Poison Flares 05/03/2018 11:44 PM CDT
How do the poison flares work? 5-15 damage on a flare seems low, but I assume there's just something I'm missing!

Thank you!
Re: Poison Flares 05/04/2018 08:35 AM CDT
My assumption was that they were a modification of the Ambushing daggers: I figured it was "any weapon you want," but with those low numbers, also "no need for amubush."
(Those inflict a stated of "poisoned!" at X/round, dissipating at 1/round, where "X" == HP damage inflicted when you strike from hiding.
So if you see, " ... 55 points of damage!", you did 55hp damage with the swing, AND it is now poisoned at 55/round, so it will take 55 damage soon; then it will take 54 damage; then it will take 53 [you see where this is going].)

If you can put it on any weapon you want, and not have the requirement of leaping from ambush, "5-15 poison" (that basically happens every swing) is pretty darn good, especially with today's MStrike.

Yes, I realize that people are down on the "damage over time" model--and the gassy poison flares of old, which only happened "as often as a flare happens" are pretty much complete suckage--but something like this would be a good way to change that perception.

(And besides, if they suck so bad... leaves more spots for me to get one of them in line, amiright?!?!)
Re: Poison Flares 05/04/2018 01:42 PM CDT
This scripted flare is actually older than the poison ambushers. It will dissipate between 1 and 3 points per rounds, so it's an attrition killing tool.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Poison Flares 05/04/2018 01:45 PM CDT
1) Effective on EVERY swing--as the ambushers do, assuming you strike from, you know... ambush--including straight melee, or the same crap-shoot as normal elemental flares?

2) Any chance of getting an ambusher in there? I'm still looking to make my pair.... <cough>
Re: Poison Flares 05/04/2018 01:58 PM CDT
>>1) Effective on EVERY swing--as the ambushers do, assuming you strike from, you know... ambush--including straight melee, or the same crap-shoot as normal elemental flares?

No, random chance.

>>2) Any chance of getting an ambusher in there? I'm still looking to make my pair.... <cough>

Not for this.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Poison Flares 05/04/2018 03:12 PM CDT
Given that elemental flares can get up into the 70-range and include chance of instant "disable or kill"...

Wyrom, i) random chance of ii) only 5-15 dissipating at 1-3 [presumably these are blocks of 5-at-1] iii) damage-over-time has its three strikes and is working hard to get ejected from the park.

Now, if they were "five to fifteen [of my notional blocks of 5-at-1]", then we might have something.
(That would be a "possible" range of "25-dissipating-at-5" [total 70 damage] up to "75-dissipating-at-15" [net 225 damage].)

Still not stellar--because of that whole "random chance of a flare" issue--but not something to sneeze at, either.

Unless there are additional details of this ancient script that make it more attractive? Like maybe it works on "percent of base HP"?
(15+12+9+6+3 == 45% of total HP lost, on a maxxed flare, after a total of 6 rounds [including the initial strike])
Re: Poison Flares 05/13/2018 08:05 AM CDT
Wyrom - is there any chance of balance team or the GM who own's the script to look into this flare? I was really excited to win the spin on this as it was my only win and put it on my weapon. Unfortunately, its utterly and completely underwhelming...the dmg is pitiful, it takes forever to do anything and the critters are usually dead by then.

Especially since its a random chance flare, it's just as likely to flare right before they die as they do before... It doesn't even compare to a normal common flare in damage and ability. And while this didn't affect my weapon as much, I believe this also takes up a flare slot and a script slot and prevents enchanting and blessing...that's a whole lotta negatives for no positives.

I'm extremely disappointed at the 10m it took to put this on, and the theoretical 5m surcharge if I won a second service. If I knew this flare worked like this, I would've passed (which apparently many other people did without me realizing).
Re: Poison Flares 05/13/2018 08:21 AM CDT
"Given that elemental flares can get up into the 70-range and include chance of instant "disable or kill"...

Wyrom, i) random chance of ii) only 5-15 dissipating at 1-3 [presumably these are blocks of 5-at-1] iii) damage-over-time has its three strikes and is working hard to get ejected from the park." -- Me, #297

Sadly, Darconas, it looks like what got delivered came down to nearly exactly as underwhelming as the early projections said it was, from Wyrom's description.

(I would have done it on my weapon had I won the spin, simply for thematic reasons--I already have one of the standard poison gas flares on a gladius, and an Ambushing dagger--but I was not exactly seeking it out with malice aforethought.)
Re: Poison Flares 05/13/2018 08:41 AM CDT

I paid 17.5 for my snake flares. I got a snake which is awesome but damage isn't great.
Re: Poison Flares 05/13/2018 09:17 AM CDT
Snake flares need the same sort of love that greater elemental flares got.

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from the hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took.
Re: Poison Flares 05/13/2018 11:38 AM CDT
Definitely agree that the poison and snake flares could use some updating. They take the script and flare spots, dont work on creatures like elementals or undead and only have average damage at best (as already mentioned, poison flares are extremely underwhelming)

If they cant be moved to script only I think an increased flare frequency, damage and/or poison DOT speed would help. Maybe also allowing both flares to trigger from WAVE or POINT in addition to the normal flare chance would be nice, with a reasonable cooldown of course.
Re: Poison Flares 07/09/2018 09:54 AM CDT
Wyrom, were the poison flares just raffled from Premie Fest the same as the poison flares from this CCF? It looks like the new poison flares got upgraded and improved. Any chance the CCF ones can also be changed - as it stands now they're quite horrible whereas the new ones look actually good.
Re: Poison Flares 07/09/2018 10:57 AM CDT
Details on these new, actually good, poison flares? I've still got one of the 'swirling gas' ones from of old, and it continues to sit in a locker....
Re: Poison Flares 07/09/2018 10:59 AM CDT
<It looks like the new poison flares got upgraded and improved.>

If this is true, I'm a bit bummed. I din't bother buying tickets for them because of how underwhelming others had said they were and hadn't seen anything about changes being made to them...

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Poison Flares 05/24/2022 01:09 PM CDT
Nenmoonia (or Wyrom), any further information on these "improved" poison flares?