Tongue in Cheek (sort of) Impression of how tackling is affected by the new mechanics... 01/02/2022 01:34 PM CST
I play female elven claid using warriors. It's what I do. It's all I do. And I use kroderine soul. I've played many many of them over the years. So I've enountered the same monsters over and over and over again. This, then, is my impression of how critters tackling me now as opposed to how they tackled me before (in case that wasn't clear let me say that prior to the change if I had at least one cman rank in tackle I could avoid most tackle attempts by like level critters. Now they flatten me at least 66% of the time and I have three ranks of cman tackle under my belt. This, then, is my impression of how my poor elf girls feel now that they have somehow managed to become uber bumbling. Oh well. Adapt and move on.) Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_PrZ-J7D3k

Just a light hearted perspective.
Re: Tongue in Cheek (sort of) Impression of how tackling is affected by the new mechanics... 01/05/2022 11:07 AM CST
I'm not trying to make light of your issues, but have you considered mastering tackle with the warrior guild, to have essentially 6 ranks of tackle? I find it to be a pretty big difference from 3 ranks, as far as my ability to not be severely tackled by like-level critters. Although I haven't really done any number crunching since PSM3, it anecdotally feels about the same to me, granted I have the skills and stats of a highly post-capped warrior, so I may not be the best anecdotal example.
Re: Tongue in Cheek (sort of) Impression of how tackling is affected by the new mechanics... 01/06/2022 06:40 AM CST
3 ranks now gives +8, mastery +25. It used to be +15 per rank under CML.

A 66% chance to be tackled isn't going to be fixed by mastering tackle but I'd have thought a warrior would do better than that. Someone with just one rank ought to be doing better now than they did under CML, because the baseline went up.
Re: Tongue in Cheek (sort of) Impression of how tackling is affected by the new mechanics... 01/06/2022 09:22 AM CST
To be clear let me give as much info as I can on the kind of character I'm playing as well as the circumstances pertaining to when I was gathering the stats.

Female (I know gender has no influence in this) Elf Warrior.
Using max lightened +34 claid with void flares and fire troll bane.
In augmented chain that is +20 and has air flares.
Using 3 ranks out of 5 in armor support.
3 ranks of CMAN tackle out of 5 possible.
97 AGL stat.
2x Dodging.
Unencumbered.
In defensive stance when being tackled.
Level 21 vs. level 20 Ogre Warrior in area outside Ta'Vaalor.

When being tackled there is the notice that because of my size difference I am severely impacted negatively on the tackle roll (this to me is very odd as I've never been under the impression in real life that huge vs a smaller person makes all that much difference in the bigger person being more agile than the smaller one. To the contrary in fact).

There is a combination of indoor and outdoor game rooms when being tackled.
All instances of tackle were during daylight hours.
3 ranks of 5 Cman WSPEC in claid.
Also, while in defensive stance, Ogre cannot hit me at all now in normal weapon attacks as their AS is too low compared to my total defense.

On the issue of Matering Tackle in Warrior Guild. I should state, first off, that I play in Plat and I can only play during the day. This hampers learning guild skills considerably when trying to learn skills that need the help of other guild members (the players in Plat are awesome and would willingly help if they were around but Plat has very low numbers compared to Prime and Day vs Night doesn't help either).

It is also interesting to me that, despite how easily I am being tackled, once they have my character prone they seem to have an incredibly hard time hitting her despite the fact that the tackling often produces multiple rounds of stun.

