers to all of the questions about who should wield it or what should be done with it would be made clear with another visit by the prophet. Roughly a month after all of the pieces were found, he returned and summoned each who held a piece.

At this time, the group consisted of Shardik with the hilt, Gillaume with the pommel, Tedra who now held the quillions, and Challen with the blade.

The prophet gathered the four, and recounted the story to date. The weapons construction, it's consecration by Lorminstra, through the eventual fall of Morfell Destrieder, until that day where they held the four pieces.

They assembled in Lady Tedra's cabin, and there, the prophet would show them the way to purify the sword. He spoke of a way that he had traveled once, to a pool, "the pool of tears". They must go there, and put each piece in the pool to purify it.

Each was to perform their task individually. They were required to defeat the guardian of the pool, and then place their piece in the pool, and then upon an altar where Lorminstra would again bless the piece.

Would defeat mean a battle, a puzzle to solve? They would soon find out. Each was forbidden to speak of their task with the others, lest their resolve be tainted by weakness. They would each have to complete the task themselves.

The legendary Corwin D'Amber, was chosen as scribe, and would observe the entire event, but was not allowed to interfere. A task which he performed faithfully, and to whom we owe this account of the purification.

A thin veil of fog appeared in the cabin... the way to the pool.

Shardik, the holder of the hilt, would go first through the fog.

Upon passing through the fog, he came upon a lake, which was the pool of tears. It stretched out in front of him, and was surrounded by evergreen trees and blanketed in a thin fog. An altar of stone stood next to the lake, finely crafted and quite sturdy. As beautiful as it was, a profound sense of sorrow hung in the air of the place.

The Guardian of the lake was also there.

Rather than immediately springing to the attack, Shardik was wise and held his impulse to fight in check. Instead, he engaged in a dialogue with the guardian.

The guardian asked, "who goes there, and for what purpose"? To which Shardik answered, "Shardik, D'Clanner, and I am here to sanctify this unholy blade, and serve Lorminstra as best I can.

And so a series of questions were asked of Shardik, by the guardian, who was judging his character and intentions in the process. Finally, the guardian asked, "Then what is this pool Shardik besides a body of holy water?

Shardik answered, "The tears of Lorminstra", which was the correct answer.

And again the guardian asked a question, "and why does Lorminstra cry"? to which Shardik answered, "Probably due to the evil in the land, and the betrayal of those who betrayed her and sought her demise", which was not quite correct.

The guardian responded, "A wise answer, and close. This pool as you call it, which it once was, has grown into a small lake over eternity. Every time someone chooses a life of evil, or permanently dies before their time, she comes here to shed a tear.

At this point, the guardian was satisfied that since Shardik had not attacked, his heart was in the right place, and that he had been sent to perform the purification task. The guardian instructed Shardik to proceed.

Shardik knelt, and placed the hilt into the Lake of Tears. It let out a sharp hiss and steam rose from it. Suddenly, a white glow surrounded the hilt and it seemed to seep into it. Then the water was still.

Shardik picked up the hilt, and placed it on the altar, and said a prayer to Lorminstra.

For an instant the sense of sorrow left Shardik, and Corwin, and they felt kindness seep into their souls.

Shardik's task was complete. It would now be the great cleric Gillaume's turn.

Gillaume, while a great cleric, was never a man known for his patience. He could strike a blow like no other cleric I have ever seen. In this case, his choice would be to make a quick strike to take control of the situation.

Gillaume walked into the area by the lake, and immediately cast the bind spell at the guardian. He failed miserably.

While he frantically tried to spell himself up, the guardian struck with a spell that created a brilliant white fire. Gillaume was consumed by it, and dropped dead, his lifeless corpse slumping to the ground.

Corwin let out a sigh, and asked if he could be permitted to take Gillaume back to his realm. The guardian agreed and Corwin picked up Gillaume's bastardsword and dragged his corpse through the fog back to the cabin.

"So that's why they call him the guardian", he muttered in a ghostly voice, once back at the cabin.

