Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 12:41 AM CDT
Seeing this is bringing back some wonderful memories.. when I was a little girl I remember visiting various aunts and uncles with farms and horse ranches in Oklahoma and Kansas, and I remember standing in a field of giant sunflowers taller than me, surrounded by a sky full of fireflies (or lightning bugs as some regions call them!).

Sadly, pollution is killing off these very delicate but amazing creatures and I never see them anymore. I truly miss that experience and wonder where to find them to show future children.

Having this experience in Gemstone was something that made me very happy, and I was delighted at the thought of having one I could always look at... this small thing that would forever bring a smile to my lips... until someone told me even here, they die.. in a game.

So... my request is, can you PLEASE make the fireflies undying? It's a small, simple request... that way they will give pleasure forever rather than a brief amount of pleasure and then a cold kick in the gut reminder of the sad lack of fireflies in the meadow outside my windows...

A humble Hyacinthe
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 02:03 PM CDT
Unfortunately, this isn't something that's in my power to grant, and all of the little glow bugs and butterflies like this eventually die.

However, you might enjoy a little tale that will be told during the festival. Keep an eye out for announcements of the telling of a tale of fireflies and starflies.

~ X.
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 02:07 PM CDT
My starflies have died already, less than 24hrs. Poor little things!
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 02:16 PM CDT
When I was very young, I lived in Kansas and I used to catch fireflies all the time, then keep them in a jar. During one of my very first experiences doing so, upon their death, I was mortified and went to my Grandpa to ask what happened to them. He told me that they had little lightbulbs in their bottoms that made them glow, and that they had not died, but rather the lightbulb went out. (We called them lightning bugs in my region, not fireflies)

I promptly went to the local hardware store the next morning (we lived in a very small town so I walked there without permission as it wasn't far, the result of that is another story however hehe)and asked the clerk to direct me to the lightbulbs. When I could not find one for my lightning bug, I asked if they had any and the clerk told me that fireflies do not have bulbs, but instead had died. I cried, of course, and told the clerk he was a liar as my Grandpa told me otherwise. It was a long time before I caught fireflies again hehe.

~Naionna, who loves fireflies too!

Not really an embassy, per se, but more like a "oh fine, let them sort it out, let's go have a doughnut" sort of deal. - Xynwen, on CHE annexes
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 02:24 PM CDT
You could just let the firefly go before it dies. I did that with my first one.

...the second one I forgot about and it was already dead when I remembered.

Mandy
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 02:26 PM CDT
I feel left out.

I don't have any firefly stories from childhood.

I did hang green lizards from my ears when I was little, though. Ya know, let 'em bite on.

Does that count?

~ X., isn't weird.
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 02:38 PM CDT
>I did hang green lizards from my ears when I was little, though. Ya know, let 'em bite on. - Xynwen

This explains so much. However, I'm not innocent. I ate rollie pollies as decorations for my mud pies when I was a toddler. Yeah, I'm wierd.

~Naionna

Not really an embassy, per se, but more like a "oh fine, let them sort it out, let's go have a doughnut" sort of deal. - Xynwen, on CHE annexes
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 02:40 PM CDT
Naionna - Love your story... very cute

<makes a note that Xayle is very odd>
Xayle - does this mean you'll bring back the shoulder lizards?

Poor fireflies... I'll admire them in the air and not buy any of the tubes or jars.

Hya~
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 02:46 PM CDT
<<Xayle - does this mean you'll bring back the shoulder lizards?

Or ear lizards?

Silverthorne smiles at Guarrin, muttering some Giantman gibberish right back at him.
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 02:48 PM CDT
If you guys don't stop calling me Xynwen, I'm going to cry. Not that Xynwen isn't wonderful...fabulous...and my hero for more than one reason this festival but...

I want to be loved for me!

~ XAYLE, notta Xynwen.
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 02:49 PM CDT
Ear lizards...ear leeeezards...OooOoo...

~ X.
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 03:05 PM CDT
Yep, add a script to the shoulder lizards to make em hang onto your ears and dangle ;p

Naionna... umm... you ATE rollie pollies? I just played with them.

So.. weird points for both of you, is anyone keeping track? Wondering how odd our GM staff is now ;p
You hiring? <whistles innocently>

Hya
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 03:15 PM CDT
Hey Xayle! How about a hint to where we can find your secret stash? I've been through every shop and searched each room. I've also poked almost every thing I've found.

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 03:30 PM CDT
>>Hey Xayle! How about a hint to where we can find your secret stash? I've been through every shop and searched each room. I've also poked almost every thing I've found.

If you've searched every room, you obviously didn't search enough.

The crosseyed cow is disappointed in you.

~ X.
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 03:44 PM CDT
I'm not wondering how many of us on staff once lived in Kansas. Since I once lived there, too.

I've always called them lightning bugs, even though in N.E. they call them fireflies.

I taught my children how to catch them, so come to R.I. and you can watch them in my backyard.

~*~ Thandiwe ~*~
(At this point, I tried to summon the crows, by doing a tribal dance in the barrows and singing "Heerre crowie crowie crowie. Oosh oosh." That didn't work.) -- Coyoterre
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 03:45 PM CDT
I personally don't think Xay-wen actually has a hidden stash. I think he is playing with your OCD-ness about finding stuff.

~drew (who expects a lightning bolt now that he ruined the gag)
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 03:52 PM CDT
>>~drew (who expects a lightning bolt now that he ruined the gag)

No, but you'll get one for calling me a he.

