Returning Help 12/09/2019 07:25 PM CST
I've been away for a little over 2 years and upon returning I'm looking at my warrior and trying to figure out what I was doing. I was going sword and board, with the intention of group hunting (rp was based on being sort of a shield wall) but I feel like my Combat/Shield Maneuvers are a bit all over the place.

Stats are:

Race: Human Profession: Warrior
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 100 (30) ... 100 (30)
Constitution (CON): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
Dexterity (DEX): 92 (21) ... 92 (21)
Agility (AGI): 84 (17) ... 84 (17)
Discipline (DIS): 82 (16) ... 82 (16)
Aura (AUR): 69 (9) ... 69 (9)
Logic (LOG): 99 (29) ... 99 (29)
Intuition (INT): 53 (6) ... 53 (6)
Wisdom (WIS): 69 (9) ... 69 (9)
Influence (INF): 48 (-1) ... 48 (-1)

Skills:
Skill Name | Actual Actual
| Bonus Ranks Goals In-Game Time to Goal
Armor Use..........................| 211 111 111
Shield Use.........................| 211 111 111
Combat Maneuvers...................| 174 74 74
Edged Weapons......................| 174 74 74
Ambush.............................| 111 27 27
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 134 37 37
Physical Fitness...................| 174 74 74
Dodging............................| 134 37 37
Perception.........................| 134 37 37
Climbing...........................| 82 18 18
Swimming...........................| 82 18 18
Training Points: 0 Phy 26 Mnt (610 Mnt converted to Phy)

And then CMANs and SHIELDs:

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Specialization I wspec1 3
Weapon Bonding bonding 5
Combat Mobility mobility 1
Block Mastery bmastery 2
Griffin's Voice griffin 1

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Tower Shield Focus tfocus 4
Shield Bash bash 2
Prop Up prop 2
Block the Elements eblock 1
Guard Mastery gmastery 2
Protective Wall pwall 2
Shield Strike strike 3

Available Shield Training Points: 13

Does this look reasonable? Anything I absolutely NEED to get/change? Currently using a bastard sword, but I may be changing that to a short sword soon for RP purposes (though if they're totally awful that might not last).

Thanks,
D
Re: Returning Help 12/09/2019 08:50 PM CST
<Does this look reasonable? Anything I absolutely NEED to get/change? Currently using a bastard sword, but I may be changing that to a short sword soon for RP purposes (though if they're totally awful that might not last).>

Everything looks good to me, I don't see anything you're doing that's wrong...

That said, if you want TPs for a second weapon type like Brawling/OHB or a secondary skill like MIU, Dodging isn't necessary with 3x Shield Use and a tower shield. Extra defense is always good, but it's an option available to you.

Also, there's nothing wrong with having climbing and swimming at .5x, but it's not doing anything for you unless you need it to get into a hunting ground. 15 ranks in each is plenty to get you anywhere you need until sometime around level 70 if there's something you want that requires fewer TPs then dropping Dodge.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Returning Help 12/09/2019 09:06 PM CST
Ment to say, also.... a short sword's prolly too weak for a warrior. If you can aim for eyes well it might be ok, but you won't be getting the benefits from attacking from the shadows that a rogue or ranger would... which will make it harder to crit kill with it.

I'd suggest sticking to something with a higher DF. Handaxes, backswords, broadswords, falchions, katanas, and bastard swords are all good options for a warrior.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Returning Help 12/09/2019 10:21 PM CST
You are not going to like a short sword. A shielded warrior has to use one of the heavier DF weapons available. I carried a lighter weapon for ages, but past level 30 I never found a use for it. If you want a shield wall OHE weapon, use the handaxe, not the gladius.

Assuming you are backing them up with guild skills, you have what you need in CMAN/SMAN.

At some point you should get trample. If you aren't planning on bulwark being your next major expenditure in shield points it should probably be trample.
Re: Returning Help 12/09/2019 10:30 PM CST
Thank you for the replies!

Mastered in Warrior Tricks and Berserk. Working on War Cries, but could switch to Disarm instead. It was one or the other and I prioritized Cries for group based RP. Is there much of a difference between a handaxe and say, a falchion? From an RP standpoint, falchion would be easier to swing (pun intended) but if handaxe is just flat out superior, I could make it work.

