Steampunk Ideas 06/03/2017 04:49 PM CDT
(Ok I'm starting another thread, because I've come up with a few more ideas for steampunk items. Going to keep the same format going as the backpack idea I did earlier, just cause I think it's a bit more fun.)

Crammed into the busy public square, a crowd gathers around a makeshift stage with patchwork curtains. Nearby, stalls setup with local shop keepers are vacant as the crowd ignores their pleas for purchases. They are oblivious to the shop keepers cries as they wait anxiously for the curtains to rise. As the crowd begins to murmur in discontent, suddenly as if on cue, flash pots surrounding the stage go off and trumpets blare as the curtain rises, revealing a life size mechanical mithril gnome with a turnkey sticking out of its back. A small gnome dashes forward to quickly wind up the mithril gnome, stepping back cautiously as it rises stiffly.

“Roll up, roll up, roll up!” the mechanical gnome starts in a monotone mechanical voice, “Today I bring you the latest breakthroughs from those you know little about! The little people with big ideas, big hearts, and bigger dreams!”

“Today I bring you things that will make your lives easier and infinitely, maybe just a little bit, better!”

The crowd murmurs eagerly as the mithril gnome pauses while the small skittish gnome hesitantly walks back to the stage, standing next to a table laden with several items.

“Today we, the Consortium Of Gnomes, bring you the Belt Of Super Sorting!” the mechanical gnome exclaims.

As the skittish gnome takes a cog and gear buckled leather belt from the table and fastens it to his patchwork pantaloons, the buckle clicks and springs to life as the excess slack in the belt is quickly drawn up causing the small gnome to grimace and wheeze as it adjusts to his waist.

“Make no mistake about it, this is no ordinary belt! Have you ever found yourself overladen with too much stuff and throwing everything into one mess of a pile that you then spend most of your time going through trying to figure out where it should go? Well through our ingenuity we have developed a way to do the sorting for you! Simply attach up to three of our special pouches for you to the belt, and when you go to put the item in your belt you will find the item put into the appropriate pouch!"

The small gnome gathers three pouches from the table, affixing each of them to the belt with a click. Then he takes an uncut ruby from the table. As he goes to put the ruby into the belt the cog and gear buckle spins into gear and a series of pulleys and wires spin the pouches around his waist and he places the uncut ruby into a glittering gem covered pouch.

The small gnome exhales slightly, relieved that nothing bad happened

“We have devised pouches that should meet your specific requirements, there are ones for gems, skins, magical items, and special ones for locksmiths as well as one for wand users.”

“There are of course a few bugs to work out…If you manage to fill all the containers to maximum capacity, well it might just take your breath away.”

The mechanical gnome nods to the small gnome who gulps and shakily takes another ruby from the table and begins to place it in the belt as it spins into gear, steam escapes the buckle and the wires and pulleys spin the pouches rapidly around trying to find which one is correct and has enough room, each rotation getting tighter! The small gnome collapses gasping for air stunned for a short time until the belt finally gives up relaxing its grip.

The crowd murmurs a mixture of excitement and fear.

The small gnome clamors to his feet gasping for air, a small glint of fear crossing his eyes as he looks at the mechanical gnome.

(I have no idea how hard this would be to code, each pouch would hold about as much as a sack and potentially allowed to be deepend, only problem being that if you try to put something in the belt that doesn't match up with the pouches on there, or if you have no more room in the pouches, you get the breath knocked out of you and stunned. The idea is to have an item that will sort the little stuff so your regular containers like your cloak and backpack can be for big things like boxes)
Re: Steampunk Ideas 06/03/2017 07:21 PM CDT
“Next we have the Goggles Intended To See!” the mechanical gnome exclaims.

The mechanical gnome nods to the skittish gnome, who sighs resignedly and heads over to the table taking some rolaren multi lensed goggles, and as he fastens him to his head you see two massive eyes magnified by the lenses blinking as they become accustomed to them. Turning the goggles, gears and cogs spin on the sides as lenses fall into place.

“If you are near sighted, far sighted, or both, these are the goggles for you! They will supply an enhancive benefit to overall perception! But not only that, if you peer at something while you have them on you will be granted an effect similar to elemental detection!”

The small gnome peers at the mechanical gnome and a small spark shoots out of the sides of the goggles.

“Not only do they do that, no, no, no! If you are of the locksmithing profession you will find these infinitely, I mean mostly useful! Simply squinting at a box will give you traplore!”

The small gnome picks up a box from the table and squint at it. The gears on the side of the goggles whir and the lenses elongate as he squints at the box and he becomes calm and focused.

‘And if you need that little extra something to pick a lock, simply gazing at a box will give you that edge you’ve been looking for with a cast of lock lore!”

Again the small gnome does as instructed and gazes at the box. A small puff of steam emits from the sides of the goggles and they telescope out , a scintillating light shines from the goggles before traveling down to the small gnomes hands.

‘These goggles can be recharged by a wizard, with the enhancive being recharged by your local adventurer’s guild. However, if you exhaust all charges, the Consortium of Gnomes are not held liable for what may happen.”

The mechanical gnome nods to the small gnome who shakes his head. The mechanical gnome nods again at the small gnome adamantly. The small gnome gulps and turns the goggles again. The gears and cogs sputter and whir as steam and sparks spurt from the goggles, the lenses expand and contract waving about madly before finally contracting all the way piercing deep into the small gnomes eye only to contract again as the small gnomes eye are flung from his skull to roll onto the ground leaving small bloody trails.

An empath rushes from off stage to attend to the small gnome.

(So basically goggles that would kinda be useful, mostly for locksmiths, but the overall perception would come in handy for everyone.)
Re: Steampunk Ideas 06/03/2017 07:35 PM CDT
After a short intermission as the crowd recovers from the gruesome spectacle from the spectacles, the mechanical gnome begins again as the small gnome is pushed back on stage again with bloodshot eyes.

“Last but not least today we bring you something I think most of you will find useful!"

The small gnome reluctantly heads back over to the table and picks up a cog-buckled black silk top hat banded with scarlet spidersilk, and places it on his head.

“The Unstunner Hat!” the mechanical gnome exclaims.

To which the crowd peers quizzically as a lone cricket chirps softly in the background.

“Have you ever found yourself stunned? Riveted to the spot, unable to do anything as a critter takes advantage of you, as stars and unicorns prance around your head? Well this little beauty can fix that, at least twice a day!”

Out of the shadows a bottle flies at the small gnome on stage, before he can dodge it hits him squarely in the head! His eyes roll up in his head as he stands there dazed and confused.

The top of the hat opens up as a mechanical gnome appears from within holding a bucket of water which he quickly pours all over the small gnome drenching him to the bone and sending shivers down his spine. “Wake up you ninny!” he screams as he retreats back into the hat.

The small gnome blinks twice and comes to, shivering from the wetness.

(So this would be a 2x a day unstun feature, I didn't think of anything terrible to happen with this one, I figured that poor little gnome had been through enough)