Padding 05/26/2020 11:58 AM CDT
With redux and wearing plate is it still recommended to get crit over damage padding?
Re: Padding 05/26/2020 01:47 PM CDT
<With redux and wearing plate is it still recommended to get crit over damage padding?>

IMO, crit padding on plate isn't worth the cost unless you're hunting things that can hit you with a massive endroll or you've run out of other things to spend your silver/BS/etc on.

The only times my warrior gets more higher then a rank 1 wound are a result of wound stacking or being hit by 708/701... neither of which would be affected by padding. On the other hand, my HP can get nicked down pretty fast if I'm not careful or am unlucky so I'll likely be getting my plate damage padded as soon as I remember it needs it while that guy's around.

Capped hunting is a different beast then regular hunting though, so there are likely some that will disagree.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Padding 05/26/2020 04:43 PM CDT
>> With redux and wearing plate is it still recommended to get crit over damage padding?

I would look at it this way. When you die, how are you dying? Are you dying as a result of a crit which instantly kills you or are you dying as a result of having your health steadily knocked down below zero?

If you are getting crit killed routinely then crit padding might help reduce this method of dying. If you are losing health down below zero, then damage padding might help reduce this method of dying. For each scenario, there may be other options to address as well.

When my characters die, it is generally infrequent (due to how I tend to train, hunt, and play my characters) and generally the result of some sort of critical, instant kill result (or a critical result that stuns me for so many rounds that I die before I can recover). Crit padding will reduce the severity of crits so that 1) I don't instantly die and 2) I don't spend as many rounds stunned, so I don't die before I can recover.

For option 2) you could argue that damage padding would allow me to survive longer duration stuns but I'd still opt for the shorter duration stun (with HCP) vs. being able to potentially survive stunned longer (with HDP).

It is extremely rare for one of my characters to die as a result of 'a thousand cuts' so to speak. Part of this is play style, part of this I definitely attribute to wearing HCP armor.

-- Robert

>> A halfling magistrate picks up a small rock and throws it at a half-elven bandit in a valiant effort to subdue him.
Re: Padding 05/26/2020 05:52 PM CDT

Im have never had redux or worn full plate so just wondering if crit padding is still required or is damage padding worth it...granted I have a long time till i wear plate but I dont envision myself having a lot of chances to get padding so i better make the right choice the first time.
Re: Padding 05/26/2020 06:06 PM CDT
>> Im have never had redux or worn full plate so just wondering if crit padding is still required or is damage padding worth it...

I don't think either is required. And I don't think there is one right answer to your question. Different folks will have different opinions and I think that part of that is colored by their play style and personal experience.

The older rule of thumb was that you should Crit Pad lighter armors and Damage Pad heavier armors. For all of my characters, plate wearing or otherwise, I feel that HCP is their end game armor goal. Anything I add on top of that will come after the 'base' HCP has been added.

Hopefully additional folks will chime in with some different perspectives to help you come to a decision for yourself.

-- Robert

>> A halfling magistrate picks up a small rock and throws it at a half-elven bandit in a valiant effort to subdue him.
Re: Padding 05/26/2020 08:04 PM CDT
Pre-cap I reckon damage is attractive, but capped critters have too many cheap death actions that require crit padding or resistance to defend against for me to use damage padding at cap. I actually avoid padding altogether to keep my fitting resistance high.
Re: Padding 05/26/2020 09:08 PM CDT

you cant have padding and resistance on the same item?
Re: Padding 05/27/2020 05:12 AM CDT
>you cant have padding and resistance on the same item?

You can, but if you use fittings, they interfere massively with one another.
Re: Padding 05/27/2020 08:31 AM CDT
>>I actually avoid padding altogether to keep my fitting resistance high.

>>You can, but if you use fittings, they interfere massively with one another.

I want to clarify something. Are you saying that armor padding and warrior fittings interfere with each other?

https://gswiki.play.net/Specialized_armor_fitting would seem to indicate otherwise.

