Festival/Quest/Event Charms 12/29/2017 07:47 AM CST
Apologies if this isn't the place for this post. I am forum-challenged.

Long ago, during major festivals, there were charms for charm bracelets you could buy. Some were specific to that festival, some were related to NPCs or various other things. I still have my Spitfire charm. :-D

What are the chances of festivals (even the free ones) and events (Duskruin, Delirium Manor, etc.) having a charm you can buy to commemorate your visit. I realize this is not something EVERYONE would want, but for those who collect these things, it'd be a fun item to be able to buy.

Lady Dirvy Britbane

Matriarch of the Britbane Family
Executrix of House Sovyn
Elder Sentinel Advisor of The Order of the Sphere and Scythe
Chairwoman of I.C.I.C.L.E.
Re: Festival/Quest/Event Charms 12/29/2017 09:41 AM CST

>Long ago, during major festivals, there were charms for charm bracelets you could buy. Some were specific to that festival, some were related to NPCs or various other things.

cool idea to bring it back. I imagine a GM did it long ago then left and no one continued.
Re: Festival/Quest/Event Charms 12/29/2017 10:58 AM CST
Weightless, so they don't affect encumbrance, and you'd find a lot more people interested. We're an OCD bunch here, and folks like collecting "sets" of stuff. :)
Re: Festival/Quest/Event Charms 12/29/2017 03:36 PM CST
House Sylvanfair uses bracelet charms as one option for door prizes at their monthly events. I designed 10 commemorative charms this year and have another 10 planned for 2018. Everyone is welcome to come along and start collecting. :)

>>You slay me woman! ~ Wyrom

https://gswiki.play.net/Rohese_Bayvel-Timsh'l
Re: Festival/Quest/Event Charms 12/29/2017 03:55 PM CST
"monthly events ... 10 commemorative charms this year ... another 10 planned for 2018." -- ChiversT

I do not think this term 'monthly' means what you think it means... :)
Re: Festival/Quest/Event Charms 12/29/2017 11:51 PM CST
Or ... cameos.

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
;tune towncrier

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
TownCrier News Dailies via Email: http://bit.ly/2ivAJfw
Re: Festival/Quest/Event Charms 12/30/2017 04:41 AM CST
<House Sylvanfair uses bracelet charms as one option for door prizes at their monthly events.>

I opted for the gaming case this year at Sylvanfair events, but next year I am planning on getting charms instead. I love these things. I have 3 very old charm bracelets with charms from places I cannot even remember. I know some were from Spitfire back in the 90s, some were from the Jugg. I always looked for charms at these events. And it was fun to collect and trade them with others.

Lady Dirvy Britbane

Matriarch of the Britbane Family
Executrix of House Sovyn
Elder Sentinel Advisor of The Order of the Sphere and Scythe
Chairwoman of I.C.I.C.L.E.
Re: Festival/Quest/Event Charms 12/30/2017 12:47 PM CST
I like this request quite a bit. As one who does not wear (or typically care for) jewelry, I probably would not have thought to look into it on my own, but I can see why they would be popular and fun. Please keep the ideas coming.

GameMaster Necios
Overlord of Icemule Trace
Champion of subject/verb agreement
Honorary BADNAME committee chair

Annanasi says, "The symbol of the Arkati Necios is a cuddly teddy bear on a field of pink."
Re: Festival/Quest/Event Charms 01/03/2018 10:48 AM CST
Elysia probably still has a copy of the script for these (in fact I think she's wearing at least one charm bracelet with a bunch of charms on it) if any GM wants to quiz her on how they were made.
Re: Festival/Quest/Event Charms 01/03/2018 11:21 AM CST

I think they still have track of the bracelet script - I have a mid 90s bracelet and one of Rohese's event charm bracelets and without logging in to check, I think I recall the same verbs produce the same output as what we had in the 90s (open, close, turn). I have not tested to see if a "new" charm will go on my "old" bracelet.

The big difference is weight. Old school charms are heavy, at 1 lb I think. We just didn't quite have the encumbrance issues back then that we do now. My old 90s bracelet with only 10 or so charms on it weighs something like a ridiculous 12 lbs. I haven't tried to ask a GALD merchant to lighten the old charms to the current allowable weight for charms (0 I think, or close to it?), but I would love it if they would do so.

Back in the day, we used to actually make pins for event souvenirs, keyed to the attendee. Sometimes I would also put charms out in my merchant shops that were themed to the event (along with professions/creatures/etc.). I don't know how long either practice continued after I transitioned events to another SGM in 2000.

It would be fun to see more charms! Especially since they appear to be essentially weightless now, and therefore can be more easily worn and enjoyed.
Re: Festival/Quest/Event Charms 01/03/2018 03:07 PM CST
>The big difference is weight. Old school charms are heavy, at 1 lb I think. We just didn't quite have the encumbrance issues back then that we do now. My old 90s bracelet with only 10 or so charms on it weighs something like a ridiculous 12 lbs.

You see Elysia. She has beefy arms.
Re: Festival/Quest/Event Charms 01/03/2018 05:39 PM CST

>You see Elysia. She has beefy arms.

::flex::

Brawniest little elf ever.