Kyncera Welcomes You To The Flotilla! 09/25/2021 01:55 PM CDT
The Pirate Queen Kyncera welcomes one and all to the great piratical flotilla (that is, if you can find it!).

For its history, you can read more here: https://gswiki.play.net/Flotilla_History

What's the Flotilla?
The flotilla is a gathering of ships and sailors, pirates and privateers, miscreants and maladjusteds, and they are now allowing you onto their little home so you can see it. There's a bar, a brawling ship, some healing available, even an outpost of the Kraken's Fall bank if you need some money! Come on by, fish for awhile, pawn your stuff, and enjoy all the Pirate Queen and the Jetsam Court have to offer.

Finding the Flotilla
You'll have to sail around and look for the flotilla, and once you find it, dock there to enjoy it. It will slowly move around all the open seas, but right now, immediately after this announcement, you may want to try looking around the general area of the Wastes.

Development History:
A behind the scenes look for any who care!

Last year, I was a newly returned GM and one of my trainee buddies was GM Sook. Sook wound up on Retser's team and got caught up in the idea of an OSA-related flotilla they'd been bandying about. Being the good friend that I am, I set about feature-creeping his project (er, I mean, helping him brainstorm). Then I feature-creeped myself by getting ideas for a history of it! So I volunteered to help.

Fast forward a bit -- Sook's RL got insanely busy and he had to step down. Several other things also delayed anyone from taking up the flotilla reins. In early spring, I tried to pull together all our brainstorming and thoughts and ideas so Retser and crew could do what they want with it, but then I wound up so enamoured with it all, that I volunteered to paint it and keep up with the organizing and parceling out tasks and such.

The first to jump in was Kynlee. She got the idea for the flotilla's permanent bar, the Drunken Moose, and ran with it. Then she asked if we could have a permanent fighting ship, and I mean, who doesn't want brawling on a pirate-run flotilla? Hence, the Flying Squirrel. She then volunteered to take on the healer's and cleric's boat, to which I happily agreed. We were having fun, knocking bits and pieces off and getting it closer to finished at least from the bare bones perspective!

I got down to seriously painting about the same time, and had some fun outside the entrances to her two areas. And then...

And then...

On the day I put the final touches on the flotilla's painting, I was typing a message to Kynlee in Discord, telling her to go check out the room outside the Flying Squirrel. I thought she'd get a kick out of what I'd just painted. I hadn't finished typing it all out when my DMs went crazy. I flipped over to read the messages, and it was from another GM about how awful "that email was" and how "they couldn't believe it." I knew something bad had happened, so I delayed hitting "SEND" to Kynlee again while I flipped into my emails to see what was up.

Sigh. And then. It was Wyrom, emailing us to let us know that Kynlee had died. I didn't know her well; this was the first thing we'd really worked on together, so we'd mostly just babbled some in DMs briefly, but I'd really, REALLY liked what I got to know. It was a gut punch. Especially since I was literally thinking of her and typing to her as the news came in.

Well, life goes on, as any good pirate queen will tell you. We scrapped the original name of the pirate queen and I changed it to Kyncera to honour her.

To us, the flotilla is for her as it was one of the last things she worked on.

Flotilla Credits
* Conceptual Ideas = Sook, Retser, Thandiwe, Naos, Modrian, Xynwen (if I missed someone, I apologize!)
* Retser = all OSA-related coding (and permissions to let us go crazy)
* The Flying Squirrel = Kynlee
* The Drunken Moose = Kynlee
* The Jolly Chimera = Kynlee named it, Xynwen painted it, and Modrian did the healer/cleric NPCs
* All other painting thus far = Xynwen
* The Pirate Queen Kyncera = coded by Modrian with additional messaging by Xynwen

Coming RSN
These are future expansion planned. No ETA but hopefully sooner rather than later. Revel in the majesty of what you have for now!

* The Jetsam Court (expanded permanent area of the flotilla)
* Kyncera's ship (expanded permanent area of the flotilla)
* Shopping! (Randomized ships will drop by with wares at some point)

--Xynwen--
World Team, MHO GM
>Emails for MHO business should go to GS4-MHO@PLAY.NET
"My real name is Mephistopheles, but you can call me baby"

This message was originally posted in World Events: Festivals, Sagas, and Storylines, Open Sea Adventures. To discuss the above, follow the link below.

http://forums.play.net/forums/19/321/3409/view/169