I've got trample on my radar, but I wasn't super impressed with it when I tried it out ages ago. That may change for higher level hunting grounds though, and it does seem a staple. I'll have to revisit it.

Thanks again!
Re: Returning Help 12/10/2019 10:42 AM CST
I also meant to respond Re: Dodge/Climbing/Swimming.

I think Climb/Swim are just throwbacks to habits from ages ago. I'm so used to .5x Climbing and Swimming (so that I have them when I need them), but I never really paid much attention to the actual cut-offs for each area. So I appreciate the heads up there, I'll drop them down to 15 until it becomes an issue. As for Dodge, I think it's based on the fact that I rarely get spells and I feel like I always get beat to heck while hunting and the extra defense is necessary. But that could just be perception vs. reality and the extra DS isn't really helping me much.

He's in Voln, so having some Brawling would be helpful just to get some use from the options there, and I like the new unarmed combat system.

Thank you again for pointing these things out, sometimes I think I get so stuck in the trees that I not only miss the forest but also the fact that there's a path 5 feet to the right that would make my life so much easier.

-D
Re: Returning Help 12/10/2019 11:50 AM CST
<He's in Voln, so having some Brawling would be helpful just to get some use from the options there, and I like the new unarmed combat system.>

My warrior trains in Blunt/Brawling, and you're training isn't significantly different then hers. The only real difference I can think of from when she was your level is she trained in AS to make use of scrolls.

Before UCS came out, she was training in Thrown, but that was NEVER practical (more something to show off with in the rare instance I was group hunting)... but Brawling is very nice to have, esp when I find myself in front of something that's heavily armored. OHE/OHB doesn't have the oomph that THW and some Polearms do against higher ASGs, so it's nice to have an attack that can basically ignore plate (ok, it doesn't really ignore armor, but UCS is enough of an improvement against it that it feels like it does).

I'd suggest finding something 5-10 levels beneath you to go out and practice using UCS on before you start trying to use it for real. It's not as complicated to use as it looks at first glance, but it's different enough from normal attacks it can take some getting used to. I generally keep my shield out when using it, though I'll sometimes sling it over my shoulder if I get frustrated and am reasonably sure nothing else will wander in (without Dodge or TWC training my DS takes a pretty big hit, but it removes the penalty of holding a tower shield and I'm in plate so I can take a couple hits if I have to). Using Shield Bash or another CM to make them prone and/or stunned will also help overcome the negatives of wearing heavy armor and holding a shield while using UCS.

Sometimes I open with a Jab, other times it's a Punch... it depends on how patient I am at the moment. An opportunity to tier up is more likely with Jab, but it doesn't do near as much damage as a Punch... on the other hand, it's easier to crit kill once you've tiered up at least once. Lastly, get yerself a set of gloves/boots that are 4x or greater, you can get by without them but there's absolutely no drawback to just wearing a set all the time (they'll need to be blessable if you're hunting undead, but flaring gloves/boots are nice against the living).

Starchitin, the OG

Re: Returning Help 12/10/2019 12:04 PM CST
"Lastly, get yerself a set of gloves/boots that are 4x or greater, you can get by without them but there's absolutely no drawback to just wearing a set all the time (they'll need to be blessable if you're hunting undead, but flaring gloves/boots are nice against the living)." -- Starchitin

If you find yourself spending time in Icemule (& parts North) or Teras, getting some of the Realm Flare versions (fire for cold areas, cold for fire areas) may be extremely well worth it. I know Duskruin had some, so if anyone bought spares you might find 'em in a PlayerShop.
Re: Returning Help 12/10/2019 12:14 PM CST
> From an RP standpoint, falchion would be easier to swing (pun intended) but if handaxe is just flat out superior, I could make it work.

Its probably superior, but not flat out. The handaxe is noticeably better against plate, but swords have the edge against weak armors. Being better against plate is probably more valuable in the long run.

Swords like falchions are markers of elite status and for use in open combat, not in a wall. They take too much space to swing. If you are a commander you will likely have one, and might use it at some point in a battle when the ranks had broken, but they don't get used in formation. Apart from the era when the legions used the gladius, the normal shield wall weapon is the spear. Vikings may have made some use of one handed axes, though their normal battle axe was a two hander used by the elite troops rather than in the shield wall.

