THW warriors 05/22/2020 07:20 PM CDT
Sorry if this question is redundant but even after the reading through the guides on the wiki I am wondering if THW warriors are long term viable long term without having to rely on spells? Currently play a THW empath since I really enjoy swinging big weapons and am pretty decent at hunting same level and do not need a single spell from other classes but I am wondering if i would be better playing a warrior since thats how my empath is trained.

Also I currently use a claid but have heard that a maul might be a better choice as a THW due to some recent changes, any thoughts?
Re: THW warriors 05/22/2020 07:41 PM CDT
>> Sorry if this question is redundant but even after the reading through the guides on the wiki I am wondering if THW warriors are long term viable long term without having to rely on spells?

My THW warrior is only in his 40s so far so I don't have personal experience through to cap with this build. That said, I know of a few warriors that made it to cap and seemed to do very well as THW warriors so seems very viable. At least two of them hunted the rift at cap which is pretty much self spelled. I can't speak to their spell usage along the way. For my THW warrior, he typically only hunts with wizard spells and does quite well. On the occasions where I don't use wizard spells it is still doable but I have to be a bit more careful.

>> Currently play a THW empath since I really enjoy swinging big weapons and am pretty decent at hunting same level and do not need a single spell from other classes but I am wondering if i would be better playing a warrior since thats how my empath is trained.

I think either path is viable - they will play / train a bit differently as with the empath you will still be using spells for some of your defense where a warrior will be training more physical skills for defense. Also you will be trading some spells as an empath for CMANs as a warrior. Again, either path seems completely playable from my perspective.

>> Also I currently use a claid but have heard that a maul might be a better choice as a THW due to some recent changes, any thoughts?

The warrior THW advice that was given to me and that I pass along is that a maul is a great choice if you are aiming your attacks (at the head). Greataxe (my personal choice for my dwarven warrior) is a good choice if you aren't aiming your THW attacks.

A lot of people like claidhs early on - I'm not sure that I see that many people using them later in life (happy to have people chime in and correct me on this). For me, I want the higher AS that you typically can't get out of a claid at higher levels (unless you have lots of $$$ to throw around on one of the very high end ones).

I'm sure there are some folks out there that can give you some better insights into your questions than I can but thought I'd toss my two silvers worth out there as well.

-- Robert

>> A halfling magistrate picks up a small rock and throws it at a half-elven bandit in a valiant effort to subdue him.
Re: THW warriors 05/22/2020 07:42 PM CDT
Once you get a warrior into plate, there isn't much they can't shrug off. Because of this, pretty much any fighting style is a good one for them... just make sure you keep plenty of herbs on you to keep all the scratches from turning into bleeders.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: THW warriors 05/22/2020 07:54 PM CDT

Thanks for the info, its much appreciated. I have a +8 claid and AS right now isnt an issue but man even with my self spells my DS is pitiful, currently wearing 4x brig. With trolls blood i can survive a bit more of a beating then other pures but CMANS are a weakness.

I dont really use spells except 117/spirit strike other then that mana and stamina are used for sigils. I love the idea of wearing plate and swinging a big sword with multistrike and berserking but would hate to require spells from other classes to make it to cap. If more experienced warriors could shed some light on this I would be appreciated.
Re: THW warriors 05/23/2020 12:57 AM CDT
This is kind of a super long term thought, but something worth taking into consideration: Once you are considerably post-cap, you can also give yourself all of the minor spirit and minor elemental spells. My warrior finally finished learning them all, and he's relatively invincible at this point. Takes a while, but a THW warrior can be an absolute beast, all the way to post-cap. Does it help to have some more outside spells? Yes. Is it possible to do without them. Yes, it's just more painful, haha.
Re: THW warriors 05/23/2020 01:20 AM CDT
>I dont really use spells except 117/spirit strike other then that mana and stamina are used for sigils. I love the idea of wearing plate and swinging a big sword with multistrike and berserking but would hate to require spells from other classes to make it to cap. If more experienced warriors could shed some light on this I would be appreciated.

You don't require them, but doing without them completely rather than only on occasions when they aren't readily available will eventually become a serious handicap. Just when it becomes a serious handicap will depend on how tactically savvy you are, but I really wouldn't want to be without items and scrolls past level 60.
Re: THW warriors 05/23/2020 05:26 PM CDT

so the general consensus is that while possible to be self reliant as a THW warrior is painful as hell past 60 but is doable with the right tactics and picking the right enemies?

I have never made it to the rift but its my understand that you cant even use other spells unless properly trained in magic items/scroll reading etc?

I dont mind a long/painful road to some degree but i think my fighting/playing style is just to swing a huge fricken sword, take some hits and shrug them off.

If my plan was to be able to eventually participate in REIM would voln be the better society? I have always leaned towards sunfist for the crit padding.

Thanks again for the insight
Re: THW warriors 05/23/2020 08:21 PM CDT
You probably lean towards Sunfist from a standpoint of not being a Warrior. :) Remember that their goal is to be in heavy armor--which lends itself to not getting all that wounded all that quickly--and then getting damage reduction on top (which makes wounds even less likely).
The difficulty lies in groups (being able to add another small wound to an existing area) and vulnerabilities to spells.

I have never played in Voln, but the obvious strength is that it opens up the entire world of undead to you... and Reim has nothing that is NOT undead.

I'm of the opinion that the purely weapon professions have a bit of a hard road earlier on (they are NOT yet in heavy armor, and have no substantial reduction to help... whereas the Semis are dishing out spells as well as being double-trained in the same weapons) but that mass spells or some Scroll/Item use skill ranks help out a LOT.
Re: THW warriors 05/24/2020 02:49 AM CDT
>I have never made it to the rift but its my understand that you cant even use other spells unless properly trained in magic items/scroll reading etc?

