W/P/S High Cost 02/03/2021 06:21 PM CST
The Cost to add to W/P/S to mid to high gear is pretty eye popping I think for the average player.

When I first came back, I was fortune to get spun for slot, and the cost on my 6x Very Heavily Padded Brig to get 25 services was 8.3M silvers.

Do merchants ever offer winning a spot for no cost anymore, or greatly reduced cost at something capped more reasonable?

To work on some end of game gear a few times would more than bankrupt the average player I think at current prices.

Be nice to be able to have some chance to improve some nice gear without crazy costs.

Seems we have gone thru cycles on this stuff:
Back in the day it was pretty cheap to get +5 added to anything (perhaps with caps at up to 8x, etc), and adding padding was done cheaper or
with alot more done all at once.

Then GMs thought the game was too out of balance, and decreed no Padding, enchanting for anyone. That lasted years.

Then it came back, but the price for services was crazy.

Thoughts? Comments?
Re: W/P/S High Cost 02/03/2021 06:36 PM CST
>> When I first came back, I was fortune to get spun for slot, and the cost on my 6x Very Heavily Padded Brig to get 25 services was 8.3M silvers.

This is your issue. Every 5 services you get in the same service window, costs more than the previous 5 services.

Getting 5 services at a time over 5 service windows would be significantly cheaper than 8.3 million silver for your project. For a lot of people, I think around 10 services per service window is the cost / benefit breakpoint.

-- Robert

>> You tremble and can barely hold onto the mithril greataxe. You estimate it must be worth over a hundred million silvers!
Re: W/P/S High Cost 02/03/2021 06:48 PM CST
Check out the Service Count Multiplier on this page: https://gswiki.play.net/WPS_smithy

6-10 services cost 125% of the original 5.
11-15 services cost 300% of the original 5.
16-20 services cost 350% of the original 5.
21-25 services cost 500% of the original 5.

If I did my math correctly (questionable) you would only spend around 605k silver for the same work going 5 services per service window. So you are paying a premium of around 7.7 million silver to get all 25 service done now.

-- Robert

>> You tremble and can barely hold onto the mithril greataxe. You estimate it must be worth over a hundred million silvers!
Re: W/P/S High Cost 02/03/2021 07:43 PM CST

thanks for that information.

You would have to be lucky alot to progress, but I guess you can if your cost estimate is correct.
Re: W/P/S High Cost 02/03/2021 07:57 PM CST
>> You would have to be lucky alot to progress, but I guess you can if your cost estimate is correct.

If you are a Premium member or attend the pay events you can access the WPS wagon nearly every service window (every two months).

For example, I fully expect that the WPS wagon will be available at the upcoming DR event later this month.

Outside of those options I would agree that a lot of luck (or an incredible amount of time) would be needed.

-- Robert

Re: W/P/S High Cost 02/03/2021 08:22 PM CST
Window rules and price scaling still apply, but it always seems cheaper to me to get my padding done at Duskruin with bloodscrip.

--
ESP TUNE TOWNCRIER or ;tune towncrier
Web: http://gstowncrier.com/
Daily Email: gstowncrier.com/subscribe/

gstowncrier.com/where-to-find-the-towncrier/

Send in news: https://bit.ly/2ISsz2l

P.S. Help Wanted, Inquire Within
Re: W/P/S High Cost 02/04/2021 01:33 AM CST
<To work on some end of game gear a few times would more than bankrupt the average player I think at current prices. >

It's important to keep in mind that GS isn't like most other games in that it's designed to allow people to use the same 4x gear through to post-cap if they desire, with anything above that being icing on the cake. If they didn't make it difficult to improve gear too much beyond this, they'd have to rebalance the hunting areas and all that "awesome gear" folk have wouldn't be near so awesome anymore (I'm actually surprised they haven't done this yet, tbh).

What most people mean these days when they say "end of game gear" would have been considered close to auction quality and very difficult to improve at all before events like RCF and DR became a thing.... which was when most hunting areas were designed.

That said, the idea of charging silvers beyond the price of the ticket for raffle services has always left a bad taste in my mouth... esp when the raffle only has a single winner. I'd rather see stricter limits on what can be improved this way then winners having to walk away with nothing cause they don't have the silvers to get the service they "won".

I also think that merchants using spinners should have some sort of automated device that can tell people what it'll cost to have their gear improved should they be picked if it's going to be a variable cost. It's not fair to the player that gets picked to get them excited only to quote a high cost they weren't expecting and can't afford... and it's not fair to the players that didn't get picked and could have afforded it that folk that (unknowingly) can't afford are present to dilute their chances.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: W/P/S High Cost 02/04/2021 08:07 AM CST
>> Window rules and price scaling still apply, but it always seems cheaper to me to get my padding done at Duskruin with bloodscrip.

I'm guessing it is more along the lines of the BS is easier to come by for you or that you value BS / Silver differently than the "official" 1k Blooscrip : 1 million Silver target conversion rate. A few examples that I have documented:

+27 Adamantium Coat-of-Plates with existing 10 points of Crit Padding. Cost to add 10 Services of Damage Padding:
- 1.5 million Silver (WPS Wagon)
- 1,991 Bloodscrip (DR)

+50 Double Leathers with existing Crit Padding. Cost to add 10 Services of Crit Padding:
- 2 million Silver (WPS Wagon)
- 2,619 Bloodscrip (DR)

7x Perfect Permablessed Greataxe. Cost to add 10 Services of Crit Weighting:
- 3.7 million Silver (WPS Wagon)
- 4,615 Bloodscrip (DR)

-- Robert