Avaia, player of
Re: Padding 05/27/2020 09:08 AM CDT
The recent(+) changes to padding made me look at armor accessories a lot more, and the mechanics of how armor works.
Many of them show up on pawnshop armor tables with padding of one sort or another; some times of fairly good amounts.
Some times there are items that are permanently padded of one kind, and temporarily padded of the other to an even higher level.
Since armors can now have BOTH crit & damage padding, if your base suit of armor has both then the accessorized location gets FULL benefit of what's worn on it, either the suit of armor itself or the accessory.
And armors that already give head-to-toe coverage receive NO additional penalties for wearing accessories, other than the weight load.
(Since both types are on the base armor, everything falls into the 'similar + similar'/most favorable category: https://gswiki.play.net/Padding#Interactions )

So... things like "a Monk in robes [by definition head-to-toe coverage]" (which have both crit & damage padding)... can wear arm/leg greaves, an aventail, and a helm. Padding on any given body part uses the higher coverage.

Or wearing AsG20/full plate mist ring (so "-75 pounds encumbrance FTW!")... with a full set of arm/leg greaves & aventail & helm.

Get good padding on all of them as you find it.

Better yet, get good Enhancives on all of them.
They're armor: they will NOT crumble.

If it's head/neck/eye crits that are doing you in, find an aventail or helm with very high crit padding, and wear it with your suit of robes / double leather / brigandine / hauberk / full plate which has all of CER 1 (each!) of crit & damage padding.

(+) Recorded on a scale of KrakiiTimeā„¢, something just released less than three years ago is 'recent'.
Re: Padding 05/27/2020 10:54 AM CDT

So if i understand this correctly, armor can now have both crit and damage padding. To make the best use of this, if i am wearing full plate (head to toe coverage) I should find additional armor (greaves,leggings,helm) that also has crit or damage padding?
Re: Padding 05/27/2020 11:24 AM CDT
Specifically, "HIGHER" padding. 1CER on the base armor is what lets you benefit from any higher, but that really is very minimal.

But if you find a helm or aventail with "heavy", wearing it with that armor would give you "heavy" [9-11 CER, I believe] on the head, neck, and both eyes.

And then should that item happen to also have some Enhancive benefit for you, well then you're ahead by that much.

I've been spending several months reading through enhancive accessories on PlayerShops, just to see if there's something interesting. :)

I don't really recommend this for anything OTHER THAN head-to-toe coverage, because then you can lighten just that armor and offset much of the encumbrance of the accessories.
Re: Padding 05/27/2020 01:25 PM CDT
I don't quite understand exactly how accessories work (don't wear them unless they are enhancive), but I think if they have duplicate/contrasting abilities with your base armor, sometimes the benefits of both get halved. Someone who knows this topic better can clarify/correct my explanation. I would just say find some base plate that has the specs you want and forget about the accessories if you are wearing full plate.

My plate on my warrior is both crit (MCP 20 CER) and damage (VHDP 13 CER), and highly impact resistant. I usually don't die from regular attacks, but from weird spells/maneuvers (void spells from grimswarm, stone fist/hand thing, itchy curse/snake weapon thing during berserk, and a few other maneuvers/CS based spells).

Just find some good plate you are happy with and go from there. That 5x 5 CER CP stuff from DR isn't a bad start. Otherwise some of that 6x HCW weighted stuff pops up occasionally.
Re: Padding 05/27/2020 01:53 PM CDT
I actually just posted the link to how they interact... :)
Re: Padding 05/27/2020 04:49 PM CDT

>I want to clarify something. Are you saying that armor padding and warrior fittings interfere with each other?

>https://gswiki.play.net/Specialized_armor_fitting would seem to indicate otherwise.

Its incomplete. The reason you have to have higher level fittings as you add padding is that the resistance gets knocked down by the padding.

As it says in game, "If the armor is padded, there is a penalty of -5 per ASSESS level to a maximum penalty of -40."