For the Rift you can wear anything you are capable of learning, whether or not you have actually trained it. You will want to wear quite a lot of the MnE and MnS spells. My partner used imbeds to get 120 as well as the readily available ones which were enough for me.

Spellburst areas (most of the other capped and near-capped hunting grounds) require magic training to avoid having outside spells burst. Its not just MIU and AS that count for the training, but they are the obvious ones to train. I find Nelemar huntable with the same spells as the Rift, but you can add a few more if you train enough (and be stuck with less than I'd be comfortable with if you don't train enough)

>If my plan was to be able to eventually participate in REIM would voln be the better society? I have always leaned towards sunfist for the crit padding.

Its pretty hard to get enough favor in a place where you can learn without REIM once you are past soul golems (63). If you are in Voln you will want to visit Reim from time to time. If you intend to visit Reim a lot, you should be in Voln, particularly if you intend to go in solo. You can join a group just fine whatever your society. Reim is not the place to hunt without outside spells. Reim is the reason I have a sack with gems blessed with every spell a cleric can bless into them.

>I dont mind a long/painful road to some degree but i think my fighting/playing style is just to swing a huge fricken sword, take some hits and shrug them off.

THW warrior is an obvious way to do this. 3x armor and get in MBP at level 22. I'm not sure it pays to be in full plate asap, but getting into MBP is huge and thats the point where you start to shrug hits off. Prior to that you get as damaged as anyone and more than most due to your relatively low DS and high RT compared to other styles of play.

Beware of swapping speed for strength on a THW user. Low AGIDEX hurts more than you'd think if you haven't played a slow race to mid level with a THW before.
Re: THW warriors 05/24/2020 07:57 AM CDT
"Reim is the reason I have a sack with gems blessed with every spell a cleric can bless into them." -- Rathboner

This. THIS is the step that I keep forgetting to do!

I keep getting hung up on Create Item/420 and the whole "thinking of Mage & Sorcerer spells only" step.

Thanks for the reminder! :)
Re: THW warriors 05/24/2020 08:02 AM CDT

I have decided to do Sunfist, just have to find a way to get some harness power in the my training for the sigils.

The plan (after finishing sunfist) is to THW, get into plate soon as possible. I am having a hard time deciding how much MOC, ambush and dodge to train per lvl.

My current core training is going to be 2x THW, 3x Armor, 3x PT, 2x CM, any insight is again appreciated.

I plan at 20 to redo stats and have enough AGI/DEX bonus to swing my claid in 5sec, i wont be aiming with it but if i have to change up weapons I think aiming will be helpful but maybe if i am short on points i could just drop ambush completely.
Re: THW warriors 05/24/2020 08:05 AM CDT
"MBP at level 22. I'm not sure it pays to be in full plate asap, but getting into MBP is huge and thats the point where you start to shrug hits off. Prior to that you get as damaged as anyone" -- Rathboner

To be fair, you can be in chain (okay, torso only) at what, 11th level/12 trains/35 of 36 possible ranks == 130 skill, and you've got the RT accounted for?

While chain isn't quite as good as plate, you are still taking less damage if you get tagged.

Sure, it's still better not to get hit at all, but compared to someone singling who may only be at the high end of the Soft Leather group... <shrug>
Re: THW warriors 05/24/2020 09:08 AM CDT
My current core training is going to be 2x THW, 3x Armor, 3x PT, 2x CM, any insight is again appreciated.

From my experience you are going to wish you could train in 2x Dodge but won't have enough points for it. I'd definitely have this on the radar as well.

-- Robert

>> A halfling magistrate picks up a small rock and throws it at a half-elven bandit in a valiant effort to subdue him.
Re: THW warriors 05/24/2020 01:06 PM CDT
<Sure, it's still better not to get hit at all, but compared to someone singling who may only be at the high end of the Soft Leather group... >

I would seriously question the sanity of a warrior that was 1x in Armor. Rogues can get away with it cause they have the shadows and monks have their mental spells, but warriors don't have either of those, so they're going to get hit and need to minimize the impact of that (esp if they're not using a shield). Sure, they can get a dreavening and probably be ok, but why use a crutch when you can stand on your own two legs?

Not saying they have to be full 3x, but 1x is just unnecessarily painful.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: THW warriors 05/24/2020 02:23 PM CDT
My point was that a warrior (who can triple) is that much further ahead on the armor protection they reap versus someone who is only singling.
(Like a spellcaster, or a Semi. I know that most of my own Semis only single in Armor Use, because "double the training points" starts getting expensive.)

I agree that pretty much every Fighter will normally be doubled, and most likely want to throw down some triples if they can afford it (or make it their core plan, as we're talking about here).
Re: THW warriors 05/24/2020 02:44 PM CDT

I was wondering about how much dodge to plan for, I thought there was a major penalty while in plate.
Re: THW warriors 05/24/2020 04:01 PM CDT
>I was wondering about how much dodge to plan for, I thought there was a major penalty while in plate.

There's a penalty, its not that major: 10% in MBP, 17.5% in full plate. Overtraining reduces it.

>From my experience you are going to wish you could train in 2x Dodge but won't have enough points for it.

+1
Re: THW warriors 05/24/2020 07:30 PM CDT

you guys are great, thanks for all the help hopefully I will make warriors proud!
Re: THW warriors 05/25/2020 09:41 AM CDT

>From my experience you are going to wish you could train in 2x Dodge but won't have enough points for it.

Clunk 2x'd Dodge, until somewhere around level 80. He had zeroed TWC and MOC all his career, but has been slowly trading off the dodge to add those to his training.

Shield is a touch over 2X. Brawl, OHE, Armor, Physical Fitness, and maneuvers are all steady 2X core training.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)