The falchion itself is too modern to have been used in the context of a shield wall, but it has the right GS mechanics for the sort of weapon a commander or elite fighter would have had, but its use would be in duelling other elites or for cutting down broken and fleeing opponents not fighting in ranks.

GS weapon mechanics are based on an era when shield walls were centuries out of date and consequently shield wall style gear is decidedly inferior in GS. You have to compromise on whatever aspect of the RP or effectiveness to best suit your idea of what you want to play.
Re: Returning Help 12/10/2019 04:16 PM CST
>Lastly, get yerself a set of gloves/boots that are 4x or greater, you can get by without them but there's absolutely no drawback to just wearing a set all the time (they'll need to be blessable if you're hunting undead, but flaring gloves/boots are nice against the living).

One thing to note, the handwraps/footwraps do not need to be blessed for a Voln member to hit the undead using UCS. You will still be able to hit them, you just won't get the enchant plus for them when hitting undead unless they are blessed.

A brawling weapon in your hand is a different story.

~Contemplar~
Re: Returning Help 12/10/2019 07:25 PM CST
Heh, yea.... I prolly should have been more specific that anyone that's progressed far enough to have Kai's Strike doesn't need blessed gloves. Just wanted to avoid confusion as to why they wouldn't get the enchant bonuses or flares against undead...

Starchitin, the OG

Re: Returning Help 12/10/2019 07:27 PM CST
>The falchion itself is too modern to have been used in the context of a shield wall, but it has the right GS mechanics for the sort of weapon a commander or elite fighter would have had, but its use would be in duelling other elites or for cutting down broken and fleeing opponents not fighting in ranks.

I was basing the idea of a falchion off the falcata that based on the (admittedly limited) reading I did, was something that was present during the legion's time. As you may have guessed, part of the reason I was intending to go for a short sword was because the character is loosely (very, because as you pointed out shield wall style gear is inferior) based on a roman legionary. I felt that within that context, the falcata (super stretching as a falx) could work. Handaxe just didn't seem to fit, BUT I'm pretty flexible and as I said the character is pretty loosely based. Definitely would not have been one of the elite/commander.

Thank you for the insight, it's clear I need to do a little more research to see what really fits for the character I want to play. I'm willing to bend, but I'd like to be at least in the ballpark!
Re: Returning Help 12/10/2019 07:29 PM CST
I completely forgot about brawling gear, I'll have to look into those.

Thanks Starchitin and Contemplar!

And Krakii, though I think realm flaring stuff is probably outside my affordable range!
Re: Returning Help 12/11/2019 09:15 AM CST
"And Krakii, though I think realm flaring stuff is probably outside my affordable range!" -- Garou44

5x realm-flaring boots & gauntlets were each 2000 bloodscrip at the most recent Duskruin, or just a bit over seven perfect (@275) runs apiece.
Figure two (2) books of ten (10) tickets each will do you.
(And probably a LOT faster than grinding 4M silvers, at least the way I hunt: ~5 minutes for each of 16 runs is about 80 minutes.)

Let me know if you need a hand in February when the next Duskruin runs. :)
Re: Returning Help 12/11/2019 09:35 AM CST
<(And probably a LOT faster than grinding 4M silvers, at least the way I hunt: ~5 minutes for each of 16 runs is about 80 minutes.)>

I almost made a snarky comment.... then I realized that it would lead to me having to give away my spots and I still have my cleric to get through that level range....

So, I'll just say that if one is smart enough to not hunt around the Landing, 4m in the month between now and DR is certainly doable in one's late 30s... esp if one has hoarded a bunch of loot boosts.

Starchitin, the OG

Re: Returning Help 12/11/2019 10:19 AM CST
"at least the way I hunt" -- Me

"4m in the month between now and DR is certainly doable" -- Starchitin

Oh, no question: if you hunt in well-traveled areas (I've got the Fighter up on the glacier, so titans & frost giants) they're going to be poor as dirt.

Take advantage of the people going over to Duskruin, too, though!
I would normally see treasure during Arena-time crank upwards from "coral & green garnets" where it's been hovering, through "white opals & star/yellow sapphires" and "black opals & blue/pink sapphires" to reach "uncut diamonds & emeralds" by the end of a two-week run.

Then the event would finish, and in a week the gem values have dropped again. Heh.