~ X.
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 04:20 PM CDT
<<If you've searched every room, you obviously didn't search enough.>>

Apparently not. I finally found the place, but I'd searched the area twice before and found nothing.

Thanks for the hint, Xayle!

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 04:35 PM CDT
>I want to be loved for me!
~ XAYLE, notta Xynwen.

I love you for you!

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 04:53 PM CDT
I called them lightning bugs, too. I lived in upstate NY. We still have them in our yard there, but they're not as prevalent as they once were.

Since I've moved, I never ever see them. I miss my little lightning bugs. We just have love bugs, which are kinda like lightning bugs, cept instead of a lightbulb in their butt, they've got another bug attached!!

I used to play with millipedes. I'd build houses for them out of sand.

I'm also the expert frog catcher back at camp. We used to catch bullfrogs with our bare hands while being ankle deep in mud. Good times. Good times.

~Jainna
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 05:15 PM CDT
>>(We called them lightning bugs in my region, not fireflies)

heh. we called them lightning bugs growing up. or my brother and i did anyway. everyone else calls them fireflies. but, in all fairness, my parents are from iowa so i suppose that's why.

kitten-bot
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 08:16 PM CDT
>>No, but you'll get one for calling me a he.<<

You have to admit, your name is pretty masculine. Your avatar doesn't help at all, it's very non-girly.

:-p

27 authors on ignore and counting.

Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 08:19 PM CDT
>>You have to admit, your name is pretty masculine. Your avatar doesn't help at all, it's very non-girly.

Thats what got me. It ends with a vowel, so that screams female. But the name starts with an X so that screams male. And the avatar was the Icing. not female-ish enough to go either way, so I went with 'HE'
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/17/2010 08:24 PM CDT
I have have always known them as lightning bugs as well, though I think both names are fantastic, and even enjoy the new title starflies because my best memories of lightning bugs were from when I was a pre-teen, I use to get shipped off to a camp down in Maryland for a week or too and while everyone else would be sitting around the bonfires, I would look out at the woods at the end of the fields and there would be millions twinkling brightly in the trees creating a starlight forest effect. It was breathtaking.

I never had the heart to capture them other with my hands and always hated people who would smear their abdomens on things to make it glow.

Being an entomologist has only furthered my love for them.
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/18/2010 12:33 AM CDT
>>Being an entomologist has only furthered my love for them. <<

You know, when I was a kid I wanted to be an entomologist (during that phase that most kids want to be an astronaut/archaeologist). As I got older, I let that go, because it seemed like the only consistent job placement opportunities an entomologist could get were either teaching, or working in some phase of the extermination process.

I am quite curious what it is you do for a living as. Would you mind sharing?

It's amazing what people will do when they think you can't see them.
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/18/2010 12:44 AM CDT
Did I miss the starfly story? ;_;

Also, I am loving the fest. =D Very different from most the pay events I've been to and in a good way! I've gotten more services that I could have hoped for. Though if you're reading this I really want to meet Palema and maybe someone who would make weaveable baskets with a couple of our own unique weaveables. I remember this being on I think the Wavedancer? And it was great.
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/18/2010 08:44 PM CDT
@LORDKRIP:
Actually right now I am working in plant genetics, which is kind of a switch (though not a total one since I have a lot of experience in plant-insect interactions).

But as far as my experiences in entomology a lot of my work comes from the government (USDA, APHIS, Parks and Recreation), Universities (Summer Research Experiments), Botanical Gardens (Integrated Pest Management), and currently the commercial sector (DUPONT/Pioneer).

I have had a really broad range of projects too some of them including Invasive Species research, West Nile Virus Research, Mosquito Control, Moth Pheromone Genetics, Native Bee Pollination Studies, and Beneficial Insect Trials and Research.

I LOVE IT! I have had so many amazing adventures I could tell some insane stories. My apartment is filled with insects in various forms, my favorite being my insect jewelry collection. And I love the old school entomologist, they all know the worst insect jokes and they wear goofy hats, tall socks with either beat-up hiking boots or sandals and cargo shorts (they are fantastic).

I hope that answers your question, and I will admit sometimes work is scarce, especially during winter months but I imagine it is no worse than any other job.

Player of Sivarus
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/18/2010 10:49 PM CDT
That all sounds really cool. I am glad I was wrong, for your sake at least :-)

>> Invasive Species research<<

Please apply this to the marmorated brown stinkbug. These things are a menace around Maryland. It's getting worse by the year. I hear they're working on some pheramone related 'bag' to attract and catch large quantites of them.

Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/19/2010 10:51 PM CDT
@LORDKRIP:

The Marmorated Brown Stink bug, wow, I was actually at the USDA beneficial insects lab in Delaware when they started to set up that research project and was friends with the scientist leading that project. I haven't talk to them in awhile but I know what you mean, we have currently named our resident brown stick bug 'Harvey' and while I let him out all the time, he is constantly back in the apartment (I am aware that there are probably many Harveys instead of the same one but it makes it easier).

Player of Sivarus
Re: Consider the fire(star)flies 05/20/2010 10:15 AM CDT
>>we have currently named our resident brown stick bug 'Harvey' and while I let him out all the time, he is constantly back in the apartment <<

That's more than a little amusing! I know someone who's named them 'Squashy', since they believed them to be japanese squash beetles (at first). They're constantly asking 'Squashy' how he got back in, and letting him out.