Custom Combat messaging 03/19/2019 02:16 PM CDT

I think the ability to customize the messaging on our characters is a welcome addition to most any merchant event without tipping the scales of power. I was thinking about it, and I don't believe there is any customization for physical abilities right now. So some suggestions.

Mstrike custom 3rd party messaging - Dgry becomes a whirl of motion as he wildy flails his jabby stick to and fro.
ambush - Dgry wildly jumps from the shadows while screaming obscenities.
Garrote - Dgry appears out of nowhere behind a krovlin warfarer and slides a piece of wire taunt.
etc...

Dgry
Re: Custom Combat messaging 03/19/2019 02:51 PM CDT
"Taut" describes tension.

"Taunt" describes playground behavior. Neener neener!
Re: Custom Combat messaging 03/19/2019 03:12 PM CDT
Neither of which describes TAUT-ology either. . .

Just sayin'.

Doug
Re: Custom Combat messaging 03/19/2019 03:27 PM CDT
Hey, I'm here in the office trying to convince a 30-year old CPA, MS, that "acouple" is actually two (2) words.
Something like taut/taunt--and yes, spellcheck will in fact give that a big thumbs-up, because the word is spelled correctly (just used improperly...)--is an easy argument. :)
Re: Custom Combat messaging 03/19/2019 08:45 PM CDT
<I'm here in the office trying to convince a 30-year old CPA, MS, that "acouple" is actually two (2) words.>

Kids these days.... seems they stopped teaching spelling along with cursive...

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Custom Combat messaging 03/20/2019 08:12 AM CDT
Are you even allowed to taunt while garrotting? That sort of thing usually traps every verb with something like "you're too busy to do that right now". I'm not even allowed to grunt while hugging muggers!

There are plenty of combat actions that could use better messaging, e.g. coup while holding a shield (or two).

One thing I have done to get some customisation of attacks is to add fluff verbs to attack macros.
Re: Custom Combat messaging 03/20/2019 08:40 AM CDT
Honestly, the big problem for the last 30+ years is that people use spellcheck as the end-all/be-all, and don't bother to read through their text for correctness. Sure, all of the words are spelled correctly... but you're using the WRONG freaking word!

(I do not except from this a) major publications--the Washington Post springs to mind--and b) major publishing houses [there was not a bigger name than Tom Clancy in the mid-to-late 90s... and when his latest title hit the stands, on PAGE ONE (which is only a half-page of text anyhow) there were no fewer than three (3) errors].)
Re: Custom Combat messaging 03/20/2019 09:04 AM CDT
Coming full circle, because certainly we can contribute more to this thread than a spelling lesson...

Dgry's suggestion is pretty interesting and would add some fun flavor for weapon users in a similar vein as custom spell prep messaging. It could also be applied to specific weapons or the character, focusing the method one uses to "swing" their weapon. Such as, some generic ferocious manner for offensive stance, lame approach in defensive stance, or more suggestive of the resulting damage type or even aimed ambush location.

Person defensively swings at a creature, her barbed hook-claw slicing through the air!
Person steadies her aim and makes several quick stabbing motions at a creature!
Person cracks her braided leather cat o' nine tails at a creature, its many flanges licking at its jaw!
Person drops her right shoulder low and swings her perfect eonake mace in an upper-cut at a creature's chin!
Re: Custom Combat messaging 03/20/2019 09:44 AM CDT
Yep, like the suggestions. I was playing around myself one day thinking about how to change / expand the messages we see over, and over, and. . .

That got me to thinking as well, I wonder what the impact would be if our field experience buckets were 1000 times larger? Would that engender some of the other changes we were desiring in the game?

The tie - for those who might consider that a derailment - is that you would likely see the same message about 750 times less than before. . . It might not be quite so boring at that point?

Doug
Re: Custom Combat messaging 03/20/2019 11:16 AM CDT
I wouldn't mind seeing extra-special results on a 100 (we don't have open rolls in combat), either an extra effect or an extra flare, or different wording or an extra "wow!" [puts (10? 20?) experience directly in your mind state, like a bounty payout], or...

Same thing with exceptional CMan results (which I believe do have open rolls), or MStrike with superior results (everything hit has a status modifier [stunned, prone, unconscious, dead, whatever] that you gave it), or....
Re: Custom Combat messaging 03/20/2019 11:52 AM CDT
>>I wouldn't mind seeing extra-special results on a 100 (we don't have open rolls in combat), either an extra effect or an extra flare, or different wording or an extra "wow!" [puts (10? 20?) experience directly in your mind state, like a bounty payout], or...

But as you may (or in our case, you sometimes may not. . . )recall, we DID have just exactly this at one time.

Ahh, let me tell you, the days when the streets of Kelfour's were mud, and we amazed to see the much feared rolton that so haunted our turnip-farms. . .

Doug
Re: Custom Combat messaging 03/20/2019 12:12 PM CDT
I know we had fumbles (based on the weapon profile, which I'd like to see come back, with reduced Fumble Ranges for Superior & Perfect weapons, and as merchant [or possibly Warrior?] services), but I don't ever recall open rolls nor "specials" such as I describe.
Yes, there were open rolls for item breakage, but not for the combat itself. (That I recall. I may be mis-remembering.)
Re: Custom Combat messaging 03/20/2019 12:20 PM CDT
Pretty sure OB was open-ended. Could be wrong, but I don't feel like it this time!

Doug