Is this a color? 10/23/2018 12:32 AM CDT
blurry-grey

I had a merchant state they weren't comfortable with the color blurry-grey. I was able to google the color. It's not a solid grey, some places would be lighter, others darker.

We have mist grey, smoky grey, ash grey, dove grey, muted grey, pallid grey, pale grey, dull grey, waxy grey, dark grey, storm grey, murky grey, dappled grey, steel grey, greenish-grey, matte grey, blue-grey, pearly grey, charcoal grey, stone grey, heather grey, and silvery-grey according to playershops.

Could a NIR please confirm/deny the use of the color blurry-grey?
Re: Is this a color? 10/23/2018 08:23 AM CDT
It's not in our confirmed color guide. Getting a new shade of a color approved for general use is something that goes through QC, and not the same QC as a shop or an item. It's more of a lengthy process.

Wyrom, PM
Is this a color? Part II 10/23/2018 09:11 AM CDT
Out of curiosity I was wondering on this as well. At Ebon gate in The Betterment Boutique you can get the hair color : madder
Is that rose madder? Not sure what color "madder" is unless its the color from madder root but wouldn't that still be missing a word? Red madder, madder lake, something like that?
Re: Is this a color? 10/23/2018 02:36 PM CDT
It's not in our confirmed color guide. Getting a new shade of a color approved for general use is something that goes through QC, and not the same QC as a shop or an item. It's more of a lengthy process.

Wyrom, PM

Any chance of getting that confirmed color guide placed on the wiki for reference?
Re: Is this a color? 10/23/2018 03:24 PM CDT
I would think that you could find many/most of them in the Dyer's Tent article:
https://gswiki.play.net/Dyer%27s_tent
Re: Is this a color? Part II 10/23/2018 03:38 PM CDT
>>Is that rose madder?
"Rose madder" is a commercial/modern designation (for paint color, normally), so it's unlikely we'd ever use that term QC-wise.

>>Not sure what color "madder" is unless its the color from madder root but wouldn't that still be missing a word? Red madder, madder lake, something like that?
Sure, we can say 'red madder' but it's a bit redundant. "Madder lake" -- the "lake" part just has to do with the dye production technique and characteristics (rather than the specific red hue produced from madder root) vs. other production techniques.

When we're talking about the -color- "madder": traditionally (in terms of how madder as a color was referred to during our "target" time period), it's a strong red hue (think crimson/scarlet-esque) with dark purple undertones. Most modern dictionaries just list the color "madder" as 'red' or something similarly generic. When we're instead talking about the hues of dye that the madder plant can produce, then we get into a range of reds, generally with purples and/or yellows in them (which in turn produces some darker hues on one end, oranges on the other).

Anyway, the pavilion now says 'purple-toned crimson' to make clear the exact red hue that was intended.

~Kaikala

Speaking softly to you, Rovvigen says, "Please dont be a stranger."
>
Speaking to Rovvigen, you exclaim, "I am never strange, Rovvigen!"
>
[MYCHAR: XxXxX is thinking to herself, "Please do not get any stranger..."]
Re: Is this a color? Part II 10/23/2018 04:05 PM CDT
"a strong red hue (think crimson/scarlet-esque) with dark purple undertones. Most modern dictionaries just list the color "madder" as 'red' or something similarly generic." -- Kaikala

At one point, my brother & I were discussing "mauve" and looked it up in Dad's (circa 1960's) Webster's dictionary.
It was "a reddish blue-red of medium brilliance and high <something>", which we looked at each other and immediately arrived at spoken consensus of, "Purple."

Then--armed with dictionary as we now were--it occurred to us to look up things like "heliotrope", as in Bertie Wooster's heliotrope pyjamas.
That was "a blueish red-blue of low brilliance and medium <something>", which we looked at each other and immediately arrived at spoken consensus of, "Purple."

Women purport to be able to tell the difference between "sea foam" and "forest moss"... <dismiss>

It's frickin' green.
Re: Is this a color? Part II 10/23/2018 04:37 PM CDT
>>Women purport to be able to tell the difference between "sea foam" and "forest moss"... <dismiss>
>>It's frickin' green.

Hahaha, generally, I think it's more just a 'how do you see color' vs. a gender thing ;) It's very easy to get sucked into color discussions for anyone who's in a creative profession or hobby that deals with color gradations in some way or another.

~Kaikala

Speaking softly to you, Rovvigen says, "Please dont be a stranger."
>
Speaking to Rovvigen, you exclaim, "I am never strange, Rovvigen!"
>
[MYCHAR: XxXxX is thinking to herself, "Please do not get any stranger..."]
Re: Is this a color? Part II 10/23/2018 04:41 PM CDT
Thank you for clarifying! No change was necessary though, I just wanted to know. Plus I kinda hoped it was supposed to be rose madder.. Stephen King fan and all. lol.

Again, thanks for all the info, you know your stuff!
Re: Is this a color? Part II 10/23/2018 04:42 PM CDT
Ok....I learnt something today. :)

- Akanah
Re: Is this a color? Part II 10/23/2018 06:18 PM CDT

I beleive they've found that region matters too. Something about Russians not seeing as many shades of blue comes to mind.
Re: Is this a color? Part II 10/24/2018 09:09 AM CDT
Yeah, but the Russians--like the Innuit--probably have 94 different words for 'snow'. Heh.

Actually, I believe that (most) women do have more (rods? cones? one is the 'color' one) in their eyes, so they actually DO differentiate colors more finely than (most) men do.
It's mostly just the degree to which they try to do so, that offends me. :)
Re: Is this a color? Part II 10/25/2018 08:09 AM CDT
[tongue-in-cheek] Just because your eyes are gimpy doesn't mean you should take out your inferiority on us... [/tic]

--Jen
>Darcena says, "But I cannot give my heart to someone else, when I no longer own it."
>Balley nods, "I hope you will find your heart and heal one day."
>Darcena admits, "I think he ate it."
>Balley's jaw drops, "Really. Men are jerks at times."
Re: Is this a color? Part II 10/25/2018 08:45 AM CDT
Hey, my eyes work JUST fine, thanks.

Like, say, being able to identify "flesh-colored" from across the (crowded!) room, at 'Con, for example... :)
Re: Is this a color? Part II 10/25/2018 09:04 AM CDT
Ignoring Robert (with a smile)...

Is there a reason why we don't have more official documentation on approved nouns, colors, etc. on the Wiki? I understand that the ALTER verb couldn't have done it and that DEFINE has limitations as well, but since we do have the Wiki, I'm curious for the rationale to not (outside of time limitations on the part of the QC team).

--Jen
>Darcena says, "But I cannot give my heart to someone else, when I no longer own it."
Re: Is this a color? Part II 10/25/2018 02:18 PM CDT
It's mostly because it's not formatted in a single document or worded in ways to easily port them, much like a lot of the staff-side documentation. There are also instances where we have a term in one area, but there is some dated terms that some GM approved in 2001 in-game somewhere else that we don't even know of or that would never pass QC today. Part of the struggles of undoing 20+ years of different management styles and making the game more transparent. We mention spaghetti code a lot, but documentation, QC rulings, and official terms are scattered far worse. Finding the time to receiving all the information and compiling it into a format for players is a gigantic project.

Colors, for example, have results in many areas of the game, and they don't cross paths too often. Dye shops, warrior dyes, fletching dyes, unique dyes, scripted dyes, alter color guides, etc all have different places to look.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Is this a color? Part II 10/25/2018 03:17 PM CDT
Thank you for the response.

--Jen