All that being said I would like to reiterate that I just find this all very odd as it were and not something that seriously hampers my play. Hence my attempt at comedy by showing a scene from the Austin Powers movies wherein, incredibly, a worker can't seem to get out of the way of an oncoming steam roller 20 ft away moving at one mile per hour but instead just stands there screaming until he is eventually (sadly) run over.
Re: Tongue in Cheek (sort of) Impression of how tackling is affected by the new mechanics... 01/06/2022 09:33 AM CST
Occured to me that I should also point out that I'm not, in any way, trying to dis or make life difficult for the GM(s) involved in giving us the new combat system. There are various things I find quite enjoyable to use - especially Overpower. Overpower is awesome in the hands of a claid user. It's also great that Kroderine Soul was kept as being available to at level 1. Very useful for a two handed weapon user with no shield to block those pesky bolt spells. Love it. I'm sure, as I progress along with my current character, that I'll find other cool things for her to use. Thank you.
Re: Tongue in Cheek (sort of) Impression of how tackling is affected by the new mechanics... 01/06/2022 01:06 PM CST
<On the issue of Matering Tackle in Warrior Guild. I should state, first off, that I play in Plat and I can only play during the day. This hampers learning guild skills considerably when trying to learn skills that need the help of other guild members (the players in Plat are awesome and would willingly help if they were around but Plat has very low numbers compared to Prime and Day vs Night doesn't help either).>

Population numbers aside, harassing people to help with guild skills gets old fast.... and the combat guild skills never feel like you're making any progress.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Tongue in Cheek (sort of) Impression of how tackling is affected by the new mechanics... 01/06/2022 05:24 PM CST

When being tackled there is the notice that because of my size difference I am severely impacted negatively on the tackle roll (this to me is very odd as I've never been under the impression in real life that huge vs a smaller person makes all that much difference in the bigger person being more agile than the smaller one. To the contrary in fact).
-BYZANTINE

A lot of experience with this and yeah size matters unless you catch them by surprise when attempting to bring down someone much larger than you who sees you coming is more difficult. Mass matters and adding strength and other factors onto that just compound the problem.

As to you defending against it, I always found that once much larger folks get their hands on me I was in trouble, once their mass and weight came into play. For a tackle, I'm not sure you should be penalized for avoiding. That said I'm sure it's a compound situation where they're abstracting a few factors into making one end result penalty factor.

I feel ya though, my old GEnie warrior was/is an elf and there have always been a of penalties built into the system that always impacted him in more ways than a highman/giantman warrior.
Re: Tongue in Cheek (sort of) Impression of how tackling is affected by the new mechanics... 01/07/2022 05:41 AM CST
>When being tackled there is the notice that because of my size difference I am severely impacted negatively on the tackle roll (this to me is very odd as I've never been under the impression in real life that huge vs a smaller person makes all that much difference in the bigger person being more agile than the smaller one. To the contrary in fact).

This applies to how badly you get affected by a tackle rather than whether the tackle succeeds. i.e an endroll of 160 when you are being taken down by an ogre warrior hurts you quite a lot more than the ogre would suffer if you tackled it with a 160 endroll. (It used to affect how easily you got tackled under CML but that changed with SMR)

>It is also interesting to me that, despite how easily I am being tackled, once they have my character prone they seem to have an incredibly hard time hitting her despite the fact that the tackling often produces multiple rounds of stun.

Prone and stun do relatively little to your DS. Its quite easy to more than compensate by wearing a few spells. However if they had a damaging maneuver, you would be squished in no time. Also if they could hit with a swing after tackling, it would be rather more likely to hit your head than normal.

I prefer knockdowns that don't stun a lot of the time, because the critter is often easier to hit after it stands up in offensive stance than when it was prone, stunned and turtled.

>In augmented chain that is +20 and has air flares.

You haven't happened to put on a helm? Thats a common cause of armor penalties that people find hard to track down.
Re: Tongue in Cheek (sort of) Impression of how tackling is affected by the new mechanics... 01/07/2022 10:09 AM CST
Thanks for the info on that! It's good to have a polite answer to things that are simple to understand. Thanks!

As an aside because it is certainly timely...this is one of the main reasons that the forums should never ever go away. If I asked a question like that on Discord either I'd get inundated by answers from whoever happened to be around (at best) or, more likely, some troll would make a snide remark impugning my intelligence. Discord also has the weakness that your question gets lost in the mass of scroll that happens continuosly and, in all likelyhood, will never get answered. Discord is also in the hands of a few people who are there constantly and resent posts by people they regard as being little more than interlopers on "their" territory. Not a good thing.