It was now Tedra's turn. She turned and gave her husband a kiss, and stepped through the fog.

Now Tedra, (speaking of elders who strike a mean blow), felt that the correct approach was the direct, yet civil approach. She simply asked the guardian, "will you let me pass?.

Again a series of questions ensued. "A pool? I guard many things, there is no pool here", "ahh, the lake", "you think your cause is righteous?" and so on... until the last question...

The guardian asked, "why is the lake filled with the ladies tears Tedra? To which she responded, "for the sorrow of all the souls she has not been able to save, I would imagine. For those who die bravely. For all those of good faith who have perished.

The guardian responded, "she sheds a single tear, for those who choose a life of evil, and for those who have perished before their time. That is why it is a lake and no longer a pool, many eons have I served her, and watched this pool grow.

The guardian then said, "Tedra, you came seeking knowledge of how to perform your task, very good, you were wise and chose not to attack, very good, and you have chosen the proper path in life, you may proceed.

And at that, Tedra took the quillians and placed them in the lake and again they hissed sharply, then fell quiet as a white glow surrounded them and soaked into them to the core. They were purified, and she placed them on the altar.

She prayed to Lorminstra, and her task was complete.

Finally, it was Challen's turn. With two successes, and one failure, Challen's actions could determine what the final outcome would be. He entered the fog and stepped out by the lake.

"Hello guardian," Challen said. To which the guardian responded, "hello Challen, why are you here?" Challen answered with a grin, "to defeat you."

And thus began the second such assault on the guardian. Challen, however, was not the direct frontal assault type such as Gillaume. He lept from hiding to swing at the guardian:

Challen leaps from hiding to attack!;Challen swings a gray eog dagger at the Guardian!;AS: +383 vs DS: +300 with AvD: +21 + d100 roll: +9 = +113;... and hits for 9 points of damage!;Torn muscle in the Guardian's left leg!

The guardian was vulnerable... yet hardly fazed. "Hide shall you?" it said as it prepped a spell. Challen attacked again...

Challen leaps from hiding to attack!;

Challen swings a gray eog dag at the Guardian!;AS: +383 vs DS: +300 with AvD: +21 + d100 roll: +28 = +132;... and hits for 46 points of damage!;Powerful slash!;The Guardian's left leg is severed at the knee!;The Guardian screams and falls to the ground grasping his mangled left leg!

While this may have seemed a success, the guardian was powerful beyond Challen's skill. It was not phased by the loss of it's leg. It cast a dark catalyst at Challen, who promptly exploded into a pile of pieces... some burnt, some frozen.... but all dead.

You were not nice Challen" was all the guardian had to say.

Corwin picked up Challen's shield and dag, and since he was unable to drag him through the fog, walked through himself.

Gillaume was allowed to return to the lake, and resurrect Challen.

Gillaume recited the following and raised Challen's fallen corpse...

Thou hast come unto the Hall of Waiting
Yet Lorminstra has not bid ye enter
Return to the land of the living..
And bide thy time until thou art summoned.

After being unstunned by Corwin, Challen was politely asked by the guardian to leave.

Now Gillaume was back by the lake, and saw this as a chance to redeem himself. He pleeded with the guardian, "you are mightier than I, and I beg your indulgence to complete the task Lorminstra has set for me.

At this, the guardian again started in on a series of questions, asking him about his devotion to Lorminstra, and why he had not yet learned that violence should not be the first choice. In the end, the guardian allowed Gillaume to proceed and put the pommel in the lake.

After the purification, the guardian asked, "one last thing Gillaume, what is this lake?" to which Gillaume responded, "the tears of Lorminstra", which was correct. The guardian proceeded to again explain that a single tear was shed for each person who had chosen the path of darkness, or had fallen before his time.

By the grace of Lorminstra, Gillaume's task was finished, and a sense of harmony and inner peace entered their souls.

Now, there still remained the task of Challen. What was to happen to the rogue who had severed the leg of the guardian?

