newbie training question 12/19/2020 08:35 AM CST
Hi, just had a dumb question... if one decides to use a two-handed weapon, either edge or blunt, does one also need to train in OHE or OHB? AND, you established warriors, which do you prefer

one other thing... I was told I didn't have to train in OHE to use a two-handed great sword, so when I removed my training in OHE, I lost 2 AS points... is this normal?

I just want to make sure if I need OHE or OHB for two handed...

Thank You
Re: newbie training question 12/19/2020 08:48 AM CST
>> Hi, just had a dumb question... if one decides to use a two-handed weapon, either edge or blunt, does one also need to train in OHE or OHB? AND, you established warriors, which do you prefer

You do not need to train OHB or OHE to use a two-handed weapon in both hands.

There are some weapons that can be used one or two-handed (e.g. bastard swords). For those you would need the appropriate training for how you are going to use them. You can use the GRIP verb to determine how you are holding these weapons and if the weapon can be used both ways or not.

The katana is an exception to the above. You can use a katana with both hands with only two-handed weapon training. To use a katana as OHE you need to train in both OHE AND two-handed weapon training.

No idea on the 2 AS point loss.

-- Robert

>> [You have failed your current Adventurer's Guild task.]
Re: newbie training question 12/19/2020 08:55 AM CST
>> AND, you established warriors, which do you prefer

I have two warriors currently, and one retired.
- Dwarven warrior with a greataxe.
- Elven warrior with dual broadswords.
- Halk-Krol warrior with OHE and shield (retired).

Shield warriors are AMAZINGLY resilient, even with no outside spells or assistance. I had a lot of fun with this character but retired them at level 40-something due to a character death (this was a hardcore character).

My other two warriors are also a lot of fun to play. I think I currently favor the dual blades over the larger THW slightly but both are very similar and fun to play. I actually enjoy playing the dwarf with the greataxe slightly more for RP reasons.

Short answer: All of these play styles are viable and fun. You really can't go wrong with any of these choices.

-- Robert

>> [You have failed your current Adventurer's Guild task.]
Re: newbie training question 12/19/2020 09:36 AM CST
<AND, you established warriors, which do you prefer>

Robert answered the other questions well, but I'll answer this one.

I know others prefer THW, but I love my morning star and tower shield. Not much can inflict more then a scratch unless it uses CS spells and it gives me more options for maneuvers.

That said, I'm not a fan of berserk and never use it... I just don't like giving up control of my character. If I did play in a manner that took advantage of that ability I'd prolly want a maul cause they hit harder.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: newbie training question 12/19/2020 01:10 PM CST
>one other thing... I was told I didn't have to train in OHE to use a two-handed great sword, so when I removed my training in OHE, I lost 2 AS points... is this normal?

The GMs recently enabled the ability to boost AS with secondary and tertiary weapon skill ranks from Martial Mastery - this is a passive boost to AS. Every 8 ranks in a secondary and every 8 ranks in a tertiary weapon skill you earn +1 AS in your primary weapon type.

Primary means weapon class with highest weapon skill ranks.
Secondary means weapon class with second highest weapon skill ranks.
Tertiary means weapon class with third highest weapon skill ranks.

Let's say you're level 10.
You're 2x trained in THW (that's 22 ranks you have, 2 ranks each level since level 0)
AND
You're 2x trained in OHE (that's 22 ranks you have, 2 ranks each level since level 0)

If you're out swinging a THW - that would be considered your primary weapon because you are wielding a THW.
Your secondary weapon skill ranks from OHE would net you +2 AS [truncate(22/8) = 2]

If you untrained all those ranks of OHE, that's why you would notice a small drop in AS.

Here was the original post about it: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Combat,%20Magic,%20and%20Character%20Mechanics/Announcements/view/83
Re: newbie training question 12/19/2020 05:27 PM CST
One correction: at level 10, you should be trained in 24 ranks of your weapons.