Well the guardian was a very forgiving guardian, and allowed Challen to enter again and attempt to succeed where he had previously failed. "ready for another round?" it asked.

Challen declined, and apologized for his earlier misguided approach, and for the guardian's missing leg. Instead of choosing a fight, Challen brought out the blade, and asked that he be allowed to purify it and pray to Lorminstra.

Again, the guardian posed his series of questions, and Challen answered correctly and was allowed to purify the blade. And again the blade hissed as it was placed in the lake and then fell still as the white glow seeped into it.

Peace and harmony were felt by Corwin and Challen, and it was clear that all was done.

At this, the guardian asked Corwin if he would be the official chronicler of these events, to which Corwin agreed. It is only recently that Corwin's chronicles have been recovered from places long dark... which is why I am able to tell you this portion of the story now. Thank you Corwin.

Now, you would think that this tale is done, but it is not quite. The sword has not yet been reassembled, and the prophet informs all present that a gem that holds the power of the sword must now be found. It is known as "The Eye of Lorminstra".

After much searching, Corwin found the gem in Darkstone castle, and the group reassembled and waited for the prophet to return.

After a time, the prophet arrived, carrying the black stone that had stood in front of the temple, as well as an enruned chest. The pieces were all placed in the chest along with the Eye of Lorminstra, as well as the black stone.

At that, the prophet picked up the chest and left, stating that he would shortly be at the temple, and that all who should wish to be there should be summoned.

After a moment's time, the prophet arrived at the temple and said, "This day let it be know that Lorminstra was pleased. She has great thanks for all of you who helped to bring about this end.

The heavens above shimmered briefly, though nary a moon could be seen, and the voice of Lorminstra echoed through the air, "My dear Lord Morfell, for eons you have served in my name to remove the blight upon your honor. You have at last redeemed yourself, Morfell. I grant now that your name and identity are restored.

At that, it was revealed that the prophet was none other than Lord Morfell Destrieder himself.

Morfell promptly brought out the Griffin Sword, which was now reforged, and embedded in a white stone, and placed it there outside the temple for all to use to bless their weapons, and to further the release of the undead.

The sword was left as a testiment to those who fought in the protection of the town.

Corwin and Calnar, another chronicler were each given a tome in which to record the events, and Corwin and each that had faced the guardian were given a gold Lorminstra pin.

Over eons Morfell had served Lorminstra and had come to know that much can be learned from one's mistakes. His final request was that each of the pin holders do their best to show the path of light to those who had chosen evil.

In parting, Morfell said, "I have come to like the name of Prophet, so you may to continue to call me that, and fear not, in days ahead I shall return as needed...

And that, is the end of the story... or at least it WAS the end of the story. Thank you all very much for your patient listening.

Hope some of you find this enjoyable. I told this separately to a small group in Illistim during the second war, and had told it previously to a much larger group as well, as part of the whole story.

Kerl
Re: Tales that need telling? 01/30/2016 12:46 AM CST
It's been years since I've read logs of the First Griffin Sword War. I think they were on Danay's Domain with other ones I wish I had saved, but if I saved them they are on some other computer. I've left the Second War alone on the Wiki because I was not active in it and the Vaelsoth Inzuniel write-up is posted.

- Xorus' player

>A monastic lich points a skeletal finger at you and exclaims, "Your soul is forfeit!"
Re: Tales that need telling? 01/30/2016 01:31 AM CST
<<Any gaps people can recall that should be filled in or that don't seem mentioned at all?>>

I've never gotten around to writing up the events leading up to the Elemental Confluence release, which was kind of minor except the world could have been destroyed and now there's an energy ribbon in the sky with roaming tears in reality all over the continent.

It does not look like there is anything about the Shar storyline on there, but my (everyone's?) knowledge on that one is very sketchy.

- Xorus' player

>A monastic lich points a skeletal finger at you and exclaims, "Your soul is forfeit!"
Re: Tales that need telling? 01/30/2016 01:54 AM CST
There is some Shar stuff out there, but it's not cannon really so I never spent time on the Forgotten Realms goddess of darkness.